Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

yeah but you cant get it in on in the decon chamber in case you get space herpes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

ye need permission from the doctor, who's also totally onboard for you getting it on with at least one of his four wives :D

If ye haven't seen it already, (Barrowman is really annoying all the way through this) It's worth a look. Five captains in London 2012

Richard Hatch (battlestar galactica 78/03 and Axanar) has died of pancreatic cancer :/

Richard Hatch (battlestar galactica 78/03 and Axanar) has died of pancreatic cancer :/

Just read that

RIP

Liked his roles in both BSG and was looking forward to him in Axanar.

• Advertisement

Same here, apparently he was really looking forward to playing Kharn in Axanar too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

That's awesome and it looks like they're already well on course to hitting that target.

I know it looks like Brooks would be out but I'd love a one-off DS9 TV movie.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    That's awesome and it looks like they're already well on course to hitting that target.

I know it looks like Brooks would be out but I'd love a one-off DS9 TV movie.

If ye take a gander at the video i linked a few days ago above - he's (Brooks)still on for it, but like says, time is running short.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

How far into the future were the scenes on the Defiant in The Visitor? It would be great to get a glimpse of how the future really looked that far into the characters' futures.

• Advertisement

the one were Kurn was Old Jake Sisko?

Dunno, not sure they mentioned the age or time between elastic banding, it may have been 30 years after the first banding on DS9(no makeup Kurn), then 60 (longer lifespan in ST, ancient Kurn)

the one were Kurn was Old Jake Sisko?

Dunno, not sure they mentioned the age or time between elastic banding, it may have been 30 years after the first banding on DS9(no makeup Kurn), then 60 (longer lifespan in ST, ancient Kurn)

Trek Trivia: The writer who Kurn/Jake is telling the story to (who he casually wipes from time) was Andrew Robinson's (Garak) daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

That documentary should be interesting, but what are the chances Paramount will allow the one-off ep?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

That documentary should be interesting, but what are the chances Paramount will allow the one-off ep?

They're not going to shoot an ep. It'll be a discussion about it.

they did mention something almost as good, a season 8 episode 1 script/storyboard - so we might actually find out what the craic is with how the show ended, and was supposed to end in S8. That and Jake were the only things about the whole show that i didn't like how they ended it, everything else was done very well. But yeah, It was an ending but not the one Jake deserved.

yP4UQka.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'm kinda glad it ended the way it did. It felt like an ending of that part of their lives rather than a wrapping up of everything. If they'd gone for another season it really would have felt like they were ripping off Babylon 5 (yes I'm aware of why that show's last season felt quite tacked on).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Inviere

Why did Nog get a black pip when the made him an ensign? Ensign is a single gold pip isn't it? Is it because he hadn't yet graduated, & it was a field commission or something?

Also, it's glemening out there right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Evade

Inviere wrote: »
    Why did Nog get a black pip when the made him an ensign? Ensign is a single gold pip isn't it? Is it because he hadn't yet graduated, & it was a field commission or something?

Also, it's glemening out there right now...
    Single black pip was chief in the early seasons so I'd say it was a costuming error. It happens a lot with rank insignia.

Evade wrote: »
    Single black pip was chief in the early seasons so I'd say it was a costuming error. It happens a lot with rank insignia.

Am I right in thinking though that by the time he got that pip, he still hadn't graduated? There was certainly no big deal of it other than "They made me an ensign. If my classmates at the academy could see me now" (followed by O'Brien saying he didn't think things had got that bad :D)

Inviere wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking though that by the time he got that pip, he still hadn't graduated? There was certainly no big deal of it other than "They made me an ensign. If my classmates at the academy could see me now" (followed by O'Brien saying he didn't think things had got that bad :D)
    Commissioning is graduating. All those damaged ships have to be re-crewed and graduating capable cadets early makes sense. The lack of pomp and circumstance was probably due to the war and the fact they were about to leave to retake DS9. Come to think of it we rarely see characters getting promoted. The only ones I can think of are Sisko making captain, Tuvok and Worf making lieutenant commander, and Paris regaining lieutenant JG. Usually it's just an off-hand remark or a change in the opening titles.

I think the fact that they promoted him to lieutenant JG by the end of the series shows it was permanent. There might be some caveat that in order to maintain his rank or be eligible for further promotion he might have to take some required classes or exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Commissioning is graduating. All those damaged ships have to be re-crewed and graduating capable cadets early makes sense. The lack of pomp and circumstance was probably due to the war and the fact they were about to leave to retake DS9. Come to think of it we rarely see characters getting promoted. The only ones I can think of are Sisko making captain, Tuvok and Worf making lieutenant commander, and Paris regaining lieutenant JG. Usually it's just an off-hand remark or a change in the opening titles.

I think the fact that they promoted him to lieutenant JG by the end of the series shows it was permanent. There might be some caveat that in order to maintain his rank or be eligible for further promotion he might have to take some required classes or exams.

La Forge went to Lt Cdr from Lieutenant when he left the bridge to go to engineering in TNG

La Forge went to Lt Cdr from Lieutenant when he left the bridge to go to engineering in TNG
    He went full lieutenant when he moved to engineering then later to lieutenant commander but that's my point. There was no promotion ceremony, it happened off screen if it happened at all.

Nog got promoted. Twice.

Nog got promoted. Twice.
    That's what I wrote. Inviere questioned whether Nog's promotion was permanent because there was no graduation ceremony. I pointed out there was a war on etc and thatusually when a character gets promoted there's no ceremony shown and listed the exceptions I could think of off the top of my head.

That's what I wrote. Inviere questioned whether Nog's promotion was permanent because there was no graduation ceremony. I pointed out there was a war on etc and thatusually when a character gets promoted there's no ceremony shown and listed the exceptions I could think of off the top of my head.

I guess I just thought they'd make more of it, given Nog was one of the unlikeliest characters on the station to join the Academy, expressed to Sisko it was difficult being at the academy on both the social and workload fronts, AND was the first ever Ferengi to join the academy. For a while he's a cadet, and then suddenly he's in a black uniform like nothing ever happened. The war certainly was the focus, I just thought that because it seemed SO rushed, that perhaps he hadn't yet graduated and was just given the rank for war reasons. Though as you say, he was promoted again in S7 so that's that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

He has to order holo-geordie to his death.

He has to order holo-geordie to his death.

I ****ing hated that episode. Like anyone would have a moment of hesitation in a video game scenario

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was gonna say the same thing about that episode earlier. How does having to order a hologram to his "death" mean you would be able to order your friend to his death? Same issue i had with the Kobayashi Maru. Spock says the purpose of the exercise is to experience fear...fear in the face of certain death. But you can't experience that fear in a simulation.

Holodecks would be freakin amazing though. Utterly impossible in real life, but maybe VR will eventually get there.

Kiith wrote: »
    I was gonna say the same thing about that episode earlier. How does having to order a hologram to his "death" mean you would be able to order your friend to his death?
    I think it was more to drive home you might have to order someone to their death. It's similar to a book I read about US Marine infantry officer training where during one of the field exercises you are the leader for you're told to look at the casualties on the ground (other people on the course who were told they would have been hit) and asked if you could go on if those men were really dead / dying. There's no real way to simulate that situation, even with holodeck technology.

• Advertisement

I think it was more to drive home you might have to order someone to their death. It's similar to a book I read about US Marine infantry officer training where during one of the field exercises you are the leader for you're told to look at the casualties on the ground (other people on the course who were told they would have been hit) and asked if you could go on if those men were really dead / dying. There's no real way to simulate that situation, even with holodeck technology.

Except that they made a big deal that she make the decision on the Deck and how it was so hard for her. FFS she was already a lieutenant, she would have to know the score already.

FFS Wesley got a much more convincing one during his academy test (another ridiculous episode to be fair, how only one position was available for 4 mega genius kids was stupid)

Advertisement