Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

Just finished Narcos. Would recommend it. Very good. The guy playing Escobar was excellent. Want to watch Beasts of No Nation next. Anyone seen it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

trashcan wrote: »
    Just finished Narcos. Would recommend it. Very good. The guy playing Escobar was excellent. Want to watch Beasts of No Nation next. Anyone seen it ?

Yup. Perhaps a bit sanitised considering the subject matter but still worth a look for sure. Idris dominates as you might expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

While We're Young and The Seven Five on Netflix Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,372 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    Just about to sit down and watch Soaked in Bleach now on the US Netflix.

Just about to sit down and watch Soaked in Bleach now on the US Netflix.

Zero interest in it, couldn't give a **** how he died anymore, I just listen to his great music now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Watched the first few episodes of Master of None. highly recommended. I love it even more now that I know his real parents "play" his parents in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

fiddlechic wrote: »
    Watched the first few episodes of Master of None. highly recommended. I love it even more now that I know his real parents "play" his parents in it!

Really? I honestly think it's garbage. Can't understand how people can like it

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The second episode was absolute crap, but it got much better after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Watched a very good documentary there called Cowspiracy - the sustainability secret, produced by Leonardo Dicaprio. Its about the effect of climate change and the impact livestock is having on our environment. It's quite disturbing with some shocking facts and figures. But it's a brilliant watch and can't fail to make all us meat eaters really consider what we are doing

Excellent documentary all right, but so depressing..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The Wolfpack docu on Flix US now, haven't seen it yet but it got excellent reviews.

It's excellent, the movie doesn't take sides and portray the parents in a negative way, it shows it as it is and doesn't have an agenda which is why after I viewed it, it left me with more questions than answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Mr E wrote: »
    The second episode was absolute crap, but it got much better after that.

Using his parents comes across as very self serving and considering this plotline is directly lifted from one of his standup shows left a bad taste in my mouth.

I did watch the rest of it though and its a decent watch without really stepping into the must-see category.

It is cute how bad his parents are behind the camera. They look really uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭tigger123

Netflix rating system is based on what they think you will rate something based on previous ratings

Do you have a source for this? I've read it on this thread before, and it makes zero sense to me.

Regularly in the Netflix category 'Top Picks for Tigger' there's titles with a one star (red) rating. Why would Netflix be recommending titles to me that it believes I will give 1 star out of 5 having watched them? How is that a recommendation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Everyone who is the least bit interested in stand up comedy as an art form needs to watch Call Me Lucky. It's not only really well-made and entertaining for a talking heads documentary but it takes an incredibly disturbing turn halfway through that I was not expecting. It goes so much deeper than something like American: The Bill Hicks Story in showing the horrible things that can fuel a comedian's anger and the catharsis and positive change that can come out of it. Don't be put off if it's about a comedian you hadn't heard of (I didn't either prior to hearing reviews) because it's such an interesting story anyway.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

e_e wrote: »
    Everyone who is the least bit interested in stand up comedy as an art form needs to watch Call Me Lucky. It's not only really well-made and entertaining for a talking heads documentary but it takes an incredibly disturbing turn halfway through that I was not expecting. It goes so much deeper than something like American: The Bill Hicks Story in showing the horrible things that can fuel a comedian's anger and the catharsis and positive change that can come out of it. Don't be put off if it's about a comedian you hadn't heard of (I didn't either prior to hearing reviews) because it's such an interesting story anyway.

What region is that? Really like Goldethwaite's fictional stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just in case you've been living under a rock these past few weeks, Jessica Jones is streaming on all regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Short Poppies is funny, handy for killing a spare 20 minutes. Developing an unhealthy obsession with Jackie Van Beek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What region is that? Really like Goldethwaite's fictional stuff.
    Irish, sure it's on some of the others too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

tigger123 wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this? I've read it on this thread before, and it makes zero sense to me.

Regularly in the Netflix category 'Top Picks for Tigger' there's titles with a one star (red) rating. Why would Netflix be recommending titles to me that it believes I will give 1 star out of 5 having watched them? How is that a recommendation?

From the horse's mouth

Apart from anything else, no algorithm is perfect and nobody's tastes are uniquely and exactly described by a simple model - so showing you films that eg others with similar tastes/viewing histories to you have liked, but which your rating history suggests you may dislike, means that if you like the film the algorithm can correct for the new data, and if you dislike it the existing model is reinforced.

To put it another way, it allows Netflix to avoid putting you in an echo chamber that would only show you a reductive approximation of all the catalogue entries that you might actually like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

e_e wrote: »

Thank you for the recommendation. Really enjoyed it (though it was very dark at times).

Will be telling others.

Fysh wrote: »
    From the horse's mouth

Apart from anything else, no algorithm is perfect and nobody's tastes are uniquely and exactly described by a simple model - so showing you films that eg others with similar tastes/viewing histories to you have liked, but which your rating history suggests you may dislike, means that if you like the film the algorithm can correct for the new data, and if you dislike it the existing model is reinforced.

To put it another way, it allows Netflix to avoid putting you in an echo chamber that would only show you a reductive approximation of all the catalogue entries that you might actually like.

I'm not seeing anything there that says the red ratings are what Netflix beleives you'll think of the film:
    Netflix wrote:
    We offer thousands of titles to stream -- that’s a lot! When you rate movies and TV shows, you're helping us filter through the thousands of selections to get a better idea of what you'd like to watch.

How does it all work? We use a recommendation algorithm that takes certain factors into consideration, such as:

The genres of movies and TV shows available.
    Your streaming history, and previous ratings you’ve made.
    The combined ratings of all Netflix members who have similar tastes in titles to you.

Netflix gives you the option to rate movies and TV shows that you've watched or that have been recommended to you on a 1-5 star rating scale, with a one star rating meaning 'Hated It,' and a five star rating meaning 'Loved It.'

You can also rate titles from the movie description page for a movie or TV show.

You may also review the titles that you've previously rated by clicking on Ratings under the My Profile section of Your Account.
    Rating movies and TV shows is an easy way for you to help teach us what you like. The more titles you rate, the better our suggestions will be

Is it the bolded part? Cos if it is, I don't see why Netflix would be recommending one star films to me ... ???

Apologies for dragging the thread off topic.

I watched the Seven Five doc last night and it's excellent. Also watched Carnage, its on Canadian, and it's fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,372 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night added to Netflix US.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I must be missing something or just thick, I think Master of None Is Rubbish really not seeing the funny side. Maybe its just me I do hate dude humour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I must be missing something or just thick, I think Master of None Is Rubbish really not seeing the funny side. Maybe its just me I do hate dude humour

I dont think Aziz wanted it to be just a comedy. There's a few layers to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

IvaBigWun wrote:
    I dont think Aziz wanted it to be just a comedy. There's a few layers to it.

Fair enough personally don't see that depth. But good to know its not a straight up comedy. I've only watched two episodes so maybe i didn't give it enough of a chance.

Dark Star: H.R. Giger's World documentary on US Netflix now for all you sick f**ks.

Fair enough personally don't see that depth. But good to know its not a straight up comedy. I've only watched two episodes so maybe i didn't give it enough of a chance.

There's a bit of a Curb Your Enthusiasm vibe off it, I loved it, but I can see why it's a bit marmite for people too. The episode with Claire Danes was my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm 5 episodes in with Jessica Jones, Its pretty, good, but I reckon I prefer Daredevil, Theres something I can't put my finger on thats slightly spoiling it for me. It might be that its trying a little too hard to be edgy?
    David Tennant is fantastic though. The scene where
    He moves into a family home and tells the kids to go wait in the closet is genuinely unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Found it got better after a couple of episodes, I tend to give a series 5 episodes to see if its good, I almost gave up on the 100 but then it got good. I think that it takes shows awhile to get going as the first few episodes are establishing the universe, which may take longer in a new concept, compared to something like Batman whos story we all know by now and we are just waiting to see someone elses take on him

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I watched Enemy over the weekend. Very confusing and an ending that left me a little freaked out. Great atmosphere that reminded me of David Lynch or early Cronenberg. Gyllenhaal is excellent.

I spent a lot of time yesterday reading interpretations and analysis of it and I'm still confused. Recommended for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

den87 wrote: »
    Scorpion Season 1 is on UK and Ireland

Is Scorpion any good? I saw some promotional stuff for it on US TV a while back and it looked really bland. Every character appeared to be a complete cliché.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement