Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Seems all staff at a certain meat plant in the Midlands being tested in the morning. One positive and plant will shut down completely. I imagine the same is possibly going to happen at all factories.
    Had 3 for the morning but back until Tuesday morning now. Back 5c since last Tuesday
    Could end up finding it very difficult to get stock killed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Any price for the week? Heard 'rumours' of €3.60 for steers.. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

MfMan wrote: »
    Any price for the week? Heard 'rumours' of €3.60 for steers.. :-(

3.65 quoted and not overly bothered about getting them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Saw a few finished lads being sold in Carnaross today. Thought they were well back from what they’d make in the factory last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Saw a few finished lads being sold in Carnaross today. Thought they were well back from what they’d make in the factory last week.

Some unbelievable colour blks, never see the like of them down here.

• Advertisement

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Some unbelievable colour blks, never see the like of them down here.

Saw a 790kg blk that I figured would have killed a u- and made €1840 @ €3.70 a kg in the factory sell for €1740.
    Maybe they arnt sold Until the seller gives the ok seeing that the seller isn’t there any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭morphy87

3.65 quoted and not overly bothered about getting them either.

What were you been quoted last week? Was talking to an agent Saturday night and he said they were trying to pull them but cattle ain’t over plentiful at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

morphy87 wrote: »
    What were you been quoted last week? Was talking to an agent Saturday night and he said they were trying to pull them but cattle ain’t over plentiful at the moment

Rang agent today. Have one aax going over age. Not in a hurry to take him. Might have room week after next i was told. Wasn't quoted last week as the ones I havebar that one have plenty of room to fill out yet and time on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lexuslad

How long do you have to keep cattle after buying them before you can send them off to the factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

lexuslad wrote: »
    How long do you have to keep cattle after buying them before you can send them off to the factory?

As long as it takes to load a lorry

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Are you sure? Was told the last day by a dealer that I have to keep them 70 days before I can send them off to the factory

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Are you sure? Was told the last day by a dealer that I have to keep them 70 days before I can send them off to the factory

They have to be on a Quality Assured farm or farms for seventy days to get the Bonuses. but you can sell anytime.

morphy87 wrote: »

Got €3.75 last week

wrangler wrote: »
    They have to be on a Quality Assured farm or farms for seventy days to get the Bonuses. but you can sell anytime.

So if they were on a quality assured farm for more than 70 days before mine then I will get the bonuses? Sorry for all the questions first year of farming and trying something different this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

So if they were on a quality assured farm for more than 70 days before mine then I will get the bonuses? Sorry for all the questions first year of farming and trying something different this year.

Yes, if you're quality assured,
    Don't worry about the questions, that's what we're here for.

Copied this from Bord Bia
    ''The residency requirement for cattle to be deemed Quality Assured is that the animal must have spent the last 70 days (unbroken) in the Quality Assured Chain. However, the animal can be moved from one farm to another, provided each farm is Quality Assured, and remain in the Quality Assurance Chain.''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

wrangler wrote: »
    Yes, if you're quality assured,
    Don't worry about the questions, that's what we're here for.

Copied this from Bord Bia
    ''The residency requirement for cattle to be deemed Quality Assured is that the animal must have spent the last 70 days (unbroken) in the Quality Assured Chain. However, the animal can be moved from one farm to another, provided each farm is Quality Assured, and remain in the Quality Assurance Chain.''

I'd find it varies a bit between factories. Our one is 70 days in the previous farm and 30 days in our place providing both places are QA.

And again don't be afraid to ask any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

That bull that left €800 to a dealer was the following day. Could have been €900 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's just one of those, little rules, for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Dunedin

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/finishing-cattle-efficiently-this-winter/

Quote that demand is getting tight and price is creeping up......... whatever about demand, price has gone from €3.80 2 weeks ago to €3.65 next week.

Did he dream up that or just took a guess at price with no research of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭mf240

Why would anyone feed cattle this winter

• Advertisement

mf240 wrote: »
    Why would anyone feed cattle this winter

another BEAM

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭mf240

another BEAM

Fool me once shame on you

Fool me every year.....

mf240 wrote: »
    Fool me once shame on you

Fool me every year.....

Feed 100 cattle win 10,000 euro........well that if the factories get an excuse to screw you and any excuse will do. There was no BEAM the time of the horse meat lads were left high and dry. Beam is not even compensation for market losses. Saw a bit of the rag at the parent in laws house today. There was a page about Beam and the lads reactions to it it was a case of f@@k the suckler farmer store cattle are too dear and they are compensated anyway. There was a mart manager hoping these lads will pass it back in the autumn marts.

However for finisher to make 100/head on cattle store and suckler farmers need to produce at a loss. Now I no saint but I do know that the store man needs every penny he gets.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Keep money from the taxman. Something to do, get out of the house, a sense of identity.

Beam money is irrelevant to the cohort of independently wealthy farmers. The perpetual waffle about sheds not filling or and finishers exiting (only really happens when you put em in a 6 x3 hole) never comes to anything.

Jjameson wrote: »
    Keep money from the taxman. Something to do, get out of the house, a sense of identity.

Beam money is irrelevant to the cohort of independently wealthy farmers. The perpetual waffle about sheds not filling or and finishers exiting (only really happens when you put em in a 6 x3 hole) never comes to anything.

I know a few old lads that would crack up if they didn’t go out in the autumn to buy stores to feed over the winter. To make money on them is only a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's like a science experiment at this stage.
    Finishing cattle in winter 18 was a bad idea.
    Finishing cattle in winter 19 was a very bad idea.
    Finishing cattle in 2020, they are dearer in the mart and the factories are riding roughshod etc so drive on hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Danzy wrote: »
    Finishing cattle in 2020, they are dearer in the mart and the factories are riding roughshod etc so drive on hard.

Add brexit to the mix and it’s definitely a runner

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Yes on all accounts but the fear of not making money is worse than the fear of losing it for many, the only thing worse is someone else making it instead of you. This spring was a good one for those who fed lambs over the winter, the same lambs this back end are probably a tenner or more dearer than there 2019 born counterparts. The most active men I see ringside atm for store lambs fed little or none last winter. The fact that this year's lambs are dearer and therefore there's less chance of a profit is meaningless to most of them. There not going to miss out a second time around and there's always the temptation of a final roll of the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yes on all accounts but the fear of not making money is worse than the fear of losing it for many, the only thing worse is someone else making it instead of you. This spring was a good one for those who fed lambs over the winter, the same lambs this back end are probably a tenner or more dearer than there 2019 born counterparts. The most active men I see ringside atm for store lambs fed little or none last winter. The fact that this year's lambs are dearer and therefore there's less chance of a profit is meaningless to most of them. There not going to miss out a second time around and there's always the temptation of a final roll of the dice.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

True. In the last 30 year was there even 3 half arsed years where money was made ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement