Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Muckit wrote: »
    Oh they are probably in the lairage as we speak but feck it ta hell twas shocking money for such fine cattle.

Suckler lads need not be living in cuckoo land in another few weeks. This sh*t needs to percolate down to the bottom.

Jaysus muckit, I hope you're joking here. I saw top quality 450kg sim x ch bulls sold for €2.11/kg this week. Weanlings are being sold for less than what it costs to produce them. What more do buyers want? Do finishers think that they are entitled to a profit but it's ok for the suckler farmer to sell for a loss?

If things continue the way they are, lads looking to buy quality weanlings will go to the mart in sept/cot and there won't be any there.

Unless the greedy processors and supermarkets are willing to pay a fair price for beef were all screwed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

the suckler farmers will get some shock when they bring their weanlings out for sale this autumn

Maybe, maybe not. Talking to a lad during the week, reckons finished cattle could drop as fast as they have risen 7K in 4 weeks. Factory's are getting too many young cattle steer kill is making up to 50% of kill and cow price is high so they are moving as well. He thinks alot of April and May '12 born cattle are being killed along with February/March.

He think weather will have huge influence from mid September. A dry autumn will force up prices while 2013 cattle may come on stream farmers will be reluctant to kill same if weather is OK
    tanko wrote: »
    Jaysus muckit, I hope you're joking here. I saw top quality 450kg sim x ch bulls sold for €2.25/kg this week. Weanlings are being sold for less than what it costs to produce them. What more do buyers want? Do finishers think that they are entitled to a profit but it's ok for the suckler farmer to sell for a loss?

If things continue the way they are, lads looking to buy quality weanlings will go to the mart in sept/cot and there won't be any there.

Unless the greedy processors and supermarkets are willing to pay a fair price for beef were all screwed anyway.

The issue is that finishers are taking a huge hit since last Christmas. No cattle are leaving a margin. Bank balances are well hit. Lads are selling anything from 2-400 less than last year on average. A load have thrown in the towel and sold cattle over last 2-3 weeks on the strenght of a projected weak store price. Also weak bull trade takes most efficient animal out of play.

However they forget that they will maybe competing with factory's during Oct/nov for forward stores. A 550-580 kg R- bullock killing 2+ fat grade could be making 1150 in the factory's so quality store might not be as cheap as fellas think

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

The short term problem is going to be 2013 cattle are going to be finished earlier to get in spec and this will tail in with 2012 cattle so will keep kill up for a while then bulls will come on stream earlier as 2014 weanlings and autaum 2012 weanlings will all start to finish from after christmas so will be steady stream of cattle till may after that who knows will all depend on how many switch to under 16 month bull beef.

manjou wrote: »
    The short term problem is going to be 2013 cattle are going to be finished earlier to get in spec and this will tail in with 2012 cattle so will keep kill up for a while then bulls will come on stream earlier as 2014 weanlings and autaum 2012 weanlings will all start to finish from after christmas so will be steady stream of cattle till may after that who knows will all depend on how many switch to under 16 month bull beef.

Not too sure if that will be the case kill figures last week, total 32500, 15K were steers,(up 4K on last year) 8K heifers(up 2K) nearly 7K cows ( the same) rest was bulls up a few hundred. Total kill is up over 117K on same period last year. Lots of Bulls were casterated especially fresians so bull kill will not recover to last years figures. Small bull finisher like myself who bought 8-12 months ago for this christmas he is gone out of the market.

Cannot see 2013 cattle filling gap from mid September on. Factory chills were nearly empty start of August so it is unlikly kill will leave huge surplas by mid September. The cattle that traditional fill the gap were overage Friesian these are getting scare on the ground. Its the weather that will decide the autumn price.

Tomorrows rag has an article on winter finishing it is sober reading and loat of lads will be slow filling sheds after reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

price for o&p cows today 3.15

• Advertisement

simx wrote: »

Over age ''P'' bullocks would be going for around the same and the cows more than likly do not need to be QA

Over age ''P'' bullocks would be going for around the same and the cows more than likly do not need to be QA

most of them are there 70 day but ill get away with 3 or 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Roundbale

And what may I ask is wrong with dealing in piebalds ,sold a few last weak and they went to Holland left a lot more than suckling anyway.

Thought ye learned ye're lesson last year with horse meat....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Where is that Simx? What about P's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The store producers have been cushioned all year long by foolish finishers. It's inevitable that the cushion will be pulled at some stage.
    Now before lads go mad at me I have to say I don't condone it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Roundbale wrote: »
    Thought ye learned ye're lesson last year with horse meat....

thought someone said good trade in horses again,someone somewhere sees future in them,or outlet, maybe minister for tanks and tractors might have encouraging news for that industry, did someone post that dealers were stocking up again, for where i wonder,is there market for horse-meat in Europe,some truck driver told me he took container loads of it from where i cant remember to some chill-stores in EU MED country, will ask him if i meet him

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Where is that Simx? What about P's?

kildare chilling, price for o&p cows flat

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

sandydan wrote: »
    thought someone said good trade in horses again,someone somewhere sees future in them,or outlet, maybe minister for tanks and tractors might have encouraging news for that industry, did someone post that dealers were stocking up again, for where i wonder,is there market for horse-meat in Europe,some truck driver told me he took container loads of it from where i cant remember to some chill-stores in EU MED country, will ask him if i meet him
    Hi sandy would you have any few old nags hanging around with a bit of meat on them,books don't bother me ,I can pick them up no bother.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

3.65 steers
    370 heif
    340 for good 4 yr old cow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭epfff

jd06 wrote: »
    3.65 steers
    370 heif
    340 for good 4 yr old cow

Flat or base
    What part of country

Base 360 here

315 for p cow is better than I took for under30 p=3= bullack last week
    Why have grid when kepak invent new penilties for p grades

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

epfff wrote: »
    Flat or base
    What part of country

Base 360 here

315 for p cow is better than I took for under30 p=3= bullack last week
    Why have grid when kepak invent new penilties for p grades

base as far as i know, neighbour got de prices
    ballon m, next weeks prices plus qa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

jd06 wrote: »
    base as far as i know, neighbour got de prices
    ballon m, next weeks prices plus qa

What factory?

adne wrote: »
    What factory?

Ballon meats

Hi sandy would you have any few old nags hanging around with a bit of meat on them,books don't bother me ,I can pick them up no bother.:D:D:D

yeah got enough of the ffffuuu**** next door to me lookiing at the bit o green me cattle are minding:D, and hes buying more of them , it aint you by chance is it:rolleyes:

Cows going next week 3.15 o&ps happy enough with that, was talking to another lad and he crying telling me all can be got is €3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

yeah got enough of the ffffuuu**** next door to me lookiing at the bit o green me cattle are minding:D, and hes buying more of them , it aint you by chance is it:rolleyes:

is he a butcher,

is he a butcher,

well if push came to shove hes flexible but never stuck for bob never worries either:D:D

Cows going next week 3.15 o&ps happy enough with that, was talking to another lad and he crying telling me all can be got is €3
    cripes your upsetting me supper , i took 2.70 for Os:( a while back,

cripes your upsetting me supper , i took 2.70 for Os:( a while back,

I think I'm a little upset on your behalf also, worst price I got this year was 2.90 flat O&P and that was march

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I think I'm a little upset on your behalf also, worst price I got this year was 2.90 flat O&P and that was march

Do you shift many cows at the time?
    You seem to be on the ball with the timing of your selling.
    You don't mind me asking ,is it fr cows you deal in and how long do you keep them for and average purchase price per kg

cute geoge wrote: »
    Do you shift many cows at the time?
    You seem to be on the ball with the timing of your selling.
    You don't mind me asking ,is it fr cows you deal in and how long do you keep them for and average purchase price per kg

Ah not too many, 13 going Monday, 16 on last load, yeah mainly fr cows, don't have 100s of them or anything, keep length varies a lot depending on cow and what stage bought at, backwards, a bit fleshy, age, if fully dry etc. , load going Monday would mostly be bought around May,average price per kg varies a lot depending on cow, not trying to be smart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Whats the steers prices this week lads

adne wrote: »
    Whats the steers prices this week lads

€3.60 for under30 months note grid slaney meats.

My understanding is that quotes are the same as last week with no price pull. This may partly due to protest at supermarkets. However I was talking to a agent last week and he was of the opinion that a lot of fresian type cattle killed over last 3 weeks. These were mostly just entering FS3. The majority of Fresians left now are over 30 months so kill may drop fast.

• Advertisement

My understanding is that quotes are the same as last week with no price pull. This may partly due to protest at supermarkets. However I was talking to a agent last week and he was of the opinion that a lot of fresian type cattle killed over last 3 weeks. These were mostly just entering FS3. The majority of Fresians left now are over 30 months so kill may drop fast.

I was talking to an agent on Saturday. He had 6 farmers on to him to come view stock. He rung the procurement man. He was told abruptly to stay at home. " they don't want ordinary cattle" ordinary being anything that wasn't a cow or her or Angus!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement