Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiependence Festival 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mick Electric

Great line-up for that price, I'll defintely be going. Saw 2manydjs at Benicassim a few years back and they blew everyone else off the stage. Also in my humble opinion, Delorentos have released the best album I've heard anywhere this year. Plus loads of other cool stuff, be sure to check out King Kong Company

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

Am I right in saying no headliner has been announced for the Sunday night? Does this mean there'll be another announcement?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Overall there’s been a very positive response to the line up but as ever you’re putting the line up out there to be critiqued and no matter who is playing you’re not going to please everyone and it’s never going to be to everyone’s taste. There’s been a few rumours doing the rounds in the past few days and I’m not sure how they got out there but they did. Our launch was pushed and pushed until we could no longer push it and sometimes timings go against you. I think if people look down the bill they’ll see the middle section has been bumped up a level as well which is that next small step we were hoping to take. As with every other year, we’re again trying to provide as much variety as possible for the lowest possible price, and more to be added.

If you're considering going, buy early.

I'll buy my ticket tonight. Best craic of the year at Indie. Are we all right in saying one headliner is yet to be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Curve Music

deisedude wrote: »
    I'll buy my ticket tonight. Best craic of the year at Indie. Are we all right in saying one headliner is yet to be announced?

Watch this space...

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »

Whats the atmosphere like down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Whats the atmosphere like down there?

Went last year for the first time - it was great crack.

It's very laid-back and everyone I came across was there to have a good time.

I've been to other festivals and there's always a few out looking for trouble or being obnoxious but there was none of that at Indiependence!

So generally a good buzz about the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Overall there’s been a very positive response to the line up but as ever you’re putting the line up out there to be critiqued and no matter who is playing you’re not going to please everyone and it’s never going to be to everyone’s taste.

Absolutely, and don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. Best of luck with the weather, on that score. There's acts that I'd not mind seeing, but there's no must-sees (so far!), and the headliners are kinda a strong disincentive for me, especially with no real alt-stage backup. Subject to revision if the Sunday headliner turns out to be someone jaw-dropping. Maybe next year will be a better match... assuming you, me, and the country are all still afloat then.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

I'm so annoyed at myself, I thought the bank holiday weekend was the weekend before and booked a holiday to be flying home Sunday 5th. Had I realised it was actually that weekend I would have flown home the few days earlier! Is it mad to consider getting the bus down on Sunday afternoon after flying near 24 hrs to make Sunday night? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Just applied to play this on Breaking Tunes.
    Who's actually judging/deciding on this?

Fingers crossed we get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Great line-up for that price, I'll defintely be going. Saw 2manydjs at Benicassim a few years back and they blew everyone else off the stage. Also in my humble opinion, Delorentos have released the best album I've heard anywhere this year. Plus loads of other cool stuff, be sure to check out King Kong Company

Yep, King Kong Company and 2manydjs are going to be great. Their epicness will be cancelled out by Bressie though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Look at it this way. Bressie may attract some fine looking ladies to attend!!!

Yep, King Kong Company and 2manydjs are going to be great. Their epicness will be cancelled out by Bressie though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

No more random rumours about the Sunday night headliners, then? :)

eire1 wrote: »
    Just applied to play this on Breaking Tunes.
    Who's actually judging/deciding on this?

Fingers crossed we get it.
    We'll be judging as well as some guest judges. We have around 500 applications so it's gonna need a lot of guest judges.

EDIT: Please don't mention which band you are in on here as it might be construed as some kind of favouritism if you're good enough to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭bazalicous

I'd heard rumours of Kasabian,....

bazalicous wrote: »

They're headlining T In The Park and Reading And Leeds festivals, I'd imagine they're slightly too big to headline Indiependence!

From a guy called Jesus in an Elvis costume eating a dodo sandwich?

Way to big to headline indie.

Wouldnt find a few of the following added:

Frank Turner
    Subways
    We Are Scientists
    Trucker Diablo
    Los Campesinos
    Modestep
    Twin Atlantic

Frank Turner
    Subways
    We Are Scientists
    Trucker Diablo
    Los Campesinos
    Modestep
    Twin Atlantic

Some of those unavailable already. People don't take this into account really. Some of my favourite bands include Foals, the Maccabees, Beach House amongst others. Now I'm not saying we tried for them but...

The likes of Los Campesinos, I'd love to see them, been a big fan since Fight Like Apes toured with them but the problem is you are getting them at €X and you're almost adding another fee on top of them for transport etc so it just doesn't make them a feasible option. We're still just 5 lads all doing day jobs too, and Indiepenðence is still just a small festival in a small town in a small county. Given the choice between us and somewhere in say, Stoke, most bands will choose Stoke because it makes financial sense for them to play there.

Sometimes we get the bands we look for immediately, sometimes we get them eventually and sometimes we wait months for them to accept and we find they can't commit to anything and we have to move on. Its not a lack of imagination, I have a stranger music collection than anyone on here but it just doesn't work out some times.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Some of those unavailable already. People don't take this into account really. Some of my favourite bands include Foals, the Maccabees, Beach House amongst others. Now I'm not saying we tried for them but...

The likes of Los Campesinos, I'd love to see them, been a big fan since Fight Like Apes toured with them but the problem is you are getting them at €X and you're almost adding another fee on top of them for transport etc so it just doesn't make them a feasible option. We're still just 5 lads all doing day jobs too, and Indiepenðence is still just a small festival in a small town in a small county. Given the choice between us and somewhere in say, Stoke, most bands will choose Stoke because it makes financial sense for them to play there.

Sometimes we get the bands we look for immediately, sometimes we get them eventually and sometimes we wait months for them to accept and we find they can't commit to anything and we have to move on. Its not a lack of imagination, I have a stranger music collection than anyone on here but it just doesn't work out some times.

Well said alot of things most people don't think on mentioned in there..

Any chance of moving it to a different weekend, too many friends get married on this fecking weekend!!

Good luck with it though!

• Advertisement

Ah yea i understand thats it not as easy as people think to get bands . Still cant wait for the festival either way or who else gets announced ye basically had me sold on Feeder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Fair points and fair play on managing to organise the festival. However, after having someone like Editors play, the headliners seem disappointing and a step backwards this year. I hope everyone who goes has a mad time of course, the lineup just isn't for me this year. There's a few down the bill who I wouldn't mind seeing, but 2manydj's and Maverick Sabre as the 'bigger' names are disappointing.

But best of luck with it anyway of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BigTruck

Frank Turner
    Subways
    We Are Scientists
    Trucker Diablo
    Los Campesinos
    Modestep
    Twin Atlantic

Thanks to Furious Red for the shout for Trucker Diablo! I help the guys out with back room stuff etc and on this occasion Trucker weren't asked, nor had we so far this year made contact with the organisers, but the band would love a crack at such a prestigious festival! It could be the organisers haven't heard of Trucker or just weren't the type of band they wanted for the festival which is fair enough. And with the guys in the band looking after their own affairs it's hard to get in touch with every festival but the shout out on here is much appreciated!

On a broader note conversly to what was said about bands not being available Trucker are finding while they are being invited to festivals in the UK - Download, Hammerfest, SOS, major European bike festivals, heck Trucker even played The O2 in London in December as part of their December Sessions Festival for bands to watch out for! Being asked to play festivals at home is pretty rare despite contacting  many festivals both North and South, that's just life at the moment

Finally, if you want to check Trucker out they are at An Cruiscin Lan on 12 May

Cheers

Corholio wrote: »
    Fair points and fair play on managing to organise the festival. However, after having someone like Editors play, the headliners seem disappointing and a step backwards this year. I hope everyone who goes has a mad time of course, the lineup just isn't for me this year. There's a few down the bill who I wouldn't mind seeing, but 2manydj's and Maverick Sabre as the 'bigger' names are disappointing.

That's assuming there's not more announcements coming though.

Our goal this year was to strengthen the mid section of the festival which we have done. The response in most quarters to the line up has been superb. Editors were great for us and we'd chased them for years and it's testament to the line up that more is expected, but again the price and capacity limits us in how far we can push our luck. People will look at names on the bill and turn their nose up, and then for other people that's the exact act they're paying to see. We put on a serious line up for the price but we do that because we aren't in it to pickpocket fans. We are in it solely to keep it building slightly year on year. we all have different musical taste, and if each one of us was curating it individually you would see 5 very different festivals with 5 very different line ups.

For Trucker, you say it's difficult for your band to get in touch with every festival but that's where we depend on finding out about new bands. As I said, we're 5 guys with day jobs and 3 new babies in the group too. If you find it tough to contact 50 festivals, we find it just as tough to get the time to contact bands, especially as only 3 of us do bookings.

That's why I'm online at 9am on a Sunday!!

Corholio wrote: »

That's assuming there's not more announcements coming though.

Our goal this year was to strengthen the mid section of the festival which we have done. The response in most quarters to the line up has been superb. Editors were great for us and we'd chased them for years and it's testament to the line up that more is expected, but again the price and capacity limits us in how far we can push our luck. People will look at names on the bill and turn their nose up, and then for other people that's the exact act they're paying to see. We put on a serious line up for the price but we do that because we aren't in it to pickpocket fans. We are in it solely to keep it building slightly year on year. we all have different musical taste, and if each one of us was curating it individually you would see 5 very different festivals with 5 very different line ups.

For Trucker, you say it's difficult for your band to get in touch with every festival but that's where we depend on finding out about new bands. As I said, we're 5 guys with day jobs and 3 new babies in the group too. If you find it tough to contact 50 festivals, we find it just as tough to get the time to contact bands, especially as only 3 of us do bookings.

That's why I'm online at 9am on a Sunday!!

Absolutely agree with you, it is a 2 way street and life gets in the way too. Best of luck to everyone involved with it :-)

Another great thing is that Indie have done is they have loads of Irish acts playing which is great to see instead of just loads of imports . Plus im hopefully gonna check out a few bands i dont know which is always a bonus

hey guys have emailed/pm'd you, also went to submit through breaking tunes but it appears we're 10 hours too late? :-(

BigTruck wrote: »
    hey guys have emailed/pm'd you, also went to submit through breaking tunes but it appears we're 10 hours too late? :-(
    Their site was down so think it's been extended. Try them.

Any word on when the last headliner is going to be announced?

• Advertisement

Their site was down so think it's been extended. Try them.

no joy, still saying applications closed :-(

we did email in to the curvemusicmanagement addie yesterday morning though

Advertisement