Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Cold Reload

Options
1293031323335»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    Totally agree that winter is finished, some years we get lucky but it's a sad fact that we are so badly positioned that we may have the worst position in the Northern hemisphere for weather. We mostly get the worst of both worlds.... warm winters and cold summers and right now I cant remember the last day I saw a solid blue sky with sunshine, it must be months ago. The past 13 months has put the tin hat on Irish weather for me. Even a few snow showers in a weeks time is not enough to save this abomination of a winter.

Excellent points there Gonzo. Its all down to our position as the most westerly point in Europe. For a start, that lessens our chances of decent snow. However be fair, Ireland does get major dumps of snow - '46, '63, '82, '09, '10 (big time freezer for us). So what is great about living in Ireland is the possibility that it can snow. And we can get heavy snow.

Love a wee bit of snow myself but as some people have already pointed out, it wasn't the worst thing in the world this year to miss the frozen footpaths, burst water pipes, bone chilling nights etc. The only thing that annoys me (and this is my own fault) is the constant chart watching and hoping for cold that is always "next week" and never materialises.

I would rather that Spring bloomed now so we could forget this disappointing winter.

It was so close for Ireland this year as evidenced by the fact that last night in Eastern England, the temperature dropped to -16oC while we basked in night time temps here of +5oC. Thats a 21oC difference which is just amazing considering the proximity of Ireland to England :)

It would appear that High Pressure will remain close to Ireland over the coming week only to then move southwards - this will then reintroduce the mild Atlantic westerlies that have been our saviour (or bane, whichever way you look at it) this winter.

We will then be up to around the 20th February so unless something drastic occurs in the atmosphere, I cannot see any snow for Ireland for the rest of this winter

D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like the bitterly cold conditions will be finally over in the Uk, France, Spain by Tuesday with the mild Atlantic air finally breaking into Europe, no difference in Ireland tho as we have been mild the entire time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hindsight is a great thing, but when you look at the last few summers... the fringes of NW Europe were under a cool showery regieme whilst inland parts of England and the continent basked in glorious summer weather, it was only a matter of time before the pattern repeated for winter which is what happened this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

the weather at the moment realy refelcts the amount of posts here sence yesterday , dull dam and drizzely:(
    The charts must have been bad last night....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Monty Python thread to be honest :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

mike65 wrote: »
    Monty Python thread to be honest :)

Yes, what a great winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no signs of any cold reload infact it's gonna get milder, temperatures in double figures even in London by the middle of the week and lasting into next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Gonzo wrote: »
    no signs of any cold reload infact it's gonna get milder, temperatures in double figures even in London by the middle of the week and lasting into next weekend.

North westerly forecast for tonight LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Northclare wrote: »
    North westerly forecast for tonight LOL
    yeah but look where the air originates...the azores round a high pressure.
    So mild drizzly muck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Right. Thats me done. I guess I'll see ye all back in this forum next November so.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement