Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Hey guys,
    Recently moved and now closer to the cab so my DSL sync is great and has the potential to do 130M.
    Strange thing is the DSL keeps dropping out every so often. Think it might be worth while asking to be put down to a 90M profile

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):20478
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s):102396
    Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):26840
    Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):131006
    Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):12.5
    Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):17.4
    Upstream interleave depth:0
    Downstream interleave depth:0
    Line standard:VDSL
    Upstream line attenuation (dB):9.9
    Downstream line attenuation (dB):6.7
    Upstream output power (dBmV):-17.8
    Downstream output power (dBmV):12.6
    Downstream interleave depth:None
    DSL up time: 0 days 11 hours 46 minutes 57 seconds

Ignore what your modem thinks it can do. The max that eir will give you is 100.

Fire your number in here and tell us what it thinks your line is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Ignore what your modem thinks it can do. The max that eir will give you is 100.

Fire your number in here and tell us what it thinks your line is capable of.

I know that Eir will only offer 100M and not more for now. However, not exactly what Im talking about. The line is capable of 130M, that's irrelevant. It has a 100M profile on it and I'm wondering with the noise level and stats on the output if I should look at reducing the profile to 90M to decrease noise level on the line. I don't know the VDSL db stats like I know fiber ones, and Im wondering if I am on the boarder with noise that may cause the DSL to drop intermittently.

*I dont mean the above to sound d*ckheadish :o

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

Hi all,

Just how accurate are these routers (mine is F2000) at stating the maximum downstream rate ?

I had issues earlier this year when the service went down in my area and my profile which was set at 80mb for almost a year was reduced to 60mb. I noticed around May of this year my router was stating that the maximum downstream rate was over 100mb. I have been keeping a regular eye on it since and it seems to move a lot. I've seen it as high as 106mb and last night it was down as low as 68mb. Normally however it is somewhere in the 90's. At this moment it is

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
    Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
    Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
    Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
    Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):

Are these routers just really unreliable or do you think there is some problem on my line because I'd like to have my profile set back you to the 80mb I originally had. The line checker in MMFITWGDV post says my line can do 90mb.

Would appreciate the input from those more knowledgeable than myself before I go ringing Eir.

Thanks,
    doney84

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

EDIT: Posted into wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

doney84 wrote: »
    STATS
    Your line is faulting if its showing wildly inconsistent attainables. Its normal for them to rise and fall slightly with increased noise at peak, but we're talking a few % only.
    daraghwal wrote: »
    So an eir tech just recommended I move down from 3 Mbps to 1 Mbps... Yay... I used to be on 6, they just keep moving me down. It's ridiculous

ADSL isnt really the topic of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

ED E wrote: »
    Your line is faulting if its showing wildly inconsistent attainables. Its normal for them to rise and fall slightly with increased noise at peak, but we're talking a few % only.

ADSL isnt really the topic of this thread.
    Had two threads open. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/
    Exchange Code:  Unknown

DSL Enabled:  Yes - 10 MB

NGB Enabled:  Yes - 10 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 7 MB

LLU Enabled: No

Should I get the Fibre Broadband at 7Mb or stick with what I have now? Would there be any chance of it being higher than 7Mb?

Manc Red wrote: »
    http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/
    Exchange Code:  Unknown

DSL Enabled:  Yes - 10 MB

NGB Enabled:  Yes - 10 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 7 MB

LLU Enabled: No

Should I get the Fibre Broadband at 7Mb or stick with what I have now? Would there be any chance of it being higher than 7Mb?

What's your upload like? If that was poor and you upload a bit, the 7Mbps VDSL will get you a 1Mbps upload - not massive, but if you were used to 0.5Mbps or less, then you might notice an improvement.

Do you get a consistent speed of ~10Mbps down from your current ADSL?

Are you connected to an exchange or a cab?

Id say nope.

Problem 10Mb becomes 9 or 8 or 7Mb.

Problem 7Mb stays a problem till you cancel the service.

The problem with the APQ is we don't see raw values so it could be 7.001 or it could be 11.9999 and we'd still see 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

What's your upload like? If that was poor and you upload a bit, the 7Mbps VDSL will get you a 1Mbps upload - not massive, but if you were used to 0.5Mbps or less, then you might notice an improvement.

Do you get a consistent speed of ~10Mbps down from your current ADSL?

Are you connected to an exchange or a cab?
    I believe a cabinet that is around 3km away.
    Here are the stats:
    Speed: 12288 kbps/670 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 38.9 dB/ 21.5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6.5 dB/ 18.4 dB

The noise margin is pretty terrible but I have been told its ok several times and that I don't need to lower the speed.

We do however get this:
    near-end FEC error fast: 0
    near-end FEC error interleaved: 57438
    near-end CRC error fast: 0
    near-end CRC error interleaved: 1053
    near-end HEC error fast: 0
    near-end HEC error interleaved: 5026
    far-end FEC error fast: 0
    far-end FEC error interleaved: 16
    far-end CRC error fast: 0
    far-end CRC error interleaved: 0
    far-end HEC error fast: 0
    far-end HEC error interleaved: 0

This is bad right? We have had an engineer come multiple times. They changed some of the wiring and connectors and still no improvement.

Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

6.5 is ok, 6 is the target so it means you've some overhead if not much.

Those errors are dependent on the timescale in question. 1 minute? Huge problems, 1 day, insignificant.

Manc Red wrote: »
    I believe a cabinet that is around 3km away.
    Here are the stats:
    Speed: 12288 kbps/670 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 38.9 dB/ 21.5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6.5 dB/ 18.4 dB

The noise margin is pretty terrible but I have been told its ok several times and that I don't need to lower the speed.

You reckon it's 3KM away and that attenuation reckons the line is over 2,800m.

I'm afraid you ain't getting VDSL - you're too far away. :(

Sorry dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

He qualifies for vdsl according to the line checker. So he's currently getting adsl from the exchange (as you do) but qualifies for vdsl from a nearer (but distant) cabinet. That's my reading of the situation without looking back pages of this thread..

jd wrote: »
    He qualifies for vdsl according to the line checker. So he's currently getting adsl from the exchange (as you do) but qualifies for vdsl from a nearer (but distant) cabinet. That's my reading of the situation without looking back pages of this thread..

That line checker has been seen to be wrong too! :rolleyes:

There's a recent thread from folks around Milford, Co. Cork that are being shown 40Mbps, even though the nearest exchange/cab is 4KM away.

@Manc_Red - go here and see if there is a closer cab to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi all,

I live within 200 metres from the cabinet.

Fibre has just been enabled.
    Line checker says up to 30mb

When I try my neighbours (same line of houses) they get up to 80mb which is what I would have expected given my distance from the cabinet

Any idea of why there is such a big difference?

Does the available speed tend to rise given that it's just enabled?

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I live within 200 metres from the cabinet.

Fibre has just been enabled.
    Line checker says up to 30mb

When I try my neighbours (same line of houses) they get up to 80mb which is what I would have expected given my distance from the cabinet

Any idea of why there is such a big difference?

Does the available speed tend to rise given that it's just enabled?

Have you got ADSL Broadband at the moment? If so can you post the line stats from your modem? In particular the downstream attenuation. This might give us an indication of your line length.

Have you got ADSL Broadband at the moment? If so can you post the line stats from your modem? In particular the downstream attenuation. This might give us an indication of your line length.

Sure I have ...
    Downstream
    Attenuation:31db
    Noise: 6db

Upstream:
    Attenuation: 18db
    Nose: 20db

Currently line is capable of 12mb and I get 10mb (which I thought was a sign of a decent line)

Distance from cabinet (google maps by road) is 700 metres
    As the crow flies about 200 metres

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Sure I have ...
    Downstream
    Attenuation:31db
    Noise: 6db

Upstream:
    Attenuation: 18db
    Nose: 20db

Currently line is capable of 12mb and I get 10mb (which I thought was a sign of a decent line)

Distance from cabinet (google maps by road) is 700 metres
    As the crow flies about 200 metres

According to this you're 2,200m from the exchange. I know it says you would get 14Mbps on VDSL, but if your line is that length eir won't give you fibre at that distance.

I'm presuming that your line must go through a nearer cab, which is why they are telling you that you can get 30. That profile would give you a line length of between 1,000-1,100m from a cab.

Either that or the line checker is telling porkies like it was for some folks near Milford, Co. Cork recently.

According to this you're 2,200m from the exchange. I know it says you would get 14Mbps on VDSL, but if your line is that length eir won't give you fibre at that distance.

I'm presuming that your line must go through a nearer cab, which is why they are telling you that you can get 30. That profile would give you a line length of between 1,000-1,100m from a cab.

Either that or the line checker is telling porkies like it was for some folks near Milford, Co. Cork recently.

I see this was already addressed in the other thread.

Yep about 2km from exchange would be spot on!
    Let's hope it's the line checker

Yep asked a similar question on another thread.

This forum is an invaluable resource for understanding the workings of our infrastructure

And is so much better than the standard ... "It might get quicker"/"Did you restart the modem" response from our provider's CS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭funnyname

vectoring has been enabled at my local exchange, too far away for efibre but should we get a small boost to our 6.1mb line? It all counts when you are out in the boonies!

funnyname wrote: »
    vectoring has been enabled at my local exchange, too far away for efibre but should we get a small boost to our 6.1mb line? It all counts when you are out in the boonies!

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

Has vectoring been enabled or have Eir increased the speeds available at some of the exchanges? My local one has been "boosted" from 70 to 100 on the Eir website, yet when I use the line checker on their site, the speeds stay the same. Probably a typo or mistake on the website so, yeah?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

So actually finally after over a year managed to draw some blood from the stone which is Eir. OLA1_002 cabinet apparently internally has a 3-6 months timeline on it, this is nearly two years after the build was "commenced" on the rollout map. I would have preferred them to have pushed to wrap up these last few FTTC cabinets though because it's really stupid that it's going to take them into 2017 possibly 2018 to finish this rollout when we really need FTTH to have started properly a few months ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So actually finally after over a year managed to draw some blood from the stone which is Eir. OLA1_002 cabinet apparently internally has a 3-6 months timeline on it, this is nearly two years after the build was "commenced" on the rollout map. I would have preferred them to have pushed to wrap up these last few FTTC cabinets though because it's really stupid that it's going to take them into 2017 possibly 2018 to finish this rollout when we really need FTTH to have started properly a few months ago.

few cabinets in Ratoath are 6-12 months away, 1 cabinet even seems to have been pulled altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

BandMember wrote: »
    Has vectoring been enabled or have Eir increased the speeds available at some of the exchanges? My local one has been "boosted" from 70 to 100 on the Eir website, yet when I use the line checker on their site, the speeds stay the same. Probably a typo or mistake on the website so, yeah?? :confused:

There is an anomaly on the map where if a cabinet is enabled in an exchange area it then says that the whole area can access 100Mb speeds even though the exchange itself may not have been vectored. Perhaps this is what happened in your case?

There is an anomaly on the map where if a cabinet is enabled in an exchange area it then says that the whole area can access 100Mb speeds even though the exchange itself may not have been vectored. Perhaps this is what happened in your case?

I don't think so as there are no cabinets in the area (I've never seen any anyway). The exchange was always listed as up to 70Mb (as are all the others in the county) but after the last map update it lists it as 100Mb. Now, while I realise that is probably a mistake, I am hoping that actually has been vectored as everyone would see a bump in speed, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I don't think so as there are no cabinets in the area (I've never seen any anyway). The exchange was always listed as up to 70Mb (as are all the others in the county) but after the last map update it lists it as 100Mb. Now, while I realise that is probably a mistake, I am hoping that actually has been vectored as everyone would see a bump in speed, yes?

I'm not sure up to what distance vectoring is effective, one of the other guys will be able to answer that. There's also the possibility that is is just a typo as you said. It is not unknown to happen with the updates.

Not all users see a bump. It depends on what the noise sources are, VDSL uptake, density of users etc.

"Boost" is from 0 - 30%.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Not all users see a bump. It depends on what the noise sources are, VDSL uptake, density of users etc.

"Boost" is from 0 - 30%.

Thanks to both of you for the reply. Did another check and I have noticed one or two other exchanges in the county as having been boosted from 70 to 100 on the Fibre Where and When site. However, when I run a few numbers/addresses from my exchange/area on the Eir site, they get the same speeds as before (up to 70 max). I checked the closest numbers to the exchange, they all stayed the same.

So, I would imagine it's either a typo on the where and when site or else the Eir site hasn't been updated yet (which is no surprise as it's an absolute disgrace how inaccurate it is), but obviously I'm hoping that the former is actually the correct situation.... :D

I suppose the main point of my post was to see if anyone else had experienced vectoring or seen a bump on their speeds anywhere else as I would imagine that they have been doing it in as many places as possible - if they are actually doing it at all??

Advertisement