Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Cold Reload

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

190313.jpg
    konman wrote: »
    Sorry but in what capacity do you work in the airport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

People criticise Met Eireann, but they are the true experts, they have to deal with the charts which seem to change a lot at every model run.
    They can't say until definite, I think Evelyn learned that after her -8C forecast based on information beyond 96hrs on the weather model charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Nabber wrote: »
    The same could be said for not informing people of potential weather disruptions.
    Fact is the models are pedicting this at less than 80hrs. Which although not guaranteed, it would be ridiculous to wait until the 'Airport' which I assume you mean the DAA, to give the go ahead to warn people at +6hrs.

I know there is zero tolerance here at the moment. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But opinions without logic are just informal fallacies.

Yes I do think it is worth worrying older folks for no reason, better worried but safe than sorry, and for the folks around where I live, who may not have a quick way out of their homes to go to town and get fuel or supplies, an early warning is better than a last minute one. We do look out for each other in our communities, but if no one local has a warning, then a lot of people may be dangerously unprepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Folks, would a DAA employee be asking about this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76611004

It was all a big lie!

Ha ha ha, nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

mothel wrote: »
    Folks, would a DAA employee be asking about this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76611004

It was all a big lie!

Ha ha ha, nice one!
    Must of been. Because his account is closed now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Milk can be frozen, with care, at least it comes in a plastic bottle or tetra pak these days, it was a problem when it came in glass bottles with a foil cap, if it froze before it got taken in, it blew the foil cap off the bottle, which made for problems storing it.

If it gets as cold as it's starting to threaten, and as several people have pointed out, while it seems to be looking more certain with each run of the models, nothing is cast in stone at this stage, and we've been let down already several times this year, there may not be any need to put things like milk in the freezer, it may well be colder outdoors than in the freezer, which is a little bit scary, it happened once in the UK that I can remember, not for many days, and it caused severe disruption to things, the army ended up being called in to open the major roads with their large equipment and things like that.

Snow chains and a 4 x 4 should work, I have a 4 x 4 that didn't have chains last year, and it went everywhere that I wanted it to, on roads that were on occasions well snow covered, due to the Isle of Man streamer and their heights, the Naul is high enough. Is that one or 2 sets of chains? My 4x4 doesn't have a centre diff, so to avoid the risk of damage, I've 2 sets, if they have to go on in 4WD, then both sets will have to go on.

Strangely enough, I've been trying to sort out the mess in my garage this weekend, and came across my snow chains and foldable shovel, so they've gone into the back of the vehicle while I think of it, rather than getting caught out. Nearly happened to me once in the early 90's, had a Cavalier in those days, we had a phone call at the place I was working at then, in Central Dublin, to warn us that it was snowing in Leixlip. We headed out, it was raining then, by the time I got to the quays, it was snowing, there was 2" by the time i got to Phibsboro, 4" at Finglas, and the N2 was blocked for a while by an artic that had tried to get out of a side road with an empty trailer on, and all he was doing was spinning, and by the time I got to Ashbourne, there was 6" on the deck. That happened in the space of about two and a half hours late one afternoon.

The other thing that may be worth looking at, depending on the type of 4 x 4 you have, is the weight at the back. Mine is a crew cab with a fibreglass add on hard top, so there's some extra weight from that, and it helps considerably to hold the back down, a pickup with no cab on the back tends to be a bit too flighty in snow because there's no weight on the back to hold it down, a couple of bags of salt, or sand, or gravel, whichever is cheapest, is a good way to nail it down a bit more. Depending on the tyres, might also be a help to drop the tyre pressures a little as well.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

:D I've a little boy who'd love that scenario. Wouldn't mind it either if the run up to it was comfy enough :).

I tried walking down one year with my big walking boots and all, to go to the shop 1.5 km away... had to give up, the road was too icy under the snow, and it was just too scary. I've been thinking since then the best way to get out of my place would be sleighing on bin bags through the fields, or get a lift off the local farmers on a tractor, but seeing as how they crash their cars left right and center into the ditches when we get snow, I'm not sure this would be very safe either.

You might need this if the helicopter is out of budget. :D

snowmobile_000.jpg

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

I took the last 3 days off from looking at the forecast models and reading posts in here and have 2 say i got some shock when i sat down this evening to get the latest updates. just spent a wonderfull 4 and a half hours going through the all the threads and posts. I did not intend to spend anywhere near that amount of time and had intended to go to the local for a quick couple of pints but thats out of the question now.
    Thanks to all who have and continue to contribute here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Hey we know theres a chance that its not going to snow but there'll be plenty of ice..

Sh**t goin down!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Irish Steve, thanks for the tips, my chains are only for my very humble Toyota Corolla :o. Haven't got round to getting any for the 4x4, which itself is not really a "real" one, it's only an Xtrail or something in that line (that's Mr Mountains department). The 4x4 will be ok for average cold conditions, if it gets too serious we might be in trouble allright.

@Blizzard7 : good thing Mr Mountains is not looking over my shoulder, talk of giving him ideas ... :p

Konman I agree, and +1 that. I have been lurking here ages, but still wouldn't be able to figure out a chart, and am very grateful for the clever guys (and gals ?) on here trying to enlighten us. It would never occur to me to whinge about someone's forecast if things didn't go as planned, the excitement is great when there's the prospect of a big event, and we're all wise enough to know these are forecasts/predictions, not certainties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I think I've posted this pic before sometime, but I love it and have never seen snow like it before or since this was 13/01/10 on the road at my house , the snow was four feet deep in places, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

rc28 wrote: »
    I think 0z GFS starts coming out at 3:30am and the ECM is about 6am. Don't stay up waiting, if there is a big downgrade it will drive you insane and set you off on a bad note for tomorrow! ;)

ah the waiting for updates brings me back to Dec 2010 :rolleyes:

the fact that i even considered waiting to stay up to 3.30am speaks volumes for how much i want this to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

seems to bit fair bit of rain on the way whatever about sleet or snosleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

It was all a big lie!

Was it though ? I was told* by a DAA employee that due to cutbacks it had been decided to make the airport ground maintainance staff redundant and buy a flock of sheep to keep the grass between the runways under control.

*(This post was total fiction, and any seeming connection to posters, either living or de-registered, is entirely coincidental. No sheep have been harmed in the making of this post)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Milk can be frozen, with care, at least it comes in a plastic bottle or tetra pak these days, it was a problem when it came in glass bottles with a foil cap, if it froze before it got taken in, it blew the foil cap off the bottle, which made for problems storing it.

If it gets as cold as it's starting to threaten, and as several people have pointed out, while it seems to be looking more certain with each run of the models, nothing is cast in stone at this stage, and we've been let down already several times this year, there may not be any need to put things like milk in the freezer, it may well be colder outdoors than in the freezer, which is a little bit scary, it happened once in the UK that I can remember, not for many days, and it caused severe disruption to things, the army ended up being called in to open the major roads with their large equipment and things like that.

Snow chains and a 4 x 4 should work, I have a 4 x 4 that didn't have chains last year, and it went everywhere that I wanted it to, on roads that were on occasions well snow covered, due to the Isle of Man streamer and their heights, the Naul is high enough. Is that one or 2 sets of chains? My 4x4 doesn't have a centre diff, so to avoid the risk of damage, I've 2 sets, if they have to go on in 4WD, then both sets will have to go on.

Strangely enough, I've been trying to sort out the mess in my garage this weekend, and came across my snow chains and foldable shovel, so they've gone into the back of the vehicle while I think of it, rather than getting caught out. Nearly happened to me once in the early 90's, had a Cavalier in those days, we had a phone call at the place I was working at then, in Central Dublin, to warn us that it was snowing in Leixlip. We headed out, it was raining then, by the time I got to the quays, it was snowing, there was 2" by the time i got to Phibsboro, 4" at Finglas, and the N2 was blocked for a while by an artic that had tried to get out of a side road with an empty trailer on, and all he was doing was spinning, and by the time I got to Ashbourne, there was 6" on the deck. That happened in the space of about two and a half hours late one afternoon.

The other thing that may be worth looking at, depending on the type of 4 x 4 you have, is the weight at the back. Mine is a crew cab with a fibreglass add on hard top, so there's some extra weight from that, and it helps considerably to hold the back down, a pickup with no cab on the back tends to be a bit too flighty in snow because there's no weight on the back to hold it down, a couple of bags of salt, or sand, or gravel, whichever is cheapest, is a good way to nail it down a bit more. Depending on the tyres, might also be a help to drop the tyre pressures a little as well.

Jaysus lads, this is seriously scary stuff.

Maybe this is a more Eastern event and not A Donegal one? Sick of snow and ice after 2 winter spells of it, and I love snow. People don't have a clue how much disruption snow and ice can cause.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

K-9 wrote: »

Maybe this is a more Eastern event and not A Donegal one? Sick of snow and ice after 2 winter spells of it, and I love snow. People don't have a clue how much disruption snow and ice can cause.

:eek:
    A true snow fan is never sick of snow:(

If Liverpool were playing second divison football, you'd never say you were sick of the hardship of following them. Following Liverpool and being a snow devotee are for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

K-9 wrote: »

:eek:
    A true snow fan is never sick of snow:(

If Liverpool were playing second divison football, you'd never say you were sick of the hardship of following them. Following Liverpool and being a snow devotee are for life.

You have obviously never lived in a snowy climate. I love snow but when you grow up beside the great lakes in one of the snowiest cities in America and experience all of winters hardships there is a very unique chance you enjoy it after the honeymoon period.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You have obviously never lived in a snowy climate. I love snow but when you grow up beside the great lakes in one of the snowiest cities in America and experience all of winters hardships there is a very unique chance you enjoy it after the honeymoon period.

Well not long term, no, but i spent two years in northern Alberta. I did enjoy the snow there, but it wasn't the same as seeing snow at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Well not long term, no, but i spent two years in northern Alberta. I did enjoy the snow there, but it wasn't the same as seeing snow at home.

Snow is great and all but when you find yourself getting up 2 hours earlier just to clear the drive way and defrost the car it becomes a pain. The novelty of snow quickly wears off. For me anyways. I've actually yet to meet one person that has lived in It and hasn't complained. Kinda like Irish people mentioning the recession. Not directed at you in particular since you have 2 years under your belt. But it irks me a little bit when I read somebody saying they'd never get sick of snow and they would astronomical amounts of snow. If Ireland got that it would be a hell of lot worse than what I grew up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I had nothing but hardship in December 2010 when it got really really cold, snowed in and the milking machine frozen and couldn't get it defrosted, with only a half jug of milk for the next day.
    It was near 11pm at night before I got it going, then there was all the work with one pipe to one cattle shed being frozen underground.
    It was nothing but hardship and then it was depressing - a lot of extra work along with only getting out once to town to shop from the 27th of November to the end of December.

Give me the beautiful green of Ireland, anytime.

I didn't mind it too much before then but I hate being snowed in. I just hope the cold spell is short lived.
    The cold is not the sort of weather Ireland needs when there are people who are struggling to feed themselves, let alone warm their homes.

But then, we have to take what we are given weather wise, it is all weather...and we all have weather that we favour over other types of weather.
    To me snow or ice on the roads is the worse type of weather, as it can be financially very costly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Well Met E. not forecasting anything particularly unusual next week. Colder with 3-6c temps and sherp to severe frost at night and a 'risk' of wintry showers next weekend. That wouldn't be inspiring to many here,but remember that 'wintry shower' scenario may be their opening bet, and they may raise the stakes during the week.

Not optmistic this will be the cold spell some here think it will. We're just fringing the severe cold but never seeing it fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Well Met E. not forecasting anything particularly unusual next week. Colder with 3-6c temps and sherp to severe frost at night and a 'risk' of wintry showers next weekend. That wouldn't be inspiring to many here,but remember that 'wintry shower' scenario may be their opening bet, and they may raise the stakes during the week.

Not optmistic this will be the cold spell some here think it will. We're just fringing the severe cold but never seeing it fully.

It's a big change from yesterdays forecast though which had mild weather for the week. Still a lot of uncertainty as Mt has pointed out in his forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Gerry murphy will be doing the farming forecast as he did the radio forecast this morning.

@min I hear you regarding the hardships associated with farming in a freeze.
    However,you've got more notice than most farmers to prepare for it.
    Milking machine equipment should be drained of all water over night in those conditions.
    Also put a half inch pipe on a t junction off the sheds water supply with a tap on it and let it run a trickle and your cattle won't lose water then.
    Store as much of that water as you can
    It might cost a 100 euro or two in electricity depending on the period but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

hi all this is my first time to post,just wanted to ask does anybody know what snow fog is,they are having some in poland near przemysl,i was on skype last night talking to the in laws they told me they had some and that it was rare

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

ZX7R wrote: »
    hi all this is my first time to post,just wanted to ask does anybody know what snow fog is,they are having some in poland near przemysl,i was on skype last night talking to the in laws they told me they had some and that it was rare

As far as I know snow fog occurs when the fog has so much moisture that some has fall, like rain. If conditions are right then this moisture will fall as snow

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

blackius wrote: »
    Gerry murphy will be doing the farming forecast as he did the radio forecast this morning.

At what time is the farming forecast on Blackius. Interesting to see if they are giving 2 outcomes, a bit like the trial on Coronation Street next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

kakee wrote: »
    At what time is the farming forecast on Blackius. Interesting to see if they are giving 2 outcomes, a bit like the trial on Coronation Street next week.

its on at 1 oclock just after the news i think, cant wait for this or corrie next week now that you mention it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Seriously guys the weather today is downright depressing!! Rain all night so the ground is waterlogged, mist n fog - mountain barely peeping above the cloud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Probably too early to be asking this but if we do get snow, do ye think it will hit the south east? Cork/Waterford

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement