Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeing Christmas Out-of-Season 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yulenka

Hi 😉
    Complete newbie here ,
    Anyone know anywhere too get nice Christmas gift wrap, at this time of year?
    Studio 24 have a great selection but it's a catalogue company that won't deliver too Ireland .
    Thanks in advance x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Hi Yulenka, and welcome to Boards. No idea where you can get paper but somebody will be along to help.

Given as it's the first of August this is the time that I start seriously start thinking about Christmas. :D

Hi nice too hear from you,

I expected eBay too have a nice selection , unfortunately the sellers that have nice paper , only post too the uk!

Good too see someone else starts as early as I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Welcome Yulenka :)

Harrods ship to Ireland and their Christmas World is up and running; also next month (if last year is anything to go by) Brown Thomas will be opening it's Christmas Dept and should have nice wrapping stuff.

Great thanks

Will check those out

Have been in this country about 10 months ,
    Great too find a forum dedicated too all of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

yulenka wrote: »
    Great thanks

Will check those out

Have been in this country about 10 months ,
    Great too find a forum dedicated too all of this

Welcome Yulenka!

I'm sure you are going to fit in just fine around here in the coming months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Welcome to CHRISTMAS MAYHEM Yulenka:D

Thanks x
    :-) has anyone here any Christmas traditions they would like too share?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Thanks x
    My wife is from poland so we celebrate st nick coming on the 6th of december and x-mass on 25th :),we will start new traditions this year as it will be our first christmas with the twins cant wait:D:D
    We always go for a walk after midnight mass to look at peoples trees in there windows [this was great juring the snow] then home for some capachinos with a drop of vodca,some cold plated meats and bread and open one christmas presie...we have a mixture of polish and irish traditions this make christmas a very special time for us

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

Thanks x
    Routinely on Christmas day, Stephens day, and New years day I have a fried breakfast lovely cold fresh orange juice, fresh coffee etc., followed by a stroll around the town. I normally make my own Christmas pudding from scratch, but I do this around October or November. Trying to stay away from it is another thing :D I don't buy a full turkey, just two crowns ready to be cooked. But I make up my own stuffing on Christmas eve, mulled wine and eggnog. Which I sip from as I casually prepare them. I do my own roasted potatoes which have to be King Edwards. I put out a plate of flour and roll the potatoe halves in it until they're completely covered and drop them into the tray. They must be cooked in goose fat! :) The flour makes them crispy and reduces the odds of them getting burned. I can't remember where I got that tip from, possibly Jamie Oliver or Nigella.

I've gone off on a tangent there! Mulled wine on Christmas eve while wrapping presents is something I've always done and it's so enjoyable, gets you right in the mood :) I visit my parents in the morning time after the stroll so I can go home and have my dinner with some wine. I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting here, but I'm in an extra Christmassy mood writing this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Christmas pudding. I made pudding last year, changed up the quantity a bit cos the previous time I'd made it it had made a big pudding bowl and a small pudding bowl. So I added in a lil more to make two of the same size pudding bowls. FML it made THREE LARGE PUDDING BOWLS. We had one last Christmas and there are two boozy puddings in the cupboard. Every time you open it to get saink else out you are overcome with alcohol fumes!!!

hdowney wrote: »
    Christmas pudding. I made pudding last year, changed up the quantity a bit cos the previous time I'd made it it had made a big pudding bowl and a small pudding bowl. So I added in a lil more to make two of the same size pudding bowls. FML it made THREE LARGE PUDDING BOWLS. We had one last Christmas and there are two boozy puddings in the cupboard. Every time you open it to get saink else out you are overcome with alcohol fumes!!!
    You say that like it is a bad thing :D We learn as we go along :)

Zoria wrote: »
    You say that like it is a bad thing :D We learn as we go along :)

Well yes the alcohol fumes is nice. The pudding size?!!!! Now I LOVE pudding, but there is me and the mammy (and fyi all my friends HATE pudding) and the flipping thing is enough to feed 8 to 10

hdowney wrote: »
    Well yes the alcohol fumes is nice. The pudding size?!!!! Now I LOVE pudding, but there is me and the mammy (and fyi all my friends HATE pudding) and the flipping thing is enough to feed 8 to 10
    You would have been eating pudding till March at that rate :D What do you use with yours, cream or custard?

You would have been eating pudding till March at that rate :D What do you use with yours, cream or custard?

I would have!!! Cream all the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Been thinking about Christmas loads lately :D

Last year I moved abroad right after Christmas and didn't get to eat all the Christmas food I wanted. Don't think I had a slice of the Christmas cake, and I left lots of lovely cheese too. We always get loads of special cheeses at Christmas!

This year will be great too cause it will be my first time home since! I don't care if I gain 5 stone, I need to make up for lost time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

Nice and Random but today I was watching a show on TV and this guy came on .....

judge-reinhold-03.jpg

Now I Really want to watch The Santa Clause! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love The Santa Clause. :)

Posy wrote: »
    I love The Santa Clause. :)

Ditto

Hearing all of your christmas traditions has really put me in the " Christmassy " mood

Midnight mass on a Christmas eve is probably the main one for me , but haven't done that in years as they stopped having it at midnight

Hot chocolate , and present opening afterwards...

Tescos in dundalk have nice me to you Christmas mugs, with a pair of red socks at the moment,
    Couldn't pass up buying one today,
    Reduced section if any one is interested, there were about 4 left

(Christmas cup/mug, freak)

Have been looking at the winter pictures section

Ireland got hit bad with snow in 2010-2011, I must comment because it must of made for the perfect Christmas

Has anyone any stories they would like too share about that?

Does everyone like a white Christmas or some prefer it to not snow?

Thanks x
    I do my own roasted potatoes which have to be King Edwards. I put out a plate of flour and roll the potatoe halves in it until they're completely covered and drop them into the tray. They must be cooked in goose fat! :) The flour makes them crispy and reduces the odds of them getting burned. I can't remember where I got that tip from,

May I ask why King Edwards?
    I have never heard of them,

• Advertisement

I do my own roasted potatoes which have to be King Edwards. I put out a plate of flour and roll the potatoe halves in it until they're completely covered and drop them into the tray. They must be cooked in goose fat! :) The flour makes them crispy and reduces the odds of them getting burned. I can't remember where I got that tip from,

May I ask why King Edwards?
    I have never heard of them,
    I believe they are one of the best spuds to use for roasting. I watch a lot of cooking shows, and I'm sure both Jamie Oliver and Nigella used them, also Delia Smith prefers them. Here is an article about them in woman and home :)http://www.womanandhome.com/recipes/290694/christmas-recipes-roast-potatoes

Just read that x thanks for including the link,

Must get myself some King Edwards. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

IMAG0022.jpg

Hamley's candy cane Christmas tree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Elf is on Film4!! :-D Christmas movie in August - SCHWEET!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

leahyl wrote: »
    Elf is on Film4!! :-D Christmas movie in August - SCHWEET!

Ha, I was watching that, I'd put on the tv whilst ironing and happened across it (though I do have the DVD), was very happy to watch it :D

I didn't catch it, but one of my all time favourites is National Lampoons Christmas vacation. So funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I had the new Kitten down the end of our garden yesterday so she could freak out on the trees for a while and I saw the dotiest Robin! It was hopping from branch to branch watching herself and I noticed it's breast was taking on it's red feathers. So exciting - hope it hangs about. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Have been looking at the winter pictures section

Ireland got hit bad with snow in 2010-2011, I must comment because it must of made for the perfect Christmas

Has anyone any stories they would like too share about that?

Does everyone like a white Christmas or some prefer it to not snow?

Welcome Yulenka

I am a complete snow nut and was over the moon to get the snow that year. We also got it the year before that. So I had 2 white Christmasses in a row. :) I've waited my whole life for that and it was something special.

The only downside was a lot of things got cancelled, like Christmas meet-ups. I didnt go out that much and was stranded in my brother's house for a few days. Also the pipes froze over so there was no running water!
    But to be honest I don't even remember all the bad stuff. I was with my family and luckily most of us get on so we had a lovely time, making snowmen, playing games, watching films.

I hope we get the snow this Christmas again. I also noticed the second year we got it, people were able to get around that bit more. People bought crampons, snow tyres. The paths were cleared of ice so more people could get around town (the year before they didnt clear the ice and there was a lot of falls and broken bones).
    Also there was less car accidents because people were driving much more carefully, so that was a good thing.

What about yourself? Do you like a white Christmas?

PS Just want to add that the lake and river froze over where I lived and you could even walk on it. It was the winter wonderland of my dreams. I can't believe I experienced snow like it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

leahyl wrote: »
    Would be great to go to a proper Christmas market in Germany/Prague - I think these are the real christmas markets, the birthplace of Christmas markets if you get what I'm saying! I went to one in London last year alright and it was lovely but I'd say the ones in Germany are amazing :)

I'll be on my summer holidays in a few weeks but not going anywhere:( so would love to get away for a Christmas break:)

Yeah, I went to a Christmas market about 10 years ago in Strasbourg and that particular market was almost 500 years old! :eek:
    It's just so beautiful walking around with your mulled wine, looking at all the twinkling lights and everyone is all wrapped up and happy. It's just perfect.

Like you I didnt have a holiday in Summer, so I booked the Christmas market holiday way back in Aug/Sep.

So go on and treat yourself! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

The Royle Family Christmas Special is on Gold right now, watching it :)

Advertisement