Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Ironically and sadly, that's when it actually started to get reasonably good.

I don't think you were alone, I think most people switched off at the same time as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm going to admit it outright.

I did not like Enterprise. The characters either annoyed me, or held no interest. The plots were quite dull, and quite a few twists offended my inner trekkie.

I think I got about halfway through Season 2 before I eventually gave up.

Season 1 and 5 are more random Star Trek type stuff, season 5 is actually very good and has some of the series best written episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Season 1 and 5 are more random Star Trek type stuff, season 5 is actually very good and has some of the series best written episodes.

Season 4 I assume you mean. Ya, it's one of the most consistent seasons of any Trek. Sounds ridiculous but it's true. 90% of the episodes are brilliant. The first 2 seasons killed it, 3 was ok but 4 was outstanding.

Goldstein wrote: »

Season 4 I assume you mean. Ya, it's one of the most consistent seasons of any Trek. Sounds ridiculous but it's true. 90% of the episodes are brilliant. The first 2 seasons killed it, 3 was ok but 4 was outstanding.

Once they got rid of that awful temporal cold war rubbish it was class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just to echo all of the above, Enterprise gets good, very good midway through season 2 & onwards. It rivals anything from Voyager, & I never got what all the nerd rage was about. Sure it steps on the toes of some established cannon...but so the hell what? I found it always explained itself well & gave good reasons for messing with cannon

22493610.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

my ranking with have Enterprise above Voy tbh.

Yeah there was some odd things, but you're writing a series thats trying to stay within canon set by 3 other series that is always gonna be tough.

Also i think a lot of the nerd rage was due to everything not being as fancy.

I dont know about you, but the episode where they built the phase cannons was pretty awesome. You would not have got that anywhere else (apart from the ep with 7 getting her Nanites stolen)

Also.. i really liked Porthos.

Anyway i'm rambling.. the reason why i liked it so much is that if we suddenly gained interstellar travel, we'd be a whole lot more like the crew of the Ent than any of the other ships

EnterNow wrote: »
    Just to echo all of the above, Enterprise gets good, very good midway through season 2 & onwards. It rivals anything from Voyager, & I never got what all the nerd rage was about. Sure it steps on the toes of some established cannon...but so the hell what? I found it always explained itself well & gave good reasons for messing with cannon

22493610.jpg

I don't think it was nerd rage that done it. Just the incredibly weak storylines in the first few series

I don't think it was nerd rage that done it. Just the incredibly weak storylines in the first few series

the nerd rage was a factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

the nerd rage was a factor

Huge factor.
    From people giving out about it looking like an Akira, to having plasma screens, phase pistols etc. It was doomed from the first shot of the ship TBH.

The amount of people complaining that the ship looked too modern and that it looked better than the NCC-1701. FFS people TOS was shot on a shoestring budget in the 1960s, it looked crap even then.

I dunno if you were aware of it at the time Indricotherium, but the amount of p1ssing & moaning by 'fans' was absolutely unreal. Sad sad people. I'm not saying it caused the cancellation, but it certainly contributed to it & in a big way.

By the time Ent got really good in season 2, the damage was done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Agreed.. the problem is (and SGU i think suffered the same) people want the instant gratification from a show, unfortunately a truly good show takes time to build a rapport with the characters.

There's very few exceptions to that for tbh

Teal'c from SG1 being one.
    Data from TNG

Worf was dire in the first few eps of TNG

I quite liked Reed and his alooofness and tbh the fact that i lost count of the number of times each of them was prepared to die to save another, there was very few examples of that in the other shows.

Goldstein wrote: »

Yeah season 4, must have been a temporal effect around when I posted :p

Edit: Come to think of it, some of the plans for Season 5 were very good too.

Agreed.. the problem is (and SGU i think suffered the same) people want the instant gratification from a show, unfortunately a truly good show takes time to build a rapport with the characters.

Nail on the head has been hit. Some of my favourite shows were absolutely dire early on, TNG, DS9, SG-1 to name but some. Look at the masterpieces they turned out to be. It takes time, great stories are hard to write for characters nobody knows.

That's not entirely true, SGU had falling viewers from early in the first season and wasn't a surprise given it went so far away from what previous Stargate shows had built up, it was in real danger of loosing its core audience from day one. Enterprise on the other had a much more consistent viewings during season 1-3 (After the season 1 first episodes high) with season 4 showing a new dip in viewers, it wasn't until around the last episode that the show was finally canceled with the last episode having been made to work in either situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

It wasnt really the fact that it was so different to the previous versions of stargate. It was mostly due to the communications stones and the fact that half of each episode was based on earth in some ridiculous scene that had nothing to do with scifi e.g lesbians in wheel chair, fools in a night club, no one likes me and wanting to see your bastard child. The writers coped on by the end of second season which was fantastic. If only we got a third season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭FGR

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Ent's cast was excellent imo but the setting/era of Enterprise ruined it for me.

I always hoped that Scott Bakula would have had his role in the 24th/25th century. Shame I'll never see that.

How did people who didnt know Quantum Leap feel about Bakula?

I was a big QL fan so was excited when i found out he got the role.

How did people who didnt know Quantum Leap feel about Bakula?

I was a big QL fan so was excited when i found out he got the role.

I don't like QL, never could take to it but Scott Bakula was known to me when he started in Enterprise. I liked him, he played the part well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

he was shocking, not sure if it was him or the character but Archer is one of the worst things about Enterprise.
    I'm frankly amazed there wern't weekly mutanies :D

Blashpemy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Well based on this thread, and my love of Star Trek (plus I was a huge QL fan as a kid) I've decided to try and find where I left off all those years ago.

After loading up one episode, gods damn that theme song was awful :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i actually really liked the theme song,about the opnly thing i did like about enterprise
    i preferred the original version.. they changed it after a few eps didnt they?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

On my current episodes it's the god awful Faith of the Heart

It may change later on, I've decided to go back a few episodes into late season 1 to refresh my memory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no i meant they had two versions of faith of the heart

and i liked the original :p

I thought Archer was grand, a real explorer in the first two seasons. They made him grittier though for seasons 3 & 4 but I never got why people didn't like him

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ahh Faith of the Heart...how i hated you. I remember watching the first episode, quite looking forward to hearing the theme music. Had hoped for something as good as DS9 and Voyager...how wrong i was :( It just didn't fit the show to be honest, and i hated listening to it.

I do plan on watching all of Enterprise in the next few months however. I stopped mid season 2. I used to be able to us the "I've seen every episode of Star Trek" chat up line, but not anymore :P

no i meant they had two versions of faith of the heart

and i liked the original :p

The original is best, they tried to spruce up the theme for season 3 & 4 but I didn't like it that much.

And to be honest, the whole intro sequence/theme has grown on me over the years, I quite like it now.

Also, the intro sequence to the alternate universe two parter was epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I can not either but only because I am married.
    I had it down to "I have seen every episode, of Star Trek, more than once"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Love Star Trek - and after reading through this thread, i only went and downloaded 'bought the box set' of series 1 of my favourite incarnation, DS9, and plan to get through them all chronologically.

I've seen ever ep, but not in the order they were meant to be seen, so i'm sure i'll gain something more by doing it this way, rather than spending the first ten minutes of a random episode trying to figure out where it came in the scheme of things.

• Advertisement

Also, the intro sequence to the alternate universe two parter was epic

Yes.. it sure was.

In all honesty DS9's was probably the best but grew up with TNG so that'll always win out mainly for its simplicity

Advertisement