Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon airport

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Belfast was starting to do good and then failed. This stupid country is so backward and unentreprenerial I am so embaressed.

I reckon we could've got 10 million passengers. Especially looking at other airports in gb.
    Don't even know the last time they got a new airline.

And its not the economy either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I reckon we could've got 10 million passengers. Especially looking at other airports in gb.
    Don't even know the last time they got a new airline.

And its not the economy either

That's completely ignoring the actual demand, whilst I said Shannon can aim for 6.1m that would take many years - BFS certainly will not approach 10m quickly. The problem in Belfast is having two airports where one is needed and the problem is most definitely the economy, weekend trips to Europe disappeared at the economic crash as did trips to the UK mainland (albeit slightly it was still noticeable).

Also the fact DUB is so convenient for those in and around the major populist area in NI of Belfast as well as Armagh, Lisburn and Newry, means all t/a trips and even some flights to the UK nevermind Europe are more convenient and cheaper from Dublin than having to connect ex-Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

The 06 turn pad at SNN has had some work to it http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Frame1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Very little I would imagine - while the fifth freedoms are good, Shannon still lacks the major population center to make this useful to any reasonable scale/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭jasT1981

Heard elsewhere an A380 diverted to Shannon and is still there hours later, whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

jasT1981 wrote: »
    Heard elsewhere an A380 diverted to Shannon and is still there hours later, whats going on?

Diversion due to crew being out of hours according to this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90915190&postcount=4671

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭jasT1981

thanks, didn't think to check that thread

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What passenger Numbers do you think shannon could achieve this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Carnacalla wrote: »
    What passenger Numbers do you think shannon could achieve this year.

1.75m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

Thought some of you might find this interesting?

(Sorry can't post link).

BBC Radio 4 - Archive on 4, Atlantic Crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

With Stobart pulling out whats the chances of another airline stepping in. Surely Birmingham will be snapped up. Bristol and Edinborough have a market too. Ryanair will surely step in too at least one of them.

With Stobart pulling out whats the chances of another airline stepping in. Surely Birmingham will be snapped up. Bristol and Edinborough have a market too. Ryanair will surely step in too at least one of them.

You will be lucky to keep the Manchester service with Ryanair. Any chance will be with flybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You will be lucky to keep the Manchester service with Ryanair. Any chance will be with flybe.

Very lucky once they see the low pax numbers that stobart dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wonder are we seeing the beginning of the break up of Aer Lingus and Stobart.
    Under Aer Arann, it would almost be unheard of to have the airline not serve the coast in which it's namesake comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

flazio wrote: »
    Wonder are we seeing the beginning of the break up of Aer Lingus and Stobart.
    Under Aer Arann, it would almost be unheard of to have the airline not serve the coast in which it's namesake comes from.

What kind of crap is that. SNN is loss making, end of. By the way they server Kerry and Donegal which are on the west coast.

Stobart and Aer Lingus are growing strongly. People in the west had the chance to support their routes but didn't.

With SNN it always seems to be somebody elses fault when things go wrong. No daa to blame this time.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What kind of crap is that. SNN is loss making, end of. By the way they server Kerry and Donegal which are on the west coast.

Stobart and Aer Lingus are growing strongly. People in the west had the chance to support their routes but didn't.

With SNN it always seems to be somebody elses fault when things go wrong. No daa to blame this time.

Support the routes? They were a little expensive, weren't they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

With SNN it always seems to be somebody elses fault when things go wrong. .

Nail, Hit, Head! Enough said!

We need to frame this. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

To be fair, Shannon has done very well since it broke the shackles of the DAA. This is a small setback but it's certainly been very positive news coming out of the airport since it got independence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

TPMP wrote: »
    To be fair, Shannon has done very well since it broke the shackles of the DAA.

I'd love a pair of them shackles - was it €100M that DCC had to write off?

BowWow wrote: »
    I'd love a pair of them shackles - was it €100M that DCC had to write off?

The debt was accumulated while under the control of the DAA, its only fair to lose that debt when being separated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

If the debt related to Shannon, it should have stayed with Shannon. To me, its a government grant. Peter was robbed to pay Paul.

Cork's was forced upon the airport, should it be only fair it's debt is quashed to as it was not an accumulated debt? ''No, because..''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Unfortunately people in that region have obviously been spoiled by successive governments and probably would be unwilling to travel more than an hour to an airport like most of the country.

What a load of nonsense.

The site has a swear filter in place for a reason. Cleverly inserting italics to bypass the filter doesn't make you clever.
    No need for that word in this post.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Cork's was forced upon the airport, should it be only fair it's debt is quashed to as it was not an accumulated debt? ''No, because..''

If you are referring to me, I have never disagreed with the quashing of corks debt.

Shannon was re-establisbed under a new government entity. The DAA did not give Shannon €100mil to play with, it instead got rid of its debt.
    It's basically an airport with no money. Wheather it makes money or not is a different story.

Cork should be re-establisbed under a new government entity. It should have no debt, as cork did not make the stupid choices, the DAA did, so the DAA should pay for their own stupid choices.

It's not and to be frank the DAA are also not responsible for Cork's debt. The Gov of 2002 are.

If the debt related to Shannon, it should have stayed with Shannon. To me, its a government grant. Peter was robbed to pay Paul.

So if for example, the company who ownes the Limerick tolls (and let's pretend that they don't have that government guarentee scheme) make a horrible loss, when the tolls and the tunnel go back into public ownership, should the debt be transferred?

To be honest I'm sure the DAA are delighted they have got rid of Shannon and the €100m was cheap to do it.

Anyone seen Shannons accounts ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

To be honest I'm sure the DAA are delighted they have got rid of Shannon and the €100m was cheap to do it.

Anyone seen Shannons accounts ?

here you go 2013 accounts.

Advertisement