Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

spotted Dr. Pulaski in TOS last night looking super hot - that voice just did not change over the years
    She was in it in two different episodes apparently

Yup
    • Dr. Miranda Jones in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?"
    • Ann Mulhall in "Return to Tomorrow"
    She's fair smokin' in those two. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Watched that second one last night, she played the blind part really well. Nearly finished my run through of TOS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,751 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The Mirror Universe episodes just piss me off. I'm sure they were fun for the actors but they push the boundaries of reality way past the point of bursting even for Star Trek. It just sucks me out of the show.

To be fair the TOS and ENT Mirror Universe episodes were very good (the latter being arguably the best 2 episodes of the series IMO).

Diane Duane did a TNG-era book as a follow-up (before the DS9 episodes aired) that was similarly very good. Ditto the Star Trek Continues sequel to the original TOS episode.

DS9 went wrong by turning it into a Ferengi comedy adventure by the end, but the entire premise of a Klingon-Cardassian Alliance was wasted .. it's a shame that Dukat never made an appearance as maybe the head of the Cardassian side of things. Ditto I would have preferred if they'd made Worf a proper Warlord rather than comic relief. Some scenes between them could have been quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

There was never a TNG mirror episode though, was there?

And the voyager episode could have been the prime universe, with the doctor settingbhistory straight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There was never a TNG mirror episode though, was there?

And the voyager episode could have been the prime universe, with the doctor settingbhistory straight.

The one with yar maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Parallels

The one with worf lepping about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭Evade

Parallels

The one with worf lepping about.
    And crazy-beard Riker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Evade wrote: »
    And crazy-beard Riker.

From the hipster universe :eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS35Arg4qleJ-gfYdUw3qXFpPbZQTcavmiOqQEF4i_4NI_q_icujQ

From the hipster universe :eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS35Arg4qleJ-gfYdUw3qXFpPbZQTcavmiOqQEF4i_4NI_q_icujQ
    I guess defeating the Borg was too mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

And crazy-beard Riker.

I like how Picard surviving the Borg seems to be rare.

• Advertisement

The one with yar maybe?

You mean Yesterday's Enterprise?

I don't think so. Weren't they referring to the federation rather than the empire in that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You mean Yesterday's Enterprise?

I don't think so. Weren't they referring to the federation rather than the empire in that?

I mean more what happened to the Universe due to the Ent C not being destroyed, War with the Klingons etc

No, there was no TNG "Miirror Universe" episode as such.. although ya did have Parallels and Yesterday's Enterprise, we didn't get a sequel to the original TOS episode until DS9.

ENT then went back and did "In a Mirror Darkly" which would have been a prequel to the TOS episode.

The Diane Duane novel I referred to above however had the premise that the Terran Empire didn't fall to the Cardassian/Klingon Alliance and by Picard's time was a lot more like Yesterday's Enterprise with a miltaristic attitude and warships rather than starships - albeit with the Klingons and others subjugated and a lot more cruelty and bed hopping! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

There's a new Comic out set in the mirror universe.

Earth never fell when the Terran Empire collapsed, but rather the Klingon Cardassion alliance layed siege to it and slowly stare Earth as its defensives were too great to attack directly. It has Mirror Picard, Troi, Barclay onboard the Stargazer.

Something I've always wondered about the Terran Empire under the Alliance is what happened to the non human species that were subjugated by the Terran Empire? Were they freed or is it a case of the new boss is just like the old boss?

Something I've always wondered about the Terran Empire under the Alliance is what happened to the non human species that were subjugated by the Terran Empire? Were they freed or is it a case of the new boss is just like the old boss?

It's been a while since I watched the DS9 episodes, but from what I recall not much changed for most of them... Klingons and Cardies were top of the pile (with the latter being subservient to the former if the way Garak was treated by both the Regent and the Intendant was any indication)

With a few exceptions, most just seemed to be slave labour

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's been a while since I watched the DS9 episodes, but from what I recall not much changed for most of them... Klingons and Cardies were top of the pile (with the latter being subservient to the former if the way Garak was treated by both the Regent and the Intendant was any indication)

With a few exceptions, most just seemed to be slave labour
    I'm not so sure. There weren't any Vulcans/Andorians/Tellorites/etc used as slave labour on mirror Terak Nor. I think the only non humans in the Terran Rebelion were Jadzia, Quark, Rom, and Tuvok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Mein God , I just see Star Trek TNG, TOS and films are on Netflix ... Think I will be extending this free trial !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Mein God , I just see Star Trek TNG, TOS and films are on Netflix ... Think I will be extending this free trial !!

Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise aswell. Its a Trek fest!

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise aswell. Its a Trek fest!

And will they all be there indefinitely or for a limited time ?

• Advertisement

And will they all be there indefinitely or for a limited time ?

Well the way Netflix works is that stuff does get removed after a period of time. I'm only new to it myself after years of resisting it so I don't know how long the Star Trek catalogue has been there. I'm getting through it asap!

Edit: The TV series only landed on Netflix in January last, so they will be around for a while yet. Enjoy.

Well the way Netflix works is that stuff does get removed after a period of time. I'm only new to it myself after years of resisting it so I don't know how long the Star Trek catalogue has been there. I'm getting through it asap!
    I would guess they'll be there at least until Discovery comes out.

I finished a watch through a few months ago. I started with TOS and went through everything in release order including TAS, it took about 6 months.

I hope they don't remove it after I pay for it :D

Maybe I can ask support ...

I hope they don't remove it after I pay for it :D

Maybe I can ask support ...

Just did a google and I'd say they will be there for a while yet.:D

Just did a google and I'd say they will be there for a while yet.:D

Yep just asked support and they said as long as it doesn't have "Available until ....." under details , then there are no plans to remove them !!

YES !!!

I was debating getting the BluRays of TNG (have the BluRays of S1 TOS) but always paranoid about bluRays of series cos it could be so long till I find any defect (if there are any) and no point getting it replaced - I got stung that way with Breaking Bad ...

cloud streaming is the way ..

Yep just asked support and they said as long as it doesn't have "Available until ....." under details , then there are no plans to remove them !!
    Be aware that they usually only put "available until..." up about two weeks before it's removed.

Funnily enough I was only watching encounter at farpoint myself at the weekend, and noticed something that struck me as charmingly anachronistic. It was when Picard was talking about using printouts to notify all decks to prepare for "maximum acceleration" when he wanted to "see what this Galaxy class starship can do"

I just had this mental image on an Oki Microline dot matrix printer clattering away...

But I don't ever recall seeing a printout ANYWHERE on tng.

Be aware that they usually only put "available until..." up about two weeks before it's removed.

According to what I read, these series only went up on NF in January, so they should be around for a while yet.

According to what I read, these series only went up on NF in January, so they should be around for a while yet.
    They went up last July on the Irish Netflix.

• Advertisement

They went up last July on the Irish Netflix.

I stand corrected so. I read an Irish Examiner article from last October that claimed they were only going up in January.

Advertisement