Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeing Christmas Out-of-Season 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    How did I not find this thread before :eek:

I'm going to Chicago for thanksgiving, so hoping for snow and trees and lights, like a christmas scene from the tele :o

I was singing "here comes santa claus" the other day :D

Chicago is a fabulous city!! I was only there for a week in the summer of '06 and it was brilliant so I can only imagine what it's like at Christmas!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

hdowney wrote: »
    But the tree, now here is a question. Growin up the mammy always put the tree up on the 14th - which is the day I arrive back :O Or do I put it up before I go, which could be a bit of an enticement - live on a main road?
    I'm biased- I tend to put mine up the first weekend in December. I'd put it up in October if I could!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Took my sister & my other sisters kids out for the day yesterday and what did I find? A pine tree between Glendalough & Sallygap with silver baubles on it!!:eek::eek: Wasn't safe to stop but I'll try to get back to there before The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year to get a pic!!;)

Of course I'll have to persuade the O/H to drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Zoria wrote: »
    What you do there is, gather all the decorations from the attic or wherever you keep them, and leave them in the living room for when you get back. When you come home buy a tree, it will be much fresher and there won't be needles every where! :)
    Posy wrote: »
    I'm biased- I tend to put mine up the first weekend in December. I'd put it up in October if I could!! :o

We don't often have a real tree. It is usually a fake one here. The mammy said not to put it up before we go, she said a what is the point of having a tree up when no one can see it and b that it will kinda advertise there is no one there

We don't often have a real tree. It is usually a fake one here. The mammy said not to put it up before we go, she said a what is the point of having a tree up when no one can see it and b that it will kinda advertise there is no one there

Plug Timers, H, Plug Timers. I use them for my outdoor lights and one of my indoor trees and they work a treat. PLUS they will give the illusion that someone is home. They're cheap as chips too. :D

• Advertisement

washiskin wrote: »
    Plug Timers, H, Plug Timers. I use them for my outdoor lights and one of my indoor trees and they work a treat. PLUS they will give the illusion that someone is home. They're cheap as chips too. :D

I do like that idea but I'd be afeard that the mammy'd have a conniption about the lights be coming on when we are out - fraid the place would go up in smoke!!! I think I am gonna go with making sure everything is down out the attic and laid ready then I can put the tree up on the 15th - will get home far to late on the 14th to make a stab at it

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

washiskin wrote: »
    Oh I like this idea. I didn't make much of an effort with outside the house last Christmas, so this year I'm going to go all out. Will pick some of these up :)

Oh I like this idea. I didn't make much of an effort with outside the house last Christmas, so this year I'm going to go all out. Will pick some of these up :)

I canni afford to do up the outside of my house tbh, them things costs the moneys. Also I don't think I'd be able to put them up meself.

However I am looking forward to shopping for decorationy things in Paris. Like for the tree. Only problem is I already have enough to decorate 3 LARGE trees so it'l be a case of which dex get relagated this year to make room for the newbs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I canni afford to do up the outside of my house tbh, them things costs the moneys. Also I don't think I'd be able to put them up meself.

However I am looking forward to shopping for decorationy things in Paris. Like for the tree. Only problem is I already have enough to decorate 3 LARGE trees so it'l be a case of which dex get relagated this year to make room for the newbs :(
    I would not worrie about having to much decorations, my wifes mother has a christmas tree in every room at christmass time :)

ZX7R wrote: »
    I would not worrie about having to much decorations, my wifes mother has a christmas tree in every room at christmass time :)

If I only had the room to have a tree in every room I would LOVE that. I spend at least a day before putting up my tree re-arranging the sitting room furniture so I can fit the tree in :(

• Advertisement

If I only had the room to have a tree in every room I would LOVE that. I spend at least a day before putting up my tree re-arranging the sitting room furniture so I can fit the tree in :(
    Just throw the furniture away. Duh. :rolleyes:

:pac:

You don't have to do up the whole outside of the house! If I'm not up to speed with all things christmas, I at least put up some little icicle lights over the door etc. Kitchen chair is all you need :cool:
    Don't forget you'd be paying for that stuff in your luggage on the way back! I think you should sort out that stuff before you go, so yourself and your mother can kick back and enjoy christmas without the last minute dash to the shops for this stuff :)

You don't have to do up the whole outside of the house! If I'm not up to speed with all things christmas, I at least put up some little icicle lights over the door etc. Kitchen chair is all you need :cool:

Don't forget you'd be paying for that stuff in your luggage on the way back! I think you should sort out that stuff before you go, so yourself and your mother can kick back and enjoy christmas without the last minute dash to the shops for this stuff :)

Kitchen chair on that doorstep = christmas in hospital!!!! :P

Ah everything is plenty sorted it is more me not being able to stop myself buying more decorations!!!

Kitchen chair on that doorstep = christmas in hospital!!!! :P

Ah everything is plenty sorted it is more me not being able to stop myself buying more decorations!!!
    I do the same myself. I put everything up in the attic, forget what I have up there, and end up re-buying loads of stuff. Just double check what you have before you go away, put up everything without plugging them in before you go away if your mother is scared of fires etc. I'm so jealous of you heading to paris! :) Research the area you are staying in and see if there are any Christmas markets around. for as long as I can remember I've always wanted to go to Christmas markets! drink mulled wine and be merry :)

I do the same myself. I put everything up in the attic, forget what I have up there, and end up re-buying loads of stuff. Just double check what you have before you go away, put up everything without plugging them in before you go away if your mother is scared of fires etc. I'm so jealous of you heading to paris! :) Research the area you are staying in and see if there are any Christmas markets around. for as long as I can remember I've always wanted to go to Christmas markets! drink mulled wine and be merry :)

Oh my god yes christmas markets. Although ick mulled wine I hate it!!!

Oh my god yes christmas markets. Although ick mulled wine I hate it!!!
    Thats it, we're going away for Christmas 2013 :D Can you imagine the atomosphere, the smells etc. I'm drooling at the thought! for years my mother and I were browsing the package trips you see in papers and mags, but we never got around to it :(

Thats it, we're going away for Christmas 2013 :D Can you imagine the atomosphere, the smells etc. I'm drooling at the thought! for years my mother and I were browsing the package trips you see in papers and mags, but we never got around to it :(

We have done the same for years me and the mammy, spech the Prague one. I have looked and there are several in Paris, around the Champs Elysee, and various other places :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I went to Hamley's last night and they have candy canes hanging on a wooden sparkly christmas tree :):):) I think they are there since last christmas but I don't care!

I spent an absolute fortune between there and the early learning centre in Dundrum, they both have sales on at the moment. I would say I now have the kids 70% done for Christmas :) plus some of the nieces and nephews too! The girl in the Hamleys said they've had alot of Christmas shoppers in lately - some who are finished :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cannot wait for X factor to start - that's when it starts for me! I love nothing more than wrapping presents on a saturday night while watching it :o

Love2love wrote: »
    I went to Hamley's last night....
    Cannot wait for X factor to start - that's when it starts for me! I love nothing more than wrapping presents on a saturday night while watching it :o

:eek: Is there a Hamleys in Dublin??!

I love X Factor too - I kind of associate it with Christmas now too - it's sort of a countdown cos it starts in Aug/September and finishes just the week before Christmas so the decorations are up by then and all :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

leahyl wrote: »
    :eek: Is there a Hamleys in Dublin??!

Yup it's in Dundrum :) - the town centre, it's outside the main shopping centre
    http://www.dundrum.ie/stores/hamleys/

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    Yup it's in Dundrum :) - the town centre, it's outside the main shopping centre
    http://www.dundrum.ie/stores/hamleys/

:eek::eek::D - must pay a visit! I wish I had kids to buy for!:P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can't believe we're one month past the half way mark!! Can't wait till this forum starts picking up again! But it's actually not even that quiet at the moment!!:D

My thoughts exactly!!! :D

Just back from my summer holiday and to get my mind off the holiday blues I'm putting my energy into looking forward to Christmas!! Thought of this thread on the way to work this morning and said I'd pop in to get that Christmassy feeling and it worked!! ;)

Agree with everyone who associates X-Factor with Christmas, I saw the trailer for X-Factor 2012 and my first thought was yay Christmas is coming haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

The new Argos catalogue is out and there's a page at the back with Christmas trees!! Usually it's 2 pages but this year it says on 1st September the full range is available in store!!
    You can always count on Argos and Penneys to have early Christmas goodies in store! :D

I was in the Aviva last week and there were ads up everywhere for a Bollywood Christmas party
    http://www.avivastadiumevents.com/organise-event-christmas.aspx

(sorry, on mobile boards so don't know the code to make it linkable)

For people wanting to get away to the Christmas markets - I used lastminute.com and last year got to Prague for 3 days bed and breakfast in a lovely small hotel (2 metro stops from centre but had a little Christmas Market down the road) for €170 per person. It was a total bargain. Went there at the start of December and was there for St Nicholas Day.

This year I will be getting out a loan and hoping to head to a snowy place before Christmas if I can. Haven't been on a holiday all year so that will be it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Speaking of going somewhere before Christmas, was there ever a Pre-Christmas meet for this forum, the idea of meeting and swapping Christmas experiences and stories over drinks on a cold winter day sounds like good fun!

I think i mentioned it last year but I've been marking the underside or less visible side of any decs I buy with the place and date I bought them so as I don't do the usual "where did I get this?" quiz when I'm emptying the boxes. :rolleyes:

The new Argos catalogue is out and there's a page at the back with Christmas trees!! Usually it's 2 pages but this year it says on 1st September the full range is available in store!!
    You can always count on Argos and Penneys to have early Christmas goodies in store! :D

I was in the Aviva last week and there were ads up everywhere for a Bollywood Christmas party
    http://www.avivastadiumevents.com/organise-event-christmas.aspx

(sorry, on mobile boards so don't know the code to make it linkable)

For people wanting to get away to the Christmas markets - I used lastminute.com and last year got to Prague for 3 days bed and breakfast in a lovely small hotel (2 metro stops from centre but had a little Christmas Market down the road) for €170 per person. It was a total bargain. Went there at the start of December and was there for St Nicholas Day.

This year I will be getting out a loan and hoping to head to a snowy place before Christmas if I can. Haven't been on a holiday all year so that will be it.

Would be great to go to a proper Christmas market in Germany/Prague - I think these are the real christmas markets, the birthplace of Christmas markets if you get what I'm saying! I went to one in London last year alright and it was lovely but I'd say the ones in Germany are amazing :)

I'll be on my summer holidays in a few weeks but not going anywhere:( so would love to get away for a Christmas break:)

We have done the same for years me and the mammy, spech the Prague one. I have looked and there are several in Paris, around the Champs Elysee, and various other places :D
    Yeah myself and my mother always swore we'd get to one in Germany. Wishful thinking :rolleyes: :)
    I picked one up recently, but never looked. that is me ear marking pages this afternoon :pac:

That was a total steal for that price :eek:
    lockie1983 wrote: »
    Speaking of going somewhere before Christmas, was there ever a Pre-Christmas meet for this forum, the idea of meeting and swapping Christmas experiences and stories over drinks on a cold winter day sounds like good fun!
    I like this idea :)

The local newsagents from me have Christmas cigarette lighters for sale. I may buy one and light my Christmas candles with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Would be great to go to a proper Christmas market in Germany/Prague - I think these are the real christmas markets, the birthplace of Christmas markets if you get what I'm saying! I went to one in London last year alright and it was lovely but I'd say the ones in Germany are amazing :)

I'll be on my summer holidays in a few weeks but not going anywhere:( so would love to get away for a Christmas break:)

You should try Copenhagen, they have an amazing Christmas market. My job takes us all and our partners for a weekend away there just before Christmas every year. Christmas wouldn't be the same without it now :)

• Advertisement

Overflow wrote: »
    You should try Copenhagen, they have an amazing Christmas market. My job takes us all and our partners for a weekend away there just before Christmas every year. Christmas wouldn't be the same without it now :)

How do people pull these jobs! Severe job jealousy here :p

Advertisement