Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Started trying out AOSP/AOKP roms on the S3 on Monday. One ROM ive been using for the day now is Resurrection ROM. I cant believe how much better the sound quality is with DSP Manager. Bass from the speaker is nice and clear, headphone volume goes up a lot louder and gives better bass with the same stock Samsung headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

Started trying out AOSP/AOKP roms on the S3 on Monday. One ROM ive been using for the day now is Resurrection ROM. I cant believe how much better the sound quality is with DSP Manager. Bass from the speaker is nice and clear, headphone volume goes up a lot louder and gives better bass with the same stock Samsung headphones.

one of the test jellybean leaks was like that. sound was amazing. think it was dli5.
    either way i used to have the sound on 4-7. i tried turning it up full to see what it was like and my body pulled the headphones outta my ears at around 12 :D i cudnt even stop myself doing it as it actually was about to hurt it was that good!
    theres a lot of room for tweaks there alright. i reckon ill wait for the official jellybean now then install a tweaked kernel which should fix all those things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

kenyard wrote: »
    one of the test jellybean leaks was like that. sound was amazing. think it was dli5.
    either way i used to have the sound on 4-7. i tried turning it up full to see what it was like and my body pulled the headphones outta my ears at around 12 :D i cudnt even stop myself doing it as it actually was about to hurt it was that good!
    theres a lot of room for tweaks there alright. i reckon ill wait for the official jellybean now then install a tweaked kernel which should fix all those things :)

I tried all the leaks and none of them had as good sound. Also not sure if its cooked into touch wizz or just Sammys music player. The loudness restriction is silly. There seems to be way too much restriction on the loudness coming from the audio jack.

Ill probably stick to stock JB for a while. I prefer the stock experience but its a bit buggy and performance isnt as good sometimes as the TouchWizz one.

battery is the only thing that annoys me...
    tis noticeably shorter on jellybean imo. though maybe its caus i have more apps syncing etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I got the firmware update yesterday from Samsung (over the air update), then couldn't access any pre-installed default apps :eek: :mad:,had to then reset to factory settings and start all over again and re-install them again :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

kenyard wrote: »
    battery is the only thing that annoys me...
    tis noticeably shorter on jellybean imo. though maybe its caus i have more apps syncing etc...

Im starting to notice the shorter battery life on the latest jelly bean leak too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

yeah that vid was posted in the iphone 5 thread also. gave it a good laugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Can anyone recommend a decent waterproof case?

I see a few on amazon but no ratings for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Any sign of the Jelly bean update guys??

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement

madmoe wrote: »
    Any sign of the Jelly bean update guys??

Cheers,
    M

Sources tell me xxdlid will be out Monday. NEE AND BTU

BTU = us in ireland.
    if you are on default stock 3s, you will be able to dl it via kies then, or whatever method you prefer.
    if you are on a branded carrier, namely 3 are the main ones, you will have to wait i guess.

as for it, its not fully finished is why it hasnt been rolled out globally. simple issues reported. i can confirm battery isnt as good (i still get 1.5 days), and music does stutter occasionally even through normal headphones..
    battery life for me goes to 99%, but thats just the inbuilt overcharging feature.
    the btu update probably means half of these issues are resolved. the first ics release was mediocre also, so im expecting 3-4 updates over the coming month or 2, and then jellybean should be very nice..

p.s its still a nice bit smoother than ics, so definately update when you can

- Battery life is terrible. Drains very quickly compared to ICS
    - UI lags still exist e.g. browser tabs list scrolling, gallery, widgets drawer
    - UI especially lags during I/O e.g. installing apps from the play store
    - My Sony MW600 bluetooth headphones. Whenever I use the buttons to pause or change tracks, the phone will disable silent mode. This is super annoying at work if I receive a call and my ringtone blares out in the office
    - Playing music via bluetooth occasionally stutters / breaks up. Didn't happen on ICS.
    - Charging the phone, when I unplug the phone it instantly jumps from 100% to 95%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Howye lads, quick question for anyone here who uses the S3...I've been HTC user for a while, well, since I changed to touch phones anyways, as old school as that sounds. I'm hoping to make the switch in the next week or so to the S3, but one thing I'd really like to know is if it's possible to get the phonepad style keyboard on the Galaxy S3? You know, the old style numbers/letters predictive combo as opposed to QWERTY keyboards...I'm only asking cos I couldn't quite get it to work on my buddys Nexus when he got it, so wondering if the Galaxys are the same! It's only a small thing...but...

Makes me sound like an aul fella askin this but i'm way faster using predictive on the phone than a touchy qwerty phone keyboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Shlippery wrote: »
    Howye lads, quick question for anyone here who uses the S3...I've been HTC user for a while, well, since I changed to touch phones anyways, as old school as that sounds. I'm hoping to make the switch in the next week or so to the S3, but one thing I'd really like to know is if it's possible to get the phonepad style keyboard on the Galaxy S3? You know, the old style numbers/letters predictive combo as opposed to QWERTY keyboards...I'm only asking cos I couldn't quite get it to work on my buddys Nexus when he got it, so wondering if the Galaxys are the same! It's only a small thing...but...

Makes me sound like an aul fella askin this but i'm way faster using predictive on the phone than a touchy qwerty phone keyboard!

You can download any number of different keyboards so you should be able to get one that allows you to use the old style!

Swifkey is the best predictive learning one on the market.

Touchpal is also brilliant if you very familiar with the keyboard layout as you don't take your finger off the keyboard when typing...works by 'swyping'!

I'm sure there are others that will give you the style you are happiest with.

I'm also a former HTC user & adore the S3!!

So go for it!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Getting my first android phone when I get back to Ireland in a few days and was wondering if the S3 would be the best handset at the moment to get? I've been on iOS up until now? Am I in for a shock? How does the Xperia S compare to the S3? I was considering that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Getting my first android phone when I get back to Ireland in a few days and was wondering if the S3 would be the best handset at the moment to get? I've been on iOS up until now? Am I in for a shock? How does the Xperia S compare to the S3? I was considering that too.

Other than the smaller screen, Xperia s is a very decent phone but it is dual-core and old ICS version of android, galaxy S3 is quad and is getting the latest android JB. Xperia s is more on par with the S2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Shlippery wrote: »

Yep there's a 4*3 keyboard on the sgs3. When you go I to the language and input settings and in the portrait keyboard layout (not sure what exactly its called) but theres a 4*3 option there, that will give you the old style keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Most likely buying this phone next month, want to get it on bill pay.

Currently with meteor but willing to change to get the best deal. Looking to buy it as cheap as possible.
    Does anyone beat the 'three' offer of 40.66 per month for 18 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Patsy fyre wrote: »

Currently with meteor but willing to change to get the best deal. Looking to buy it as cheap as possible.

I'm on o2's offer of €50 per month. 400 mins, 400 texts (it's changeable), unlimited o2 calls and texts and 1GB of data.

To be honest, most people don't really go over the 1GB of data, especially if you have Wi-Fi in your house/work. So unless you're going to be streaming a lot of movies on the go, then the o2 one is better.

Also, Threes customer service is complete shíte. I was with them a few years back and deeply regretted it.

Sonics2k wrote: »

I'm on o2's offer of €50 per month. 400 mins, 400 texts (it's changeable), unlimited o2 calls and texts and 1GB of data.

To be honest, most people don't really go over the 1GB of data, especially if you have Wi-Fi in your house/work. So unless you're going to be streaming a lot of movies on the go, then the o2 one is better.

Also, Threes customer service is complete shíte. I was with them a few years back and deeply regretted it.
    How much is the device along with the 50 euro per month?

How much is the device along with the 50 euro per month?

24 Month contract, so it was €119. But I traded in an old iPhone 3GS and got it for €44 iirc.

Could of traded in an iPhone 4 (€140 trade in value) and gotten it for free, but I'm keeping that as a spare/giving it to my gf.

• Advertisement

i got the above, 6 month contract. phone price has since dropped to what i paid almost :D
    still im outta contract now in a month or so, at which point its prepay all the way..
    that three mobile is the best offer, but you are stuck on their official rom afaik unless you want roaming issues..
    emobile and meteor also do fairly compeditive offers. emobile have an unlimited 35 euro a month offer if you have an eircom account number for house phone, and have a very decent offer on the s3 at that price afaik.
    since you are on meteor already, they are both the same reception etc.. so its definately worth you taking a look at it

E mobile are currently out of stock and meteors deal can't beat 'three'. Will see how things change in the coming weeks.

Just avoid Three. They are completely dire in so many areas.

Poor coverage outside of major cities, god-awful customer service and just piss weak overall imo.

E mobile are currently out of stock and meteors deal can't beat 'three'. Will see how things change in the coming weeks.

maybe check their stores or around.. often if not available online it will be in stores...
    three got a bad rep, but if you are in a city i reckon you are grand. there was major problems with roaming on samsung phones in that if you are moving and phone loses signal it roams and uses vodafones 2g network (which is everywhere in ireland pretty much)
    after this it never switched back, and stayed on roaming on vodafones 2g where mobile data wouldnt enable etc.. just minor annoyances.
    their fix on their custom firmware then means it looks for 2g every so often so keeps switching from 2g to 3g and back and causes battery drain in the phone.
    putting a custom rom on the phone or whatever would also remove their fix i guess, so you would be back at step 1... and jellybean update wont be on their network for a while id guess..when it shud be out here in a few days on others

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I switched to three about a year ago and switched to bill and got the s3 at the end of the summer there.

I hadn't noticed any signal drop although my house is a black spot for ALL signal even internal wifi so thought nothing of it.

I flashed it to Jelly Bean there last week and simple process and i dunno if its because of the removing of the signal switching above or improvments to ROM but battery is lasting longer.

Vodafone data works to though (well for me) if you turn on data roaming in your settings (in ICS i think it said in same country but this JB release just shows data roaming)

So far i've had a few issues with speeds but that seems to have been during a mast upgrade and i've had little or no issues since.

If you go three install JB yourself and you have no massive wait either for them to release

• Registered Users Posts: 21 blee23

Hi
    Anybody on here know when the s3 lte is going to be released in Ireland? Can't seem to find any info on dates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

blee23 wrote: »
    Hi
    Anybody on here know when the s3 lte is going to be released in Ireland? Can't seem to find any info on dates

We'd need LTE networks first, I reckon it will be a year or two, so it will be the GS4 or GS5 youll be after!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 blee23

Yea I was thinking the same, my upgrade is a two year contract though so I was looking to future proof....don't want to wait till next year. Just wondering if I get the s3 tomorrow will the s3 lte be out next week. That would be annoying....but I suppose your right I can't see any carrier bringing it out until the network is there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

blee23 wrote: »
    Yea I was thinking the same, my upgrade is a two year contract though so I was looking to future proof....don't want to wait till next year. Just wondering if I get the s3 tomorrow will the s3 lte be out next week. That would be annoying....but I suppose your right I can't see any carrier bringing it out until the network is there

No your safe in that regard, it will be along longer then that! This is Ireland remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yeah lte is still far enough away that a 2 year contract (or longer) won't make a difference.

If you wanna futureproof just go with the s3 (international version that you get here) the specs on that are ott as they knew jelly bean was coming out after launch but didn't know what specs were needed so over estimated!

Advertisement