Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another EU referendum on the way

Options
  • 08-12-2011 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1208/eurozone.html

Once again we will be expected to agree to give more sovereignty to EU and accept being screwed over further while being fed a constant stream of lies about how further integration is better for us and will give us the jobs and prosperity that never arrived when we voted yes to Lisbon.

The likes of Sarkozy and Merkel will be accusing us of holding up Europe and being wreckless and all this nonsense if we vote no.

This time I'm seriously thinking of putting some new slogans on all those FF posters I took down and hanging them up around the place.

"Vote Yes, we can't afford another referendum"

"Vote Yes, make the ultimate sacrifice for Europe"

"Vote Yes, help keep the Euro alive for another year"

Comments

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*Opens link*

*Spots picture of Lucinda Creighton*

"It's a no from me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Vote yes, it doesn't matter either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

We better hope that they even let us have a referendum and that they don't just push the changes through on their own :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'll be voting no, once and once only..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Atari Jaguar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Yay! lets make up our mind before we know what the question is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Guarantee you it will be tax harmonisation and our corporation tax.

Even if it means going to the polls a dozen times I'm voting "NO" on this one.

I'm not agreeing to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Atari Jaguar

Atari Ja!.....guar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

eth0 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1208/eurozone.html

Once again we will be expected to agree to give more sovereignty to EU and accept being screwed over further while being fed a constant stream of lies about how further integration is better for us and will give us the jobs and prosperity that never arrived when we voted yes to Lisbon.

The likes of Sarkozy and Merkel will be accusing us of holding up Europe and being wreckless and all this nonsense if we vote no.

This time I'm seriously thinking of putting some new slogans on all those FF posters I took down and hanging them up around the place.

"Vote Yes, we can't afford another referendum"

"Vote Yes, make the ultimate sacrifice for Europe"

"Vote Yes, help keep the Euro alive for another year"

I hope there isn't one.
    Simply because I cannot be fucked having to read this kind of shit masquerading as an opinion for months beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Vote for Jim Corr!

Abortions for All!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shattered Dreamer

Don't you follow the news? France & Germany want a treaty amendment to take more economic sovereignty from the member states & give it to the EU parliament in Brussels. I will be voting no because giving away more sovereignty to save what is clearly a sinking ship is pure stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

RichieC wrote: »
    Vote yes, it doesn't matter either way.

On your own.

If you want to be part of an undemocratic, authoritarian setup full of unelected bureaucrats - then speak for yourself...

The people of Ireland will say "no" - there is no two ways about it. The fact of the matter is that as a people - we do not want further European union integration. When will you Eurotrons accept that? We don't want to be a part of your economic prison, totalitarian wet dream - get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

There won't be a referendum. Nothing the EU can promise us will be worth giving up control of our corporate tax rates and budgets and the Govt know that which is why they're pushing for alternatives to treaty change.

Also the UK Govt are against treaty change too as it could force them into a referendum on the UK's continued membership of the EU.

Furthermore the proposed Financial transactions tax either won't happpen if the French and Germans insist on it being across the 27 (the UK will veto it affecting the City) or if it's Eurozone only it will just mean a flood of market movement to the City, the States and other markets to avoid the tax.

Debt restructuring and extending the debt loans to bailed out countries over a much longer of time like the reconstruction costs and reparations for WW2 is what's needed and the central EU Govts are slowly starting to drag their electorates towards understanding that.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Guarantee you it will be tax harmonisation and our corporation tax.

Even if it means going to the polls a dozen times I'm voting "NO" on this one.

rate or base?

betcha it wont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Alright people, lets just pick the correct choice first time so our Government don't make us repeat the process until we give the answer they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

you have to admire how the eu came to power with no elected officials

I'll be voting no in the first referendum, probably be bullied & lied to in the 2nd referendum to vote yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Won't somebody please think of the children!

• Advertisement

Don't you follow the news? France & Germany want a treaty amendment to take more economic sovereignty from the member states & give it to the EU parliament in Brussels. I will be voting no because giving away more sovereignty to save what is clearly a sinking ship is pure stupidity.

yes i do. and i see 2 countries that are going to have to bargain with 25 other ones and come out with something to propose that has a chance of success.

Read the question before you answer it. Thats the reason we have multiple referendums on this crap, because nobody reads the questions. just makes up their mind on hysteria and election posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

rate or base?

betcha it wont

The German-French plan is based on the following key provisions:
    • the European Commission to have the power to impose penalties for nations that run excessive budget deficits
    • all 17 eurozone nations should amend their national legislation to require balanced budgets
    • the eurozone countries to have common corporation and financial transaction taxes
    • any future bailouts would not require private investors to absorb part of the costs, as happened in the Greece case

betcha it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Won't somebody please think of the children!

The fecking children won't think of me will they?! All they think about is how they can get their hands on another XBOX 360 or iPad 2 or whatever Chinese fad of the month is in vogue now.

I hope to God we get the Punt Nua and that it will be so worthless nobody including myself can afford so much as a single electric toaster from China and we'll get back to normality after the consumerist binge of the past few decades.

TheZohan wrote: »
    betcha it will.

whats that from? because the letter was talking about base, everyone else is talking about the rate of 12.5%.

besides doesnt mean its going to be in the treaty. as i sadi, lets wait for the question before answering it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So what's the question likely to be?

Why don't they just charge ahead and hold referenda on the formation of a wholly federalised Eurozone and have done with it? Maybe that way we could get rid of some of the bloat in our own government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

whats that from? because the letter was talking about base, everyone else is talking about the rate of 12.5%.

besides doesnt mean its going to be in the treaty. as i sadi, lets wait for the question before answering it

They'll set the base rate to 12.5 and get us to accept the treaty promising 'no change' then they'll start increasing it in a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

KerranJast wrote: »
    There won't be a referendum.

B-b-but people have already decided they're going to vote no!
    We'll have to have one so they can get that out of their system in case a real referendum comes around and they'd do something as monumentally stupid as decide how they're going to vote on an issue before they know what the issue is.

eth0 wrote: »
    They'll set the base rate to 12.5 and get us to accept the treaty promising 'no change' then they'll start increasing it in a few years

any chance of the lotto numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Abortions for All!

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ok then, abortions for some, little Irish flags for others.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Advertisement