Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Storm January 2nd/3rd 2012 (Malin records gust to 169km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann dont seem to be concerned with this storm just said stormy conditions on Monday night into Tuesday, no warning of damaging winds etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just missed it.

Not overly detailed regarding the storm potential; more just a sum up of the week ahead. Most interesting part was when Siobhan mentioned the '1 hour of sunshine in parts of the west last week' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Met Eireann dont seem to be concerned with this storm just said stormy conditions on Monday night into Tuesday, no warning of damaging winds etc.

Thats in line with the UK Met Office warning. They only mention a risk of disruption to travel but no mention of damaging gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Wasn't expecting the wind that was here early this morning, came out of nowhere from 3am - 4am with gusts of up to 60km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Chitthy Chitty Bang Bang on now. Should keep us entertained until the 12z's come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

Not just for the poster who asked specifically, but a general comment:

Check back after 1600h for the latest estimates, but I think we are all rather concerned at this point about potential severity, and the track now being featured will not spare any regions, but even relatively small shifts in that track might adjust the impacts.

It needs to be stressed that this will happen mostly in the pre-dawn darkness on Tuesday although it will stay very windy across the northeast until mid-day or so.

To give some idea of how this might play out, these are some wind gust maximum forecasts that I would issue for current model consensus:

Belmullet, Mace Head, Valentia, Sherkin Is, Roche Pt ... 75-80 kts

Johnstown, Cork, Shannon, Casement, Dublin, Malin Head ... 55-65 kts

Mullingar, Oak Park, Claremorris, Ballyhaise ... 45-55 kts

Notice these are a bit stronger than previous storms even in windy locations (except for Malin Head which I am keeping lower because of track)

Galway Bay and the region from Galway to Athlone to Meath could be in line for exceptionally strong gusts on the track we're seeing at present.

Now as the poster who asked the question lives in Donegal, I might say that this storm could be severe more in the south than the north of Donegal but only if it keeps very close to a track across Malin Head; the strongest winds in storms of this type are usually 50-150 miles to the south of the track.

Anyway, there is time for this to change, it's important to realize that we are trying to match forecast maps with wind speeds, and this storm is 36h away with almost 3,000 kms of ocean to cross. But that in itself tells a story, the average forward speed given those numbers is 83 km/hr ... and a storm racing along at that speed while deepening is capable of generating some very intense gusts, I can't really rule out 90-100 kts being in play at some point, let's hope that doesn't materialize.

Bottom line is, take this storm very seriously until either it happens or we get reliable indications of a downgrade.

Thank for your in-depth response and to everyone else who answered my question earlier.much appreciated

12010300_2_0100.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I've blown this up an put an X where i think storm centre will go.

186801.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

These storms seem to be following a predictable course. I'll predict it swings north. Whacks into Scotland. NW (here) will have a normal stormy day. I'll guess max gusts of 48knts at Finner and maybe 50-52knts at Malin Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Nice one Redsunset, its like a spot the ball competition.. I can't make x' s etc but I think its going to be just slightly lower than where you have it.. This is a really interesting run. Thanks to all that post charts and explanations. Got a hand held anemometer for Christmas and it looks like i might just get to test it out! Pity about the driving rain thats due with it, and the pre dawn timing.

• Advertisement

There are some similarites between what some of the models are showing and with the Burns Day storm (1990) that sadly killed many people including some here in Ireland.

nogaps-0-36.png?01-11

archives-1990-1-25-0-0.png

Not forecast to deepen as much as the 1990 storm but the similarities are interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

irish1967 wrote: »
    These storms seem to be following a predictable course. I'll predict it swings north. Whacks into Scotland. NW (here) will have a normal stormy day. I'll guess max gusts of 48knts at Finner and maybe 50-52knts at Malin Head.

See i think there is a difference here. The large depression situated over Iceland will force this system further south than it's path would otherwise expected to go.

I think the slightly care free attitude by Met Eireann is a bit concerning (Yes they've mentioned stormy so have covered themselves) but, this has the potential to be the most widespread storm to hit the island in a few years. Consider wherever the centre goes a swathe of severe gales will affect all of the country in association with the frontal passage.

So we are talking about widespread inland gusts of 50-60KTs even if the track deviates north.

At this point i expect we will see widespread gusts to 60KT with gusts from 70-75KT along some exposed southern areas like Roches Point. Then we have the wrap around which could move inland or just affect the north coast, but i anticipate this will be a small section of severe wind as the low will be rapidly developing and this type of scenario can see a sting jet develop during the rapid intensification, within this red zone gusts to 80KT (PROB 30 type thing) could be reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jirafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Water vapour image of current position
    wv-l.jpg

brack1.gif

Met Office Analysis and Synoptic Weather Forecast Charts

http://www.metbrief.com/EGRRanim.html

12Z GME about 5mb deeper than its previous run.

gme-0-36.png?12

One can use the following link to view the latest models runs from Meteociel

Link ............. http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

12Z NAE is virtually identical to its last run. No point posting it.

GFS rolling out now.

GFS slightly further south and few mb less deep again on this run.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

12z shows less intensity from now up to 12 midnight tomorrow and moves the system south again.

Rtavn361.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks more and more likely now that the South will bear the brunt this time.
    Interesting storm but by no means spectacular!

Yeah 12Z is a bit further south and as a result a bit weaker.

Its drops 8mb in 3 hours as it crosses NI.

Max gusts of about 75mph on south/southwest coasts and about 50-60mph everywhere else if this run came off.

My Take from the 12z GFS

Roches Point 45KT gusting 75KT(85MPH)

Dublin Airport 35KT gusting 65KT(75MPH)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Looks like Scandinavia on the receiving end of it at it's peak. They've had a fair few thrown at them this season.

12_36_windvector.png?dt=01January%2020121610:57

:):):cool::cool::D:D;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Doesn't look particularly severe on the 12z GFS, certainly no worse than the December 13th storm. Still on a knife edge though and a slight tweak in track and intensity could bring a very different result

Tuesday

gfs-0-39-3h_rlx3.png

Dec 13

gfs-2011121300-0-12_cpk6.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looks more and more likely now that the South will bear the brunt this time.
    Interesting storm but by no means spectacular!

Not one decent storm in 2011 so we will take what we can get at this stage. ;)

• Advertisement

12Z UKMO is further north and a little more intense than GFS.

UW42-21.GIF?01-17

12Z HIRLAM looks a bit further south but not much change?

hirlam-0-39.png?01-18

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement