Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Whats the story with the new Star Trek series ? according to imdb it was supposed to start on Jan 1 2017, but still no episodes ?

edit ok I see it's been delayed indefinetely ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery

pity ..

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Whats the story with the new Star Trek series ? according to imdb it was supposed to start on Jan 1 2017, but still no episodes ?

edit ok I see it's been delayed indefinetely ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery

pity ..

Its not on hold they had a teaser which states may for release

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Funnily enough I was only watching encounter at farpoint myself at the weekend, and noticed something that struck me as charmingly anachronistic. It was when Picard was talking about using printouts to notify all decks to prepare for "maximum acceleration" when he wanted to "see what this Galaxy class starship can do"

I just had this mental image on an Oki Microline dot matrix printer clattering away...

But I don't ever recall seeing a printout ANYWHERE on tng.

Was that not an attempt to hide the plan from Q by doing it that way rather than just an all decks voice comm?

Before he/they realised of course that Q knows all and sees all..

Oh interesting side note actually. I've gotten into playing Elite Dangerous lately and one of the lads sent me a link to a voice comms add-on you can get.. with optional voices ye may recognize.... :p

WARNING.. first one contains some NSFW language!

and Captain Kirk himself!

Awesome!! Will be trying these out later I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's since been pushed back again to the Fall/Autumn season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

pity ..
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's since been pushed back again to the Fall/Autumn season

And we have a whole thread on this over here. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Was that not an attempt to hide the plan from Q by doing it that way rather than just an all decks voice comm?

Before he/they realised of course that Q knows all and sees all..

It was. But it was the mental image of a dot matrix printer clattering away that made me smile. Even though I know it would be something else, a phaser jet printer as opposed to a laser jet.

I still never saw any paperwork on tng though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Inviere

I still never saw any paperwork on tng though.

If I were to guess, I'd say printouts referred to printing the message on all workstation/terminal screens.

Inviere wrote: »
    If I were to guess, I'd say printouts referred to printing the message on all workstation/terminal screens.

Print to .pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

And we have a whole thread on this over here. :rolleyes:

No need for sarcasm, this is still a general ST thread !

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

big trek fan but one thing really bothers me in tng and later ones. When using the communicator they tap it and say "Picard to Data" Data replies but should it not be "data from picard" so the comm knows who to find? or does everyone hear the first bit until Data replies back? yeah i know i have way too much time on my hands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

big trek fan but one thing really bothers me in tng and later ones. When using the communicator they tap it and say "Picard to Data" Data replies but should it not be "data from picard" so the comm knows who to find? or does everyone hear the first bit until Data replies back? yeah i know i have way too much time on my hands!

Probably the Picard to Data bit gets said in full, processed, Data is found and played for him.

Then the conversation becomes instant twoway

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

ooh yay thats better! i can live with that explanation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

As a kid that was something that always annoyed me. It happens too quickly to be processed and then played to the correct person.

Another one was where you would see Starfleet people hearing people speak other languages, especially Klingon. When anyone was saying "Qapla'" I was screaming "why is the Universal Translator not turning that into English?????"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Another one was where you would see Starfleet people hearing people speak other languages, especially Klingon. When anyone was saying "Qapla'" I was screaming "why is the Universal Translator not turning that into English?????"
    Obviously whoever designed the universal translator (Hoshi, I think) was a fansubber and thought peppering in words from the original language made it more authentic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

As a kid that was something that always annoyed me. It happens too quickly to be processed and then played to the correct person.

The computer doing it is powerful enough to work the transporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It happens too quickly to be processed and then played to the correct person.

Not at all its the 24th century and they would have computers that are thousands perhaps even millions of times faster than the fastest computer we have now. I would also think the computer has been programmed with say everyone's voice and all the voice commands that the Captain, 1st officer etc could make so as soon as he says say Picard to Data or Picard to Engineering the computer is processing it as he says it and in a millionth off a second that is sent to where it is going and the person that is supposed to receive it gets it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Right but the words still need to be played at the other end. The speed of sound hasn't changed.

For it to work there would always be a delay of a few seconds between the first message being said and the correct person hearing it. Obviously that delay of a few seconds wouldn't look great on a TV show though.

Wait, you mean that it's not real life????

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

AMKC wrote: »
    It happens too quickly to be processed and then played to the correct person.

Not at all its the 24th century and they would have computers that are thousands perhaps even millions of times faster than the fastest computer we have now. I would also think the computer has been programmed with say everyone's voice and all the voice commands that the Captain, 1st officer etc could make so as soon as he says say Picard to Data or Picard to Engineering the computer is processing it as he says it and in a millionth off a second that is sent to where it is going and the person that is supposed to receive it gets it.
    It's perfectly reasonable that a computer would be able to recognise individuals people in the not too distant future. They can almost do it now it's just nowhere near dependable. Google can already kind of understand context and can search billions of articles in split seconds.

The most unusual thing about star trek communications is mostly that the other person responds so quickly.

The problem is if the computer can do all those things it should be able to do most of the jobs that the people are doing, it could do them far better and far quicker too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's perfectly reasonable that a computer would be able to recognise individuals people in the not too distant future. They can almost do it now it's just nowhere near dependable. Google can already kind of understand context and can search billions of articles in split seconds.

The most unusual thing about star trek communications is mostly that the other person responds so quickly.

The problem is if the computer can do all those things it should be able to do most of the jobs that the people are doing, it could do them far better and far quicker too.

Tell that to the crew of the USS-Excalibur!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Seeing that stuff about loads of people being turned away from Gamercon brought back a memory for me from my teens.

It was the Grand Hotel in Malahide, mid nineties, and to my recollection was the first "proper" Star Trek con in Ireland (John DeLancie had been brought over for a small event in Wynn's hotel maybe a year or two before).

I know we had absolutely no idea how many people were going to attend (internet wasn't really around so it was a case of advertise and basically see who turns up), and I had volunteered to man the front door. Unfortunately, we ended up having to turn away loads of people because the venue was at capacity, many of whom had made the trip up from the country. I felt so bad!

It was the first time people really got an idea how much of an appetite for this sort of event there was in Ireland. I believe it was George Takei was the guest of honour that first year? Does anyone remember it?

Edit: or was it Majel Barret the first year and Takei the year after?

Dublin convention centre is tiny, if that many tickets sold it should have been moved to the RDS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Dublin convention centre is tiny, if that many tickets sold it should have been moved to the RDS

I'm no expert at all, but I would imagine it would be standard practice to sell significantly more places than a venue could accomodate at any one time? I get the impression the organisers were caught off guard by the length of time people were staying.

JayRoc wrote: »
    I'm no expert at all, but I would imagine it would be standard practice to sell significantly more places than a venue could accomodate at any one time? I get the impression the organisers were caught off guard by the length of time people were staying.

They would indeed and queues are part and parcel, generally.
    This scenario is different, however, given how much they overbooked by AND the type of conference it is.
    Most conferences are a "walk by and you're done" type, a gamecon would be much more interactive and immersing, massively decreasing pass through rate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I have updated my star trek site

over 1300 images, including wallpapers, logo, manipulations etc

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Maybe it can tell when people intend to be understood? Like, War and Peace was written in Russian but contains lengthy passages in French. A lot of translations translate the Russian to English but leave the French as it is

From the hipster universe :eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS35Arg4qleJ-gfYdUw3qXFpPbZQTcavmiOqQEF4i_4NI_q_icujQ

Computer, organic Austrian goat milk double-half-caf, half-decaf, soy milk cappuccino with a dash of Madagascar cinnamon-and half tablespoon of caramel-latte-frappa-mocha. Hot.

Funnily enough I was only watching encounter at farpoint myself at the weekend, and noticed something that struck me as charmingly anachronistic. It was when Picard was talking about using printouts to notify all decks to prepare for "maximum acceleration" when he wanted to "see what this Galaxy class starship can do"

I just had this mental image on an Oki Microline dot matrix printer clattering away...

But I don't ever recall seeing a printout ANYWHERE on tng.

paper was hardly ever used, I suppose to keep the "futuristic" vibe

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Star Trek: Voyager is the most re-watched Star Trek series on Netflix UK And 177 people have watched all 695 episodes

Top 10 episodes watched on Netflix.
    1. Star Trek Voyager – season 7, episode 24: Endgame, Parts 1 & 2

2. Star Trek: The Next Generation – season 4, episode 1: The Best of Both Worlds, Part 2

3. Star Trek: The Next Generation – season 3, episode 26: The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1

4. Star Trek Voyager – season 4, episode 1: Scorpion, Part 2

5. Star Trek Voyager – season 3, episode 26: Scorpion, Part 1

6. Star Trek Voyager – season 5, episode 15: Dark Frontier, Parts 1 & 2

7. Star Trek Voyager – season 4, episode 2: The Gift

8. Star Trek: The Next Generation – season 4, episode 14: Clues

9. Star Trek Voyager – season 1, episode 3: Time and Again

10. Star Trek: The Next Generation – season 2, episode 16: Q-Who?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-09-08/star-trek-voyager-is-the-most-re-watched-star-trek-series-on-netflix-uk/

Advertisement