Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭recyclops

adox wrote: »
    The title music is great too.

I'm in the middle of watching season 2. Completely different story but more bonkers, if that's possible.

Season 2 has gone off the rails its great watch though, l;oved season one from what i know the creators are doing a diff place each season, making the premise the protagonist haaha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

About a dozen well known Disney animations up already, the end is nigh for good new adult content!!

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Separate threads for film & TV
    About a dozen well known Disney animations up already, the end is nigh for good new adult content!!

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new

these titles were queued in the last minute

......time to cancel your subscriptions folks, we've had a good run

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

No hope of ever canceling when the kids see some of this tomorrow.
    Plus its a hell of a lot cheaper than upc or sky.

Has anyone seen any good mini series on Netflix?

Plenty of series and and made for TV movies on there but I haven't seen many Mini series.

I do love a good mini series I must say.

I think "mini series" were more of a late 70's to mid 80's thing, no? Stuff like Winds Of War, Thorn Birds, Roots. WOW is on Us Flix, tried to watch it as I'm a WW2 buff but its piss poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

I think "mini series" were more of a late 70's to mid 80's thing, no? Stuff like Winds Of War, Thorn Birds, Roots. WOW is on Us Flix, tried to watch it as I'm a WW2 buff but its piss poor.

Yes the late 70's/80's was what I was thinking about. I grew up with alot of those Mini Series and they were major TV events like Roots and the Thorn Birds.

There was one I would love to find again called Amerika. I'd love to look at it now through my eyes as an adult. One other I'd like to find is Manions of America which was filmed near me.

All I can find at the moment are One shot series of 13 episodes or so.

Like the amazing Sleeper Cell which I highly recommend to anyone about terrorist sleeper cell in America.

I also came across a few others Like Kidnapped,The kill point, Persons Unknown.

Most of these are on International Netflix's

Yes the late 70's/80's was what I was thinking about. I grew up with alot of those Mini Series and they were major TV events like Roots and the Thorn Birds.

There was one I would love to find again called Amerika. I'd love to look at it now through my eyes as an adult. One other I'd like to find is Manions of America which was filmed near me.

Like the amazing Sleeper Cell which I highly recommend to anyone about terrorist sleeper cell in America.

A lot of those mini series were before tv drama became really good though, unlike now a "TV movie" then was some godawful thing that would never get near cinema quality, now a lot of the best and most edgy and brave filmed drama is on tv (Breaking Bad, BSG, Wire, Mad Men). My memory of the mini series from that time is that they were poorly made and melodramatic rubbish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry is up on US Neflix - a documentary following Chinese artist and activist Weiwei. It's a powerful examination of the capabilities of art and social media in contemporary China, and a celebration of a man (or indeed anyone) who risks their own individual freedom for the greater good. The docu itself is probably a bit haphazardly put together at times, but the subject matter and the modest but charismatic Weiwei make for compulsive viewing.

I haven't watched it yet, and it may have been on there for a while, but Neflix US took it upon itself to flag Shotgun Stories for me this evening. It's the debut feature of Jeff Nichols, who went on to direct Take Shelter. This one also stars good old Michael Shannon.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,186 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think th three discworld miniseries are on the US one. Hog father, the colour of magic and going postal. I've not seen going postal but the other two are worth a watch if you like fantasy with a good dose of comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

donfers wrote: »

Dumbo and A Nightmare Before Christmas are also on it.

• Advertisement

My memory of the mini series from that time is that they were poorly made and melodramatic rubbish.

That's very true.

Sure if I want melodramatic rubbish all I have to is come on here and read Boards there is plenty of that sprouted out here everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Can someone tell me if these are actually on Netflix or is this site having a laugh?

http://www.movieinsider.com/netflix/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

colly_06 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if these are actually on Netflix or is this site having a laugh?

StakeLand is on the US one, Rock of Ages isnt, I certainly can't see Looper being on there in January its not out that long, majority of the big movies listed there are porkies methinks.

I wouldn't trust it..

try instantwatcher it is up to date and well know.

http://instantwatcher.com/

Thats Netflix's DVD's by mail selection not their streaming one. Instantwatcher is the best followed by this one: http://uk.istreamguide.com/ which isn't as good but has the new releases for UK and Canadian ones as well as US too (Just click on flags at top right).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Just a heads up, Sons of Anarchy season 4 is now up on the Irish Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Spielberg's Tin Tin is on US Netflix now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Watched Craigslist Joe on US netflix, really liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its Always Sunny is finally on the US one, mad that it was on the Irish one all this time, one of the besy comedy shows you'll ever watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

shortys94 wrote: »
    Watched Craigslist Joe on US netflix, really liked it!

Watched it too, it's amazing!
    Restores your faith in some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Watched it too, it's amazing!
    Restores your faith in some people.

It'd be interesting to see the results if he didn't have a camera man :P

The Story of Film: An Odyssey, the 15 part intelligent look at the history of cinema is on Netflix US, well worth a look if you missed it when it was on earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Watched Indie Game:The Movie recently, though it was a very good documentary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Story of Film: An Odyssey, the 15 part intelligent look at the history of cinema is on Netflix US, well worth a look if you missed it when it was on earlier this year.

Glad to hear that. Cousin's voice was infuriating first time I tried to get into it, even though I loved the content. But I've since grown very fond of his in-depth, offbeat criticism in recent months, so definitely going to commit to it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Got me the free trail.

Just watched The Insider, great movie loved Micheal Mann's style. Great choice of music throughout.

8/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

21 jump street movie was very good .

Glad to hear that. Cousin's voice was infuriating first time I tried to get into it, even though I loved the content. But I've since grown very fond of his in-depth, offbeat criticism in recent months, so definitely going to commit to it this time.

His voice really puts me to sleep. You can tell he has a passion for film but his voice doesn't even sound enthusiastic about what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I'm struggling to get through "The Story of Film" as well. I gave up on it when it was originally broadcast. Cousin's voice sounds like a bored college professor giving a film studies lecture. I really think he should have wrote the narration itself but handed it over to someone else to present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

21 jump street movie was very good .

It's probably the movie I enjoyed most this year.

• Advertisement

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I'm struggling to get through "The Story of Film" as well. I gave up on it when it was originally broadcast. Cousin's voice sounds like a bored college professor giving a film studies lecture. I really think he should have wrote the narration itself but handed it over to someone else to present.

For me anyway Cousin's will always play second fiddle to Alex Cox. I first came across him when he replaced Cox on Moviedrome. Again you could also see he had the passion for movies but he really can't portray that passion like some of the great movie makers he talks about. Cox could do that.

I think you nailed it on the head with bored college professor.The funny thing is Cox is now professor of film and screen writing in the states.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement