Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

This post has been deleted.

There's a separate brightness setting for the browser. You can change it in the browser settings, it's separate to the general brightness setting.

When I'm in the browser and press the menu button colours option is there. I have to constantly go into that and turn it up. I presume that's not the option I should be looking for???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I'm on the update that gave the brightness control in the pull down etc..

Are people still experiencing WIFI dropout.
    Happens a lot and is only thing I dislike to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

Redsunset wrote: »
    I'm on the update that gave the brightness control in the pull down etc..

either juice defender or your router causing it.
    anyone who has had issues its generally related to their router being old tech and when theyre using it elsewhere no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

WiFi does seem a bit ropey I'm forced to say in comparison to other devices in my setup.
    Certain areas in my house prove difficult for the S3, unless I use range extenders, whereas PCs, MacBook, iPad (and yes, even an old 3GS iPhone).....even a crappy Archos G9 have no issues whatsover and I have even seen the same flaky WiFi on a friend's S3.
    Running off a Netgear WNDR3700, which I wouldn't consider a poor router as it more than services every other wireless device in the house, and wireless performance at work is also in and out depending on location so I wouldn't be inclined to place the burden of proof on the router in my situation at home, rather on the S3, as I certainly won't be changing the router just for it.
    Its manageable, but its certainly the weak area for me on an otherwise excellent phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Don't have juice defender and router is not old tech. Use same router for laptop and never drops connection so it Defo the S3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

So...August 29th has come an gone guys.....anyone got the official Jelly Bean update yet? My Galaxy Tab 10.1 2 prompted me for an update this morning.....it seemed big and took ages to install and when I rebooted the home screen wallpaper had changed to that of the Galaxy S3 stock and I got excited!! The I checked and it was still on Android 4.0.4 :-(

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Does anyone know when the additional colours are being released in Ireland? (Black, Grey, Red, Brown)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

When I'm in the browser and press the menu button colours option is there. I have to constantly go into that and turn it up. I presume that's not the option I should be looking for???

Open the browser, then go to setting-colours and there should be a default option along with, level 1 2 and 3. Select which ever one you need

I9300XXDLH9 is out there since today and has just been made into an odin flashable version so im gonna try it out now. apparently there are no more force close issues, and i hafnt seen any other complaints about things not working besides some minor issues with keyboards -said issues are not present in the odin version, just the OTA, so im guessing after this its gonna go live alright.
    id give it another 3-7 days before i reckon its out probably as HA or HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

How do i get updates? does it do it automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Why did the ROM sizes get so big. I remember HTC always used to have images of around 400 mb. 800 mb is a lot considering stock Android ROM is only around 80mb

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Floodric

Figured id post it here to save starting a new thread. I recently got the s3 and am very happy with it. The only thing bothering me is watching YouTube videos. I have UPC 30mb connection, and using a speed test on my phone I get ~25mbps. However when I try to watch hd videos on YouTube the videos take forever to stream, resulting in the video pausing every few seconds. And with a screen this good it's a sin not to watch hd videos. Any ideas what's causing this? Or better yet, any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Redsunset wrote: »

Had this on my phone and changed the channel of the wifi on the router, all is well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭talla

I've GO SMS installed as my default messaging app however I'm having an extremely annoying problem. If i receive multiple text messages and havent had a chance to review when they came in, when I check notifications I'll have an entry for both GO SMS and the samsung messaging app.

Also happens if I receive a single message text message, if I just clear the notification and don't review the message, I'll eventually get a notification from the samsung app.

In the "receive settings" in GO SMS, I have "disable other message notification" checked. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

open "messaging", settings and disable notifications in there. Maybe go sms isn't doing it correctly.

talla wrote: »
    I've GO SMS installed as my default messaging app however I'm having an extremely annoying problem. If i receive multiple text messages and havent had a chance to review when they came in, when I check notifications I'll have an entry for both GO SMS and the samsung messaging app.

Also happens if I receive a single message text message, if I just clear the notification and don't review the message, I'll eventually get a notification from the samsung app.

In the "receive settings" in GO SMS, I have "disable other message notification" checked. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Well folks, I'm sure its been asked so apologies in advance. Moving a shedload of SMS from iphone 4s to S3....problem or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

dodzy wrote: »
    Well folks, I'm sure its been asked so apologies in advance. Moving a shedload of SMS from iphone 4s to S3....problem or not ?

Not used it so cannot speak for it:

http://www.backuptrans.com/tutorial/how-to-transfer-iphone-sms-to-android.html

there is other methods.

fionny wrote: »
    Not used it so cannot speak for it:

http://www.backuptrans.com/tutorial/how-to-transfer-iphone-sms-to-android.html

there is other methods.

Seen it alright, but ideally looking for a free method.

Seen it alright, but ideally looking for a free method.

Google it, there a loads of different methods.

• Advertisement

Hyping myself up to just go and get this phone....I've been debating in my head for the past week whether to get it or not. I'm tired of iPhone...

I'm currently checking all the combinations and permutations of who to buy it from and should I go BillPay or PrePay, what should I get on add-ons etc..

I'm with Vodafone and so is my wife so the free VF to VF calls and texts is a big factor for me but sometimes going to another provider as a new customer you get better deals..

Is the latest android update on vodafone versions of the S3 yet? Coming from iPhone I'm not up to date with all the android lingo but I believe that providers don't release them updates at the same time....or is this down to Samsung?

What colour seems to be the most popular? I think I like the marble white...not considered the girlie option is it?

fionny wrote: »
    Google it, there a loads of different methods.
    A lot of the those methods point to the paid software. I'm sure someone here has had success transferring SMS data from the iphone to the S3. Ideally, i would like to be able to retain the full timeline along with any pics which were sent during any communications.

A lot of the those methods point to the paid software. I'm sure someone here has had success transferring SMS data from the iphone to the S3. Ideally, i would like to be able to retain the full timeline along with any pics which were sent during any communications.

Im sorry but you didnt try its the FIRST return and the app associated is free:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iphone+sms+to+android&l=1

Is the latest android update on vodafone versions of the S3 yet? Coming from iPhone I'm not up to date with all the android lingo but I believe that providers don't release them updates at the same time....or is this down to Samsung?

What colour seems to be the most popular? I think I like the marble white...not considered the girlie option is it?

You are right in thinking networks have their own tweaks of the software, I would imagine Vodafone would be up to spec by now but if you are refferring to the very latest version of android Jelly Bean it is not yet out for the GS3

As for colour... its personal I went with the white and I wouldnt consider myself girlie I had dark coloured phones all my life and fancied a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭deep1

Use this link., I transfered over 7000 sms.
    faked.org/isms2droid/
    Before moving sms make sure to go to sms setting and change the conversation threads to 5000 instead of default 200, else messaging will crash and once all transfered then use chomp sms as messaging app lags a lot with that many sms.

Also managed to transfer all calender, and notes, contacts etc with kies.

Hope this helps.

deep1 wrote: »
    faked.org/isms2droid/
    Before moving sms make sure to go to sms setting and change the conversation threads to 5000 instead of default 200, else messaging will crash and once all transfered then use chomp sms as messaging app lags a lot with that many sms.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks deep, I had seen it ( and fionny was good enough to google it for me too ) but I need to keep the complete timeline including pictures and I'm thinking that isms2droid will just handle the text. Just curious about the lag you are referring to with the messages transferred. Is it really noticeable ?

faked.org/isms2droid/

Hope this helps.
    Thanks deep, I had seen it ( and fionny was good enough to google it for me too ) but I need to keep the complete timeline including pictures and I'm thinking that isms2droid will just handle the text. Just curious about the lag you are referring to with the messages transferred. Is it really noticeable ?
    Yeah, it will transfer them as you see on iphone, not sure abt pics but time line includes as after message transfer it starts to put them in thread.

Just a tip before you transfer iphone. Xml to sd card make sure you can read it in pc as sometime backup is corrupt and all comes as unknown.

Lag is very noticeable and takes abt 5-6 second to do any function but it is a small trade off if you can transfer all sms and use chomp sms without any lag. Only stock app has lag!

faked.org/isms2droid/

Hope this helps.

Sorry forget to mention, once you change the text message limit to 5000, also uncheck, the delete message option.

Hyping myself up to just go and get this phone....I've been debating in my head for the past week whether to get it or not. I'm tired of iPhone...

I'm currently checking all the combinations and permutations of who to buy it from and should I go BillPay or PrePay, what should I get on add-ons etc..

I'm with Vodafone and so is my wife so the free VF to VF calls and texts is a big factor for me but sometimes going to another provider as a new customer you get better deals..

the cost of the phone is rediculous with vodafone..i looked at it then just said no it doesnt make sense..maybe they have changed them since... also if you hold on there are 4 new colours coming out, the red, black, grey and ...brown i think is the 4th..

either way i dont really like the blue. the new colours look really nice if im being honest. the red really stands out and would suit vodafone i guess..
    everyone here has the white, but its the nicer of the 2 at the minute. also im guessing the new colours will not be out here for a while either.

jellybean (latest version of android) is out at the end of this month. just minor improvements, but nice all the same (you can preinstall it if you know how)

• Advertisement

Lads, I popped into one of those phone unlocking shops (you know the kind, sells covers, cases, etc) and was offered €80 cash for my iPhone 3GS 16GB or a trade of my phone against a new sim-free S3 for approx €450.

Considering the S3 is €579 in Vodafone on Prepay and you are locked to Vodafone, this seems like a good deal...is it?

Has anyone bought a phone of this expense from these kinds of shops before and what was your experience if you did?

Is there any check I can do on the box before handing over money to ensure the phone is legit?

Advertisement