Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father Ted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

keano89 wrote: »
    When father Ted is in the picnic area and Benson comes out, he says I'm going to reach into my pocket, he pulls out a packet of cigarettes and says "do you get it?". Is that out of some ad or something have often wondered about it.
    I thought he just says "cigarette?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I know it has been used already in the thread, but this line always gets me:

Bishops love Sci-Fi!

genius

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Its not black, its very very very very very very very very very very dark blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

wprathead wrote: »
    I know it has been used already in the thread, but this line always gets me:

Bishops love Sci-Fi!

genius

We are not watching aliens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭marble

Ted trying to explain dreams & reality to Dougal with a diagram!genius

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

'No Ted!' 'It's a completely different film!''It's a different shark'!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Didnt Fr. Jack have a trial for Liverpool. No he was ON TRIAL. IN Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

One of the jokes no one ever gets: the flight out of terror episode where the guy is listening to Mr Bean on cassette. Ha, Mr. Bean never talked in any of his episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

"Dougal, how did you get into the church in the first place? Was it, like, collect 12 crisp packets and become a priest?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

You have used 3 centimeters of Sticky Tape, God Bless You

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EclipsiumRasa

chops018 wrote: »
    One of the jokes no one ever gets: the flight out of terror episode where the guy is listening to Mr Bean on cassette. Ha, Mr. Bean never talked in any of his episodes.

Well that's not completely true. He introduced himself as "Bean" at least when he visited the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Well that's not completely true. He introduced himself as "Bean" at least when he visited the hospital.

he has said a lot more than that. when he goes to a scary movie with his girlfriend, she tries to take some of his popcorn and he says "no!, it's mine".

just off the top of my head, i am nearly positive he says more.

EDIT: tedddyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

Chewing gum for the eyes

Yeah but I think the point of the joke was that he rarely says anything throughout the epidodes, therefore it would be pointless to listen to Mr. Bean on a cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I'm pretty sure that most people would get that joke.

I'm pretty sure that most people would get that joke.

Anyone I've ever chatted to about the episode never got it, I had to tell them.

Anyone I've ever chatted to about the episode never got it, I had to tell them.
    Maybe it's an age thing. When the episode was originally shown Mr. Bean was pretty current.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hoff1

One joke I never got was when they were talking abt some priest who had a hit song called vienna???..its from the eurovision episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Jayob10 wrote: »
    its some Jason McAteer urban legend

Not an urban legend either he admitted it on the podge and rodge show.:cool:

There was the "sight gag", where a famous actor (I think) who's face appeared in almost every episode, usually on a pillow cover in the bedroom or the sofa.

Could never remember who it was or why, but he's always seen at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

hoff1 wrote: »
    One joke I never got was when they were talking abt some priest who had a hit song called vienna???..its from the eurovision episode

:D I think he was called Fr Billy Currie who was the Keyboard player with Ultravox who had a massive hit in the early 80's with a song called Vienna.

Graham Linehan must be a fan of 80's music because there's some great references to songs in various episodes (including Fr Noel Furlong singing The Whole of The Moon in the tiny caravan).

There was the "sight gag", where a famous actor (I think) who's face appeared in almost every episode, usually on a pillow cover in the bedroom or the sofa.

Elvis?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hoff1

Still dont get it ...guess i had to be there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

So many little things spread throughout the episodes. And the brilliance of Dermot Morgan. I love how he answers the question at the end of the episode: 'Night of the Nearly Dead'. Brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgSxYm3mvY#t=23m02s (that will take 20 or so seconds to start playing)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Definitely one of the best comedies ever. It looked old and cheap when it was made and it still does, so for that reason it hasn't aged at all.

Dougal is great and Ted is even better. Father Jack is not funny.

Maybe it's an age thing. When the episode was originally shown Mr. Bean was pretty current.

Makes sense. I was only young when Mr. Bean and Father Ted were out, only appreciate them more years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

Jesus??? The throw on the sofa, pictures on the walls...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

For me it has to be the football episode. Also fav ever FT quote has to be "the italians love their fashion don't they ted, do you remember the fella who was so good at fashion they had to shoot him" LOL amazing comedy one of the best ever made in my view

Advertisement