Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father Ted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    There are 3-4 dodgy to not very good at all episodes in there that people seem to forget about, without these it could have challenged Fawlty Towers to the throne as "Greatest British Sit-Com Of All Time (yes, it *is* a British show, not an Irish one ;))
    I think the small references it makes giving what was Controversial at the time, is what makes it brilliant. Like when Ted is betting on a horse called 'Divorce Referendum' and when they find out Bishop Brennan has a son in America, reference to Michael Cleary/Eamon casey no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I think I should get the parachute because I'm great!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was walking through the new Tesco store in my hometown earlier, and whilst struggling to get my bearings, was immediately reminded of the priests lost in Ireland's largest lingerie department :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

e_e wrote: »
    I think I should get the parachute because I'm great!

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one of them doesn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ive been slowly making my way through it again on Netflix and a few things Ive noticed:

Its arguably the most quotable show ever, after the Simpsons.

There are 3-4 dodgy to not very good at all episodes in there that people seem to forget about, without these it could have challenged Fawlty Towers to the throne as "Greatest British Sit-Com Of All Time (yes, it *is* a British show, not an Irish one ;))

Having said that, there are - of course - many moments of sublime writing and delivery. Speed 3 is probably its finest hour imho.

And finally; how the hell did one half of the writing team also write the absolute shíte that is The IT Crowd? I wonder if Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews had a big falling out as its unusual for a mega successful writing partnership to end after just one show.

"Ride me sideways was another one!"
    the IT crowd is one of the best sitcoms from the UK this century

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

the IT crowd is one of the best sitcoms from the UK this century

It's up there alright, but still behind Peep Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I wonder if Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews had a big falling out as its unusual for a mega successful writing partnership to end after just one show.

No they didn't have a falling out, Graham went and wrote for Big Train and Black Books - his writing approach kind of changed and when he returned to write with Arthur it didn't quite click in same way. They still good friends.

Listen to Grahams interview on podcast "An Irishman Abroad" - prob most coherent explanation of the dynamic between them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭JK91

I always liked Cigarettes, Alcohol and Rollerblading. Also that one with the Lovely Girls competition. Mainly for the line 'It's a long shot Dougal, but I'm going to leave this pen and paper here and hopefully when we wake up in the morning, God will have written down what we should do.'

Can't remember exactly what happened in that episode, but it's class when Ted is on stage out of breadth talking about the girls .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

JK91 wrote: »
    Can't remember exactly what happened in that episode, but it's class when Ted is on stage out of breadth talking about the girls .
    Of course, they all have lovely bottoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

"Isn't that Bob Geldof there"
    "Tis you know"
    "I'm not sure if it is Bob Geldof...Excuse me, are you"
    "FECK OFF!!!"
    "Tis him alright" (toasts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 aidy72

Hello lads and lassies,
    Hitting ted fest at the end of february and was looking to source a Pat Mustard style costume. does anyone know of anywhere i could get one as ive searched online and pickings seem pretty slim!!

Any way if anyone could help id really appreciate it.

Thanks
    aidy72

Ted: So... let me get this straight. You were up on an old man, riding him around and whipping him. For an hour.
    Dougal: Yes.
    Ted: You realise that image will stay with me for the rest of my life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I was walking through the new Tesco store in my hometown earlier, and whilst struggling to get my bearings, was immediately reminded of the priests lost in Ireland's largest lingerie department :D

A few of us at work often quote Fr Ted in different situations. :D

Ted: There were a lot of sloppy efforts in the best baby competition this year. A lot of babies who really hadn't made any effort. And the hairiness of some of those babies: there were a lot of very hairy babies for some reason.
    Dougal: Well, Ted, if people aren't even going to shave their babies before the show...

Dougal: Ted, Ted, Teddy, Ted, Ted. Come here Teddy, Teddy, Ted, Ted, you're my best friend. God I love being a priest. We're all going to heaven lads, waheyy!

Dougal: A one-word film. There can't be too many of those. Salem's Lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

LynnGrace wrote: »
    A few of us at work often quote Fr Ted in different situations. :D

Oh we do it the whole time as well!!!

'Those women were in the nip' - when something comes together or clicks and you're like 'Oh yeahhhhh, I get ya'. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I love the house, it's so awful, all mismatched carpets, curtains, and so on.
    And of course it's all 'shoddy, shoddy' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Elektronske

this very old now, have ireland any new comedy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I hope you're not British because Father Ted was originally broadcast on Channel 4.

Awkward.

• Advertisement

Tantamount to sacrilege, how old is Fawlty Towers at this stage? What about Only Fools and Horses? How old it is is completely irrelevant, it stands the test of time and is still hilarious today. Ofcourse there are plenty of more Irish comedies commissioned by English stations, but none come close to replicating the brilliance of Father Ted. I enjoy Moone Boy, but it's not in the same stratosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Down with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

And now on BBC1: Jurassic Park. The Director's Cut. With extra dinosaurs.
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    Down with that sort of thing.
    God, Ted. D'you remember that feller who was so good at fashion they had to shoot him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Fawlty Towers is incredibly over-rated.

I feel better now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

"Dougal, Purcell is the most boring priest in the world. He was on a mission in Nigeria a few years ago when the parishioners got so sick and tired of him that they went off on a boat down the nearest river. It sank after a mile and a half and they were eaten by alligators."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Just remembered another good one. Where Dougal causes a visiting priest to completely abandon his faith and the guy runs off with a bunch of dope smoking hippies.

Tentacles of Doom - probably my favourite ep.

But all great..

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

K-9 wrote: »
    Brendan Grace was brilliant in that, always thought he was over rated, but brilliant in that.

Father Todd Unctious:

The best part was his confession, great scit of American detective shows. The part of him robbing the other priest, who he met in a smokey bar, and robbing the priest clothes.

Ted: "But you are a priest, why did you rob his clothes?"

Unctious: "Ah, it just felt right".

Played by Gerrard McSorley, damn good actor.

Sorry to drag up old thread here but I was just looking to know if anyone has a link or could post the dialogue of mcsorley explaining why he did it e.g. when he was in the bar. Can't find it anywhere online

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

4OD have all the episodes up on their website which you can watch from Ireland

Father Ted: Come on, Dougal, switch the television off. Chewing gum for the eyes!

Father Dougal: Oh no thanks Ted, I've got these crisps, here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dougal: Look Ted here's what I do, I get a Cheese and onion one and a Salt and Vinegar one and I eat them in the same go.

Advertisement