Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Some lucky lad carrying out touch and goes/MAPs before he get's his wings! :)

After forking out over 100K I'd hope he's getting his money's worth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Thanks for the replies folks - twas like deja vu every few minutes!

I suppose Shannon accommodates training fairly well as it's not as busy as other airports. Do they block out a few hours of airspace or is the training usually done in between cemmercial flights carrying passengers?

I would say it is just treated as another flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Seen that too, I was wondering.
    I presume they would not close it since Shannon are trying so hard to get traffic again.
    Well they susceeded in more traffic! Berlin for €40 return! Hell ya!

Alot has changed since this started.
    Alot of ignorant people here as well.
    I agree, shannon is not a small regional airport.
    Show me a small regional airport with 7-8 hour flights.
    Show me a small regional airport with a 3200m runway.
    Show me a small regional airport that has contributed so much to air travel today.
    You won't find one, mainly because shannon isn't one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Alot of ignorant people here as well.
    ?

Are there any particular points made that you have an issue with?

• Advertisement

?

Are there any particular points made that you have an issue with?

Sorry that was a bit exaggerated
    Page 11 some posts were just stupid though.

I would like to see the first half of 2014 figures in july for shannon.
    Cork airport is a bit small
    Knock airport is out in the middle of nowhere and is a fair pace from clare and limerick.
    I know several people from cork and surrounding who use shannon for the us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

That's because we don't have T/A flights. Why else would Cork people use SNN, I don't know what your problem is, airports should be complementing one another, this country is too small for airports to be compeating against one another. Unfortunely FR seem to encourage exactly that, some of the flights that have started up at SNN with FR were "transfered" from ORK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Was that return? nice price if you got it.

roundymac wrote: »
    Was that return? nice price if you got it.

Yeah return.
    And you have ryanairs special second bag.
    It is smaller than my 7" laptop bag.
    The second carry-on bag is about the size of a medium-sized handbag.

roundymac wrote: »
    That's because we don't have T/A flights. Why else would Cork people use SNN, I don't know what your problem is, airports should be complementing one another, this country is too small for airports to be compeating against one another. Unfortunely FR seem to encourage exactly that, some of the flights that have started up at SNN with FR were "transfered" from ORK.

We are irish, we are competitave in everything (in general). Dosn't surprise me that we are competing.

I think the shannon flights were transferred in 2008 because the daa wouldn't cut their fees, they ruined shannon.

Anyway, you probably need more airports in ireland, let the polish go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Berlin for €40 return! Hell ya!

Doesn't say much for the long-term sustainability of the route.

christy c wrote: »
    Doesn't say much for the long-term sustainability of the route.

Its actually a sale. It was around 70-100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Its actually a sale. It was around 70-100 euro.

I know but the reason they had to have a sale was because they weren't selling at 70-100. I still hope the routes survive, nice to have some choice

christy c wrote: »
    I know but the reason they had to have a sale was because they weren't selling at 70-100. I still hope the routes survive, nice to have some choice

Hmn suppose.
    I know 4 people leaving for berlin on monday. Returning friday.

There is also a sale on liverpool and wroclaw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Both Shannon threads have been merged into one for ease of use and reference.

Anyone planning to fly through shannon anytime soon?
    Or just have?

Share your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Or just have?

Share your experience.

Yes- it was quick and easy like it always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Or just have?

Share your experience.

Went 3 weeks ago, and as another poster said, fast, painless and an overall good experience. No hastle, close to home and going again Saturday week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Or just have?

Share your experience.

No more parking outside the door, you have to go through the short term car park, but first 15 minutes is free and you don't need to validate your ticket, so no problem dropping off and for arrivals just wait down the road until the arrival rings to say they are through the gates. No hassle at all.

One thing that irks me is the arrival of Aer Lingus uses an airbridge so you have to walk down along, get an escalator up, walk another bit then escalators down.

Seems a bit dumb, why not just have a down escalator into the hall, it turns the 30 second journey into the baggage hall into a few minutes.

Overall its a painless as it always was, about 150 metres or so from car door to plane door.

• Advertisement

Yes- it was quick and easy like it always has been.
    Thats good.

Last year I was departing on a Thompson flight from Shannon To Palma Mallorca. The way the flight works is that the plane flys from Dublin-palma,
    palma-Shannon, Shannon-palma , palma -dublin.
    We were departing from shannon at 15:30.

That morning the pilot for that flight was sick so they had to take another from belfast, so that delayed the dublin flight.(I think that was meant to leave at 08:30). Eventually at 19:30 the plane landed in Shannon, but we were told that we would not be boarding until 20:30.
    20:30 came and went and we were told we would "be boarding at 21:00 at the earliest due to the France air traffic control strike, we may be delayed until 00:00 or the flight may be canceled".
    At that stage we were at the gate and boarded at 21:30.
    We were told we had a slot to leave at 22:15 and we would be taking that.
    Suddenly at 22:00 this woman at the front of the plane freaks out and asks to leave the plane. The cabin crew very apologetically told us that because of regulations we have to take off all the bags and that we have missed our slot. After I watched through the window the bags being taken on and off and using the airports free WiFi on my laptop and the unusually good 3g on my phone, we were told we have a slot for 23:15.
    We took off at 23:15 and I watched the sky get gradually darker and was interrupted by a text message on my turned on phone at 23:20 (oops!)

We landed in Palma at 02:00 local time.
    It was the most unpleasant landing I ever had as the plane bounced up off the runway after a very hard landing. It re-landed after about 10-15 seconds.
    Everyone in the plane got off at around 2:15 after a very nervous and quiet clap.
    We arrived in our hotel at 3:30am but due to my very strange reactions I awoke at 7:30 am.

It was a great holiday with great weather and I noticed people around the hotel referring to the "nightmare flight".

Coming home, in the nightmare airport of palma we were delayed an hour, thank god! I wouldn't of had time to eat or think if it wasn't.

Landed in shannon just half an hour late, greeted by horrible windy and rainy weather.

Overall in shannon, the airport staff very friendly with a nice atmosphere. We got an €8 voucher each for our wait which got us a few drinks and food. Free wifi was a big bonus and I was allowed charge my phone and laptop, free of charge. Exceptional phone signal everywhere in the airport, with only 1 part of the airport with less than full bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Paybel

Celebrating 37 summer destinations, 9 new routes and the Cheapest Airport parking in Ireland, Passenger's at Shannon Airport were recently treated with a talented Flash Mob by Students from the Irish world Academy of Music and Dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭patspost

Carnacalla, I too was on that flight, early June I think. Palma was very busy on departure but very well managed Q system, so moved very quickly. It wss a late arrival in Palma allright, stayed in Alcudia for the week.

Paybel wrote: »
    Celebrating 37 summer destinations, 9 new routes and the Cheapest Airport parking in Ireland, Passenger's at Shannon Airport were recently treated with a talented Flash Mob by Students from the Irish world Academy of Music and Dance.
    It's "passengers". "Passenger's" would denote something possessed by a single passenger, or (being pedantic) something owned by someone called "Passenger".

That said, you have to envy the amount of vacant space those dancers have to perform in.

When is a flash mob a flash mob, and when is it just a public performance? For the sake of argument, was this event in Dublin last year a flash mob?

Or this one in Heathrow back in 2010

Or this one in Manchester back in 2011

Anyway, great to see Shannon breaking new ground as always.

patspost wrote: »
    Carnacalla, I too was on that flight, early June I think. Palma was very busy on departure but very well managed Q system, so moved very quickly. It wss a late arrival in Palma allright, stayed in Alcudia for the week.

Yeah 10th june.
    We stayed in palma nova.
    The problem I have with airports like palma is that we were very rushed because we spent a bit too long at the food section.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah 10th june.
    We stayed in palma nova.
    The problem I have with airports like palma is that we were very rushed because we spent a bit too long at the food section.

You have a problem with Palma airport because you didn't watch the time and spent too long in the food court? The problem isn't with the airport here.

Paybel wrote: »

Some of the comments on Youtube yesterday can't but bring a smile to the face, as you realise that people aren't so stupid after all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv96XV2oOp4

<...>Jaysus there are more people in the Flashmob than passengers passing through Shannon

<...>my cousin who told me about this at the weekend needs to be told that a 'hen party' didn't 'join in'

<...>Why didn't one dancer protest against the U.S. government/war criminals using shannon airport to illegally torture inmates at Guantanamo?

<...>I was so excited by this at first but then began to rhink of all the poor souls out on the tarmac being transported to all kinds of sinister destinations and frankly, it's left a taste of something very very unsavoury in my mouth

<...>When everybodys joined the Flashmob......
    and ya realize they only actually have an audience of 5<...>

You have a problem with Palma airport because you didn't watch the time and spent too long in the food court? The problem isn't with the airport here.

I self faulted myself at that. If our flight was on time, we would of had 5 minutes to eat due to the long delays getting in. That is a fault of the airport.

I see Shannon isn't a hub yet.
    Honestly, as much as I support Shannon, it would take a crazy amount of Investment. Investment from an airline? Maybe. But unless Shannon starts to double in passenger numbers every year I cannot see Investment coming from elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I see Shannon isn't a hub yet.

Do you mean passenger or cargo ops? - For passenger there is actually no need for a hub airline, look at Bristol in the UK for example a massive base for LCCs and for an airport that was at around 2.7m pax in 2001 it handled 6.1m in 2013, that's what SNN should aim for, it neered 3.5m in 2007 and granted demand for flights will take time to recover it certainly is not unachieveable. If they can get that right and draw more cargo operators, they'll be making enough to sustain their own investment.

Advertisement