Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Agree with the posters above. Any problems I've had is usually network or app related. The S3 is an absolute beast of a phone and was wary of switching over from HTC but so glad I did. Can't imagine how they are going to improve on this phone but technology keeps amazing us!!

I'm actually really happy with 3 and the problem I had wouldn't be happening if I hadn't flashed the UK firmware onto it. I could always flash the 3 branded one back and have that problem solved but then I would be waiting months for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Cheers.

I was looking at the other thread too and was mainly concerned with the battery drainage.

I'll be getting an unbranded one too which is a bit of a plus.

you won't regret the decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

s_carnage wrote: »
    One thing to note if you are with 3 is that it will no longer switch between 2g and 3g coverage. You will need to do this automatically yourself. Not a huge problem but just something to be aware off.

I flashed mine a few weeks ago so just wondering when there is new updates released do I need to flash it again or would I just receive the update by searching for it on my phone?

(just incase you didnt get an answer)

If you flashed to the UK firmware you will get updates over the air and on kies too. note, you would also get them on the original ROM the same way but maybe not as frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Would be very interested in this if anyone knows if it can be done on a unrooted phone

am i missing something :confused:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.curvefish.widgets.network2g3gonoff&hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Would be very interested in this if anyone knows if it can be done on a unrooted phone
    Cyrus wrote: »
    surely you get a similar widget on any rom? custom or not

Unforunately not for a stock ROM. All you can get is a shortcut to the settings.
    (as per example app from Cyrus below)
    Cyrus wrote: »

From the app description:

"It's shortcut(blame google for that) for network system settings which allows you change 2G-3G and data roaming mode with 2 clicks instead of 4"

I don't understand why Google decided to restrict access to the API for 2G/3G switching. But as I said, there are custom ROMs that will give you direct access and a proper one touch/click widget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

god's toy wrote: »
    (just incase you didnt get an answer)

If you flashed to the UK firmware you will get updates over the air and on kies too. note, you would also get them on the original ROM the same way but maybe not as frequently.

I flashed to the UK one alright but when I checked the XDA website I see there are 2 new updates since the one I originally flashed. I've just done a search for an update on my phone and it says there is no updates available so might just download the latest one from XDA and flash with Odin this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

fionny wrote: »
    A deal site has a genuine Galaxy S3 Flip case for sale today, for 18euro including delivery

Its in blue and white and has free nationwide delivery.

If you are considering buying i would really appriciate if you would use my referral link:

<snip/>

But if not then here is the normal link:

http://foffit.com/

You ever use the site before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

You ever use the site before?
    I got the genuine swing flip case for €20 in the Vodafone store. Well worth it and very good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

I got the genuine swing flip case for €20 in the Vodafone store. Well worth it and very good quality.

This the one which replaces the back cover of the phone? Or just fits over the cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

akamossie wrote: »
    you won't regret the decision :)

Got it today! :D

Really impressed!! Can't fault it at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Davie89 wrote: »
    This the one which replaces the back cover of the phone? Or just fits over the cover?

Fits over battery cover but fit is perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I got a music download app called "music download"

The music player the app uses to playback songs annoyingly will not stop playing....whatever you do or press.....

...anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Anyone else having problems with Apps opening up with you doing it. When ever I go to app killer I see the same three apps open and even if I kill them with app killer, if I go back into to see the list they are open again. The Android application manager tells me they are in sleep mode, when I kill them there sometimes they restart straight away sometimes they do not.

Is anyone else experiencing this after the OS update or maybe it was the application updates themselves thats causing this. Its a real drain on battery life.

Any tips on how to stop this or some settings that will block apps from opening unless commanded by the user would be much appreciated?

Runtastic, Viber and Facebook are the apps causing me trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Anyone else having problems with Apps opening up with you doing it. When ever I go to app killer I see the same three apps open and even if I kill them with app killer, if I go back into to see the list they are open again. The Android application manager tells me they are in sleep mode, when I kill them there sometimes they restart straight away sometimes they do not.

Is anyone else experiencing this after the OS update or maybe it was the application updates themselves thats causing this. Its a real drain on battery life.

Any tips on how to stop this or some settings that will block apps from opening unless commanded by the user would be much appreciated?

Runtastic, Viber and Facebook are the apps causing me trouble.

Sounds like the apps are logging back in cos you didn't sign out of them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Anyone else get an OTA firmware update this morning? I'm on vodafone, was on BUALF1

New f/w version is BUBLG3

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

plys wrote: »
    Anyone else get an OTA firmware update this morning? I'm on vodafone, was on BUALF1

Just got the update now. On Meteor.
    Build no.: I9300XXBLG8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Just got the update now. On Meteor.
    Build no.: I9300XXBLG8

Ive been on that build for weeks on meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

plys wrote: »

New f/w version is BUBLG3

Nope. Received nothing, still on BUALF1.
    what was the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Redsunset wrote: »
    Nope. Received nothing, still on BUALF1.
    what was the update?

Not much tbh. 'Stability Update' was the only detail provided..
    Did get the brightness slider in the notifications menu, which is pretty slick, although I have seen others on here mentioning it so I reckon we're slightly behind the curve... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭stejk11

I was thinking of getting a GS3 today and noticed that Power City are selling factory unlocked ones, just parted with €620 and picking it up tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

About €50 cheaper on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I updated my phone just now and after I enter my pin I get the following message "Sim Network unlock PIN"

I can dismiss but I cannot use the phone.

I bought the phone a few months ago on done deal and it has CWM Manager and SuperSU on it.

I probably shouldn't have updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sniipe wrote: »
    I updated my phone just now and after I enter my pin I get the following message "Sim Network unlock PIN"

I can dismiss but I cannot use the phone.

I bought the phone a few months ago on done deal and it has CWM Manager and SuperSU on it.

I probably shouldn't have updated?

yep the sim unlock doesnt (or didnt ) work with the new software, altho im sure there is a version that does now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Does anyone know if there's a way of snoozing the stock alarm clock?

And when I watch videos on youtube they won't go into fullscreen mode for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 king egor

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a way of snoozing the stock alarm clock?

And when I watch videos on youtube they won't go into fullscreen mode for some reason.

You have to set up snooze when you set the alarm, i think its the second last option on the alarm page.

As for youtube make sure screen rotation is on and just turn the phone to the side when u watch a video.

Thanks Captain Morgan, however I cannot find the app. The google play link found on this page here: https://github.com/project-voodoo/galaxysiii-sim-unlock-app/ doesn't exist... is there something I'm missing?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link. However I hit this issue:
    make sure your device is rooted and to allow superuser requests to the app when asked
    So I clicked on my SuperSU app and it asks for an update "The Su binary needs to be updated. Continue?" so I click yes then "Installation failed"
    OMG... I should have never updated... :|

Advertisement