Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

Is season 6 the one they are making now ? Think I seen 5.

The one they're making now is Season 5, Part II (milking it!).
    Without revelaing too much is 5 the one with the wheelchair .

No that was Season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

There is no season 6. First 8 episodes of Season 5 were aired this summer and second eight next summer. Then that's it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,186 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Is season 6 the one they are making now ? Think I seen 5 .
    Without revelaing too much is 5 the one with the wheelchair .

I'm only three episodes in yet. They're in cahoots with the
    pest control business
    . What's been screened this year is the first half of season 5 so whats coming next year is the second half of 5 rather than a 6th season afaik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Delighted . Didnt know they were there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I have spent the last month exhausting all four seasons of Parks & Recreations that US Netflix has to offer. I never thought I'd like it, but it may well be the most consistent, charming and funny sitcom I've ever watched. It does lack the progressive streak of trailblazers like Louie, but the characters are so engaging (including Ron Swanson - best character ever?) and the situations so amusing it doesn't matter. Barely hits a bum beat, with little to no filler episodes despite its 22 episode seasons. Cannot recommend it enough. Even if you're not wowed by the short first season (where some of the cast alas haven't quite evolved beyond caricatures), stick with it 'til the second when it all comes together brilliantly and stays that way. Due to start on BBC soon alternatively.
    The Hunting Trip episode was a major watershed moment I feel. Up until that it felt largely imitative of a lot of other stuff out there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

young adult is on us netflix

i thought it felt a but unfinished but worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Can I just say thanks to who ever recommended "Tucker And Dale Vs Evil"
    so funny
    found got bit meh towards the end, but the first 3 quarters of it will have you in stiches

Reminded me of "A Film With Me In It" (which is also worth a watch)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Watched Becoming Santa, a documentary about a normal overweight hairy guy training and becoming a santa to bring back his Christmas spirit (:rolleyes: yanks!).

Its quite heartwarming and suprising the level of training "proper" santas get and how tough the job can get.

Also on my second series of Dexter and finding it very easy to watch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Of mice and men and switchblade (second name could be wrong )(something blade)
    i found very good but for some reason I like buddy films where one of the buddies has mental problems .
    like rainman

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Alps (Yorgos Lanthimos's follow up to Dogtooth) is up on Netflix US

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Sorry if mentioned before, and sorry they aren't actually films, but was delighted to find Touch of Frost and Doc Martin on US Netflix. Great catching up on some old classics.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,186 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty big news: http://blog.netflix.com/2012/12/exciting-new-relationship-with-disney.html
    Netflix will be bringing you exclusively, starting in 2016, theatrically released movies from The Walt Disney Company and its renowned studios, including Disney, Pixar and Marvel. In the meantime, we’ll have an amazing selection of Disney movies including Disney classics, catalog movies, and popular non-theatrical movies for the whole family featuring beloved characters like Tinkerbell, Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh, to name a few.

Be nice to get Pixar & Marvel stuff fairly sharpish at least.

Not sure if it will effect Irish Netflix much though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Interesting, but theres one hell of a wait before it kicks in. Wonder why they'd even bother to announce it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There starting to be some non-negligible differences between the UK and the Irish sites.

JohnK wrote: »
    Interesting, but theres one hell of a wait before it kicks in. Wonder why they'd even bother to announce it?

They're getting the new releases in 2016 but will have all the older stuff fairly soon. That was my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They're getting the new releases in 2016 but will have all the older stuff fairly soon. That was my understanding anyway.

I don't know... my reading is that from 2016 they'll get theatrical releases (101 Dalmations, Toy Story, etc) but from now until then they will be carrying non-theatrical releases so short films, spin-offs etc.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't know... my reading is that from 2016 they'll get theatrical releases (101 Dalmations, Toy Story, etc) but from now until then they will be carrying non-theatrical releases so short films, spin-offs etc.

You're right actually. It says they'll have disney classics in the meantime too though, so maybe they'll have a few of the older animated movies up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Beefy78 wrote: »

Yeah thats how I read it too and the US netflix already has (had?) a good bit of their non-theatrical content (series etc) so I dont see a whole lot changing until the movies show up. It just seems strange they'd be signing and announcing a deal now that likely wont have any real impact for the better part of 3 years.

Yeah on the face of it it does seem a bit silly but there may well be a legal requirement to disclose such a big deal to the shareholders of Disney anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Some of the disney back catalogue has begun appearing (although not advertised on their site or on instant watcher yet). At a glance there is Dumbo, Pocahontas 1+2, the Aristocats and Alice in Wonderland. Could be more but as I say they havnt advertised them on the main page yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I would have preferred if they'd spent the money on more quality tv shows and films aimed at adults than Disney stuff and apparently commentators are saying that the huge cost of the deal could sink Netflix.

Yeah it's the exclusivity which is the key here. If it extends to television then this must be a huge deal for Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

I would have preferred if they'd spent the money on more quality tv shows and films aimed at adults than Disney stuff and apparently commentators are saying that the huge cost of the deal could sink Netflix.

Netflix's share price rose by 14% today on news of it.

Microsoft have been planning to buy Netflix for the last few months. It will be a good move for there share holders in the long run.

Not sure about the customers as a price rise will come would be my guess.

Netflix's share price rose by 14% today on news of it.

Microsoft have been planning to buy Netflix for the last few months. It will be a good move for there share holders in the long run.

Not sure about the customers as a price rise will come would be my guess.

Still, I would be worried that less would be spent on the likes of the Breaking Bad's, Mad Mens and good Indie and mainstream films etc from other studios as a result of a huge part of their budget been spent on Disney and Marvel stuff, it probably makes some sense since these are the films that young mainstream audiences want but other content will suffer as a result.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, the news makes a certain albeit risky business sense, but I also despair that my subscription fee is now being spent on what I don't want. When I first got Netflix I was particularly impressed at how many niche and hard-to-find titles were buried in its vast library. There have been less and less additions to bulk up its classic and world cinema selection in recent months - just about enough to make it worthwhile, but TBH I've probably watched around two films on Neflix in the last month.

I'd like to see them balancing their crazy Disney deals with supplementing their selection of, say, silent classics or Asian cinema. It's more and more shifting towards the 'big' releases, but its increasingly restrictive for cinephile audiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

been watching American Horror Story lately, its mental but interesting, also has the best opening credits I've seen in ages.

Yeah, the news makes a certain albeit risky business sense, but I also despair that my subscription fee is now being spent on what I don't want. When I first got Netflix I was particularly impressed at how many niche and hard-to-find titles were buried in its vast library. There have been less and less additions to bulk up its classic and world cinema selection in recent months - just about enough to make it worthwhile, but TBH I've probably watched around two films on Neflix in the last month.

I'd like to see them balancing their crazy Disney deals with supplementing their selection of, say, silent classics or Asian cinema. It's more and more shifting towards the 'big' releases, but its increasingly restrictive for cinephile audiences.

Indeed, would have preferred they would have concentrated on likes of Starz, Canal and Weinstein Company stuff.

Indeed, would have preferred they would have concentrated on likes of Starz, Canal and Weinstein Company stuff.

They have just taken Disney off Starz.

Starz had the Disney first run rights.

Warners own most others channels which will be hard to get deals off.

Starz are only left with Sony now and Netflix are after that.

Revenge for taking all their movies off Netflix this year

Has anyone seen any good mini series on Netflix?

Plenty of series and and made for TV movies on there but I haven't seen many Mini series.

I do love a good mini series I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

krudler wrote: »
    been watching American Horror Story lately, its mental but interesting, also has the best opening credits I've seen in ages.

The title music is great too.

I'm in the middle of watching season 2. Completely different story but more bonkers, if that's possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement