Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

on U.S.A Netflix, just after watching Paul Auster/Wayne Wang double bill love letter to Brooklyn Smoke (1994) and it's sorta sequel Blue In The Face (1995).

In Smoke, Characters and subplots are deftly woven into a tapestry of stories and pictures which only slowly emerges to our view. In Auggie's (a brilliant performance from Harvey Keital) Brooklyn smoke shop, day by day passes, seemingly unchanging until he teaches us to notice the little details of life. Paul Benjamin (William Hurt, great as per usual), a disheartened and broken writer, has a brush with death that is pivotal and sets up an unlikely series of events that afford him a novel glimpse into the life on the street which he saw, but did not truly perceive, every day. Finally, it's Auggie's turn to spin a tale. A great support cast of Forest Whitaker, Stockard Channing, Jared Harris, Harold Perrineau (Augustus Hill From Oz) and a show stealing scene from Ashley Judd as Channing's Junkie daughter, which sadly she only showed glimpse's of this greatest after. This is a lot more heartfelt, linear and a far better film overall then Blue in the Face plus Hurt and Keital are amazing.

Blue in the Face, is a lot more funnier and far more improvisational then Smoke but lacks it's heart and William Hurt at that, with more star studded cameo's from Madonna, Michael J Fox, Lou Reed and Roseanne Barr. Not everything works (Madonna, Fox and Barr) but some do (Reed and especially Jim Jarmusch cameo). Only Harvey Keital, Jared Harris and one or two others return from Smoke, but the setting of Smoke shop is still there. But it's not a patch on the first film but it's well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Separate threads for film & TV
    Can anyone recommend some good Christmas film on Irish netflix?

apart from Home Alone 1&2, Christmas Carol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

fin12 wrote: »

Haven't seen 'em yet but I have Scrooged, Black Christmas and Happy Christmas on my list to watch nearer the date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

e_e wrote: »
    Haven't seen 'em yet but I have Scrooged, Black Christmas and Happy Christmas on my list to watch nearer the date.

Scrooged is great. Well worth a watch.

Stay away from Christmas Angel. Absolute muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Jingle all the way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Christmas with the Kranks and Jingle all the way are good comedic ones if thats what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

fin12 wrote: »

It's a Wonderful Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,850 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

National lampoons Christmas vacation! Very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 31,850 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Master of none is really enjoyable if anyone hasn't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Just watched VICE with Bruce Willis...The man must have a serious cash problem lately to be doing this kind of drivel....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

2016 is going to be a huge year for Netflix. They'll be increasing their selection of originals from 16 to over 30 and apparently they're also working on around 10 films and given how good Beasts of No Nation was for their first film I'm sure at least one or two of them will do well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Is there anything particularly great on Netflix Brazil that isn't anywhere else? So far I've found The Wizard Of Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Is there anything particularly great on Netflix Brazil that isn't anywhere else? So far I've found The Wizard Of Oz.

Why Netflix Brazil? Jump on a plane and go to Canada/Switzerland/Japan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Mezcita wrote: »
    Why Netflix Brazil? Jump on a plane and go to Canada/Switzerland/Japan.

I have traveled to those countries too much with Netflix. This is my first time in Brazil with it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

gmisk wrote: »
    Master of none is really enjoyable if anyone hasn't seen it.

I think the first episode was a slow burner, but someone else already mentioned this, the parents episode was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

scouttio wrote: »
    I would urge everyone to spend 30 minutes of your lives being totally engrossed and slightly confused by the bat-**** craziness of Kung Fury

Watched this last night! It is jaw-droppingly odd. Loads of references to 80's video games but the whole thing is so cheesy-tastic! It looked as if a fair bit of money was thrown at it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think the first episode was a slow burner, but someone else already mentioned this, the parents episode was great.

The Claire Danes one was the only 5 out of 5 with regards comedy i felt but the series overall was pretty good. A goofier Louie kind of vibe. Couldn't really buy Ansari in the role though tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

As I've been a big fan of The Who since I was a teenager, I was looking forward to this documentary on Chris Stamp and Kit Lambert, who co-managed the band for years.

Fans of The Who will know that they have been the subject of many documentaries before, not least the excellent The Kids Are Alright and the Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who.

This documentary didn't really break any new ground, but is enjoyable for fans. The contrast between Lambert and Stamp was an interesting one. Lambert was quite a well-educated, middle-class person, fluent in German and French, a closet homosexual at a time when acts of sex between two men was illegal in Britain.

Stamp – brother of Terrance Stamp – was more a typical Londoner. Both shared aspirations to be the next Truffaut or Godard, which were never really fulfilled for either.

Worth watching for fans, but there is no great revelation, or anything non-fans of The Who would be that interested in.

The ridiculous 6 isn't worth the watch, don't bother. I would post more but there's really no need to, it doesn't deserve it lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I thought sky had the rights to some of those Christmas movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

warpdrive wrote: »
    The ridiculous 6 isn't worth the watch, don't bother. I would post more but there's really no need to, it doesn't deserve it lol

The reviews are terrible

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-ridiculous-6

peteeeed wrote: »
    The reviews are terrible

.metacritic.com/movie/the-ridiculous-6

Literally the only positive is that it's 4K content.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

What would you all suggest are the best 30 for 30 sports docs on any regions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Survive and Advance is great. It's about the NC State basketball team and their coach Jim Valvano. I'd also recommend Once Brothers and Reggie Miller vs the Knicks. All the my favourites seem to be about basketball!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

What a tough question to answer, so many good ones.:D
    http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/every-espn-30-for-30-film-ranked.html

I like that list.

The U, Catching Hell, and the best their never was for me, should be much closer to the top 10, and judging from what I read online, I am not the only one.

For me, along with those 3, I really enjoyed the 2 escobars (top of nearly every list) You Don't Know Bo, Once Brothers, Unguarded, Hillsborough and The Marinovich Project to name a few.

Just my imo,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Remember these being good: Small Potatoes, Without Bias, Winning Time, Tim Richmond and The Best That Never Was. Wasn't crazy about The Two Escobars or Straight Outta L.A. though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Watched the Trojan War one recently enough, pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

So basically the answer to my question is..all of them. Thanks folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

So basically the answer to my question is..all of them. Thanks folks!

straight out of la isn't great. I'd only watch the Jordan or Marian Jones if really bored as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement