Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father Ted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Shave a bullock!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Ted: You know the phrase 'to take care of something'? Well, I realise now that you meant that in a sort of Al Pacino way. Whereas I was thinking more along the lines of Julie Andrews.

Ted: Hello, is that the Yin dynasty? Family, sorry, the Yin family.

Mrs Doyle: Are you looking forward to your lunch tomorrow, Father?
    Ted: Hmmm? I suppose so.
    Mrs Doyle: You do like pheasant, don't you Father?
    Ted: Pheasant? I love pheasant.
    Mrs Doyle: Well there's a little clue. The thing you'll be eating likes pheasant as well.

Ted: Dougal, how did you get into the church in the first place? Was it like, collect 12 crisp packets and become a priest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

"Just give me a few more days, please!

FOR GOD'S SAKE, I'm a priest!!!

Hello? Hello?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Dunny! wrote: »
    Bishop Brennan: Crilly, it's me, Bishop Brennan.
    Father Ted: Oh feck! [realises his mistake]
    Bishop Brennan: WHAT!?
    Father Ted: [putting on a bad French accent] 'Oo is dis? Zere is no Crilly 'ere! [hangs up]

Then when he rings back "Oh Bishop Brennan, you must have got the wrong number there the first time"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i've often wondered about this scene, is father williams suppose to be an IRA priest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I wonder will they ever come up with a fresh series of this program. :p

I can remember when it was actually banned on RTE.

I wonder will they ever come up with a fresh series of this program. :p

That night be rather difficult, unless they do a "Dallas" on it and find someone to play his son! (just think of the storyline) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

ColHol wrote: »
    Then when he rings back "Oh Bishop Brennan, you must have got the wrong number there the first time"

They then have a conversation about something and at the end of it Brennan says:

"Oh and Crilly?"

"Yes?"

"If you ever try to BULL-SHÍT me like that again, I'll rip off your arms."

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

philstar wrote: »
    i've often wondered about this scene, is father williams suppose to be an IRA priest?

Think so, there was a couple of cases in the 80's, priests mixed up in gun running, that type of thing! :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

whatsamsn wrote: »
    It was a great show and still remains a great show :)

But it does look dated. Its the little things. Like an old telecom eireann phonebox being a great example.

What a stupid comment....thats because its 14 yrs old, what do you expect?? Maybe they should digitally remaster it to bring it up to date (and ruin it at the same time)

Do you think the same thing when you watch re-runs of Only Fools and Horses or Fawlty Towers???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Really? You sure about that?

AFAIK RTÉ were offered the scripts but turned them down as being too risky to produce, can you just imagine the Church's reaction to it.

Having it produced by a UK company completely defused the issue. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

AFAIK RTÉ were offered the scripts but turned them down as being too risky to produce, can you just imagine the Church's reaction to it.

Urban myth, never happened. It was only ever offered to Hat-trick Productions and Channel 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

That is a myth (though would likely have been true if it happened)

Graham Linehan has said that they never offered it to RTE, both boys were working in the UK at the time, probably a wise decision as it wouldn't have been the same show at all imo

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It was funny when it came out, I think I was 15 or so. Am I the only person who thinks it's terribly dated comedy nowadays? Can be said for most sitcoms from the past imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It was funny when it came out, I think I was 15 or so. Am I the only person who thinks it's terribly dated comedy nowadays? Can be said for most sitcoms from the past imo.

Quite the opposite in my opinion, i've found that I can go back to watch it again and again and love it each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Thought it was pretty good but doesn't stand up well to repeated viewings IMO.

I certainly don't think it was comic genius or anything though.

It wasn't that original - took a lot of cues from the likes of The Young Ones & Blackadder.

Loved the caravan one with Graham Norton. And The Golden Cleric one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Blackadder an Fawlty Towers would still make me laugh, I found Father Ted very juvenille boring jokes. I think we'd have long forgotten about it like the rest of the world if it weren't set in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Some fantastic moments in it but even the writers will admit it was over rated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

A bit of both really. The first couple of viewings I thought it was absolutely brilliant although I do see your point. It is a masterpiece although I wish people would stop forever flogging as it means it will lose its initial brilliance. A part of me wishes Father Ted could be buried for 20 years and no one is allowed to watch it then when it's finally dug up people can once again appreciate how brilliant it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The one with Fr Stack was on last night.

My favorites
    "Bye girls, pail of w*nkers...."

"Little boys running around in shorts, that's what you like isn't it. And I bet you like that too"

Stack was great. He's the type of guy who says what everyone wants to say, but dosen't. Only he likes jungle music.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bridget84

The bunny episode with Bishop Brennan. The part in particular where Ted and Dougal are trying to get the bunnies out of Jacks room and Ted says to Dougal "I won't be happy until the only one left is the one in your head operating the controls" Priceless!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think we'd have long forgotten about it like the rest of the world if it weren't set in Ireland.

The rest of the world hasn't forgotten about it though. Channel 4 still rerun it.

They wouldn't do that if it didn't get some decent ratings.

So you're wrong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I've always wished I could have never seen Father Ted until say the last couple of years, just so I'd appreciate it more. I can't remember the first time I saw it, so all of my memories of it are me finding it hilarious, but at the same time I know I'd have "liked it best the first time" (to borrow a lovely Ted quote from when Dougal keeps boiling the kettle to keep entertained during their holiday.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

''Who'd have thought being struck by lightning could land you in hospital?''

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Ah now, can't beat a bit of kicking bishop Brennan up the arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

*Playing snakes and ladders*

Ted: So, this is a lot more fun than killing yourself isn't it.
    Fr Kevin: I suppose so.
    Ted: Thats me and Dougle's job now, we're the smile brigade, NOT the fire brigade, the SMILE brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

'hell'

the caravan as i called it myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Mrs Doyle: Cake father?

Fr Crilly: No thanks Mrs Doyle.

Mrs Doyle: Are you sure father? There's Cocaine in it :D
    No..No... wait now, raisins sorry father :D

Advertisement