Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ezri is still a Dax and we only ever got to see her coming to grips with the joining. There is also a reason as to why she progresses.

The Borg situation is also well explained.

Nevertheless, you don't go from a Junior Lieutenant to Captain overnight...it's a career path that would take a long, long, long time...look at Data & Worf, it doesn't matter who you are. By the time Ezri is a Captain, Picard would be like the Picard from All Good Things.

I dunno how it's explained in the book & I wont ask due to spoliers, but it goes against the very nature of the Borg & it's yet another story about how they're scary evil robots when they're not. It'd wanna be a good explanation, like a rogue group or something but thats already been done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Dare I mention Kirk's rise to Captain in the new film?

Beefy78 wrote: »

Star Trek 90210

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Kirk was still crazy young, when he was given Enterprise in the real universe

To expect people to watch a cadet become a Captain overnight is frankly a p1ss take.
    Kirk was still crazy young, when he was given Enterprise in the real universe

Starfleets youngest. It's not his age though, it's how long it takes to progress through the ranks. Captain Picard, I still maintain, would not be still active by the time Ezri made Captain.

It's not believable, & thats what kills non-cannon for me. But I won't knock the book itself till I read it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

EnterNow wrote: »
    This is what kills non-cannon for me. There's no way on Earth Ezri Dax would make Captain in the time Picard is still active. She was a Junior Grade Lieutenant & had many years to go before being anywhere near command level, let alone Captain. That's if she'd make a Captain at all...she's not really command material & it seems she's just written into the book for the sake of any old character.

Also, the Borg don't exterminate, they assimilate. They'd never want to exterminate, because the only agenda they have is the acquisition of technology to enhance their race. To exterminate, would imply an emotive response.

I'll give the book a try for sure, but glaring things like that just put me off right away & I know this sounds arrogant, but when I read non-cannon I often say "That's not really great, it's like something I'd write!"

As Norrie says, and without saying anything further, there is a good reason why she progreses so rapidly. If you can forgive Mack's tendency to insert a few too many Star-Wars-eske aliens, I was very impressed at the care and dedication he layered throughout the book - some of the references could only come from someone who has spent a lot of time watching and reading about the shows - I remember thinking how all the books should be like this one. I also loved how they handled the implications for the federation following Endgame. In the ST universe, there is a before Destiny, and an after, it's that epic.

Yell at captain continuously about his dead mother while all the other bridge crew, officers & security just sit there; then you get his job if you make him angry. I'm picturing how this would go down if anyone tried to pull that crap with Picard.

g7Xo6.jpg

Goldstein wrote: »
    As Norrie says, and without saying anything further, there is a good reason why she progreses so rapidly. If you can forgive Mack's tendency to insert a few too many Star-Wars-eske aliens, I was very impressed at the care and dedication he layered throughout the book - some of the references could only come from someone who has spent a lot of time watching and reading about the shows - I remember thinking how all the books should be like this one. I also loved how they handled the implications for the federation following Endgame. In the ST universe, there is a before Destiny, and an after, it's that epic.

Ok ok you have me convinced. It better be good 'steiny! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Goldstein wrote: »
    Have you given the three Star Trek Destiny books a go? Meticulously researched Star Trek epicness from one of the most knowledgable and skilled authors out there, David Mack.
    They're ok, but way way way over the top, like Star Trek gone Hollywood with action and explosions and death. Lots of silly things in them too just to get characters written in like the whole Voyager piece.
    Also, the Borg don't exterminate, they assimilate. They'd never want to exterminate, because the only agenda they have is the acquisition of technology to enhance their race. To exterminate, would imply an emotive response.
    Ah but they do. They only assimilate useful tech to add to their own. Otherwise they just ignore you until you become a threat and then wipe you out.

Ah but they do. They only assimilate useful tech to add to their own. Otherwise they just ignore you until you become a threat and then wipe you out.

A fair point my good sir, but are the Federation any threat to the mighty Borg? Not even close ;)

I suppose that's not factoring in the events of Endgame, but the Borg Queen assimilated future Janeway, & thus to me nullifying technical advantage they may have gained. I'm sure the knowledge had spread throughout the collective before the Queen died [again!].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Ok ok you have me convinced. It better be good 'steiny! :)

I used to read the books years ago, then started again a few years back due to being starved of any new material. I reasoned that if Nemesis is canon then I'm more than happy to read and accept the better books as otherwise there is no continuation or future adventures for the characters, it just ends. Didn't like that thought much.

Destiny has its problems (I thought he'd gotten Picard wrong but there were other significant non-canon events between Nemesis and Destiny that were pertinent with him).
    Voyager is jammed in too for no reason but it's more of a cameo than anything so I was ok with it.
    but I thought they paled in comparison to its strengths. It certainly feels like it belongs on the big screen and definitely wouldn't be suited to being an actual apisode or arc. Taken in those terms it's hard to see another ST book doing a better job.

• Advertisement

Watched 'Distant Voices' last night, a DS9 season 3 ep.

Always loved that episode for some reason, Bashir is attacked, & ends up inside his own mind trying to repair the damage. All the different facets of his mind are made up by the other cast, & the station itself is his general health...love weird episodes like that.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9bqN6jVuS7jGU59l8Su39AEXxuXGvWeXS4XDgPzFCjl83L85Ytcmpj31d0w

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Never copped that Albert Einstein, who appeared in two episodes of TNG was none other than Bishop Brennan :D

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Never copped that Albert Einstein, who appeared in two episodes of TNG was none other than Bishop Brennan :D

Really?? :eek::D

I shall never look at aul Len the same way again :p

Really?? :eek::D

I shall never look at aul Len the same way again :p

Don't call me Len ya little prick
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/father-ted/video/series-3/episode-6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

FutureGuy wrote: »

One of those episodes is on right now on CBS Action. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Was just thinking of a good episode of voyager where the doctor is stolen and made work in a hospital where they do not dole out healthcare by means of need, only by how many points someone has. Is a good parable for the US health system I thought, anyone else like that particular episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Was just thinking of a good episode of voyager where the doctor is stolen and made work in a hospital where they do not dole out healthcare by means of need, only by how many points someone has. Is a good parable for the US health system I thought, anyone else like that particular episode?

Season 7 episode 5: Critical Care

The doctor was brilliant in that episode as he is in most. He really made Voyager.

Evil healthcare system giving out botox to rich people when it can be used to cure a plague.

PS

I love voyager, it was brilliant and had a huge following otherwise it wouldnt have made it to a 7th season. People just like to moan about something.

I'm quite looking forward to starting to pick up the Voyager DVDs soon. Just been waiting to finish DS9 first (will be starting S7 of that shortly). There's very few episodes of Voyager which I've seen more than once. Maybe the first and last episodes, and the Scorpion two parter.

somuj wrote: »
    PS

I love voyager, it was brilliant and had a huge following otherwise it wouldnt have made it to a 7th season. People just like to moan about something.

Nope, I moan about some specifices.
    Ship reset button every episode
    No real character development
    The 7 of 9 show
    Neelix
    Kazon keeping up with the Fed's fastest ship
    No inter-crew tension

There are more but you get the drift

Yeah, if you look at single episodes on their own merits then it's a fair show and is quite enjoyable. But as a series there are some terminal flaws there for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 AlanD5734

I think Voyager is by far the superior of all the Star Trek series! TOS lets face it apart from its simplistic feel and over acting, was a bit dry and dull (well for an 80's baby ha) and TNG was good, but Jean Luc just wasn't trigger happy enough! DS9 ok I will admit I never really bought into it, but I promise I'll start watching from start to finish tonight... Voyager was sh1t hot! Ship looked fantastic, the Cpt C Janeway wasn't afraid to pull the trigger, the background story of being lost in space in the delta quadrant years from home was classic, and lets face it lads there was some thing about B'leanna Torres!!! Yes I know 7 was there but Torres was a Klingon (yes I know half human) that you would really cling on to!!! Or have I just past the weird mark?:D
    Plus <year of hell> I think it was called (a 2 parter i think) what a great episode!!!!

Year of Hell is along the lines of what the whole series should have been, with the crew battling against a lack of supplies, a dwindling crew and the horror of their situation. Voyager was just too damned happy considering they were adrift in space a lifetime away from home and as has been mentioned everything just reset itself at the end of each episode.

Battlestar Galactica did Voyager better than Voyager did.

AlanD5734 wrote: »
    I think Voyager is by far the superior of all the Star Trek series! TOS lets face it apart from its simplistic feel and over acting, was a bit dry and dull (well for an 80's baby ha) and TNG was good, but Jean Luc just wasn't trigger happy enough! DS9 ok I will admit I never really bought into it, but I promise I'll start watching from start to finish tonight... Voyager was sh1t hot! Ship looked fantastic, the Cpt C Janeway wasn't afraid to pull the trigger, the background story of being lost in space in the delta quadrant years from home was classic, and lets face it lads there was some thing about B'leanna Torres!!! Yes I know 7 was there but Torres was a Klingon (yes I know half human) that you would really cling on to!!! Or have I just past the weird mark?:D
    Plus <year of hell> I think it was called (a 2 parter i think) what a great episode!!!!

Where to begin...would anyone else like to go first or shall I deal with this? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

somuj wrote: »
    PS

Nope, I moan about some specifices.
    Ship reset button every episode
    No real character development
    The 7 of 9 show
    Neelix
    Kazon keeping up with the Fed's fastest ship
    No inter-crew tension

There are more but you get the drift

Voyager stopped at every friendly planet to trade for spare parts.
    Its not BSG, character development is a waste of screen time. Explosion and aliens and space battles make for good scifi.
    7 of 9 was an excellent character, brought plenty to the show with her borg knowledge and curves.
    Nelix was annoying at the start but became interrsting towards the end. Plus he bedded a hot fiesty Klingon.
    Kazon were able to keep up with voyager because Nelix was able to show Janeway the best planets to stop off at for supplies to reset the ship. So that would have be time consuming.
    Tension could be explained away because the crew figured we better work together cause its our only hope of ever getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

AlanD5734 wrote: »

TNG had far better space battles then Voyager, TNG kept things with in a realistic approach were as Voyager did the one heroic little ship versus the Borg and as TNG had pointed out so well, the Borg were to be feared. Even in captains Picard was far superior to Janeway in the way he was written and played, Janeway was fine as a character but not on the same level.
    Sure there were good looking characters in Voyager but there were good looking characters in all other Star Trek shows as well so that's more down to who the viewer finds more appealing, Kes and Seven were basically Voyagers version of Data.

Year of Hell was one of the stand out Voyager episodes but it also didn't fit with the series in that it highlighted the need for repair and refit on a major scale only to have it fixed by the annoying Voyager use of time, what about all the other battles and general ware and tear.

I've not mentioned anything about DS9 because your going to rewatch that and I highy recommend it.

I've not mentioned anything about DS9 because your going to rewatch that and I highy recommend it.

You have to stick through the first two seasons, but if you do, the rewards are there for the taking. Incredible show, & a match for any Trek incarnation

I'm up to S3 Improbable Cause, utterly brilliant two parter & sets the stage for the next four seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

You have to stick through the first two seasons, but if you do, the rewards are there for the taking. Incredible show, & a match for any Trek incarnation

I'm up to S3 Improbable Cause, utterly brilliant two parter & sets the stage for the next four seasons

True but certain characters are so good they make it worth it.

True but certain characters are so good they make it worth it.

Which the first two seasons? Oh I agree....but for someone who thinks VOY is the best I'm willing to bet they'll find early DS9 tough to watch.

I actually love early DS9, it can be tough...but out of my rerun so far, there's only five I've skipped:

S2 - Playing God. I detest that episode.
    S2 - Blood Oath. Again, not a fan.
    S3 - The House Of Quark. This drags for me
    S3 - Equilibrium. Another crap Dax episode
    S3 - Past Tense. Not bad, but a tough enough watch

Aside from them, there's an almost 'silence' to early DS9 which I love.

I love The House of Quark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Which the first two seasons? Oh I agree....but for someone who thinks VOY is the best I'm willing to bet they'll find early DS9 tough to watch.

I actually love early DS9, it can be tough...but out of my rerun so far, there's only five I've skipped:

S2 - Playing God. I detest that episode.
    S2 - Blood Oath. Again, not a fan.
    S3 - The House Of Quark. This drags for me
    S3 - Equilibrium. Another crap Dax episode
    S3 - Past Tense. Not bad, but a tough enough watch

Aside from them, there's an almost 'silence' to early DS9 which I love.

I'd add S1 - If Wishes Were Horses to that list. Seemed like a recycled TOS or TNG script to me - didn't fit in with DS9 at all, personally.

Advertisement