Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Cold Reload

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

i am tinning food right now, fill the freezer and what ever i can't squeeze in i just leave outside from tuesday night on!!!!!!!!! oh lord have mercy, bring it on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

thomasj wrote: »
    Thanks redsunset

So lets start it off!

Does anyone know of any snow songs that dont relate to christmas? :)

Dean Martin - Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Doh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

The whole idea of caution seems to have left the forum. Remember in mid December the monster storm that was threatening to wipe out half the country at 72hrs?

Just advising against investing in preparations - be smart, i.e. be ready, but don't go spending a few k on a snow plough yet, or a months food supply yet! Spend all you want preparing when even Gerry Murphy is forced to concede that it's going to snow!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

K_1 wrote: »
    Spend all you want preparing when even Gerry Murphy is forced to concede that it's going to snow!

will that be before or after Hell has frozen over :D:D

Seriously, if that's possible any more at the moment, I appreciate all the comments people are making about the charts, but do we HAVE to quote the chart as well in the reply, it's getting very hard to tell what's new data and what's a copy of a copy of a quote of a reply:D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Whooa! Just want to say I did not advise anyone to panic buy or anything crazy of the sort. This is not at all certain to happen as badly as predicted on the models. Last thing I want is some irrate farmer hunting me down with a pitch fork if things don't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

UPGRADE, UPGRADE, UPGRADE !!!!!!!!!!

from beer to whiskey, you get to pee less :D

but on a serious note, if we're getting Siberian weather, does that mean theres someone somewhere getting our weather, I mean are the Icelanders goin pure mental up there right now on boards.ice over the prospect of getting a right hammerin' of drizzzzzle for 10 days on end ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Although this winter didn't come with much frost or snow (so far)
    We had some pretty intense low systems off the North West and now a 1060 high in Russia.
    Not only snow has to make it interesting :) Although it does help. Plus snow makes all areas look the same rich or poor. Snow is a social saviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

I still sticking to my view that Ireland wont see a single flake below 300 metres from this "Siberian blast"..... and even in the mountains the snow will be what you would expect during a typical Irish Winter. Its all speculation and just wait until Tuesday... major downgrade will be on hte cards... the intense cold will fail to reach beyond Eastern France and will give little more than a few sunny cold days and some night time frosts in Ireland. The Atlantic will break through on Tuesday and that will be it. I work in Dublin Airport and I can tell you that we consult official agencies...Met Eireann and other European ones and they still adamant that we do not have to put the snow plan into action as there will be nothign to worry about in the next ten days. Just watch the retractions and gradual downplaying of forecasts by the "experts" on here, like all those in the model discussion room.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I freeze bread, milk, rashers and sausages and all the normal frozen foods. be prepared:D and dont forget the chocolate.

Milk ? How does that fare when you defreeze it ? I must stock up my freezer, I'm in South East but around 190masl, and I got snowed/freezed in a lot during the last events (previous years). Have snow chains and a 4x4 this year so should be ok, but in really extreme conditions might still be tricky enough to get out of my place down to the main road 3/4 miles away.

... Mountainy man ... *** flutters eyelashes... ***

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I still sticking to my view that Ireland wont see a single flake below 300 metres from this "Siberian blast"..... and even in the mountains the snow will be what you would expect during a typical Irish Winter. Its all speculation and just wait until Tuesday... major downgrade will be on hte cards... the intense cold will fail to reach beyond Eastern France and will give little more than a few sunny cold days and some night time frosts in Ireland. The Atlantic will break through on Tuesday and that will be it. I work in Dublin Airport and I can tell you that we consult official agencies...Met Eireann and other European ones and they still adamant that we do not have to put the snow plan into action as there will be nothign to worry about in the next ten days. Just watch the retractions and gradual downplaying of forecasts by the "experts" on here, like all those in the model discussion room.......

well theres an opinion based on unrigorous non-science. The models have changed and are firming up - the atlantic is not coming through. The UK is definitely in the freezer.

The models chop and change so the instructions for Friday ftom the met will be different from tomorrow, and today. Met uk has just issued yellow alerts for tomorrow and Monday in the West & South West, there were none yesterday.

Well done this man.

Far be it from me to argue with someone who, by admission, knows it all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Milk ? How does that fare when you defreeze it ? I must stock up my freezer, I'm in South East but around 190masl, and I got snowed/freezed in a lot during the last events (previous years). Have snow chains and a 4x4 this year so should be ok, but in really extreme conditions might still be tricky enough to get out of my place down to the main road 3/4 miles away.

I may as well be the one to say it...you're screwed! There's only one thing for it, ring the irish air corps and ask to rent one of these babies...http://www.military.ie/uploads/tx_templavoila/6_Heli_Taxi_707pxl_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

You sound very certain?

Yahew wrote: »
    well theres an opinion based on unrigorous non-science. The models have changed and are firming up - the atlantic is not coming through. The UK is definitely in the freezer.

The models chop and change so the instructions for Friday ftom the met will be different from tomorrow, and today. Met uk has just issued yellow alerts for tomorrow and Monday in the West & South West, there were none yesterday.

file.php?40,file=22180,filename=DontFeedTheTroll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

I still sticking to my view...blahdy blahdy blah

Why would the airport kick a snow plan into action now? Theres no snow now. And would they really have said 'we really should tell sean' if they were doing it? And how long would it take to man the ploughs, 10 minutes? Jeeeez!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm just hoping for model consensus by 00z, with this potential major weather event just five to ten days out, we need to have a reliable basis for alerts and warnings. At the moment, I would agree that the range of outcomes is just about the entire spectrum from nothing much to a crippling snowstorm with severe cold.

By the way, this is not so much a case of late delivery as missing shipments, when I made my seasonal long-range forecast I was expecting two or three outbreaks like this from mid-January to about the time scale of this predicted blast, then a milder end to February. Instead we saw one weak cold spell (stronger in the UK) two weeks ago, then back to the Atlantic which seemed wounded but still in control, now this beast looming.

I would have to say, this Siberian-Russian high looks strong enough to have its way with a rather puny Atlantic so I rather expect the GFS solution to be closer to the eventual outcome than the Euro, but the interesting thing is that a blend of the two would actually give more snow to Ireland than either of the models themselves. I will cross-post this in the other thread since I got into a model discussion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    file.php?40,file=22180,filename=DontFeedTheTroll.jpg

Im in too minds if he is actually one or just very naive.

I refuse to be dragged into the hype.... it will all disintegrate on Tuesday, and then everyone will be left wondering yet again where did it all go wrong?? It is dangerous, panic inducing and irresponsible for people to be on here talking about repeats of 1982 and prolonged cold spells ... there are useless journalists who will use stuff they read in here and start writing untrue and far fetched articles in tabloids in the next day or two worrying older people and farmers.

And I no troll.... but I out of here to do better things. Goodbye forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

but pete - he knows all......you can do that and be naive at the same time....

sometimes i miss owenc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I refuse to be dragged into the hype.... it will all disintegrate on Tuesday, and then everyone will be left wondering yet again where did it all go wrong?? It is dangerous, panic inducing and irresponsible for people to be on here talking about repeats of 1982 and prolonged cold spells ... there are useless journalists who will use stuff they read in here and start writing untrue and far fetched articles in tabloids in the next day or two worrying older people and farmers.

People are merely repeating what the operational runs of the weather models show. When they arent showing cold people say that. Thats what this forum is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Sorry but in what capacity do you work in the airport?

Nobody is panic inducing anything. It's simply reality that there is a strong possibility of a significant change to far colder weather in the next few days. That's all. People have common sense at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Totally fine, you would never know, takes quite a while to defrost tho mabey six hours so take it out the night before you need it. I have a 4x4 too but snow deeper than 18 inches will be a problem, so its better not risked unless its an emerency , steep hills are nasty even in 4x4 when covered in compacted snow/ice, I have a 90 degree turn at the bottom of the hill on my road and its difficult to maintain traction and momentum and can be touch and go if I can get up so I don't chance it if it looks really shiny

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The thing is the guidance you guys received last week was prob correct , but in the time since you first posted the information the models have changed so much its been unbelievable .

First time to use my mod hat now

I have no problem what so ever with your views, its the way you portray them, you trying to force what you think upon everyone else and the posting style is slightly antagonistic .

Just tone it down a little ,

Nobody here has said that this is a definite cold spell , even the title says possible .

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    I may as well be the one to say it...you're screwed! There's only one thing for it, ring the irish air corps and ask to rent one of these babies...http://www.military.ie/uploads/tx_templavoila/6_Heli_Taxi_707pxl_01.jpg
    :D I've a little boy who'd love that scenario. Wouldn't mind it either if the run up to it was comfy enough :).

I tried walking down one year with my big walking boots and all, to go to the shop 1.5 km away... had to give up, the road was too icy under the snow, and it was just too scary. I've been thinking since then the best way to get out of my place would be sleighing on bin bags through the fields, or get a lift off the local farmers on a tractor, but seeing as how they crash their cars left right and center into the ditches when we get snow, I'm not sure this would be very safe either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

It is dangerous, panic inducing and irresponsible for people to be on here talking about repeats of 1982 and prolonged cold spells ...

The same could be said for not informing people of potential weather disruptions.
    Fact is the models are pedicting this at less than 80hrs. Which although not guaranteed, it would be ridiculous to wait until the 'Airport' which I assume you mean the DAA, to give the go ahead to warn people at +6hrs.

I know there is zero tolerance here at the moment. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But opinions without logic are just informal fallacies.

Totally fine, you would never know, takes quite a while to defrost tho mabey six hours so take it out the night before you need it. I have a 4x4 too but snow deeper than 18 inches will be a problem, so its better not risked unless its an emerency , steep hills are nasty even in 4x4 when covered in compacted snow/ice, I have a 90 degree turn at the bottom of the hill on my road and its difficult to maintain traction and momentum and can be touch and go if I can get up so I don't chance it if it looks really shiny

Yeah, and even the snow chains one time, I found that the snow was just that bit too deep, and it compacted at the back of the wheel opening, so the car was struggling a bit. Only have the chains for 2 front wheels too. I'm French and back in France they are fantastic on compacted snow after the ploughs have been, but unless a tractor chances it up my road here in Ireland, the snow down my hill is untouched before I chance going down.
    I will absolutely try the milk defrosting thing, sure you wouldn't mind waiting if you knew you had some !

• Advertisement

Folks, would a DAA employee be asking about this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76611004

It was all a big lie!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement