Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Mothers to stage a protest at budget cuts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

scholar007 wrote: »
    Type in single mothers in google and tell me the next word that comes up.

Single mothers by choice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Do I watch the Hills?
    I have never watched it in my life actually.
    What are you on about?

Your use of Mom. It's the mark of a low IQ. A very low IQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

will they congregate? we can't protest like they do in Cairo; they've a very

spacious Tahrir Square. March from Parnell Sq. to Dail via O'Connell Street ad nauseum....waste of time zzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

So whats so bad about the budget for single mothers?
    I don't know why child benefit increases for each extra child you have, why does it cost more to have a 2nd child than the first, more for the 3rd child than the second?
    It encourages 'career mothers'. You shouldn't really be having 3
    + children if you are depending on the state to fund them

So imo it makes sense to reduce the rate of child benefit from the 3rd child on.

But they should means test it so that only parents who need child benefit get it, why pay child benefit to family's who are just putting it in the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Your use of Mom. It's the mark of a low IQ. A very low IQ.

Or growing up on the south side of Dublin possibly?

What do you say?
    "Me ma"? - or some other term that is the height of sophistication I'm sure. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

justryan wrote: »
    Single mothers by choice

Allowance = moolah = dosh = readies = spondulicks = folding stuff = yoyos

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What exactly would you expect the next word in that string to be?

Type 'Dumb and' into Google and tell me the next word that comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

do these people not hear of protection! My god! Wear a condom, go on the pill and dont be going round acting the idiot! Like f*ck I think people should be paid for sleeping round. If ya cant afford kids dont have them!

*runs away and hides*

Allowance = moolah = dosh = readies = spondulicks = folding stuff = yoyos

Kanoe wrote: »
    it really is a kick in the nuts to this vulnerable part of society

What a woeful comparison :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Let's do a poll.

How many of the AH posters rarely see their kid/s they had with an ex-girlfriend..and it's ALL the ex-girlfriends fault? Because in many cases, these ex-girlfriends are the 'single mothers' referred to here.

ALOT I would imagine is the answer..from the sh!te some of them are spouting in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Dummer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

@Fittle Wut? :confused:

I can confirm this happens, my sister's boyfriend did a runner but she lives in a three bedroomed house. Seems a fecking waste to me.

I'm sure she won't be long filling it up :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't know why child benefit increases for each extra child you have, why does it cost more to have a 2nd child than the first, more for the 3rd child than the second?

This baffles me as well. Surely the nature of things would mean it's somewhat cheaper having a second or third kid thanks to hand-me-downs and so on.

Listen, I get this is going to affect some people who aren't scangers or the likes. And I wouldn't want to see anyone have a kid go hungry cause of the budget. BUT there is a culture in certain sections of society who have kids young as a lifestyle choice. Living in Drogheda, I've seen girls who come 15 or 16 have multiple kids because it sets them up for life. They know having a few kids means they're going to be able to afford quite a decent lifestyle. As someone who did everything "right" in terms of working hard and going through the education system, it sickens me to see some of the people I went to school with drop out at 16, have kids by 17, have a flashy car by 18 and their own house by 21. Meanwhile I'm stuck at home desperatly seeking a job and being encourage by the government to **** off out of the country.

Is it fair to punish everyone because of this? No. But nor is it fair to reward people for having multiple kids they cannot afford. If you have a kid, it should be because you've made the conscious decision to have one after weighing up the finanical options involved. If you have one by accident, or if you have one with someone who buggers off, there should be asisstance available. But it's completly unfair to ask the government and the tax payer to pay for a kid you had but were not able to raise. If its a mistake, in the short or long run, you should be be rewarded. It should be an assistance scheme, not a reward scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

So whats so bad about the budget for single mothers?
    It encourages 'career mothers'. You shouldn't really be having 3
    + children if you are depending on the state to fund them

So imo it makes sense to reduce the rate of child benefit from the 3rd child on.

But they should means test it so that only parents who need child benefit get it, why pay child benefit to family's who are just putting it in the bank?
    I know it's AH and all but, childrens allowance has nothing to do with single parents allowance. Your mother got this allowance for you when you were eligible. Even Bono can claim this allowance. It is a general once a month payment you get in Ireland if you have kids, regardless of how much you earn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

I'm sure she won't be long filling it up :D

Now, now, that's my sister, she can't help her boyfriend is a scumbag, sthey were together years, she's a good mother.

Does pee me off she's in a three bedroomed house and hardly pays any of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Zulu wrote: »
    @Fittle Wut? :confused:

Single mothers are single, in the majority of cases because their partners (at the time) decide they don't really want to be fathers after the fact. Not all single mothers have one night stands in CFJs and don't know the fathers. In fact, the majority of single mothers were in long term relationships with men who thought 'Meh, this isn't for me' after she got pregnant.

My guess is there are alot of AH posters who thought 'Meh, this isn't for me'..and walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Fittle wrote: »

My guess is there are alot of AH posters who thought 'Meh, this isn't for me'..and walked away.

Your correct on that one, I'm posting this from a small island in the South Pacific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Single mothers are single, in the majority of cases because their partners (at the time) decide they don't really want to be fathers after the fact..................

How can you possibly come out with such a statement, unless you have conducted a survey on the subject?

Pure speculation and conjecture on your behalf I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Is this about One-parent family allowance?

Many lone parents are neither single nor mothers.

Regarding getting the absent parent to pay at source, what if the absent parent absconds the jurisdiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There are single mothers, who don't want to be single mothers...but the father's fcuked off. The men can just leave and the woman are left holding the baby.
    Well if they know who the father is then he can be brought to court and made contribute.

To be honest, I think the motorists should be out protesting instead of the single mothers. They're getting screwed over more. At least the single mothers can now earn over twice what they previously could before they have to pay the USC.

Not all single mothers have one night stands in CFJs and don't know the fathers.

Any news on the bird in CFJs who was looking for the stud from Cork to make contact after nearly a year and a half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Single mothers are single, in the majority of cases because their partners (at the time) decide they don't really want to be fathers after the fact. Not all single mothers have one night stands in CFJs and don't know the fathers. In fact, the majority of single mothers were in long term relationships with men who thought 'Meh, this isn't for me' after she got pregnant.

Fair enough

Fathers should be financially involved in the upbringing of their child,not the Taxpayers,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Any news on the bird in CFJs who was looking for the stud from Cork to make contact after nearly a year and a half?

You mean this bird?

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg862/scaled.php?tn=0&server=862&filename=1oxit.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

She'll be at the protest one suspects.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Single mothers are single, in the majority of cases because their partners (at the time) decide they don't really want to be fathers after the fact.

So? We should feel sorry for the mother who made the judgement call to have a kid with this person? We should reward people for their mistakes and bad judgement calls?

Regardless of whether its a decision to have a one night stand or a kid while in a relationship, the fact remains people should not be rewarded for having kids they cannot afford. Even, again, if its a mistake, they should not be rewarded. They should be helped to begin with. But not in a way that encourages them to have a second kid. It should be the responsibility of the parents, even if its a deadbeat Dad who thinks "I made the mistake but screw it, I'm out of here.", not the responsibility of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Fathers should be financially involved in the upbringing of their child,not the Taxpayers,

Should the father of the child be solely responsible for paying for all the needs of both the mother and child/children, including rent, bills, clothes, food, buggies etc etc...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

In fact, the majority of single mothers were in long term relationships with men who thought 'Meh, this isn't for me' after she got pregnant.

Oh please :rolleyes: It's a well known fact that 99% of AHers are virgins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Should the father of the child be solely responsible for paying for all the needs of both the mother and child/children, including rent, bills, clothes, food, buggies etc etc...?

it takes two to tango

There is a legal responsibility in Ireland on parents, whether married or unmarried, to maintain dependent children and on spouses/civil partners to maintain each other in accordance with their means. Maintenance can be paid periodically (i.e., weekly or monthly) or in a lump sum. In Ireland, paying maintenance does not in itself give a parent access or guardianship rights.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/separation_and_divorce/maintenance_orders_and_agreements.html

Fathers/Mothers are responsible for paying for all the needs of child/children

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement