Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father Ted

Options

Comments

There was the "sight gag", where a famous actor (I think) who's face appeared in almost every episode, usually on a pillow cover in the bedroom or the sofa.

Could never remember who it was or why, but he's always seen at least once.
    Found him on this video, his face is on a cushion in the background! (at 6m54s)

Awesome-O wrote: »
    Jesus??? The throw on the sofa, pictures on the walls...

Not Jesus, it's a Hollywood actor I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

AAgggh it's all blurry on my screen so can't make him out, I really want to know now who it is, I never noticed this before. This will be my task for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

looks like captain Birdseye.
    My fave episode is the one with Father Damo. The faces Dougal pulls trying to be cool will be funny forever. and Ted to him "Dougal, why are you walking like a crab?" When he got his ear pierced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Awesome-O wrote: »
    Chewing gum for the eyes
    ehh no thanks Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hoff1

Who is that? John Wayne??? Dont see how it is a gag though ...maybe they were on a tight budget and just used the same furniture, accessories etc in all the rooms in craggy island parochial house?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

"of course most of these girls are in their 20s by now" ;)

I love getting an opportunity to use/abuse this line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bjer

Pope John Paul 11

Ah it's yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

FatherLen wrote: »
    he has said a lot more than that. when he goes to a scary movie with his girlfriend, she tries to take some of his popcorn and he says "no!, it's mine".

just off the top of my head, i am nearly positive he says more.

EDIT: tedddyyyy

There was also 'just having some lunch' when he was on the park bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hoff1

its "just popped out for lunch" ..it really irritates me when ppl cant get the quotes right!

Youtube has just started classifying Fr Ted videos as Red L+
    L+: Explicit language : RED | L+

Content rated L+ may contain persistent use of expletives and profanity. It may also include coarse and vulgar dialogue that is sexually explicit.

That's even funnier than the videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

e_e wrote: »

The end of that scene with Jack giving them the finger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Lets call him sampras ted ...cause you know that whole rabbit - tennis connection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

fcek off frosty...il be in in a minute!!fr damo..classic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Well Ted I'm very cynical, as you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was very controversial at the time of its release though.

god, amazing to think some people weren't even alive when Father Ted came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

what a show!!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Some brilliant moments from a great series!!

"Actually Ted, you've done this to me before. So I've took the liberty to record the conversation. *plays tape*... I stand corrected"

"Gerry Fieeeellllllddddss"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bohemian1890

''I'm sorry I was lookin for Mrs. Doyle'' ''It is Mrs. Doyle?'' ''What? I thought you were Marilyn Monroe!''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEipG31iAC4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Didn't Jack have trials with Liverpool, Ted?

No, Dougal. He was ON trial IN Liverpool.

Funniest thing I've ever heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Very funny but its actually one of the jokes that gets old imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I'm not sure if it's one of those jokes that gets old or if it was just not that funny to begin with. It was just a regular joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm not sure if it's one of those jokes that gets old or if it was just not that funny to begin with. It was just a regular joke.

Pretty standard joke but the characters make it. I love the Fr. Tod Omptious one, well acted and a class skit on film noir stuff. Never really like Brendan Grace either but he's brilliant as Fr. Stack.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

what a show!!

It's like Ireland today really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

"Good morning Ted, ya big gob****e"

"Dougal! Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle novels again?"

"I have ted ya big bollocks..."

Timeless.......at least until people stop reading Roddy Doyle novels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

"Good morning Ted, ya big gob****e"

"Dougal! Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle novels again?"

"I have ted ya big bollocks..."

Timeless.......at least until people stop reading Roddy Doyle novels

I think Roddy Doyle novels reached their peak readership in the late 90's ;)

I don't think Ted is timeless, I think the avid fans here don't realise how dated it looks to people only a bit younger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Giselle wrote: »
    I think Roddy Doyle novels reached their peak readership in the late 90's ;)

I don't think Ted is timeless, I think the avid fans here don't realise how dated it looks to people only a bit younger.

I think Father Ted was hugely important for the time it came along. It appeared when a sea change was beginning in Ireland anyway and it only contributed to that. However, I don't think it loses its appeal as time goes by. Like anything, it'll get old if you keep watching it and quoting it all the time, but I've gone for months without seeing and episode and then decide to put one on and it's hilarious all over again. I've watched it with my nephew (who's only 15) and he finds it hilarious. I've showed it to non-Irish people who've never even seen or heard of it, and they've gotten a laugh out of it. It's just a good comedy, and good comedies don't become dated.

Advertisement