Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

G-Money wrote: »
    How do you guys convert your DVD's to media? I just have a laptop and it takes an eternity to rip stuff from DVD to some sort of digital format on the computer. I can also see myself getting annoyed having to burn so many discs and name episodes and the like.

It took an absolute eternity to do 30 seasons of Trek [including two seasons of The Animated Series], all individually named & foldered into season & episode. I didn't use any compression, as I didn't want to lose any quality, just took then from my discs as raw mpeg files.

It was worth it in the end as I have them all now on my media oc, & can browse all episodes via a remote control....but man I'd never wanna have to do it again...so repetitive & boring is the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Do you think season 1 TNG is just pure awesome? I like to watch it because it makes me laugh out loud, its so unintentionally funny and goofy that its hard not to like. The music had more gusto too. I was watching the episode where Riker gets the powers of the Q and its just pure win. Nothing could be made like it today, it was a product of particular moment in time in the 80s when such things could actually be made which makes me like it even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Do you think season 1 TNG is just pure awesome? I like to watch it because it makes me laugh out loud, its so unintentionally funny and goofy that its hard not to like. The music had more gusto too. I was watching the episode where Riker gets the powers of the Q and its just pure win. Nothing could be made like it today, it was a product of particular moment in time in the 80s when such things could actually be made which makes me like it even more.

Did you check out Wil Wheaton's review of that episode?
    About the talking: I'm very reluctant to criticize my friend Gene Roddenberry, but it seems like a typical Aaron Sorkin criticism can be leveled at him in these early episodes: he puts his words into his characters mouths, and lectures the audience. There are moments of interesting and engaging character interaction between Riker and Q, Riker and Picard, and Picard and Q here, but there's a ton of expository, preachy, I-am-going-to-make-my-point dialogue in those scenes that's emotionally disconnected and tiresome. If a writer or producer wants to get points across to his audience, I think it's better to do it less obviously, with more allegory and less power point presentations. Think of Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica, and you'll have a perfect example of how to do it right.

The worst episode for that was Too Short a Season imo, but it afflicts a lot of early TNG.

Alamarain, count to four
    Alamarain, then three more
    Alamarain, if you can see
    Alamarain, you'll come with me.

God, it's horrific. I'm of the minority who actually likes that ep though :o

Yes you guessed it, I'm rerunning DS9 :P

EnterNow wrote: »
    Alamarain, count to four
    Alamarain, then three more
    Alamarain, if you can see
    Alamarain, you'll come with me.

God, it's horrific. I'm of the minority who actually likes that ep though :o

Yes you guessed it, I'm rerunning DS9 :P

You'll be on Jeopardy in no time!

EDIT: Also, is it me or does the contestant look like a younger Boone?

DSN2-tribunal-ugly70sdude.jpg

• Advertisement

Watched Duet last night. Absolute gem of an episode, deals with the war criminal that ran the Gallitep mining camp. Definitely the pick of Season 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Watched Duet last night. Absolute gem of an episode, deals with the war criminal that ran the Gallitep mining camp. Definitely the pick of Season 1.

Yeah I always loved that episode. Season 1 of DS9 had a lot of good episodes, especially toward the end.

Yeah I always loved that episode. Season 1 of DS9 had a lot of good episodes, especially toward the end.

It's a struggle to get through the opening part of Season 1, but from about half way through you can see it coming into its own. It's well worth battling through it, as the purist in me hates skipping episodes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Aw man, I would have paid soooo much money if this had been built!

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2012/04/star-trek-uss-enterprise-las-vegas

Aw man, I would have paid soooo much money if this had been built!

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2012/04/star-trek-uss-enterprise-las-vegas

It would have been so cool, a full size replica of the Enterprise. But it looks wildly out of place, even in Las Vegas. It looks so weird in the mock up artwork you'd have to wonder would it have been a commercial success. If it were in a theme park now, that's where it'd fit in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Or if they made it into a hotel, rather than just a "sight"!!
    The transporter could not get me there fast enough

If that Voyager themed flat couldn't sell, I couldn't imagine a full-size replica of the Enterprise-D doing well. But just to be sure, the Enterprise-D has toilets in its schematics, right? :D

Seeing as it's Vegas, maybe a Ten-Forward replica could be built as a wedding hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

It's a struggle to get through the opening part of Season 1, but from about half way through you can see it coming into its own. It's well worth battling through it, as the purist in me hates skipping episodes :o

I'm picking through DS9 again, mainly Garak heavy episodes along with a few others just for the fun of it and fun it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Kiith wrote: »
    obama-uhura-388x580.jpg

:)

I was always a more janice rand fan meself.

:)

problems aside, she wasn't half bad an actress.

Well they certainly knew how to make better androids in the TOS days :p

292px-Andrea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Strangest thing happened last night - I found two episodes of Trek which I'd never seen! I'm rewatching DS9 at the moment. I had almost all of the episodes on VHS, watching them religiously and watched it all the time on TV but I'm going through the DVDs for the first time and got about five minutes into an episode and thought 'I don't remember this....'. I must have not bought the VHS of these two episodes for some reason (probably because I was 18, skint and the synopsies didn't interest me enough to spend £12.99 I didn't have on it), never plugged the hole in my VHS collection and then over time forgot it existed.

The episodes were 'Wrongs Darker than Death or Night' and 'Inquisition', both in the latter half of Season Six. The weird thing is that at the time I always thought that the Section 31 storyline didn't quite make sense to me, as if I'd missed where it had begun. 14 years later and the pieces have finally fallen into place...!

I love DS9. It's one of my favourite series of not just Trek but any TV show. I'd long since given up the chance of there ever being any new stories released with these characters yet in a way I found two last night.

Both those are good episodes, Sloan is a really good character and fits perfectly well when pitted against Bashir given his real and fantasy interest in spys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Both those are good episodes, Sloan is a really good character and fits perfectly well when pitted against Bashir given his real and fantasy interest in spys.

Really liked that episode, loved watching how Bashir deciphered the whole scenario and worked it out through all the small telltale signs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 poiuytsam

For me the best series was Voyager , and star trek the nest generations and of course the original. I never got into DS9 in any way , just never tickled my imagination !

Has anyone ever thought if they went further into the future , how the series would have evolved? what new inventions would have been in the very distaant future ? the transporter would have been old technology ?, perhaps time travel common place ?, perhaps a galatcic war would have stopped all civillisiation ?
    Or would the world have changed in the respect that , humans average life was 300+ , bones was 134 in 1 episode I think ? could you have manufactured humans as you wanted ?

just thoughts ?

poiuytsam wrote: »
    For me the best series was Voyager , and star trek the nest generations and of course the original. I never got into DS9 in any way , just never tickled my imagination !

Has anyone ever thought if they went further into the future , how the series would have evolved? what new inventions would have been in the very distaant future ? the transporter would have been old technology ?, perhaps time travel common place ?, perhaps a galatcic war would have stopped all civillisiation ?
    Or would the world have changed in the respect that , humans average life was 300+ , bones was 134 in 1 episode I think ? could you have manufactured humans as you wanted ?

just thoughts ?

TNG and Enterprise touched on some of those, both had time travel as an historical tool with Enterprise going a little further and having it as a weapon for war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I love DS9. It's one of my favourite series of not just Trek but any TV show. I'd long since given up the chance of there ever being any new stories released with these characters yet in a way I found two last night.

Ah don't be giving up that easy ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_novels#Deep_Space_Nine_.281993-present.29

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

OK OK Blink of an Eye.

Fantastic Voyager episode. After they got out, if I was Captain Janeway I would waited 2 weeks or so then go back in and go 'Hai sorry about the earthquakes, any cool inventions/technology you can give us?'

Am I making sense here? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Am I making sense here? :pac:

I remember thinking the exact same thing. But they probably had a non-interference policy where they wouldn't share technology....like, you know, every advanced race.

Advanced races are dicks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Kiith wrote: »
    I remember thinking the exact same thing. But they probably had a non-interference policy where they wouldn't share technology....like, you know, every advanced race.

Advanced races are dicks :pac:

Yea can ya imagine me going out to the desert or something and meeting a lost tribe and and they all dying off thirst. I could built them a well but they havent invented drilling yet. Oh though ****

I had a cool dream last night. I dreamt I was in ten forward and I ordered a lettuce sandwich with crisps and a cappuccino. So Guinan was making the lettuce sandwich in front of me and I remarked in my head, "for all the advances of the 24th century, they still make sandwiches by hand..."). Then as I was drinking my cappuccino the Enterprise was leaving a nebula and the borg cube appears out of nowhere. Solid holographic projections of ships commandered by holograms like Moriarity were fired out as decoys and destroyed in quick succession by the cube. Then smaller cubes within the cube began to rotate. I was amazed by this. Suddenly my com badge beeped and I was called to the bridge but I was just standing there going "wooaah! This is why Q Who and The Best of Both World were so epic and sent chills down my spine. This is awesome" as I was requested on the bridge at engineering and tactical over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I had a cool dream last night. I dreamt I was in ten forward and I ordered a lettuce sandwich with crisps and a cappuccino. So Guinan was making the lettuce sandwich in front of me and I remarked in my head, "for all the advances of the 24th century, they still make sandwiches by hand..."). Then as I was drinking my cappuccino the Enterprise was leaving a nebula and the borg cube appears out of nowhere. Solid holographic projections of ships commandered by holograms like Moriarity were fired out as decoys and destroyed in quick succession by the cube. Then smaller cubes within the cube began to rotate. I was amazed by this. Suddenly my com badge beeped and I was called to the bridge but I was just standing there going "wooaah! This is why Q Who and The Best of Both World were so epic and sent chills down my spine. This is awesome" as I was requested on the bridge at engineering and tactical over and over again.

That's not what most people would define as cool

al28283 wrote: »
    That's not what most people would define as cool

People don't know and have never known what cool is.. I do however.

I just finished watching DS9 Sacrifice of Angels and even though it's a good episode I was surprised at some of the scenes, the Cardassian Security guard and the souffle was a terrible scene, he had his ear to the souffle so Ziyal could be in a position to use the hypo-spray on him, it didn't get much better on the escape since Kira and Rom managed to leave the security office armed and get to a cargo bay even though the promenade is frequently shown with armed Jem'Hadar, nit picking yes but still. The other part that raised an eyebrow was when the station is first shown in the episode there are plenty of Jem'Hadar and Cardassian ships in the area but when the Defiant shows up all these ships are no where to be seen, then once the Defiant exits the wormhole and fires on the station there's suddenly enough ships to evacuate Dominion and Cardassian personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

People don't know and have never known what cool is.. I do however.

I'd define it as cool.

• Advertisement

I'd define it as cool.

Exactly, its cool when you think you're in ten forward on the Enterprise and then you wake up and realize it was all a dream. It doesn't happen very often and it's the next best thing to a holodeck.

Advertisement