Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    N rams game ticker ;'(

very disappointed

Same here, they went very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

wawaman wrote: »
    Mike Singletary interviewing today for the position of linebacker coach

Would he be interested in playing LB by any chance, I know he is pushing on in years but prob better than most of what we have.

Justin Tuck has announced his retirement from the game today. A true Giants legend, would love to see us being him back and allow to retire a Giant. 60.5 sacks & 2 SuperBowls in 9 seasons is not a bad return for a 3rd round pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Beason, Beatty and Schwartz all cut. Good players but none of them can stay healthy. Think this move frees up about $18M plus we should be bringing Cruz's number down by about $5/6M too. Reese should have a lot of money to play around with in FA.

Rumour has it that Ayers is gone too. I was hoping we would resign him but he might cost too much. He's definitely get a better deal elsewhere and I'll be gutted if he leaves and we give JPP big money.

I wonder will Pugh move to RT now with Flowers at LT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

glued wrote: »
    Beason, Beatty and Schwartz all cut. Good players but none of them can stay healthy. Think this move frees up about $18M plus we should be bringing Cruz's number down by about $5/6M too. Reese should have a lot of money to play around with in FA.

Rumour has it that Ayers is gone too. I was hoping we would resign him but he might cost too much. He's definitely get a better deal elsewhere and I'll be gutted if he leaves and we give JPP big money.

I wonder will Pugh move to RT now with Flowers at LT?

Beason has retired

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Just hired ex Lions GM Martin Mayhew as Director of Football Operations

Just hired ex Lions GM Martin Mayhew as Director of Football Operations

Help me out here, what will that role encompass.

Justin Tuck is going to sign a one day contract & retire a Giant. Delighted to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Help me out here, what will that role encompass.

Basically help with recruitment from a college level..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Wow we're active in FA

Vernon, Jenkins, JPP & Harrison

Plenty of new toys for Spags

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Wow we're active in FA

Vernon, Jenkins, JPP & Harrison

Plenty of new toys for Spags

do the Giants not run a 4-3 defense? A one gap NT like Harrison would be a pretty poor fit in that sort of defense

Not sure about where we will go in the draft now. Maybe trade up for Jack or trade back and take Conklin?

phatkev wrote: »
    do the Giants not run a 4-3 defense? A one gap NT like Harrison would be a pretty poor fit in that sort of defense

Yea we run a 4-3 but Harrison could def play 0 technique next to Hankins, who is underrated at pressuring from DT. With JPP & Vernon flanking there should be real pressure applied.

phatkev wrote: »

Yeah but he's going to be a massive upgrade over what we have anyway. He'll be a two down run stuffer I'd say freeing up Hankins more to pressure the QB. Hankins has serious pass rush potential too IMO and he has been massively restricted. The Giants should have locked up Linval Joesph and we could have saved a lot of this hassle!

glued wrote: »
    Yeah but he's going to be a massive upgrade over what we have anyway. He'll be a two down run stuffer I'd say freeing up Hankins more to pressure the QB. Hankins has serious pass rush potential too IMO and he has been massively restricted. The Giants should have locked up Linval Joesph and we could have saved a lot of this hassle!

Great minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I can't even comprehend what's gone on today

Reese has spent as he knows he's on the chopping block if we go poorly again this year

I struggle to believe we spend what we did today if Eli wasn't in the twilight of his career, and OBJ still on his rookie deal. Its boom or bust time.

Wonder how JPP feels, seeing Vernon's contract. JPP prior to his injury was easily the better player.

• Advertisement

Reese has spent as he knows he's on the chopping block if we go poorly again this year

Agreed but I will say that all 3 acquisitions are long term pieces. Jenkins & Harrison are 27 & Vernon is only 25. In theory all 3 will have their best years during these contracts.

The money spent on these 3 makes a lot more sense than spending $8 million a year on Mario Williams. They are big investments but if we have a solid o-line & add some WR he then we really should be pushing for the playoffs.

We have to resign Pugh & Hankins next year. Richburg, Kennard, and OBJ the year after, off the top of my head.

5th year option will be there for Pugh and OBJ though, right?

Knex. wrote: »
    Wonder how JPP feels, seeing Vernon's contract. JPP prior to his injury was easily the better player.

JPP would be in the $100 million club with JJ Watt if he hadn't blown off his hand. That said he is only 27 as well so if he has a big year again this year, and the pieces are in place to allow him do this, then he can still get big money next year. Sadly if he does it won't be with us.

We have to resign Pugh & Hankins next year. Richburg, Kennard, and OBJ the year after, off the top of my head.

5th year option will be there for Pugh and OBJ though, right?

Correct, the more you look at it the more you see Reese looking at the Panthers, Hawks & Broncos & realising that the D can win it if your offense stays out of its own way. With Eli, OBJ, Jennings, Vereen, Flowers, Richburg & Pugh you have an O that can hang. Add another o-lineman & WR (assuming Cruz isn't back) & you have enough there.

Spending so much on D in FA leaves us open to going O heavy in the draft

Spending so much on D in FA leaves us open to going O heavy in the draft

I don't see a lot of offensive talent in this draft. Elliot, Tunsil, and perhaps Staley aside, not many top 20 O talent.

Great depth at D though. Would love Myles Jack if he drops to 10. Even Ragland, although might be a reach at 10.

Can see us going for Elliot now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

HigginsJ wrote: »
    JPP would be in the $100 million club with JJ Watt if he hadn't blown off his hand. That said he is only 27 as well so if he has a big year again this year, and the pieces are in place to allow him do this, then he can still get big money next year. Sadly if he does it won't be with us.

Surely the production had tailed off before he blew his hand off. Still an effective player but never really became the true superstar he seemed certain to be.

Vernon is obv getting mad money. Exciting times for you guys tho. :)

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Surely the production had tailed off before he blew his hand off. Still an effective player but never really became the true superstar he seemed certain to be.

Vernon is obv getting mad money. Exciting times for you guys tho. :)

He was, in my mind, outstanding the year just before it. And while the sacks weren't there the year prior, he was still absolutely dominant against the run.

He faces all pro LTs six times a year too. Not many DE have to do that.

Always felt he was underrated by Giants fans because of the way he spoke/carried himself.

Victor Cruz is sticking around which is great news. Going to be working off a base salary of $1.5 million with incentives up to $5.5 million, just get on the field & the O will be so much better.

• Advertisement

I don't see a lot of offensive talent in this draft. Elliot, Tunsil, and perhaps Staley aside, not many top 20 O talent.

Great depth at D though. Would love Myles Jack if he drops to 10. Even Ragland, although might be a reach at 10.

Can see us going for Elliot now though.

Jack would be great at 10 but still can't see Reese touching an LB. I could Ve wrong but I just don't see it with Elliott, if we were to go RB I would much rather Henry at the top of the 2nd.

Would we still maybe look to take a pass rusher high as outside of the starters there is not a tonne there. If JPP plays to how I think he will we wouldn't be able to bring him back so Spence, Lawson or Buckner as insurance could be a good play.

Advertisement