Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

check carphone warehouse's trade in offers also i reckon mate. they might give you more off with the 3gs.

most s3's are unlocked afaik. but tied to bilpay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Lads, I popped into one of those phone unlocking shops (you know the kind, sells covers, cases, etc) and was offered €80 cash for my iPhone 3GS 16GB or a trade of my phone against a new sim-free S3 for approx €450.

Considering the S3 is €579 in Vodafone on Prepay and you are locked to Vodafone, this seems like a good deal...is it?

Has anyone bought a phone of this expense from these kinds of shops before and what was your experience if you did?

Is there any check I can do on the box before handing over money to ensure the phone is legit?

Sell your 3GS on adverts.ie - 150
    Buy S3 on adverts.ie - 400
    Cost to you - 250
    Above figures are approx but a good indicator.
    Simple;)

dodzy wrote: »
    Sell your 3GS on adverts.ie - 150
    Buy S3 on adverts.ie - 400
    Cost to you - 250
    Above figures are approx but a good indicator.
    Simple;)

if an s3 is going for that price on adverts i wouldnt trust that the imei wont get blocked in a few weeks and you wont be able to get your money back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

kenyard wrote: »
    if an s3 is going for that price on adverts i wouldnt trust that the imei wont get blocked in a few weeks and you wont be able to get your money back...

There are quite a few S3s going on adverts but is there anyway to check that the phone you are buying isn't going to be locked (as mentioned above) or isn't stolen.

Its a lot of money to be handing over for a phone that I don't know where it can from

There are quite a few S3s going on adverts but is there anyway to check that the phone you are buying isn't going to be locked (as mentioned above) or isn't stolen.

Its a lot of money to be handing over for a phone that I don't know where it can from

then again i was looking at my parents. both are due upgrades and would get the phone free on theirs probably, or relatively cheap so i was trying to convince them get the phones and sell them, keep the money and use it towards paying bills etc...
    am sure there are others like this who prefer their ancient easy to use phones and just take the upgrade to sell it on.
    its very easy unlock the phone also, its why most operators nowadays dont bother locking them (but has also let to the price increase in phones on billpay)

• Advertisement

A lot of adverts sales are from members with a good feedback count, and are free upgrades. The seller is prob quite happy with his / her handset and happy with their provider so it is a quick way to make a few quid. I would have no concerns purchasing from adverts from a seller with a good feedback count; none whatsoever.

A lot of adverts sales are from members with a good feedback count, and are free upgrades. The seller is prob quite happy with his / her handset and happy with their provider so it is a quick way to make a few quid. I would have no concerns purchasing from adverts from a seller with a good feedback count; none whatsoever.

dude - after your above comment I decided to look a bit closer and found a guy with great feedback, living just up the road from me selling an S3! Negotiated and collected it yesterday evening!! I wouldn't have gone for it only your positive feedback - never used Adverts before

Absolutely loving the phone so far! It is stunning...all the neat little tricks it can do! This morning I woke up to it telling me the weather and newsheadlines!

My wife told me to stop showing me all the cool bits and pieces cos she'll have to go and buy one too!

Let the learning begin! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

How do I disable to low battery beeping ? its doing my head in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Quick question guys.

I've downloaded Cabbage Ultimate as a means of texting my friends in the UK. Everytime I get a text message now, it goes through to my Cabbage inbox and my regular inbox. Can I either:

(a) Stop it going into my Cabbage inbox?

or

(b) Stop getting notifications from Cabbage that I have a new message?

I really only want to use Cabbage to send messages, I'm slightly obssesive in that I after I read a message in my regular inbox, I have to clear the notification from Cabbage saying I have the same message in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm slightly obssesive in that I after I read a message in my regular inbox

You think? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Absolutely loving the phone so far! It is stunning...all the neat little tricks it can do! This morning I woke up to it telling me the weather and newsheadlines!

Let the learning begin! :pac:

Love mine, best phone ever
    What app do you set that alarm with news and weather with

I have AlarmDroid but not entirely happy, probably because I have not spent enough time setting it up
    Well wear with urs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Quick question guys.

I've downloaded Cabbage Ultimate as a means of texting my friends in the UK. Everytime I get a text message now, it goes through to my Cabbage inbox and my regular inbox. Can I either:

(a) Stop it going into my Cabbage inbox?

or

(b) Stop getting notifications from Cabbage that I have a new message?

I really only want to use Cabbage to send messages, I'm slightly obssesive in that I after I read a message in my regular inbox, I have to clear the notification from Cabbage saying I have the same message in there too.

It can be done, I just don't know how. Ask in this thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055832515) and you should get an answer.

bogman wrote: »
    Love mine, best phone ever
    What app do you set that alarm with news and weather with

I have AlarmDroid but not entirely happy, probably because I have not spent enough time setting it up
    Well wear with urs

Its the default "Clock" app that it came with..i changed alarm type to "briefing" and set the briefing contents to weather and news...you can add "today's schedule" also if you wanted which I presume would read out the contents of your calendar for the day...meetings etc..

A question for everyone....is the source of the news briefing set on the alarm or can I ask the S3 to take headlines for other places? I'd like irish specific headlines like from Journal.ie or something like that

I want to buy an Micro SD card for my S3....is there a difference between SD and SDHC? i.e. is there a kind of card that I should be only getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Is there any trick to using the pal swipe screenshot function. Can't get it to work

I want to buy an Micro SD card for my S3....is there a difference between SD and SDHC? i.e. is there a kind of card that I should be only getting?

just check the class. i.e class 4,6,8,10 sdhc generall means class 6 or above

it determines the speed stuff can be put onto it or taken off. it refers to the write speed, so once its on theres generally no issues with playback etc.. class 4 = 4mb/s, class 6 = 6mb/s etc...
    recording the hd video on it may require a higher speed card also to work with recording to sd card (i think its ~2mb/s so probably wont tbh)

there is currently no class above 10 afaik, though they do go above it in speeds (theyre just still called class 10). i bought an official samsung 32Gb one for ~20 euro, a mate of mine bought a 64Gb one, though i dont know the cost :)
    nice bumps in storage though :D
    check amazon for micro sd's imo. you can get them cheap. i just wanted to put movies on it and stuff, so wanted a higher speed for transfers, having a class 2 and putting on 3-4Gb of movies would take a few hours...it takes me around 3 mins to put a 1Gb file on mine its why i went with the higher class one, but a class 4 will do you just as good if you are just using it for storing your pictures etc...

@ above post about palm screenshot. you need to have motion turned on in settings, and that individual one enabled there also. then use side of your hand to swipe across screen (which i find also scrolls to another homescreen when on main screen sometimes and takes a picture half way :P)
    i cant tell you where setting is as im running newer firmware which has completely changed it, but its somewhere in settings

@ above post about palm screenshot. you need to have motion turned on in settings, and that individual one enabled there also. then use side of your hand to swipe across screen (which i find also scrolls to another homescreen when on main screen sometimes and takes a picture half way :P)
    i cant tell you where setting is as im running newer firmware which has completely changed it, but its somewhere in settings

Im running jelly bean too. Its under motion and at the bottom of those settings theres a tick box for hand swipe screenshot. Thats on and I cant get it to work. I got it to work on a demo S3 before, but now I cant work it on my own handset or the demo, bit confused.

Also the eye tracking thing barely works for me either, its usually the worst in the dark where it picks up my eye for a second and then loses it the next and also switches the screen off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Pushing the power button on the side and centre key on bottom together also take a screen shot. So much easier than swipe.

Redsunset wrote: »
    Pushing the power button on the side and centre key on bottom together also take a screen shot. So much easier than swipe.

oO indeed it does :)
    as for the palm swipe. working here, so i dunno why you have an issue. tried disabling and re-enabling it? or maybe just a phone restart. seems odd its not working....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Hi guys. Quick question about battery charging. When you are charged to 100% the home screen will say please disconnect charger.

Is it unhealthy to keep it plugged in when fully charged? Is the battery kept in charge mode even when fully charged and its damaged as a result?

I ask because I just bought a car dock for my SG3 and it has a power in dock option. Would i be better off removing the battery when using it rather than having it fully charged in the dock for a long journey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Hi guys. Quick question about battery charging. When you are charged to 100% the home screen will say please disconnect charger.

Is it unhealthy to keep it plugged in when fully charged? Is the battery kept in charge mode even when fully charged and its damaged as a result?

I ask because I just bought a car dock for my SG3 and it has a power in dock option. Would i be better off removing the battery when using it rather than having it fully charged in the dock for a long journey?

Dont worry about it, besides you cannot remove the battery and have it work AFAIK, the battery completes the circuit I think.

As fionny states, don't worry. Internal circuitry prevents ovcharging on the S3. Charge away;)

Redsunset wrote: »

oO indeed it does :)
    as for the palm swipe. working here, so i dunno why you have an issue. tried disabling and re-enabling it? or maybe just a phone restart. seems odd its not working....

Tried all options. Power button and home button don't work either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

fionny wrote: »
    Dont worry about it, besides you cannot remove the battery and have it work AFAIK, the battery completes the circuit I think.
    As fionny states, don't worry. Internal circuitry prevents ovcharging on the S3. Charge away;)

Thanks guys. Although I wasn't worried about the phone being damaged from over charging rather the battery, from constantly being on a charge cycle. Responses appreciated none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

guys./..how reliable are those unlocks for the S3 (vodafone) on ebay?
    Mate has offered me his new one but it's locked to VF.I'm currently on three.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SIM-network-unlock-PIN-Vodafone-IRISH-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-S-3-III-GT-i9300-/251146164006?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item3a797a5726#ht_4778wt_1163

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Blazer wrote: »
    guys./..how reliable are those unlocks for the S3 (vodafone) on ebay?
    Mate has offered me his new one but it's locked to VF.I'm currently on three.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SIM-network-unlock-PIN-Vodafone-IRISH-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-S-3-III-GT-i9300-/251146164006?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item3a797a5726#ht_4778wt_1163

If your phone is rooted, save yourself €20 and just download this app.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1846451

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

brand new phone..still in the box..am getting a good deal on it so don't mind paying out the €20 or so to get it unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Blazer wrote: »

brand new phone..still in the box..am getting a good deal on it so don't mind paying out the €20 or so to get it unlocked.

Just use the app dude, it works perfectly!

agreed. its very easy to root and unlock.
    all these unlock codes do essentially the same thing as the above.
    i dont know of anyone paying to unlock and most people wont have since its free the method above so you probably wont get an answer about how reliable it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Finally after many many weeks of losing WiFi connection my problem is no more.

Here's the solution.
    Dial *#0011#
    Presented with a Service screen
    Press left flat button beside the raised centre key
    Press WiFi in next screen menu.
    Now you see an ON button
    Press this to turn off a stupid WiFi power saver that was causing the dropout.
    That's it. Bob's your father's brother.

Happy days are here again....:)

This is what your looking for.
    I've some private info blanked out.

220801.png

Advertisement