Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Separate threads for film & TV
    fin12 wrote: »
    Is that a good Christmas film? Never heard of it......

It's a new Christmas Special made by Bill Murray and directed by Sofia Coppola that is in the style of Christmas specials of yore. I can't wait to watch it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Is that a good Christmas film? Never heard of it......

It's brand new made this year for Netflix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

^ Maybe it's that I don't get the whole Bill Murray worship that's knocking around these days, or that I'm not a mad fan of Xmas anyway, but that looks self-indulgently dreadful. Humbug :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

It's a new Christmas Special made by Bill Murray and directed by Sofia Coppola that is in the style of Christmas specials of yore. I can't wait to watch it tonight.

oh right, thanks Il prob watch that, thought he was very funny on the Graham Norton show.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    ^ Maybe it's that I don't get the whole Bill Murray worship that's knocking around these days, or that I'm not a mad fan of Xmas anyway, but that looks self-indulgently dreadful. Humbug :D

I don't get the Murray thing at all. He was in some decent films years ago buy he often just seems like a doddery old man now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I honestly adore Bill Murray but I'm not too enthused about that one going on the trailer. Will give it a go all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

A Very Murray Christmas added to Netflix Ireland and all regions.

This and Scrooged sound like a magic double bill tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I agree, **** Xmas, the season for sad acts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

1st season of detectorists is on USA netflix. The second season just wrapped up on BBC4, its a lovely show, funny,poignant and beautifully acted by Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones, 2 of the finest actors in the UK at the moment. Worth a look if you have not seen it yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Rjd2 wrote: »
    21st April coming to US Netlix.

A-girl-walks-home-poster-wpcf_400x658.jpg

Was anyone else disappointed by this?

It was certainly a unique concept, and very nice to look at, with some good use of music (notably White Lies' song 'Death') but rather dull.

As a story of an outwardly female vampire's relationship with a male, I much preferred Let the Right One In.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Rjd2 wrote: »
    1st season of detectorists is on USA netflix. The second season just wrapped up on BBC4, its a lovely show, funny,poignant and beautifully acted by Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones, 2 of the finest actors in the UK at the moment. Worth a look if you have not seen it yet. :)

Wonderful understated show , I want to live there , Christmas special coming to bbc3

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Was anyone else disappointed by this?

It was certainly a unique concept, and very nice to look at, with some good use of music (notably White Lies' song 'Death') but rather dull.

As a story of an outwardly female vampire's relationship with a male, I much preferred Let the Right One In.

I enjoyed it for a bit just for the ambience but lost interest fairly quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

A Very Murray Christmas was meh, very lazy in how it just padded out the unimaginatively performed Christmas songs with maybe only 10 of the 50 minutes being all that entertaining. Clearly one of those "looks like they had so much more fun making it" type deals with it kinda feeling like an in-joke for Murray and Coppola that they're even doing one of these things.

Still the best Murray moment of 2015:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Testament of Youth added to UK/Ireland today.

Based on the memoir by Vera Britain it tells of her early life in the lead up to WW1, her fight to be allowed go to Oxford and how she leaves all that behind after a year to become a nurse and serve during the War. Alicia Vikander plays Vera and is in pretty much every scene. It's a refreshing take on WW1, seeing it entirely from a woman's point of view. Her brother, her fiance and their best friend all served in the War and they come in and out of the film but the focus is solely on what it's like to be the person left behind, living from letter to letter. It's one of my favourite films of the year.

Only getting around to watching this now, I loved it, would be one of favourite movies this year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films has been added to Netflix US.

Anyone who grew up with the VHS B-movies of the 80's will love this this.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films has been added to Netflix US.

Anyone who grew up with the VHS B-movies of the 80's will love this this.

Yea great doc. Watched it a couple of months ago, Michael Duidkoff really should've been a bigger star.

My favorite story from the doc was Sharon Stone being hired on King Solomon Mines because Golan confused her with Kathleen Turner who was just after finishing Romancing the Stone "Get me the Stone Woman".

Anyone watching Real rob on netflix? I think he's just acting himself in it and his wife is in it and child.. I've always liked rob schneider, his film hot chick is one of my favorite films.,

Marje wrote: »
    Only getting around to watching this now, I loved it, would be one of favourite movies this year as well.

I found it a bit hard to watch, and
    I also think she picked the wrong guy and she should have gone out with the guy who ended up blind and died soon after, he seemed like a much nicer guy

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Finally got round to watching the tv series of Fargo. Season 2 is on Netflix Germany, and various other European countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

e_e wrote: »

Watched John Mulaney's The Comeback Kid the other night and it was pretty funny. Any other good stand-up specials up? Loved Stewart Lee's The 41st Best Standup too.

I totally forgot about Jim Jefferies special. The parts about gun control and Oscar Pistorius are pure genius

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Finally finished OITNB. Never get to watch Netflix cause kids watching!! What's next for me??

Rita - Danish comedy drama about a woman who works as a teacher in a school. It focuses on her family and sometimes odd worklife.

The Killing - cop drama thriller. There's a Danish version and a USA remake

Early series of House of Cards with Kevin Spaces is good.

Weeds and Breaking Bad are somewhat similar to OITNB in tone.

Person of Interest, The Blacklist and Homeland are alright for action, thriller espionage stuff.

Avengers: Age of Ultron comes to Netflix Canada on the 16th of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

The enjoyable original cannon ball run is on netflix Sweden

Trailer for Netflix's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny

Netflix to double its original programming in 2016
    On Monday, Netflix head of content Ted Sarandos announced that the company will double the number of original shows it produces in 2016. Next year, Netflix will deliver 31 original series compared to 16 in 2015. Additionally, the company reportedly plans to release 10 feature films, 12 documentaries, 10 stand-up specials and a whopping 30 children's programs to enhance its For Kids section. This marks a significant shift in Netflix's strategy and puts it on equal footing with traditional premium cable heavyweights like HBO and Showtime. Sarandos argues that since original programming grants Netflix full exclusivity and global rights forever, they're a better investment than haggling for outside content. Such a change in thinking could prove vital to the company's continued international expansion.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/07/netflix-to-double-its-original-programming-in-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Inspector George Gently"

tv_inspector_george_gently.jpg

BBC TV crime series set in the North East of England in the 1960s. Martin Shaw is supreme in the lead role and there's great attention to period detail which transports you effortlessly back across the years. If you like series like Foyle's War you like this. Some of the series was filmed here and it's interesting trying to spot Irish locations transformed into rural English ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Tangerine has just dropped on USA Netflix, a lot of hype so very excited, and only 90 minutes long shouldn't be to painful.;)

reviews

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tangerine_2015/

trailer

boards thread on it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057523146

e_e wrote: »
    Everyone who is the least bit interested in stand up comedy as an art form needs to watch Call Me Lucky. It's not only really well-made and entertaining for a talking heads documentary but it takes an incredibly disturbing turn halfway through that I was not expecting. It goes so much deeper than something like American: The Bill Hicks Story in showing the horrible things that can fuel a comedian's anger and the catharsis and positive change that can come out of it. Don't be put off if it's about a comedian you hadn't heard of (I didn't either prior to hearing reviews) because it's such an interesting story anyway.

A great documentary

Just watched this tonight and wow I didn't see that coming.

I had heard of him but not his personal story.

Directed by Bobcat Goldthwait who did a great job with it.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "Inspector George Gently"

tv_inspector_george_gently.jpg

BBC TV crime series set in the North East of England in the 1960s. Martin Shaw is supreme in the lead role and there's great attention to period detail which transports you effortlessly back across the years. If you like series like Foyle's War you like this. Some of the series was filmed here and it's interesting trying to spot Irish locations transformed into rural English ones.

I searched for this on Irish netflix, couldn't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I searched for this on Irish netflix, couldn't find it.

USA only unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement