Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Willfarman wrote: »
    I was talking to an agent on Saturday. He had 6 farmers on to him to come view stock. He rung the procurement man. He was told abruptly to stay at home. " they don't want ordinary cattle" ordinary being anything that wasn't a cow or her or Angus!

Yes processors are targeting HE and AA type cattle however these are scarse, my agent told me that 4 weeks ago this was pattern as factory's were looking for these wholesale. However over last 3 weeks they were taking not fussy as they got all they wanted within general kill.

Lots of lads were talking about high kill lasting until Mid/Late September not sure if it will as kill over last 3 week is unsustainable. If CMMS figures out earlier in the year are correct we have over killed and kill for rest of year will be 2K/week lower than last year. Maybe the CMMS figures are incorrect

The only thing that might change this is if large amounts of 2013 cattle begin to be killed. However this may not happen unless prices improve. Also it would require a dramatic change in kill practices for lads to start feeding 2013 cattle now to finish in November/December. Those that traditionall did it may comntinue but will a whole lot more start I doubt it.

Other issue is bull kill this is dropping all the time. Not a lot of fresian bulls around IMO. Sums do not add up in the finishing of them. Loads of Quality suckler type bulls are already killed under 16 months or atre squeezed. Supply will dictate what factory take over next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Yes processors are targeting HE and AA type cattle however these are scarse, my agent told me that 4 weeks ago this was pattern as factory's were looking for these wholesale. However over last 3 weeks they were taking not fussy as they got all they wanted within general kill.

Lots of lads were talking about high kill lasting until Mid/Late September not sure if it will as kill over last 3 week is unsustainable. If CMMS figures out earlier in the year are correct we have over killed and kill for rest of year will be 2K/week lower than last year. Maybe the CMMS figures are incorrect

The only thing that might change this is if large amounts of 2013 cattle begin to be killed. However this may not happen unless prices improve. Also it would require a dramatic change in kill practices for lads to start feeding 2013 cattle now to finish in November/December. Those that traditionall did it may comntinue but will a whole lot more start I doubt it.

Other issue is bull kill this is dropping all the time. Not a lot of fresian bulls around IMO. Sums do not add up in the finishing of them. Loads of Quality suckler type bulls are already killed under 16 months or atre squeezed. Supply will dictate what factory take over next few weeks.

The weather is favourable too. Just guys need to aware there is unlikely to be any improvement in price before mid nov. I would still move on cattle that are fit under 30 months that grade ok for the QA. Overage friesians or types that won't grade o= under 30 I would keep the hold out. And give them a shake of meal from mid sept. House in November and feed fairly strong for 8 weeks and aim for just after Christmas.
    You will be selling your summer gain at a better price. Feed should break even with the weight gain and the better grading.

The weather is favourable too. Just guys need to aware there is unlikely to be any improvement in price before mid nov. I would still move on cattle that are fit under 30 months that grade ok for the QA. Overage friesians or types that won't grade o= under 30 I would keep the hold out. And give them a shake of meal from mid sept. House in November and feed fairly strong for 8 weeks and aim for just after Christmas.
    You will be selling your summer gain at a better price. Feed should break even with the weight gain and the better grading.

Very few Friesians now left underage. 3- FS fresians with a bit of feeding over next 60 days will go from 3- to 4- ams increase a point in the grid. However over 60-80 days will put on 30-40 kgs of carcase weight. Cost is about 35-40 euro for ration but a good chance that cattle will be flat priced in another month.

Young lad at mart this morning goodish Friesians 450 kgs struggling to make 50-100 with there weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Very few Friesians now left underage. 3- FS fresians with a bit of feeding over next 60 days will go from 3- to 4- ams increase a point in the grid. However over 60-80 days will put on 30-40 kgs of carcase weight. Cost is about 35-40 euro for ration but a good chance that cattle will be flat priced in another month.

Young lad at mart this morning goodish Friesians 450 kgs struggling to make 50-100 with there weight.

There's nothing more disheartening than bringing fr cattle to a mart if there's any pressure on prices. Even if things are good it's hard to get paid for them. The only hope of ever making anything on them is when they are finished.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

At these prices how can you justify buying friesians? Would they not eat as much as a good continental and take twice as long to kill? What price would you get at killing time and could you ever kill under the magic 30 months?

• Advertisement

AP2014 wrote: »
    At these prices how can you justify buying friesians? Would they not eat as much as a good continental and take twice as long to kill? What price would you get at killing time and could you ever kill under the magic 30 months?

You are right they be bad value better off spending 1000 euro on a charley the same weight. Those friesian were bad value only 2-3 lots made that they went up to 200+ there weight after that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

You are right they be bad value better off spending 1000 euro on a charley the same weight. Those friesian were bad value only 2-3 lots made that they went up to 200+ there weight after that. :rolleyes:

Bought frisan bullocks last week . 400 kgs 620 average. Straight enough and not overdone.

Thought they were ok at the money.

Charlaois and limosins were making stupid money the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭grange mac

What are simmental bulls making lads. Lad offering them to me for 400plus weight. Saw them in mart making stupid money so might seems OK to me. Saw me picking up 2*350 nice animals for 750 and he has 7 more. Wud I be pushing him for 350 plus weight privately? Any thoughts or should I hold tough for for the bulk to come to market.
    Any thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Just asking the question not in the finishing game but interested for what to stock up on next spring in prep for Nov 2014 to sell as stores. I thought whiteheads and angus might be the way to go with the talk of factories wanting cattle with smaller frames?

At the moment over the last 3 years I haven't lost on continentals. Always a great trade in Oct/Nov. Cautious about changing a winning system.

grange mac wrote: »
    What are simmental bulls making lads. Lad offering them to me for 400plus weight. Saw them in mart making stupid money so might seems OK to me. Saw me picking up 2*350 nice animals for 750 and he has 7 more. Wud I be pushing him for 350 plus weight privately? Any thoughts or should I hold tough for for the bulk to come to market.
    Any thoughts?

Nice bulls handy weights are dear around here at min. 2.20a kg avg at the hammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

€3.60 for under30 months note grid slaney meats.

Much of a wait to be killed? Have a small few to go

simx wrote: »
    Much of a wait to be killed? Have a small few to go

Depends on what you have got. Could tell youn2weeks for continentals and a few days for cows her or aa. They run short of 40 last week and were ringing lads who had cattle booked in to see would they have them up in a an hour!? Some one let them down or mistake in the famous book!

Depends on what you have got. Could tell youn2weeks for continentals and a few days for cows her or aa. They run short of 40 last week and were ringing lads who had cattle booked in to see would they have them up in a an hour!? Some one let them down or mistake in the famous book!

Just a few cont. blks and couple of heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

i saw similar price for fr all year so far, i recon you need to go over 640 to attract bids of €400+ kg in fr and must be nice square lads at that, any hol showing and 300+kg more likely even at 640kg. while Ch,lim made €620+kg at 350-450kg

sandydan wrote: »
    i saw similar price for fr all year so far, i recon you need to go over 640 to attract bids of €400+ kg in fr and must be nice square lads at that, any hol showing and 300+kg more likely even at 640kg. while Ch,lim made €620+kg at 350-450kg

All my cattle go on the hook do not sell in mart. If I think they will finish before housing I feed and kill if not I store and kill in June. Do not think any Ch are making 600 with there weight at present at around 400kgs

Nice red lim bullock in carnew Mart on Saturday 440kgs €1130. Which is getting close! Feckin nuts tho. Elderly farmer buyer. Friesians April 13 350 kgs at 570 which was plenty for them too I thought as they should bee 100 kg heavier for their age.

Fellas aren't doing there sums...how can it pay to buy an animal for e1000 & winter them.
    Its too much for a weanling , well my opinion anyway. More money being made buying lighter animal @250-300kg for 700 and sell them next year @500kg forward stores.

That's my plan but saying that I'm buying bulls now & 350kgs as smaller ones not out yet.

Fellas aren't doing there sums...how can it pay to buy an animal for e1000 & winter them.
    Its too much for a weanling , well my opinion anyway. More money being made buying lighter animal @250-300kg for 700 and sell them next year @500kg forward stores.

That's my plan but saying that I'm buying bulls now & 350kgs as smaller ones not out yet.

Are you putting them to grass for a while next year?

Yep...make em into bullocks before there housed in Nov and grass then till next sept.

Yep...make em into bullocks before there housed in Nov and grass then till next sept.

Good solid system. Best of luck hope ya clean up!

• Advertisement

Nice red lim bullock in carnew Mart on Saturday 440kgs €1130. Which is getting close! Feckin nuts tho. Elderly farmer buyer. Friesians April 13 350 kgs at 570 which was plenty for them too I thought as they should bee 100 kg heavier for their age.

Carnew meant to be a great place to sell, good few from enniscorthy area head there, wouldn't say much for Enniscorty mart, would agree that them fr blks would be loads, bought 400kg fr blks earlier on in the time for €620 and I think they are plenty for the time keep too, sorry didn't buy more culls

Good solid system. Best of luck hope ya clean up!

Well at the current roasting I'm getting from factories had to change tack!!
    Don't wanna clean up just stop the present losses!!

simx wrote: »
    Carnew meant to be a great place to sell, good few from enniscorthy area head there, wouldn't say much for Enniscorty mart, would agree that them fr blks would be loads, bought 400kg fr blks earlier on in the time for €620 and I think they are plenty for the time keep too, sorry didn't buy more culls

Yes the culls were the ticket this year if you could pick them up.

Yes the culls were the ticket this year if you could pick them up.

Aye when the growth comes in the spring the store cow price gets dearer, was locked up early on in the time so missed out on a good few ok priced cows, but sure them things do happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

All my cattle go on the hook do not sell in mart. If I think they will finish before housing I feed and kill if not I store and kill in June. Do not think any Ch are making 600 with there weight at present at around 400kgs
    were 2-3 weeks ago in Skibb,much to most farmers surprise , knew 3 fellas who sold them at that €620+ was max(390 kg) but def €590-610+kg, nothing else touched that price on day as far as i can remember.

best square fr bullock, just 1 made €850 at 450 kg , others struggled to break €50+kg . some lads recon a row erupted ringside between 3 buyers pity doesn't happen alltime

were 2-3 weeks ago in Skibb,much to most farmers surprise , knew 3 fellas who sold them at that €620+ was max(390 kg) but def €590-610+kg, nothing else touched that price on day as far as i can remember.

best square fr bullock, just 1 made €850 at 450 kg , others struggled to break €50+kg . some lads recon a row erupted ringside between 3 buyers pity doesn't happen alltime

Who ever bought them Charleys is at a hiding to nothing if he kills them at 385kg(700kgs LW) they wiull come into 1540 @4/KG. A lot of thing would want to go right for him to make that. Off present prices such a bullock at finish would only make 1450 euro. When you add in 50 euro for transport, mart and slaughter fees these lads are at nothing. The Fr at 850 would be as bad a buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

They made it last Friday as well, 4 ch 500kg 1165

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

I had a few AAX in macroom sat 21/22mths 525kgs €930.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

I had a few AAX in macroom sat 21/22mths 525kgs €930.

Were they in near the end of the sale ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭arctic8dave

Were they in near the end of the sale ,

They were yeah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement