Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,370 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    I will be looking forward to this Snowpiercer was a great film.

Brad Pitt and Netflix Are Backing Snowpiercer Director Bong Joon-ho’s Next Film
    Brad Pitt and Netflix have agreed to back Bong Joon-ho's highly anticipated next film. Pitt's Plan B production company (which partnered with Netflix on his upcoming War Machine) will co-produce the film, while Netflix has invested in it. Okja, Joon-ho's first film since last year's VOD hit Snowpiercer, is described as a Korean monster movie about a young girl who befriends a creature called Okja and embarks on an "adventure across [their] tough world." Jake Gyllenhaal has been tapped to star alongside Paul Dano, Tilda Swinton, Kelly Macdonald, and Bill Nighy. Netflix, which plans to launch in South Korea sometime next year, will give the film a theatrical run in 2017. (There's no word yet on whether it'll also be available to stream on Netflix.) Joon-ho reportedly made his dystopian thriller on a $40 million budget, but explained in an announcement that he "needed a bigger budget than [he] had for Snowpiercer and also complete creative freedom," both of which he says Netflix and Pitt have granted him. Thanks, guys.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/brad-pitt-netflix-back-bong-joon-hos-next-film.html?mid=imdb

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

What about Bob? added to France. That's my Saturday night sorted along with Fallout 4 I needed an excuse to stay in.

Might not be to everyone's taste but it ranks up with one of my fav Bill Murray movie's, although I haven't seen it in years ...............hope it still holds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Snowpiercer was good but I thought it was a bit overrated in some circles due to how the release was handled/botched. I'm glad it found an audience in the post-DVD landscape. (remember how people talked about films like Donnie DarKo "finding an audience" on DVD?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Recommend master of none

• Registered Users Posts: 41 slangamerican

What we do in the shadows is well worth a watch, it's a comedy/horror with Jemaine Clement from FOTC

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Enjoyed The Gift on Netflix France. Very tense when
    yer man is opening the final three presents.

But I would agree with was said on here by some that he could have simply
    demanded a DNA test. Even if he hadnt stayed with his wife I think he still would have been legally entitled to get one done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is Narcos season 2 up on netflix yet?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No season one has only been out a few months sure....

It hasn't even started filming yet.

It will be another 10 months or so before it appears on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

IvaBigWun wrote: »

But I would agree with was said on here by some that he could have simply
    demanded a DNA test. Even if he hadnt stayed with his wife I think he still would have been legally entitled to get one done.

To what end though? What did Bateman's character stand to gain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It hasn't even started filming yet.

That's no excuse!:D

Dunno about the acurracy of this but flixsearch says there are over 10,000 titles on US Netflix
    Close to 4,000 titles for Ireland.
    I would guess that each episode of a TV series counts as 1.
    p4RuHWf.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The US has, or had at one time anyway, a hell of a lot more kids programs, many of which would only have an episode length of a couple of minutes. If they factor in episodes rather than shows it might skew it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

with bob and david added to all regions

http://www.netflix.com/title/80049065

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

To what end though? What did Bateman's character stand to gain?
    Edgerton's character could be then charged with rape and breaking and entering.

Roman Holiday added to Netflix Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

peteeeed wrote: »
    the french connection (classic) added to irish netflix

I also wished they threw up the sequel, a underrated film (not as good as the first film, but not many films are) but still a top notch film with Popeye out of his depth in France and probably has Gene Hackman's greatest performance (especially that cold turkey stuff) and I love that ending, you could imagine the complaints that would get today.

Does anyone know what version of French Connection is on netflix? For the bluray a few years ago it was "digitally remasteed" - basically Friedkin screwed around with the colours and contast on a computer. This has happened a lot with home video releases and it drives me nuts.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/french-connection-bluray-controversy/
    The French Connection’ was first released on Blu-ray in February of 2009 with what was reported to be the full participation and supervision of William Friedkin. For the video master, the director put the film through an elaborate digital overhaul that radically altered the photography to give the movie what Friedkin described as “pastel” colors. (Because the gritty realism of ‘The French Connection’ really calls out for a pastel color palette, right?) The exact process that the film underwent is described in the supplemental features in the 2-disc set. The results on Disc 1 looked terrible. The video suffered from jacked-up contrasts, smeary colors and a sickly purple tinge over almost everything. Character faces literally glowed. It was a cartoonish facsimile of the original film, and a downright travesty.

Many viewers were left aghast at what Friedkin had done to his own movie. Among them was ‘French Connection’ cinematographer Owen Roizman, who rightly described the disc as “atrocious.” This then led into a war of words between Friedkin and Roizman, in which Friedkin barely stopped short of calling his former colleague incompetent.

fernandoreymastereds.jpg

1093_8.jpg

Just got in and checked. The version on Netflix is the earlier 2009 release with diddled out colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Ageyev wrote: »
    Just got in and checked. The version on Netflix is the earlier 2009 release with diddled out colours.

So, the inferior version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Ageyev wrote: »
    A quick search online doesn't throw anything up but I can well believe it. Entertainment in Video/New Linemwere awful for putting rubbish like "The Crow: Batman meets Terminator" or "Pleasantville: Truman Show meets Back to the Future". They were hilariously bad.

The worst of those Entertainment in Video/New Line '[BLANK] meets [BLANK]' film review quotes was for Boogie Nights.

'Goodfellas meets Pulp Fiction'

How the hell is Boogie Nights 'Goodfellas meets Pulp Fiction'?!

oyubprg88agg.jpg

• Advertisement

So, the inferior version?

Yeah, it looks pretty bad. The later digital copy made for the "signature" BD re-issue has got its flaws in terms of oversaturated colours but better than the bizarre 2008 "remaster pastel" that is on Netflix....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Harry66

The Seven Five added to Netflix Canada.

This riveting film examines the case of Mike Dowd, a corrupt Brooklyn cop who became dirtier than the drug dealers he was supposed to be policing. In a New York neighborhood fraught with drugs and crime, one cop cracked down. Then he started his own empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 New Ice Age

Watched a film on US Netflix last night - Kristy. Very entertaining. Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting much, but it was fun how it all unfolded and it was a good idea.

Of course, being a slasher type movie you have characters making stupid decisions throughout, but it's still an enjoyable film with a few tense moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The worst of those Entertainment in Video/New Line '[BLANK] meets [BLANK]' film review quotes was for Boogie Nights.

'Goodfellas meets Pulp Fiction'

How the hell is Boogie Nights 'Goodfellas meets Pulp Fiction'?!

oyubprg88agg.jpg
    The least of that DVD's problems, it was a 2.35:1 image but they cropped it for no good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

'Call Me Lucky', the Barry Crimmins documentary by Bobcat Goldthwait now on Irish Netflix. Very touching and highly recommended. Never made the connection before that Bobcat, the director of some of my favourite find from the last couple of years, was the annoying guy with the weird voice on Police Academy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Testament of Youth added to UK/Ireland today.

Based on the memoir by Vera Britain it tells of her early life in the lead up to WW1, her fight to be allowed go to Oxford and how she leaves all that behind after a year to become a nurse and serve during the War. Alicia Vikander plays Vera and is in pretty much every scene. It's a refreshing take on WW1, seeing it entirely from a woman's point of view. Her brother, her fiance and their best friend all served in the War and they come in and out of the film but the focus is solely on what it's like to be the person left behind, living from letter to letter. It's one of my favourite films of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Apologies if this has already been answered, but where do you guys get the news of all the various stuff thats newly added to the various netflix regions?
    I find https://flixsearch.io is great if you know what you're looking for, but is there a better source?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

peteeeed wrote: »
    with bob and david added to all regions

http://www.netflix.com/title/80049065

I like the 2 guys, but I thought the first episode was awful. I think the stupid audience laughter doesn't help.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Apologies if this has already been answered, but where do you guys get the news of all the various stuff thats newly added to the various netflix regions?
    I find https://flixsearch.io is great if you know what you're looking for, but is there a better source?
    Thanks

I use this one... http://uk.whatsnewonnetflix.com/

You can change between regions by clicking on the flags.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Master of None is pretty good, not side splittingly funny but more insightful than I was expecting. The start of episode two was a thing of genius.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement