Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Can anyone tell us what the finished value of one of these animals is from a sellers point of view? i.e. when a carcass is cut up what is the final sale value of all the cuts added together. If we knew the end figure we could work backword from there. Anyone here with experience of butchering should have an idea.
    I'd say then we would really know how much farmers are being shafted by the retailers and processors.
    You would imagine this kind of analysis is something that the IFA would be doing:cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

As a side issue maybe the IFA should be encouraging people to support their local butcher who probably gives a far better deal to the farmer than you know who

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Roundbale

MfMan wrote: »
    Any harm to ask where did you go?

Through agent, eurofarm were the best he could find. Dropping again this week he said

As a side issue maybe the IFA should be encouraging people to support their local butcher who probably gives a far better deal to the farmer than you know who

Fair enough, but 90% of our beef is exported. We can't all sell to 10% of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

anyone get quotes for cows this week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Can anyone tell us what the finished value of one of these animals is from a sellers point of view? i.e. when a carcass is cut up what is the final sale value of all the cuts added together. If we knew the end figure we could work backword from there. Anyone here with experience of butchering should have an idea.
    I'd say then we would really know how much farmers are being shafted by the retailers and processors.
    You would imagine this kind of analysis is something that the IFA would be doing:cool:.

The last time we priced the meat from a lamb we killed, it worked out at €280 at Tesco prices the week we did it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Roundbale wrote: »
    Through agent, eurofarm were the best he could find. Dropping again this week he said

Euro farm always quote well and cut you in the detail. They love their clipping. This is my personal experience and opinion now so sue me!

Willfarman wrote: »
    Euro farm always quote well and cut you in the detail. They love their clipping. This is my personal experience and opinion now so sue me!

Ya, my hole is still sore. 3 heifers were R with fat of 5 and only got 3.50, you'd swear they were auld cows. This grading is bollocks.

Ya, my hole is still sore. 3 heifers were R with fat of 5 and only got 3.50, you'd swear they were auld cows. This grading is bollocks.

Ah look I feel your pain. It's infuriating. In my experience. You are better to go to a factory that you are happy with grading and stoppages. I meant the clipping literally in euro farm. They charge for clipping clean cattle.

rangler1 wrote: »
    The last time we priced the meat from a lamb we killed, it worked out at €280 at Tesco prices the week we did it

That's unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭visatorro

That's unreal.

That's what you're up against

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

rangler1 wrote: »

the butcher have to live too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

the butcher have to live too.

I won't argue with you there , everyone has to live .
    Would you have an idea of the costs to the butcher on a lamb to get it all sold ? Or what his margin would be roughly

moy83 wrote: »
    I won't argue with you there , everyone has to live .
    Would you have an idea of the costs to the butcher on a lamb to get it all sold ? Or what his margin would be roughly

a lamb coming in at 120.he would roughly make 320 going out over the counter,but then when you take out all costs you might have 100 out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sold a blast of 28-29 month old cattle at the end of last week. Some heavy bullocks up between 830 - 860 kgs. Continentals reared from cows and finished on grass, no concentrates.

Got base of 3.70 for the bullocks, Most Rs and some U grades and no QA bonus for any over 400kg carcass, which was nearly all of them.

Heifers were 3.75 and some got QA with that, others over 400 didn't.

That you get nothing more for a U grade now and no QA over 400kgs is focking ridiculous.

Sound like great cattle is right. Loved to have seen a few pics of them. Especially heifers going over the 400kg carcass @<30mths. They must have been elephants.

a lamb coming in at 120.he would roughly make 320 going out over the counter,but then when you take out all costs you might have 100 out of him.

Christ, you make 100 after probably 3 weeks of buying him where as the farmer has him for months and probably lucky to make 30 quid. Not having a go at you and thanks for your honesty. What would you make on a heifer that kills out at 350 KGS?

Muckit wrote: »
    Sound like great cattle is right. Loved to have seen a few pics of them. Especially heifers going over the 400kg carcass @<30mths. They must have been elephants.

I'll dig some up and fire them into the photos thread. They didn't look massive mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Thats a fair bit better than the boy that reared him would make out of him

Christ, you make 100 after probably 3 weeks of buying him where as the farmer has him for months and probably lucky to make 30 quid. Not having a go at you and thanks for your honesty. What would you make on a heifer that kills out at 350 KGS?

we don't kill them that heavy around the 220 to 240 kg dw ,the cuts of meat are too big after that,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭amacca

moy83 wrote: »
    Thats a fair bit better than the boy that reared him would make out of him

Presumably thats just one butchers shop…(I don't think I begrudge an independent business that supplies a quality product a fair price for it, even a bit of a premium) …. Its monopolies/kartels that are the problem…..imagine what supermarket chains and the processors etc are making out of the animal……supermarkets probably getting it cheaper - dividing it up into even smaller portions and selling it dearer overall….I think this country is one of telcos most profitable markets by far per head of population - the unjustifiably creamed all round them during our bubble as well.

People have been and still are being taken for a ride in this country in so many areas/walks of life.

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »
    Presumably thats just one butchers shop…(I don't think I begrudge an independent business that supplies a quality product a fair price for it) …. Its monopolies/kartels that are the problem…..imagine what supermarket chains and the processors etc are making out of the animal……supermarkets probably getting it cheaper - dividing it up into even smaller portions and selling it dearer overall….I think this country is one of telcos most profitable markets by far per head of population - the unjustifiably creamed all round them during our bubble as well.

People have been and still are being taken for a ride in this country in so many areas/walks of life.
    At least you can see the stock we kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

simx wrote: »
    anyone get quotes for cows this week?

2.70 kg assume its Os, that usual grade opting to keep till after Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Everyone's experience is different. However we find Euro Farm to be pretty fair as long as you don't go over + fat score. To be honest they stand by the prices they quote unlike some other factories in the East and Midlands. Also they treated us fairly this Spring when nobody else wanted to entertain us with our FR bulls. At least they were prepared to discuss prices unlike some of the other 3 factories that we regularly deal with who did not want to know us at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

sandydan wrote: »
    2.70 kg assume its Os, that usual grade opting to keep till after Xmas

Got 3.20 and 3.10 for o's and p's last week

Base price wrote: »
    Everyone's experience is different. However we find Euro Farm to be pretty fair as long as you don't go over + fat score. To be honest they stand by the prices they quote unlike some other factories in the East and Midlands. Also they treated us fairly this Spring when nobody else wanted to entertain us with our FR bulls. At least they were prepared to discuss prices unlike some of the other 3 factories that we regularly deal with who did not want to know us at the time.

Well two places I will NEVER deal with again are euro farm and Dunbia. They would quote 5 or 10 cent better than other places
    Then R grade cattle turn into O+. 5score fats appear.. And if you examine the stoppages you find your clean cattle require clipping at your expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I'll dig some up and fire them into the photos thread. They didn't look massive mind.

Did ya find them photos

I said wrote: »
    Did ya find them photos

Have for 2,of the bullocks and 1,of the heifers, she killed out at 380, nome of the bigger ones. Will put them up tomorrow.

Edit: this place won't let me post pictures.

What's this weeks quote for steers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Have for 2,of the bullocks and 1,of the heifers, she killed out at 380, nome of the bigger ones. Will put them up tomorrow.

Have ya enough posts to be allowed put up photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I think you have to have 50 posts before you can post a picture

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement