Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Zith wrote: »
    At least it might sort out the contention once the exchange backhaul is upgraded to support efibre. I'm 5.5KM from my exchange and lucky to have a 3Meg connection but peak time congestion has now evolved into every week day from 4pm to midnight and weekends practically all day 9am to 1am. Pretty much any time you want to use the thing.

I've got the same problem, except since the nearest Cab has gone live about 2km away instead of getting better, it's gotten worse at peak times which is about 3pm-1am my speeds grind to a halt and sometimes it's so slow it can't even connect. I've had numerous call outs, I bought a new modem, tried almost everything and it all boils down to too many people online and not enough band width. We've had Broadband here for about 6 years now and at peak times it's slower now than it was 6 years ago, since there are now a lot more people online and with Netflix and all, the lines are getting a lot more activity,but the local lines haven't improved. I thought efibre would be my savior, but i think it's the opposite and it appears I won't benefit from efibre at all, since although I'm only 2km from the cab and about 1km from the next planned cab, since I'm in a rural setting and not in a housing estate, it looks like eircom will probably give me the two fingers and as well ESB also is only concerned with highly populated areas. For the past 2 years I was waiting on efibre, but now I realise it's like waiting for godot and it will probably never come. Now with the price increases, wireless internet is looking more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Have finally been able to place my order for eFibre following the cab coming online yesterday. Unfortunately, they don't have an appointment until Tuesday week.
    Just wondering if anyone has had any luck while on the cancellation list. I put my name down on the off chance a slot will pop up at short notice and was wondering, has anyone had any luck with getting an earlier installation following putting their name down on the list for a cancellation?

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

Took my order 2 weeks also. Well more like 16 days ish.

Worth the wait !

When you get it in. Get it up and running...then try to get fastest speeds.

I went from 17 to 24 (ish) to 40 eventually !

M

markmurphy wrote: »
    Took my order 2 weeks also. Well more like 16 days ish.

Worth the wait !

When you get it in. Get it up and running...then try to get fastest speeds.

I went from 17 to 24 (ish) to 40 eventually !

M

Well I am getting evision aswell but I still expect the full 85 meg after that because I'm no more than 200m from the cab if not a good bit shorter and they told me on the phone that I would get the full 100.

Great to hear about happy customers though!

jaykay2 wrote: »
    Well I am getting evision aswell but I still expect the full 85 meg after that because I'm no more than 200m from the cab if not a good bit shorter and they told me on the phone that I would get the full 100.

Great to hear about happy customers though!

why pay for TV when they only have free view stuff ?? unless you get movies and stuff. But why get that?? When you have a 80 meg connection??

• Advertisement

why pay for TV when they only have free view stuff ?? unless you get movies and stuff. But why get that?? When you have a 80 meg connection??

It's just to have access to the basic channels. Have an old sky box upstairs but without a card in it, u only get the bbc's itv's channel 4's and a couple other bad channels. Will at least have to Irish channels and all of the above along with hd channels and recording. They're the main reasons. Also have an Apple TV 2 with XBMC on it but sometimes you just want to pop on the TV instead of looking for something to stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's just to have access to the basic channels. Have an old sky box upstairs but without a card in it, u only get the bbc's itv's channel 4's and a couple other bad channels. Will at least have to Irish channels and all of the above along with hd channels and recording. They're the main reasons. Also have an Apple TV 2 with XBMC on it but sometimes you just want to pop on the TV instead of looking for something to stream.
    I'd just get a combo saorview/freeview sat receiver and be done with it. eVision seems like a product without a market to me (unless you're in an apartment and can't mount a sat dish)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

I doubt that we will see the Setanta player app before the end of the season... Wheres the mobile network they promised by the end of 2014 as well?
    A cheaper streaming only option would be nice instead of having to subscribe via dish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭dam099

I personally don't think its great value but it does seem to offer kids channels by Disney/Nickelodeon and the History/Discovery documentary channels which I don't think you can get with any free option.

dam099 wrote: »
    I personally don't think its great value but it does seem to offer kids channels by Disney/Nickelodeon and the History/Discovery documentary channels which I don't think you can get with any free option.

Absolutely. Also, I don't think I will notice much difference between jumping from 12 meg to 85 than 12 to 100. And prob best to do it from the start so I don't feel like I will be having my speed reduced if I ordered evision in the future.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. Also, I don't think I will notice much difference between jumping from 12 meg to 85 than 12 to 100. And prob best to do it from the start so I don't feel like I will be having my speed reduced if I ordered evision in the future.

yup! once its over 30 meg..and 10 up...why bother have 100! But if it was going for same price, sure. Otherwise no.

M!

Finally had eFibre installed today. 81meg down and 20 up. Happy out with that. Downloaded like 5 Xbox one games I was waiting to download since the sale.

Getting 70+ to microsoft servers while downloading and all 5 were done in a few hours. Almost 90gigs I think.

Finally have first world broadband!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

Unfortunately I believed the rep who came to my door, that eircom had sorted out their problems, and signed up with them in October last year. Since then we have had endless hassels. Firstly it took them almost 2 months to connect us, and we live in dublin about 100m from their junction box. During this time they decided to change the contract without telling us anything about it, because (as one story went) "the computer said no". The bills that we get bear absolutely no resemblance to what we signed up for. Although I have no proof, I'm sure that the rep told me that I could record up to 4 TV programs at a time, you can only record and/or watch 2 channels at a time, and the channels are quite limited compared to Sky or UPC. I have spent hours on the phone to them, tried their online chat, written to them, emailed them, all without getting any sense or help out of them. I am so sick of this B****t, that I have asked them to cancel the contract - I hope that they are sick enough of me to do it. If I can advise anyone thinking of moving to eircom - DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kig wrote: »
    Unfortunately I believed the rep who came to my door, that eircom had sorted out their problems, and signed up with them in October last year. Since then we have had endless hassels. Firstly it took them almost 2 months to connect us, and we live in dublin about 100m from their junction box. During this time they decided to change the contract without telling us anything about it, because (as one story went) "the computer said no". The bills that we get bear absolutely no resemblance to what we signed up for. Although I have no proof, I'm sure that the rep told me that I could record up to 4 TV programs at a time, you can only record and/or watch 2 channels at a time, and the channels are quite limited compared to Sky or UPC. I have spent hours on the phone to them, tried their online chat, written to them, emailed them, all without getting any sense or help out of them. I am so sick of this B****t, that I have asked them to cancel the contract - I hope that they are sick enough of me to do it. If I can advise anyone thinking of moving to eircom - DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rep at the door...fatal mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Rep at the door...fatal mistake.

Yep eircom reps are not even hired by eircom even the reps driving the little eircom vans don't work for eircom. Been there done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Just looking at the fibre rollout site and it shows the two cabs in my estate as live. Yet when I put my number in the line checker or ask eircom they tell me it's not available but no expected date of going live.

FFS. Eircom replied with this.

I'm sorry to confirm that eircom will be unable to offer you efibre broadband as your line (and many other lines in your housing estate) is not cabled via the local VDSL (efibre) cabinet.

I've discussed this with operations and requested the reasons for this however they have advised me that they will be unable to offer me the detailed infrastructural reasoning to support this operational decision.

I really do wish I could have offered you better news as I know that you have been eager to avail of efibre.

The only good news I can offer you is that plans to increase the cabinets capacity are being looked at and we should have more news on this towards the end of 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

FFS. Eircom replied with this.

I'm sorry to confirm that eircom will be unable to offer you efibre broadband as your line (and many other lines in your housing estate) is not cabled via the local VDSL (efibre) cabinet.

I've discussed this with operations and requested the reasons for this however they have advised me that they will be unable to offer me the detailed infrastructural reasoning to support this operational decision.

I really do wish I could have offered you better news as I know that you have been eager to avail of efibre.

The only good news I can offer you is that plans to increase the cabinets capacity are being looked at and we should have more news on this towards the end of 2015.

Which email address did you use for this? Eircom sent around flyers again to my estate where ONE of SIXTY houses is enabled. I would love to know why they advertise when they know we cant avail. Would love some more information as to what the delay is. I assume we are fed direct by the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Finally had eFibre installed today. 81meg down and 20 up. Happy out with that. Downloaded like 5 Xbox one games I was waiting to download since the sale.

Getting 70+ to microsoft servers while downloading and all 5 were done in a few hours. Almost 90gigs I think.

Finally have first world broadband!

yeah well screw you and your fast broadband...

Just kidding

(no I'm not)

gerryk wrote: »
    yeah well screw you and your fast broadband...

Just kidding

(no I'm not)

Sorry Gerry. Felt the same everytime someone else on here said they had got it while I was still waiting. Even had to watch half of our estate get it while the rest of us had to wait further 18 months or so for same.

I have read every comment on this entire thread going back to when it started, and finally can relax now. Will still be floating around this thread for any new info but the pressure is off.

Very happy with it now though. These eircom lads aren't so bad after all.... ;-)

Hope you aren't left waiting too long Gerry.

Sorry Gerry. Felt the same everytime someone else on here said they had got it while I was still waiting. Even had to watch half of our estate get it while the rest of us had to wait further 18 months or so for same.

I have read every comment on this entire thread going back to when it started, and finally can relax now. Will still be floating around this thread for any new info but the pressure is off.

Very happy with it now though. These eircom lads aren't so bad after all.... ;-)

Hope you aren't left waiting too long Gerry.

Unfortunately I fall in to the 'worst of all possible worlds'.
    I am a direct feed from the exchange, so no VSDL/fibre on my circuit yet.
    I am far enough away that even when they do migrate the exchange, I will not see an appreciable speed increase (> 2.5km).
    I am in one of the areas designated 'will not be covered by commercial operators by end 2016' here http://www.broadband.gov.ie/

I am also not listed on the 1000 priority locations for the national broadband scheme here http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/National+Broadband+Plan/National+Broadband+Plan+Update+April+2014.htm

So I have no choice but to put put with my ****ty 3Mb (when it works at all) for what seems like the next 4 - 5 years at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Hi Gerryk

I am within the NBP intervention area. What does that mean? The cabinet to which I am attached is one of the new Efibre cabinets but I am too far away to receive this service so like you I have a crap 2.5 - 3 meg pipe. Does this mean I will see no improvement until new technology is rolled out?

Cheers

galljga1 wrote: »
    Hi Gerryk

I am within the NBP intervention area. What does that mean? The cabinet to which I am attached is one of the new Efibre cabinets but I am too far away to receive this service so like you I have a crap 2.5 - 3 meg pipe. Does this mean I will see no improvement until new technology is rolled out?

Cheers

I am actually not sure. I can tell you what the possibilities might be from a technical standpoint, but not what is planned by The Powers That Be.

1. replace the VDSLAM in the cabinet with one that has greater range.
    2. add a cabinet somewhere closer to you, backhauled via fibre to either another cabinet or to the exchange.

Cheers

So the reality is I won't see any improvement for years 4g rollout may provide some improvement if they allow a reasonable download allowance rather than 5 or 7.5 GB. Ah well, first world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll most likely be serviced by FTTH or G.Fast. they may build out more cabs, but the existing ones are unlikely to change.

ED E wrote: »
    You'll most likely be serviced by FTTH or G.Fast. they may build out more cabs, but the existing ones are unlikely to change.

Hi Ed

I have read somewhere that Eircom have stated that the new fibre cabinets are future proofed from an FTTH point of view.
    I have been reading up on the various technologies currently in use and also under test. Am I right in assuming both G Fast and FTTH require fibre runs to or close to the home? G. Fast appears to be the better option (to a layman). I know what FTTH stands for but does it actually mean Fibre entering your home or is the final run copper? Will we see telephone poles dissapearing all over the country if they are laying fibre? Either way, where I am, I have accepted that I will wait years for a proper service.

FTTH = Fibre into your hallway.
    GFAST= FTTDP or Fibre to the drop point = Fibre to the telephone pole, copper to your home.

A lot of the poles wont go, as the glass will be hanging off them beside the copper and then instead of.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

ED E wrote: »

There is a dearth of info at the minute. it seems from some info available that each cab will be able to facilitate hundreds more connections when(and if!!!) they start to use the spare fibres run to each cab. There is good potential for very fast connections if they do as ED E says. Hard to have patience though and the sooner eircom get this out there the better as it will solve a lot of "distance from the cab" issues. G.Fast is now ratified and an Israeli company are already manufacturing the relevant G.Fast modems.

I've tried to get up to date info from eircom several times over the past week in relation to Letterkenny where the new FTTH build was to commence last November but nothing yet.

With GPON each cab could support loads of premises. Current vdsl is 192 ports IIRC, or almost 400 in a double. Gpon gives up to 32:1, so that's 20 dark fibres x 32 = 640 premises maximum. That's passive interconnects at the cab level. If they fitted active units there, then with a low enough contention ratio you could fit even more.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

gerryk wrote: »
    Unfortunately I fall in to the 'worst of all possible worlds'.
    I am a direct feed from the exchange, so no VSDL/fibre on my circuit yet.
    I am far enough away that even when they do migrate the exchange, I will not see an appreciable speed increase (> 2.5km).
    I am in one of the areas designated 'will not be covered by commercial operators by end 2016' here http://www.broadband.gov.ie/

I am also not listed on the 1000 priority locations for the national broadband scheme here http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/National+Broadband+Plan/National+Broadband+Plan+Update+April+2014.htm

So I have no choice but to put put with my ****ty 3Mb (when it works at all) for what seems like the next 4 - 5 years at least.

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the links, but it looks like more sad news for me. I'm also in one of the areas that 'will not be covered by commercial operators by end 2016' here http://www.broadband.gov.ie/ although I'm just outside of one of the areas by about 1/2km and I am also not listed on the 1000 priority locations for the national broadband scheme here http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/National+Broadband+Plan/National+Broadband+Plan+Update+April+2014.htm

What's strange is some of the areas on the commercial operators map are far less populated than my area and many other areas that aren't covered and many of the 1000 priority locations for the national broadband scheme seem to be very small towns and villages. So if you're just outside one of the commercial areas or in my case only a mile outside of a town, but about 1/2 km outside of the "blue ring of Broadband", then I guess you're just SOL!

I also wonder how some far less populated areas seem to be getting priority over more logical and more populated areas, but I guess I should know by now, that's just the Irish Way!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 PaulieBeef

I'm also in the "not covered by Operators by 2016", but my area is one of the 1000 priority locations. Is there any information on what we can expect being at one of these locations, or timelines for completion etc.?

Advertisement