Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

Separate threads for film & TV
    irishash wrote: »

+1 for Lockout. Guy Pearce makes the film. If they did remake Escape from New York (and I hope they dont), he would be great as Snake.

Some of the CGI effects are shocking bad, unless they were going for the extreme cartoon look on purpose. It is worth noting that the effects house was Windmill Lane (Irish effects company).

The directors are Irish and used a lot if Irish companies in the production. I'm fairly certain that the early CGI was intended to look a little cartoony, for me it added to the fun but I know a lot of people found it difficult to watch because of how cheap it looked. Anyways it's still nowhere near as the FX used in In Time where a toy car and late 90s CGI were used during one if the crash scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

irishash wrote: »
    +1 for Lockout. Guy Pearce makes the film. If they did remake Escape from New York (and I hope they dont), he would be great as Snake.

Some of the CGI effects are shocking bad, unless they were going for the extreme cartoon look on purpose. It is worth noting that the effects house was Windmill Lane (Irish effects company).

yeah the opening hoverbike thingy chase is terrible looking, fun movie though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Guy Pearce makes every film 20% better just by appearing in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Guy Pearce makes every film 20% better just by appearing in it.

Agreed he has come along way since he tried to be a singer with Kylie and Jason and the rest of the Neighbours cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The fantastically bonkers classic Re-Animator added to US Netflix today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

donfers wrote: »
    shame is out on the irish netflix

also house of cards i think is on its way - the new one with kevin spacey

The brilliant, original BBC series is on Netflix US, strangely enough its in proper widescreen (16:9), ie not squashed or 4:3 as I expected, because thats what it originally was (4:3), they obviously extracted a 16:9 image from the 4:3 (16mm) film sources, as the mid and especially close ups are very tight/cropped (some too cropped), still, even though I'd prefer the proper fullscreen presentation it looks really good for an early 90s BBC 16mm show and is in "HD".

Edit: Obviously what they did, found this from the BBC Resources site about House Of Cards remaster, are probably doing it with a lot of their older high quality programmes as broadcasters are reluctant to broadcast 4:3 programmes any more:

"The body of this popular programme existed in the library as a 16mm film print. This format is limited in the amount of resolution it can capture. The print also had gaps where sequences had been added electronically during post production many years ago. A 35mm aerial shoot used to create a 16mm optical opening title sequence was still available as raw footage to the BBC Post Production team. The 35mm footage was re-scanned in High Definition along with the 16mm body of the programme. All the material was transferred into our Quantel eQ High Definition editing and finishing workstation, where High Definition captions were combined with the higher resolution 35mm footage to create a new much improved title sequence, using the old one as a guide.

The new title sequence was combined with the re-scanned main body of the programme and missing elements which had previously been created electronically were up-converted from the Standard Definition master and inserted.

The result was a re-mastered High Definition version of an archive title with increased appeal to buyers looking for HD content."

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Just finished watching 13 assasins on us netflix excellant movie anyone have any good recomendations for similar japanese movies.
    Not like some of the newer chinese propaganda movies

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Has the 'recently watched' list disappeared on anyone elses Netflix? It's gone on my bluray and WD Media Player. Very annoying as I use it all the times for TV shows. Don't see the point in taking it away. :rolleyes:

SB-08 wrote: »
    Has the 'recently watched' list disappeared on anyone elses Netflix? It's gone on my bluray and WD Media Player. Very annoying as I use it all the times for TV shows. Don't see the point in taking it away. :rolleyes:

Comes and goes like other headings, am sure it will reappear soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭siblers

If you're into WW2 films, Max Manus and Winter In Wartime are both on Irish netflix.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    If you're into WW2 films, Max Manus and Winter In Wartime are both on Irish netflix.

Both very good, WIW the better one though, great performance from the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Dammit, 24 and Star Trek Voyager appear to have come off of the US Netflixs when I'm midway through watching both.

I mean I have 24 on DVD but that means changing disks :)

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Dammit, 24 and Star Trek Voyager appear to have come off of the US Netflixs when I'm midway through watching both.

I mean I have 24 on DVD but that means changing disks :)

Weird, Instantwatcher says you should have a good 86 years to catch up on Voyager!:

"Release Year: 1995
    MPAA Rating: NR
    Runtime: 733 min
    Available From: Jul 03, 2011
    Available Until: Dec 31, 2099
    Remaining: 31817 days left"

Weird, Instantwatcher says you should have a good 86 years to catch up on Voyager!:

Just checked on PS3 and as I suspected Voyager and all other Treks are there, I loves me a bit of Voyager now and then, especially the eps where they come across a subspace anomily ie every single episode ever!

Just checked on PS3 and as I suspected Voyager and all other Treks are there, I loves me a bit of Voyager now and then, especially the eps where they come across a subspace anomily ie every single episode ever!

24 is still there too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Anyones else us netflix go canadian tonight really odd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Anyones else us netflix go canadian tonight really odd

This must be what happened to me because 24, Voyager and a number of other shows which I'd watched had disappeared from my PS3 and PC and I did notice a sub-menu of Canadian shows which I thought at the time was weird.

Hope it switches back tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

Seal Team Six: Raid on Bin Laden now on US Netflix.Surprisingly good for a Tv movie, with some good stars in it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

On the US Netflix version, a nice little Icelandic independent movie; Reykjavik-Rotterdam
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233576/

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This must be what happened to me because 24, Voyager and a number of other shows which I'd watched had disappeared from my PS3 and PC and I did notice a sub-menu of Canadian shows which I thought at the time was weird.

Hope it switches back tonight.

I think US Netflix was down for quite a lot of last night so maybe your "provider" linked you to the Canadian site temporarily?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

There was no issues with Netflix UK & Ireland last night.

adox wrote: »
    I think US Netflix was down for quite a lot of last night so maybe your "provider" linked you to the Canadian site temporarily?

Strange, was watching US Netflix without a problem from around 9 - 1.30 last night through my "provider" who always allows me to "play 'mo" of my favorites shows. Re: Canadian flix, there is a lot of content, especially films, on it thats not on Irish or US Flix, Hugo, Tintin, T2, Breach, Take Shelter, Another Earth, Perfect Sense etc, so check it out if you find yourselves in that part of the world:

http://cdn.istreamguide.com/new_movies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Strange, was watching US Netflix without a problem from around 9 - 1.30 last night through my "provider" who always allows me to "play 'mo" of my favorites shows. Re: Canadian flix, there is a lot of content, especially films, on it thats not on Irish or US Flix, Hugo, Tintin, T2, Breach, Take Shelter, Another Earth, Perfect Sense etc, so check it out if you find yourselves in that part of the world:

http://cdn.istreamguide.com/new_movies

i'd like to see take shelter, hope it comes to irish netflix - it is moves like that that are perfect for netflix

Hugo, Bel Ami and American Horror Story on Us Flix now.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

A little gem of a movie is Happy Accidents(2000) written/directed by Brad Anderson, the director The Machinist (2004). It's a simple, effective romantic drama - boy meets girl, girl finds out boy claims to come from the future - but the real treat is Marisa Tomei and Vincent D'Onofrio flexing their acting chops in a story that's entirely character-driven. It's interesting in particular to see D'Onofrio not in chameleon mode ("Gomer Pyle" - Full Metal Jacket, Edgar the Bug - Men in Black, etc.): it was getting to the stage where, like Ray Liotta, seeing him in a movie meant something messed-up was going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Some please tell me if Miami Vice (80s one) is on NetFlix ?

Some please tell me if Miami Vice (80s one) is on NetFlix ?

Yeah it is, just use the search function here in future:

http://instantwatcher.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Watched 'Klown' on US netflix last night. Absolute gem and hilarious too. It's like a Danish version of Sideways with sex taking the place of wine. The two male leads are great and the danish language is pretty entertaining too. Highly recommended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

retreat is an interesting movie on irish netflix with what i thought was an interesting ending, a rare thing in a lot of movies these days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Probably won't be everyones cup of tea, but Michael Palin's two series are on the Irish one...Sahara & Himalaya. Few episodes in each, & a fascinating look at some of the more remote cultures out there. Perfect chillout stuff :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement