Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father Ted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's just a good comedy, and good comedies don't become dated.
    There are alot of jokes in Ted that can be universally understood by anybody from anywhere.
    It's not all an Irish social commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Giselle wrote: »
    I think Roddy Doyle novels reached their peak readership in the late 90's ;)

I don't think Ted is timeless, I think the avid fans here don't realise how dated it looks to people only a bit younger.

Ouch! Making me feel my age a bit :(

That said, Fawlty Towers was before my time and I didn't think it lived up to the hype.

It's like watching a classic football match, then watching it in full a few years later and realising it wasn't as good as you remembered it.

That said, I still love Father Ted as much as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It's funny because when it was first out, it actually was critically slated. It's humour initially is very purile, low Common denominator. But the more episodes you watched, the more you 'got' the humour and then going back to the episodes you hated at first, you now find hilarious. There was great subtlety behind the more obvious gags making every episode watchable 100 times over.

The best comedy show of all time bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I think Father Ted was hugely important for the time it came along. It appeared when a sea change was beginning in Ireland anyway and it only contributed to that. However, I don't think it loses its appeal as time goes by. Like anything, it'll get old if you keep watching it and quoting it all the time, but I've gone for months without seeing and episode and then decide to put one on and it's hilarious all over again. I've watched it with my nephew (who's only 15) and he finds it hilarious. I've showed it to non-Irish people who've never even seen or heard of it, and they've gotten a laugh out of it. It's just a good comedy, and good comedies don't become dated.

Is the same way I still say "You plonker Rodney" when giving out to someone - Fools and Horses was big when I was younger and because it's still being shown constantly, I use that phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

odd though that it's an English programme though isn't it! I think that most English people never really got it... I think we should demand it back from them, just like the 6 counties...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

^Don't go there, just don't!

The fun land episode was on the other night:

Father Ted Crilly: So... let me get this straight. You were up on an old man, riding him around and whipping him. For an hour.
    Father Dougal McGuire: Yes.
    Father Ted Crilly: You realise that image will stay with me for the rest of my life?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

"A child has been lost in the tunnel of goats"

Fortune Teller: please cross silver on by palm
    Ted: Eh I don't actually carry silver...
    Teller: Just give me a pound!!!

It's just the way she said it that made the line great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

so many memorable lines, you'd swear there were hundreds of episodes...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"I feel like Jeff Bridges in that movie Fearless"
    "I never saw it"
    "Not many people have Dougal it was probably a bad reference"

one of my favourite lines in a comedy series ever, brilliant stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I.. LOVE... YOU!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any fans of the xmas special?

''So you've changed from your initial predicton. Rudd Guilltt sitting on a shed wasn't it?''

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

It's Irelands biggest lingerie section I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

corktina wrote: »
    odd though that it's an English programme though isn't it! I think that most English people never really got it...

They did. It was and still is very popular here in the UK. It was voted Channel 4's best comedy series ever by viewers and won four BAFTAs. A big DVD box set of every episodes was released last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

RossyG wrote: »
    They did. It was and still is very popular here in the UK. It was voted Channel 4's best comedy series ever by viewers and won four BAFTAs. A big DVD box set of every episodes was released last month.

What's the difference between this box, and the one, I got in 2006?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

The new one has commentaries on all episodes and a few documentaries.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ITS ON! Father Ted Christmas Special is on More4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

corktina wrote: »
    odd though that it's an English programme though isn't it! I think that most English people never really got it... I think we should demand it back from them, just like the 6 counties...

Address me by my proper title you little bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Christmas Special has to be my favourite.

Christmas Special has to be my favourite.

"Used to wet the bed at St Colms......BIG HAIRY ASS!"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Fr. Andy Riley,
    Fr. Desmond Coyle,
    Fr. George Byrne,
    Fr. David Nicholson,
    Fr. Declan Lynch,
    Fr. Ken Sweeney,
    Fr. Neil Hannon,
    Fr. Keith Cullen,
    Fr. Ciaran Donnelly,
    Fr. Mick McEvoy,
    Fr. Jack White,
    Fr. Henry Bigbigging,
    Fr. Hank Tree,
    Fr. Hiroshima Twinkie
    Fr. Stig Bubblecard,
    Fr. Johnny Hellzapoppin’ ,
    Fr. Luke Duke,
    Fr. Billy Ferry,
    Fr. Chewy Louie,
    Fr. John Hoop,
    Fr. Hairycake Linehan,
    Fr. Rebulah Conundrum,
    Fr. Peewee Stairmaster,
    Fr. Jemima Racktool,
    Fr. Jerry Twig,
    Fr. Spodo Komodo,
    Fr. Cannabranna Lammer.
    Fr. Todd Unctious.."

"YES!!!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

It's Mrs Doyles Best episode; "Maybe I like the misery" :D

Also, no matter how many times I have seen it, I always laugh at Mrs Doyle lame "tea-riffic joke" - and doughals laughing!

Lars1916 wrote: »
    What's the difference between this box, and the one, I got in 2006?
    The price! (Probably cheaper now)

RossyG wrote: »
    The new one has commentaries on all episodes and a few documentaries.
    The set I got four years ago has the same.

Just proves the series is becoming "evergreen" like Fawlty Towers and other classic TV comedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    It's Mrs Doyles Best episode; "Maybe I like the misery" :D

Also, no matter how many times I have seen it, I always laugh at Mrs Doyle lame "tea-riffic joke" - and doughals laughing!

And then "hahahaha...bloody hell Dougal" :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

But what I cant understand is if you were already a Priest, why did you switch clothes?

It was kind of going that way Father.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Dougal- Did you tell me once Jack had a trial with Liverpool?

Ted- No, He was ON trial IN Liverpool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Ive been slowly making my way through it again on Netflix and a few things Ive noticed:

Its arguably the most quotable show ever, after the Simpsons.

There are 3-4 dodgy to not very good at all episodes in there that people seem to forget about, without these it could have challenged Fawlty Towers to the throne as "Greatest British Sit-Com Of All Time (yes, it *is* a British show, not an Irish one ;))

Having said that, there are - of course - many moments of sublime writing and delivery. Speed 3 is probably its finest hour imho.

And finally; how the hell did one half of the writing team also write the absolute shíte that is The IT Crowd? I wonder if Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews had a big falling out as its unusual for a mega successful writing partnership to end after just one show.

"Ride me sideways was another one!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Randomly though of the picnic scene today, Hit em Frank!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Ive been slowly making my way through it again on Netflix and a few things Ive noticed:

There are 3-4 dodgy to not very good at all episodes in there that people seem to forget about, without these it could have challenged Fawlty Towers to the throne as "Greatest British Sit-Com Of All Time (yes, it *is* a British show, not an Irish one ;))

Having said that, there are - of course - many moments of sublime writing and delivery. Speed 3 is probably its finest hour imho.

And finally; how the hell did one half of the writing team also write the absolute shíte that is The IT Crowd? I wonder if Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews had a big falling out as its unusual for a mega successful writing partnership to end after just one show.

As far as I'm concerned, Father Ted is an Irish show and The IT Crowd is also great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

IvaBigWun wrote: »

A lot of people love the IT Crowd. Wouldn't exactly call it sh*te though. Each to their own I guess.

Advertisement