Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

kenyard wrote: »
    thats at least 6 months away.....
    but still very fast release alright..
    dont like the fact theyre upscaling the screen again. maybe the phone wont increase much in size if they have less space for keys on it, but i reckon 5" might be going a bit extreme...

Everyone is reading it wrong, they are expected to ANNOUNCE the phone in Feb but probably wont ship it until April or May.

This post has been deleted.

I get 2 days without any funny business with mine, I leave wifi on all the time, i have syncs running with Gmail, contacts, facebook and a number of others. No problems.

Leave power saving off it actually works better without it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

fionny wrote: »
    Everyone is reading it wrong, they are expected to ANNOUNCE the phone in Feb but probably wont ship it until April or May.

But the article as well says global release in March 2013

leemaree wrote: »
    But the article as well says global release in March 2013

Ill believe it when i see it. Any of these super early dates are nearly always pushed out and out and out, Anyone remember the Galaxy s2 release?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Ill believe it when i see it. Any of these super early dates are nearly always pushed out and out and out, Anyone remember the Galaxy s2 release?

I know but this might be different. I reckon they might want to get it out ASAP to compete with the iphone 5. I know the S III has better stuff on it, but still :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

yeah true.. and anything they are mentioning there is only speculation really..
    doubt they would plan to use a camera in it that is out already when the phone is 6-9 months away also
    EDIT: then again the s3 camera was out over a year i suppose :D

leemaree wrote: »
    I know but this might be different. I reckon they might want to get it out ASAP to compete with the iphone 5. I know the S III has better stuff on it, but still :)

Seen as most of the people who like sammy stuff will be in contract until AT LEAST june 2013 or longer Id say it would be strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

post your battery stats with screen on time and awake thingy
    also you are running a jellybean rom arent you? my battery is poorer since goin on them also imo

• Advertisement

Mine currently:

220977.png

40min currently, not a typical day but even with more screen its not detrimental to the battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

No funny business here either and I used to get solid two days. Pretty much as below, wifi on, syncs, FB etc etc.

I was/am back using stock ICS (ALF2). Will post up the battery stats after a bit of use today.

Edit: Just a note to anyone trying the JB leaks. Be careful with allowing Google restore your apps automatically from your account. It caused some funkiness with my phone and I ended up with lots of force close errors. It took me a few flash attempts last night to figure out the cause.
    I restored my apps from Titanium Backup instead. (I should have done a nandroid backup - silly me!)
    I get 2 days without any funny business with mine, I leave wifi on all the time, i have syncs running with Gmail, contacts, facebook and a number of others. No problems.

Leave power saving off it actually works better without it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Thanks for the info. So I guess samsungs claim of 700+ standby hours not applicable to real use of the phone?

Would love the option to try the phone out for a week to see if I like it.

Thanks for the info. So I guess samsungs claim of 700+ standby hours not applicable to real use of the phone?

Well those figures are with the phone in standby literally not doing anything other then sitting there.

Though they are bull**** numbers to publish they should put average life based on some cross section of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

No phone lives up to the advertised stand by time.
    Well those figures are with the phone in standby literally not doing anything other then sitting there.

Though they are bull**** numbers to publish they should put average life based on some cross section of people.

Agreed - its is bull**** - misleading bull**** at that.

One of the review sites does a great battery test where they charge it full, spend an hour making a call, an hour surfing the net and an hour doing something else and then wait to see how long it takes to fully discharge. They then do some math and come up with a figure for how often you will have to recharge the phone -they call it an endurance rating - like every 40 hours or every 35 hours etc.

Its probably still over stating things but I find it more useful than the advertisers numbers.

Here this crowd:
    http://blog.gsmarena.com/category/battery-tests/
    Examples:
    Motorola Razr Maxx - 87hrs: http://blog.gsmarena.com/motorola-razr-maxx-battery-life-is-complete-makes-chargers-feel-lonely/
    HTC One X - 37 hours: http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-one-x-battery-test-concludes-the-results-are-inside/
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus - 31hrs: http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-battery-life-fully-tested-results-come-out-disappointing-test/
    Samsung Galaxy S2 - 40hrs: http://blog.gsmarena.com/our-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-battery-life-test-is-complete-check-out-how-it-did-test/
    iPhone 4s - 45hrs: http://blog.gsmarena.com/apple-iphone-4s-battery-test-is-complete-meet-our-new-champion-test/
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - 43hrs: http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-battery-test-is-ready-does-very-well/

Lol...love the URL for the razr maxx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

As above its just basic phone operation. No gsm or any other connectivity. No screen. I have no doubt it can last that, as far from my usage by 5 o'clock or so I'd be near 40% from 7 am.

Gets mW through the day but could be a lot better. Huge screen is taking most of that "huge" battery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I use our demo one at work virtually non-stop, especially with customers who are interested in the 4S and S3.

Both phones get a lot of use, running lots of youtube videos, camera tests and music quality. Even showing how quickly they load e-mail.

The S3 tends to get a day and a half, maybe two. The 4S gets about a day.

The S3 is (imo) a far better phone than the 4S and even the iPhone5 (from what we know), however people are largely put down by the apparent size of the phone, but don't take into account the (extremely) light weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I charge every night but the few times I've forgotten I get about a day and a half, I could probably get up to 2 if I pushed it.

Although if I'm in a low signal area I definitely notice that the power drains a lot faster

Also got a software update this morning. I'm using the three stock rom and got updated to 4.04 Build Number IMM76D.I9300XXBLH3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why are people concerned about getting 2 days out of a phone, do you guys not sleep? I find the battery is fine, I've loads left every night when I go to bed, I just charge it nightly

matrim wrote: »
    Also got a software update this morning. I'm using the three stock rom and got updated to 4.04 Build Number IMM76D.I9300XXBLH3

Sounds like Three catching up, no word on the offical Jelly Bean update yet, im loath to Root my GS3 as Im afraid ill go down the slippery slope i did with the GS2 constantly changing ROM's in the hope of finding the "perfect ROM" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Why are people concerned about getting 2 days out of a phone, do you guys not sleep? I find the battery is fine, I've loads left every night when I go to bed, I just charge it nightly

Sometimes not. I need a phone battery that can deal with that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭cena

Anyone having issues with battery. My mother has it and the battery doesn't last a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

If I forget to charge it, it's nice to know I'll get a second day out of it.

I don't have any spare batteries as well. But I've noticed it charges to 80+% pretty quickly.

Just for info - phone is currently at 45% - 1 day 1 hour since charged. Screen on time is ~ 2hr 40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Yeah they seem to be a week behind in the OTA update. There doesn't seem to be any changes to the phone though its more of an update before the updrade.

I dunno if its just me not noticing or it turning on a setting but i can now adjust brightness from the pull down notification.

Samsung haven't released a changelog for this version so doesn't seem to be anything important.

Did anyone else on other networks get this update earlier in the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

danniemcq wrote: »

Yeah they seem to be a week behind in the OTA update. There doesn't seem to be any changes to the phone though its more of an update before the updrade.

I dunno if its just me not noticing or it turning on a setting but i can now adjust brightness from the pull down notification.

Samsung haven't released a changelog for this version so doesn't seem to be anything important.

I haven't noticed many changes either. Stock browser has new top bar and backlight in pulldown only ones I've noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

danniemcq wrote: »

I haven't noticed many changes either. Stock browser has new top bar and backlight in pulldown only ones I've noticed

I hate the new stock browser top bar. I preferred the refresh button where it is before the upgrade. Its pointless having an onscreen back button at the top given there's a capacitive button at the bottom and do people use the forward button much? I would have preferred it in the menu. The refresh button in the URL bar is annoying it gives less room to press without affecting the URL bar itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I use our demo one at work virtually non-stop, especially with customers who are interested in the 4S and S3.

Both phones get a lot of use, running lots of youtube videos, camera tests and music quality. Even showing how quickly they load e-mail.

The S3 tends to get a day and a half, maybe two. The 4S gets about a day.

The S3 is (imo) a far better phone than the 4S and even the iPhone5 (from what we know), however people are largely put down by the apparent size of the phone, but don't take into account the (extremely) light weight.

Sonics, just as a matter of interest, is there a spotlight search feature on the S3 similar to that on the 4S ?

Also, just for general feedback, I've always found that in weak signal areas, the 4S suffers ( when compared to say an older nokia handset ). What about the S3 ? Would users view it as an improvement over the iphone ( ideally a Q for someone who has switched from the 4/4S to the darkside )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Some of us arent gettting a day sometimes. First thing im ordering of ebay is a battery recharge pack. I think one has been overdue for a long time and wont its just something I can keep in the car/backpack.

I think ive got left over way too many spare batteries over the years from having different phones.

Ive still yet to find a phone that beats the Nokia Express Music 5800 battery life :) Omnia 7 was probably the last smartphone that could easily do two days for me with above average use.

Advertisement