Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

The Machinist with Christian Bale was recommended to me by a mate. I watched it last night, and I have to say - YAWN!!! ZZZzzzzzz :rolleyes: I know, I know, each to their own and all that, but I thought it was very bad, very slow....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Separate threads for film & TV
    The Machinist with Christian Bale was recommended to me by a mate. I watched it last night, and I have to say - YAWN!!! ZZZzzzzzz :rolleyes: I know, I know, each to their own and all that, but I thought it was very bad, very slow....

You, er, appear to have misunderstood something fundamental about how a recommendations thread works.

Speaking of recommendations, I noticed that last year's The Divide is available now. It's quite a decent "end-of-the-world" piece, and for large swathes of the film it's essentially a chamber piece. Not only that but Milo "Peter Petrelli" Ventimiglia shows that he has at least a hint of range.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have spent the last month exhausting all four seasons of Parks & Recreations that US Netflix has to offer. I never thought I'd like it, but it may well be the most consistent, charming and funny sitcom I've ever watched. It does lack the progressive streak of trailblazers like Louie, but the characters are so engaging (including Ron Swanson - best character ever?) and the situations so amusing it doesn't matter. Barely hits a bum beat, with little to no filler episodes despite its 22 episode seasons. Cannot recommend it enough. Even if you're not wowed by the short first season (where some of the cast alas haven't quite evolved beyond caricatures), stick with it 'til the second when it all comes together brilliantly and stays that way. Due to start on BBC soon alternatively.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I have spent the last month exhausting all four seasons of Parks & Recreations that US Netflix has to offer. I never thought I'd like it, but it may well be the most consistent, charming and funny sitcom I've ever watched. It does lack the progressive streak of trailblazers like Louie, but the characters are so engaging (including Ron Swanson - best character ever?) and the situations so amusing it doesn't matter. Barely hits a bum beat, with little to no filler episodes despite its 22 episode seasons. Cannot recommend it enough. Even if you're not wowed by the short first season (where some of the cast alas haven't quite evolved beyond caricatures), stick with it 'til the second when it all comes together brilliantly and stays that way. Due to start on BBC soon alternatively.

Is it even better than The Office(US)? RTE are showing it now aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Its very enjoyable but I would award that prticular list superlatives to the likes of Cheers or Seinfeld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭blackiebest1

Can somone tell me how to watch the US Netflix? I am only on the Irish one! I hope this is not a rule breach!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Can somone tell me how to watch the US Netflix? I am only on the Irish one! I hope this is not a rule breach!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77237987&postcount=1

Google has the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Probably the most underrated programme of all time, i love this show i thought it was just me!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Probably the most underrated programme of all time, i love this show i thought it was just me!:o

Just cant decide . I watch 3-4 episodes at a time love it then decide meh and a week later 3-4 again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Absolutely love Ron Swansson. That man is my hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Was recommended to watch troll hunter and I must say, it's fecking brilliant.
    I've flashed past it a few times the last week or two and, because of the title and dull description, dismissed it.
    Quintessentially it's a fairy tale movie but it is done in a fantastic blair witch style that I must say, really does work for the movie.
    It's a very good take on something that hasn't really been done in a long time and the scenes of norway in the first few minutes are amazing.
    It is norwegian so yes it is subtitled but that does give you the opportunity to tell people you're cultured and watch foreign, not quite film noir, films.
    Definitely deemed viewable to almost any category of film interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it even better than The Office(US)? RTE are showing it now aswell.
    It is far better than The Office (US) despite initally being seen almost as a spinoff of it. . Apart from the average (short) first season, I would put it alongside Arrested Development as the best American sitcom of this century anyway. Even when the episode aren't particularly lol funny (which is rare), the characters are so well developed and likeable that it holds up incredibly well.

Season 2 in particular is almost perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I watched Serpico again (US Netflix) last night just to see how it's holding up after all these years and I was pleasantly surprised. It is one of Pacino's finest roles and well worth a watch IMHO.

Another Pacino Classic also directed by Sidney Lumet is Dog Day Afternoon though I'm not sure if that is on Netfix at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

SB-08 wrote: »
    Has the 'recently watched' list disappeared on anyone elses Netflix? It's gone on my bluray and WD Media Player. Very annoying as I use it all the times for TV shows. Don't see the point in taking it away. :rolleyes:

You can reset Netflix if it's glitching or anything by pressing - up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, up, up, up, up - on your remote or controller. This works on PS3, Xbox and WDTV. Should work on any device really!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

moz wrote: »
    I watched Serpico again (US Netflix) last night just to see how it's holding up after all these years and I was pleasantly surprised. It is one of Pacino's finest roles and well worth a watch IMHO.

Another Pacino Classic also directed by Sidney Lumet is Dog Day Afternoon though I'm not sure if that is on Netfix at the moment.

99% sure Dog Day Afternoon is on the irish one at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

99% sure Dog Day Afternoon is on the irish one at least.

Just checked its not on the irish netflix
    Possibly US

Dog Day was on the Irish one but is only on US Flix at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Dog Day was on the Irish one but is only on US Flix at the moment.

And only until 1st December.

moz wrote: »
    And only until 1st December.

Be back up on Netfllix within a month.

• Advertisement

Littlest Hobo-esque Australian film Red Dog is up on the Irish service now. Not seen it myself but heard it's good in a tear-jerky/one for all the family kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

God Bless America on the US netfilx, very entertaining violent comedy. Well worth a watch if your in the mood for something ridiculous.

Just watched Bernie with Jack Black, Shirley Maclaine & Matthew McConaughey, directed by Richard Linklater on US netflix. Jack Black's presence might put a lot of people off but it's actually really good. The trailer (which is quite spoilery) makes it look like much more of a comedy than it actually is so the film itself surprised me. It takes a sort of documentary approach with fake interviews interspersed with regular dramatic sections. Everyone is great in it and the main role really plays to Black's strengths (he gets to sing a lot) but he's a lot more restrained in this than usual. If you're in the mood for a character study with a healthy dose of black humour then it's well worth the watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

US Netflix, Karate-Robo Zaborgar. You can thank / direct angry 'WTFs?' at me later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Just watched This Means War on Netflix Canada what a big pile of steaming dross of a film. ( More proof that Tom Hardy really isn't all that! )

But I am now about to watch a pure 1980's classic ;) Commando :D

Parks and Rec is one of those shows that just keeps getting better and better constantly. The main cast are excellent, but the minor cast also hold their strength, especially the poor Jerry. For me, Andy is among my favourite, just because he can be pure slapstick sometime - I know he is no comparison, but he's a very physical comedian, to the extent that Rowan Atkinson was.
    Aubrey Plaza, who was in the recent wonderful Safety Not Guaranteed, is just a brilliant deadpan actress too.
    Was recommended to watch troll hunter and I must say, it's fecking brilliant.
    I've flashed past it a few times the last week or two and, because of the title and dull description, dismissed it.
    Quintessentially it's a fairy tale movie but it is done in a fantastic blair witch style that I must say, really does work for the movie.
    It's a very good take on something that hasn't really been done in a long time and the scenes of norway in the first few minutes are amazing.
    It is norwegian so yes it is subtitled but that does give you the opportunity to tell people you're cultured and watch foreign, not quite film noir, films.
    Definitely deemed viewable to almost any category of film interest.

I loved Troll Hunter. Downloaded it about a year before it was released over here, as it was pretty much just showing in its native Norway, with some screenings in festivals, and just fell in love with it. When it was released over here, I then went to the cinema and was even more blown away by how great it actually was. Funny, intriguing, awe-inspiring
    the sheer size of the Troll at the end was just incredible
    and charming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

Has the the selection for Irish Netflix improved as of late? I'm think of getting an Apple TV as a chritmas present for someone.

I was joined myself a few months ago, but can't see the selection unless I join up again.

Has the the selection for Irish Netflix improved as of late? I'm think of getting an Apple TV as a chritmas present for someone.

I was joined myself a few months ago, but can't see the selection unless I join up again.

Still nowhere near the US one, but they have been adding stuff regularly. They have breaking bad season 5 on it already, thats before any other netflix in the world afaik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

Still nowhere near the US one, but they have been adding stuff regularly. They have breaking bad season 5 on it already, thats before any other netflix in the world afaik.

That's impressive. TG4 are not too happy I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Is season 6 the one they are making now ? Think I seen 5 .
    Without revelaing too much is 5 the one with the wheelchair .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement