Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Evade

Except that they made a big deal that she make the decision on the Deck and how it was so hard for her. FFS she was already a lieutenant, she would have to know the score already.
    I mean realising that the thing you want might result in you having to order a friend or colleague to their death probably isn't an easy thing to come to terms with. Also she was a therapist, it's not uncommon for medical personnel to have a different promotion track as opposed to line officers.
    FFS Wesley got a much more convincing one during his academy test (another ridiculous episode to be fair, how only one position was available for 4 mega genius kids was stupid)
    The more stupid thing in that episodes was some species in Starfleet get a pass at being absolute assholes and the humans (and presumable other more even tempered species) have to adjust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Kiith wrote: »
    I was gonna say the same thing about that episode earlier. How does having to order a hologram to his "death" mean you would be able to order your friend to his death?

I don't know....people get fairly immersed in computer games as it is.

World of warcraft is a good example. People go mental for it.

I imagine it would be fairly easy to become completely immersed in a 100% realistic simulation of your closest friends.

As a side note, I love how the people writing next gen felt the need, in a series set in space, where there is literally no boundary to where you can go with the story, to include the holodeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Holodecks would be freakin amazing though. Utterly impossible in real life, but maybe VR will eventually get there.
    I reckon we'll see a merging of VR and AR, VR isn't relevant to most people but I can see AR becoming as common as mobile phones. Of course it would never be able to give the full holodeck experience but I reckon within 10 years we'll have a very immersive VR/AR experience.

AR could be another death nail in the consumer market. If you can watch TV in AR and share the same experience with others there's really no need to own a TV. Billboards could be replaced with AR triggers, a load of devices could become redundant with AR.

Evade wrote: »

The more stupid thing in that episodes was some species in Starfleet get a pass at being absolute assholes and the humans (and presumable other more even tempered species) have to adjust.

Very human-centric ha, Vulcans could say the same about humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

That's what I wrote. Inviere questioned whether Nog's promotion was permanent because there was no graduation ceremony. I pointed out there was a war on etc and thatusually when a character gets promoted there's no ceremony shown and listed the exceptions I could think of off the top of my head.

plus, Good chance he'd be dead soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Which TV reboot of Star Trek featured an episode that integrated with the original series?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Which TV reboot of Star Trek featured an episode that integrated with the original series?

"Trouble with Tribbles" in DS9

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Cheers. Have it all on Netflix, so want to see it again. Couldn't remember the particular series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Trials and Tribble-ations ;)

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Cheers. Have it all on Netflix, so want to see it again. Couldn't remember the particular series.

A mirror darkly in enterprise is much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

A mirror darkly in enterprise is much better

It's really not. Of all the enterprise episodes, they were the worst.
    Bakula just cant do a bad guy at all.

The only thing they got right was removing that faith of the arse song from the intro.

It's really not. Of all the enterprise episodes, they were the worst.
    Bakula just cant do a bad guy at all.

The only thing they got right was removing that faith of the arse song from the intro.

nah, that was a good episode(s)

Of all the enterprise episodes, they were the worst.

Space nazis?

Riker?

the temporal cold war?

Seriously, the worst?

Space nazis?

Riker?

the temporal cold war?

Seriously, the worst?

The most baffling thing about Enterprise was the decision to introduce a series specific antagonist race.

absolutely bizarre decision.

Space nazis?

Riker?

the temporal cold war?

Seriously, the worst?

I get what he is saying though.
    Bakula's idae of being evil was to over pronounce everything and puff out his cheeks at the end of every sentence

Space nazis?

Riker?

the temporal cold war?

Seriously, the worst?

You're counting the last episode with Riker?

The temporal cold war was the theme throughout the series, ye couldn't escape it. Like it or not, that was the stage the play was acted on.

Bakula does a decent goodguy, he's totally miscast as a badguy, anybody else could have been the captain in the mirror universe, or nobody would have made more sense with all that backstabbing.

The worst episode in the history of Trek is the finale for Enterprise.

Worse than Fairhaven,

Worse than Up the Long Ladder

Worse than Spock's Brain

So bad, it never happened.

IT NEVER HAPPENED.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The finale of Enterprise wasn't the worst episode imo. The others you listed are all far worse than it is. Along with Sub Rosa.

It is however the worst idea they've ever had. For a finale to end like that was just a slap in the face to the entire show, and i can't understand what made them think it would be ok.

The worst episode in the history of Trek is the finale for Enterprise.

Worse than Fairhaven,

Worse than Up the Long Ladder

Worse than Spock's Brain

So bad, it never happened.

IT NEVER HAPPENED.
    Threshold is the worst. It got written out of continuity for being so bad.

The finale of Enterprise wasn't the worst episode imo. The others you listed are all far worse than it is. Along with Sub Rosa.

It is however the worst idea they've ever had. For a finale to end like that was just a slap in the face to the entire show, and i can't understand what made them think it would be ok.

the fact it's a series finale makes is extra bad.

I can forgive mid-season sh*te like Troy's child, that warp 10 episode, etc.

But to end a show watched for four seasons like that, makes it the worst and lowest of the low.

• Advertisement

which one was sub rosa?

ah yeah, tng beverley's sex ghost - yeah, that was pretty bad xD

Out of all the series' mirror universes, which was the worst?

dont forget voyager had one too - kind of, with the EMH setting things straight - except it was history being written by the victor rather than mirror universe, close enough :P

Out of all the series' mirror universes, which was the worst?
    The one where Bariel and the Intendant come to the prime universe, if that counts.

The one where Bariel and the Intendant come to the prime universe, if that counts.

in fairness to bariel, he acted that part way better than his original, he even got to nick worf's mek'leth from right under his nose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'll be honest and say I usually skip DS9s mirror universe storylines, just never got into them.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'll be honest and say I usually skip DS9s mirror universe storylines, just never got into them.

The emperors new cloak is brilliant.

Rom trying work out the mirror universe is some of the best at that exists.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There is the one with Vic Fontaine being a real person and getting killed at some stage. Think it was the last one in DS9. That was odd.

spotted Dr. Pulaski in TOS last night looking super hot - that voice just did not change over the years
    She was in it in two different episodes apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

It's a bad episode but the bit where Kira drags Bariel all over the station to get some exercise is good.

I think the last Mirror Ep was def the worst. Threw out any subtly that was left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The Mirror Universe episodes just piss me off. I'm sure they were fun for the actors but they push the boundaries of reality way past the point of bursting even for Star Trek. It just sucks me out of the show.

Advertisement