Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    Is Scorpion any good? I saw some promotional stuff for it on US TV a while back and it looked really bland. Every character appeared to be a complete cliché.

A modern day A team a throw back to the Saturday afternoon action shows of the 80's.

Really good fun show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Beefy78 wrote:
    Is Scorpion any good? I saw some promotional stuff for it on US TV a while back and it looked really bland. Every character appeared to be a complete cliché.

I saw a clip where they hacked a moving plane's computer from a convertible driving along beside it using A WIRE. It told me all I needed to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I saw a clip where they hacked a moving plane's computer from a convertible driving along beside it using A WIRE. It told me all I needed to know.

Lot of people on television forum said it turned into quite a fun show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Lot of people on television forum said it turned into quite a fun show.

I'm sure it did but personally I don't think that level of F&F ridiculousness works on the small screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

I'm 5 episodes in with Jessica Jones, Its pretty, good, but I reckon I prefer Daredevil, Theres something I can't put my finger on thats slightly spoiling it for me. It might be that its trying a little too hard to be edgy?

Jessica just fights for herself imo and even then it's crap. Daredevil fights for the city. There's a real sense of hells kitchen in Dd but Jessica just seems to be in a city which is new yorky. Half the supporting characters feel dumb like the neighbours and hope. It's all about Trish and Luke for me.

I watched all of JJ and enjoyed it as a nice distraction but Dd is the level I expect and this fell short of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Jessica just fights for herself imo. Daredevil fights for the city.
    Honestly this is more intriguing to me than the usual "one true hero" stuff with ridiculously high stakes every single ****ing time. Don't see the problem with a more personal, down to earth story being tackled. In fact it's the kind of stuff I crave after seeing 47 Marvel movies that all end with the heroes fighting in the city around a blue light shooting up into the sky. :pac:

Although I'm only 2 episodes into JJ, if I have an issue is that it's a bit of a slog tbh. The episodes could be half the length and would be much more impactful, it's as if they designed the show for the kind of viewer who'd be half watching the screen and half looking at their phone in hand. Still I'm pretty interested so far, if it grows on me more I'll definitely check out Daredevil right after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

e_e wrote: »
    Honestly this is more intriguing to me than the usual "one true hero" stuff with ridiculously high stakes every single ****ing time. Don't see the problem with a more personal, down to earth story being tackled. In fact it's the kind of stuff I crave after seeing 47 Marvel movies that all end with the heroes fighting in the city around a blue light shooting up into the sky. :pac:

Although I'm only 2 episodes into JJ, if I have an issue is that it's a bit of a slog tbh. The episodes could be half the length and would be much more impactful, it's as if they designed the show for the kind of viewer who'd be half watching the screen and half looking at their phone in hand. Still I'm pretty interested so far, if it grows on me more I'll definitely check out Daredevil right after.

I'm another few episodes in now, and I'm still finding very uneven, there is some very dark material which is really interesting, but its offset by a fight scene that isn't too far removed from the old batman show on saturday morning tv. Its definitely trying way to hard to do the whole "tough girl with a sensitive soul, all moody and plenty whiskey bottles"

epsiode spoilers ahead:
    The girl who shot her parents wanting to abort her baby that was concieved as a result of being raped by kilgrave and in the same episode you had an incredibly lame fight between luke cage, JJ and some thugs in a weed growhouse
    when you compare that to the hallway fight in daredevil, its just poles apart. I'll see it out to the end, mainly cause I like spotting the links to other marvel properties but I'm a little let down after all the hype.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I had high hopes for Jessica Jones but despite a strong start was left extremely underwhelmed. Bland plotting, no drama, no atmosphere after the first episodes, a villain that never reaches his full potential and a bunch of badly written characters. The writing is paper thin and the characters go from being traumatised by a violent or abusive incident to having totally forgotten about it hours later. Characters are introduced, are important for 1 or 2 episodes, stand around doing nothing for another episode, then disappear for several episodes before popping back up with a new plot-line.

I mean what is it supposed to be? It seems embarrassed by its association to the Marvel universe and Jessica's power are inconsistent to say the least, so it's not a superhero show. Jessica does little or no detective work after the first few episodes and the noirish elements are quickly forgotten about, so its not a detective show. There's no tension or suspense, so it's not a psychological thriller.

Take away the messed-up female protagonist, the interracial sex, the same-sex marriage and this is just a network genre show from the '90s. A modern take on action shows like Buffy or Dark Angel except the action scenes are laughably bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Mortdecai on netflix Ireland, thought it was pretty funny when I watched it. Johnny Depp is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Self/less added to Netflix Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Don't/bother would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Don't/bother would be my recommendation.

I liked it (self/less) fun action flick that looks amazing, brilliant cinematography in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Reviews for it arent great at all. Ill pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

To me netflix is becoming the xtravision of the internet, especially netflix ireland. You're just browsing through the same old crap looking for something that's remotely decent as opposed to something you really want to watch

Seriously thinking of cancelling the sub at this stage

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I see The Voices was added to the Irish site at some stage, I really enjoyed it, about as dark as a comedy can get.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I see The Voices was added to the Irish site at some stage, I really enjoyed it, about as dark as a comedy can get.

Another reason to never trust cats.
    don't get many musical numbers that start off in an inferno

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Anchorman 2 added to Irish Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Bambi wrote: »
    To me netflix is becoming the xtravision of the internet, especially netflix ireland. You're just browsing through the same old crap looking for something that's remotely decent as opposed to something you really want to watch

Seriously thinking of cancelling the sub at this stage

You are so wrong sir, best value in the history of filmed content, Not enough time in the day to watch all the excellent documentaries, films and TV shows on Netflix worldwide.

You are so wrong sir, best value in the history of filmed content, Not enough time in the day to watch all the excellent documentaries, films and TV shows on Netflix worldwide.

not really there are plenty of times that I cant find anything to watch. I love documentaries but I havent come across a good documentary to watch on netflix in ages, its good and I like netflix but It not brilliant.

peteeeed wrote: »

Burn it, burn it with fire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The keyword there being worldwide; plenty of people only have access (or rather the ability to access) the Irish version and that's not exactly overflowing with the best/freshest of content.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think it's unbelievable value for the price. Compare it to Sky or UPC and it's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think it's unbelievable value for the price. Compare it to Sky or UPC and it's awesome.

At seven Euro a month it may as well be free. Step outside your comfort zone and watch something foreign, there are some amazing hidden gems to be discovered

Certainly its good value when compared to the likes of UPC or Sky and even more so if you have the ability to access other regions but looking back on the last 12 months I'd be surprised if I watched even 20 hours of content; I think only House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black. Its still cheap enough at €6.99 that its more hastle to cancel it than to leave it but once the price point I'm grandfathered into runs out I can't see myself keeping it on simply because the stuff I want to watch (tv series primarily) isn't available on the Irish region and its more hastle* than its worth to get a chromecast working on other regions.

*=Well, not so much hastle but more I'm not willing to route all my traffic through servers I don't trust and switching access points just to use my phone as a remote is more inconvenience than I'm willing to put up with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

JohnK wrote: »
    Certainly its good value when compared to the likes of UPC or Sky and even more so if you have the ability to access other regions but looking back on the last 12 months I'd be surprised if I watched even 20 hours of content; I think only House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black. Its still cheap enough at €6.99 that its more hastle to cancel it than to leave it but once the price point I'm grandfathered into runs out I can't see myself keeping it on simply because the stuff I want to watch (tv series primarily) isn't available on the Irish region and its more hastle* than its worth to get a chromecast working on other regions.

*=Well, not so much hastle but more I'm not willing to route all my traffic through servers I don't trust and switching access points just to use my phone as a remote is more inconvenience than I'm willing to put up with.

What alternatives are you looking at? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Watched the first episode of Jessica Jones tonight.
    Can see myself really getting into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Scandinavian film force Majeure added to Irish Netflix , heard good things about this film

What alternatives are you looking at? :)

I wish there were some!

peteeeed wrote: »

Watching it now, I think James Marsden is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Watched the first episode of Jessica Jones tonight.
    Can see myself really getting into it.
    7 eps in and I'm enjoying it more than just about any Marvel thing I've watched to date.

I haven't watched Daredevil yet but it wouldn't surprise me if
    those loan sharks
    I saw in episode 6 appear in that show too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement