Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options
1305306307308309311»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Separate threads for film & TV
    Thanks for your feedback all, much appreciated.

The poll results are clear (barring some late surge in support for the 'separate threads' side ;)). With that in mind, here's what I'd propose:

This thread (and its successor) operates as normal. We remove the explicit reference to films in the title and OP, and allow this to be the general Netlflix recommendations thread it has grown to be (and hence stop this debate breaking out every other month). More thorough discussions about individual films or show will be broken off into separate threads and moved if necessary. This is above all the film forum, so gentle reminders that Television forums exist and should be used :) For a vast majority of posters, though, it'll be business as usual.

For the film purists (*raises hand*) we start a separate but complementary thread on Streaming and VOD film recommendations. That'd have a broader purview than just Netflix, but any TV discussion would be deleted. This would address one of the points raised in this thread - that there's now Amazon, Mubi and other services - while hopefully offering a safe haven for those who don't want TV chat mixed in with their film recommendations. I'd hope it'd be different enough to not splinter or disrupt this thread.

IMO that's the easiest way to deal with this without changing what an overwhelming majority of posters appreciate about this thread, but also hopefully addressing some of the concerns of others (which are hardly invalid - this is a film forum after all!)

sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

tigger123 wrote: »
    What did people think of the Chapelle specials? Apparently they were the most watched thing on Netflix, ever.

Watched those over the long weekend along with a few more. The Chapelle ones were very good although I thought the first was the better of the two. Louis C.K. was pretty much a damp squib and not a patch on some of his other shows. Kevin Hart (2016), honestly I'd be surprised if I so much as cracked a smile during it. Finally, Joe Rogan (2016) was very good as well though not on the same level as Chapelle; first time seeing any of his standup but I'll be looking out for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

TV Talk in a film thread. Pfttttt

Anyways.. 13 Reasons Why was very good and gut wrenching towards the end.

Just finished season 1 of the Line of Duty, what a season finale.

Two must watch TV Dramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Tyler Perry Good Deeds was just added & is a really nice film. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Just finished watching Tickling Giants, about the rise and fall of Bassem Youssef, the Egyptian Jon Stewart. Excellent watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

How do people feel about Better Call Saul?

I got a little bored with it about halfway through the second season and ended up watching it out of obligation almost. Its hard to figure out where its going, or what the overarching narrative is.

I loved Breaking Bad and was really excited when I found out that Saul's 'origin story' was being made.

Just doesn't seem to have any spark for me.

some netflix originals added today

sand castle
    bill nye saves the world
    girl boss
    tramps

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I got a little bored with it about halfway through the second season and ended up watching it out of obligation almost. Its hard to figure out where its going, or what the overarching narrative is.

I loved Breaking Bad and was really excited when I found out that Saul's 'origin story' was being made.

I never watched breaking bad but I enjoyed Better Call Saul just for the charectars and general vibe. You do feel the retired cops plot is just there to give it a bit of ooomph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Charlie19 wrote: »
    TV Talk in a film thread. Pfttttt

Anyways.. 13 Reasons Why was very good and gut wrenching towards the end.

Just finished season 1 of the Line of Duty, what a season finale.

Two must watch TV Dramas.

Think Line of Duty is one of the best series I've seen in awhile. Enjoying Whitechapel at the moment, a bit different but in a good way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Bambi wrote: »
    I never watched breaking bad but I enjoyed Better Call Saul just for the charectars and general vibe. You do feel the retired cops plot is just there to give it a bit of ooomph.

his plot is almost more interesting than sauls

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

peteeeed wrote: »
    some netflix originals added today

sand castle
    bill nye saves the world
    girl boss
    tramps

I read a couple of good reviews for Tramps during the week. Sandcastle is "nothing we haven't seen before" according to the one review I saw for it.

There's a question, how do Netflix originals get reviewed if they're not in the cinema? Do Netflix send out copies to select people, or to lots of people?

There's a question, how do Netflix originals get reviewed if they're not in the cinema? Do Netflix send out copies to select people, or to lots of people?

it appears so , they always appear up on metacritic

peteeeed wrote: »
    it appears so , they always appear up on metacritic

I'm just wondering how they choose who to send them too. As has been the talk over the last week or so, some people are incredibly snobby about films that only appear on streaming sites. I suppose by now the people in charge of that kind of thing at Netflix would know who is likely to review them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I loved Breaking Bad and love Better Call Saul.
    The characters are brilliant, the story is secondary. Its like Breaking Bad light. Loads of humour in it but quite melancholy as well.

Has the other thread been set up for recommending content on other streaming sites? I had a look but I couldn't find it. Only I see Film 4 have been doing an Andrei Tarkovsky season of late and have made the films available to stream on All4 for a limited time in case anyone is interested.

Solaris
    Andrei Rublev
    Ivan's Childhood

Mods, feel free to move this elsewhere if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Better Call Saul is excellent, really well made. Top notch cinematography and it's so clever. Not as much action/drama as BB but it's telling a different story,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thread closed in advance of breaching the 10k superthread limit. Well done everyone for making this the most popular thread in the Films forum!

Please continue discussion in the shiny new Netflix Recommendations 2.0 thread. Re: the poll, the people have clearly spoken, so recommendations of films and tv shows will continue in the new thread. Read the first post of the thread for more info.

And re: the thread for films on streaming services, johnny_ultimate is going to start it soon. (edit: It's here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057732150)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement