Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Exactly, its cool when you think you're in ten forward on the Enterprise and then you wake up and realize it was all a dream. It doesn't happen very often and it's the next best thing to a holodeck.

Your dream certainly beat the occasional nightmares I had about Romulans chasing me and vaporising me with their disruptors when I was a kid :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew Robinson [Garak] is 70 years old!
    Marc Alaimo [Dukat] is 69 years old!
    Aron Eisenberg [Nog[ is 43!
    Chase Masterson [Leeta] is 49!

That is just wrong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Ahhh Chase Masterson. Now there's a woman.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Ahhh Chase Masterson. Now there's a woman.

She's good at umax I hear :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I bet she's good at a lot of things.

I think I need to lie down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Marc Alaimo [Dukat] is 69 years old!
    Aron Eisenberg [Nog[ is 43!
    Chase Masterson [Leeta] is 49!

That is just wrong :(

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? :eek:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? :eek:

Exactly! :(

I was reading about DS9 on wikipedia, & clicled some of the recurring casts names. Shocking stuff. How the hell can Garak be 70 nowadays, shocking stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Not that hard to believe considering how long ago it started airing on tv.

Not that hard to believe considering how long ago it started airing on tv.

Well obviously :p

It's just so hard to imagine Dukat or Garak as 70 year old men. Those characters are timeless if you ask me

Well obviously :p

It's just so hard to imagine Dukat or Garak as 70 year old men. Those characters are timeless if you ask me

The characters yes, actors no.

It does make me wonder though what a 70 year old Garak would be like, list of names as long as his arm with names crossed off...one by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Watching The Emissary, TNG season 2 episode. I liked K'Ehleyr, wished she was in more than 2 episodes. Did the human/Klingon thing a lot better than B'Elanna. Also keeping her alive would have avoided the Alexander living with Worf storylines which I didn't like that much. Maybe Alexander could've stayed with Worf for a few months at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

If you have Sky, Best of Both Worlds is on at 5 o clock and and the second one at 8 on CBS Action, channel 148 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Andrew? Andy please!

"He scares easily!"

;)

I'm on the DS9 S3 ep 'The Defiant'. Is there anything in cannon that gives any more story to Thomas Riker after the events of this episode, or is this the last we see/hear of him?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm on the DS9 S3 ep 'The Defiant'. Is there anything in cannon that gives any more story to Thomas Riker after the events of this episode, or is this the last we see/hear of him?

There's a bit on Memory Beta, but it's not canon.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Thomas_Riker

Kiith wrote: »
    There's a bit on Memory Beta, but it's not canon.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Thomas_Riker

Cheers, made for interesting reading. He was eventually freed from the Lazon II labour camp, fell in love with Sela, she used him in a plot to attack Qo'Nos, Odo foiled the plot, Federation/Klingon relations were strengthened, & Tom escaped Starfleet capture.

Ya gotta love non-canon stuff sometimes :rolleyes::D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya gotta love non-canon stuff sometimes :rolleyes::D

Yeah, i've been reading through a bit of it today. It just seems like every character is in every story, for random reasons. Was reading about Worf after the end of DS9, or the Borg invasion and it's 63 billion death toll...it's all a bit mental :P

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, i've been reading through a bit of it today. It just seems like every character is in every story, for random reasons. Was reading about Worf after the end of DS9, or the Borg invasion and it's 63 billion death toll...it's all a bit mental :P

The only one I had any interest in reading was Unity [DS9 continuation]. Sisko returns etc & what happens afterwards. I read it all the way through, but somehow, you just know non-canon when you read it...it's never quite, 'real'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Yeah..Non Canon doesn't feel real to me at all.

So in my mind the new universe is non canon. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Daith

What I detest about the books is how small it makes the universe. Every single character seems to show up or gets referenced.

I actually liked the DS9 books but the character of Elias Vaughn seems to be the biggest Mary Su ever. I detest everything he's in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭lauraww

who do you think is hotter,cousellor trois or seven of nine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

It depends, how many councillor Trois are we talking?

and re: the books (Many of which are excellent) I'd sooner non-canon than no-canon anyday :)

lauraww wrote: »

Jadzia Dax
    Goldstein wrote: »
    and re: the books (Many of which are excellent) I'd sooner non-canon than no-canon anyday :)

I just can't get into them at all :(

lauraww wrote: »

Troi (Generations - Nemesis) as she looked better during the movie run :p
    There were a few minor reoccurring actors that looked better.

Have you given the three Star Trek Destiny books a go? Meticulously researched Star Trek epicness from one of the most knowledgable and skilled authors out there, David Mack.

Goldstein wrote: »
    Have you given the three Star Trek Destiny books a go? Meticulously researched Star Trek epicness from one of the most knowledgable and skilled authors out there, David Mack.

It's possible I've read one of them, Destiny sounds familiar. I'll double check, it's a highly rated one yeah?

It's possible I've read one of them, Destiny sounds familiar. I'll double check, it's a highly rated one yeah?

I think this is the omnibus edition with the three books in one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Destiny-Star-Trek-David-Mack/dp/1451657242/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338293933&sr=8-3

Either you'll love this one, or you'll know for sure that the books don't do it for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah i'm the same tbh, just cant get into them at all. I have tried but alas its not to be

Cheers Goldstein, I'll check it out. From the Amazon description;
    In Gods of Night, blitzkrieg attacks by the Borg leave entire worlds aflame. No one knows how they are slipping past Starfleet's defences, so Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the Enterprise have to find out-and put a stop to it.

In Mere Mortals, the Borgs have found a secret passage through subspace and are using it to attack the Federation. But the passage is one of many that the Enterprise crew finds inside a nebula, and Captain Picard and Captain Ezri Dax must find the right one-and lead a counter strike to stop the impending Borg invasion.

In Lost Souls, an armada of several thousand Borg cubes has wiped out a fleet of ships sent by the Federation and its allies. But the Collective's goal this time isn't assimilation-it's extermination. Destruction or salvation-only one can be her final Destiny.

This is what kills non-cannon for me. There's no way on Earth Ezri Dax would make Captain in the time Picard is still active. She was a Junior Grade Lieutenant & had many years to go before being anywhere near command level, let alone Captain. That's if she'd make a Captain at all...she's not really command material & it seems she's just written into the book for the sake of any old character.

Also, the Borg don't exterminate, they assimilate. They'd never want to exterminate, because the only agenda they have is the acquisition of technology to enhance their race. To exterminate, would imply an emotive response.

I'll give the book a try for sure, but glaring things like that just put me off right away & I know this sounds arrogant, but when I read non-cannon I often say "That's not really great, it's like something I'd write!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Cheers Goldstein, I'll check it out. From the Amazon description;

This is what kills non-cannon for me. There's no way on Earth Ezri Dax would make Captain in the time Picard is still active. She was a Junior Grade Lieutenant & had many years to go before being anywhere near command level, let alone Captain. That's if she'd make a Captain at all...she's not really command material & it seems she's just written into the book for the sake of any old character.

Also, the Borg don't exterminate, they assimilate. They'd never want to exterminate, because the only agenda they have is the acquisition of technology to enhance their race. To exterminate, would imply an emotive response.

I'll give the book a try for sure, but glaring things like that just put me off right away & I know this sounds arrogant, but when I read non-cannon I often say "That's not really great, it's like something I'd write!"

Ezri is still a Dax and we only ever got to see her coming to grips with the joining. There is also a reason as to why she progresses.

The Borg situation is also well explained.

Advertisement