Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donedeal and the likes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

all my dogs are mongrels and there's nothing wrong with them

You trying to stir things??I never mentioned anything bad about mongrels so I dont know what youre getting at with that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Hellrazer wrote: »
    mongrels with mental names .

that implies if its a mongrel its bad and i'm not stirring things just wondering whats wrong with mongrels

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

that implies if its a mongrel its bad and i'm not stirring things just wondering whats wrong with mongrels

You really need to read posts/threads before posting.The discussion was about "designer breeds" ie mongrels with mental names.Nothing bad there except the name.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

That's a whole different thread, but why don't you go and start one and we all tell you what we think. I think the OP here has enough going on already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How does it imply that?? You are just twisting words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I think you might be being a little defensive.

By "mongrels with crazy names" think "Labradoodle" or a "Goldador" etc., not Rosco your loyal friend who eats your shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Mongrel is an unfortunate term but cross breed isn't much better. Both have been used as terms of derision. A couple of dictionary definitions:

"An inferior dog or one of mixed breed"

"Derogatory term for a variation that is not genuine; something irregular or inferior or of dubious origin"

In a way I actually prefer using the breed names. My little guy is a Lab Collie & I am surprised that this mix has never become a designer breed. He is like a half sized Labrador, with all the gentleness & temperament that goes with this breed combined with the intelligent & vitality of a Collie.
    He is just about the perfect family dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭zoby

OP if you are still looking to get a Bichon then i would recommend you do a lot of research (obviously your threads here have been a great start!) to familiarise youself with what a bichon should look like - it may seem obvious but there is seems to be a huge difference in a lot of the bichons i see, there is the long legs/long backs/long snouts - if you look at the breed standard you will get an idea of things like the equilateral spacing between the eyes and nose and the importantance of pigment. Steer clear off puppies with obvious tear stains - most bichons will suffer with staining but it usually starts with teething.

With dondeal I would immediately cross out the dogs that are advertised with bows tied around them and also the ads that cant even spell Bichon Frise :rolleyes: Also if you google Bichon Frise and familiarise yourself with the top images you will be surprised how often those photos will be used on ads (there was one stage that the same photo was being used over and over again by different "breeders" when i checked it was one of the first photos that showed up on google - yes i did report each and every one to donedeal :mad:)

Just to let you know i got my girl from a byb in the local free ads paper and she is a very healthy happy perfectly formed with lovely dark pigment and no tear stains - BUT my other dog that i got the same day from the same byb has been so unhealthy and badly bred i would never ever go down that route again - yes i saved an initial €300 but the vet has recouped that saving over and over again :( not to mention the heartbreak of having a sick dog.

good luck with your search :)

Discodog wrote: »
    Mongrel is an unfortunate term but cross breed isn't much better. Both have been used as terms of derision. A couple of dictionary definitions:

"An inferior dog or one of mixed breed"

"Derogatory term for a variation that is not genuine; something irregular or inferior or of dubious origin"

My post wasnt meant in any type of derogatory manner-Ive explained it already so theres no need for you jump on the band wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Honestly, I have no idea why these threads are tolerated here (while admitting that in the past I've participated in them). Not the OP's original enquiry, which was reasonable but the polarizing debate it's become. I appreciate that several of the mods for this (and other) of the forums have strong views on this but the threads always degenerate into these 'pedigree versus everything else' debates which anyone who owns an 'everything else' ends up taking personally since sweeping generalisations (without factual but with anecdotal evidence) get made which hurt feelings. The pedigree faction on the other hand feel that the expenses incurred in ethically breeding a 'pb' dog is warranted and the only way puppies should be produced. In the end this isn't the purpose of the OP's question and it isn't the purpose of the vast majority of the threads.

These threads would be much shorter if people (on both sides) restricted themselves to provable facts (with references) rather then emotion or opinion. It would also be much more pertinent to the OP's query.

To close off - here are our two dogs, one a 'cross/mongrel/whatever' and the other is a pure breed - both are wonderful, willful and entertaining mutts without whom our lives would be poorer ;)

2011-10-07100221.jpg

• Advertisement

Em, last time i looked this was a Discussions board, not a facts board so there is nothing wrong with people giving their thoughts and opinions on things, theres no law against it so i dont see what the problem is by doing this.

This thread is not Pedigree v's Mongrels at all so not sure how you are getting that idea from it?? :confused:

Hrm - don't want to get into specifics but...

A variety of the people posting in this thread have made references to things being facts (please feel free to go back through for instances of this), when, in fact, the statements being made are opinions or beliefs, abet with anecdotal evidence but no statistical proof. Beliefs are subject to personal bias, facts (within certain constraints) are not. Beliefs general 'discussions' which escalate, facts are static regardless of whether we like them or not. Basically, many of the posts state "X is a fact, which cannot be denied" when X is the posters belief, not a fact. So, either post things as opinions and have debate or just post facts I guess is my point, don't play mix and match with the two. Many of the forums here remove any post which says 'X is a fact' unless the poster can actually back that up with references, a very responsible attitude and one which I'd love to see adopted here.

Mongrel versus pb - many of the posts refer to pedigree, a history of the dogs lineage, maintained in Ireland by one of two registries. Neither registry recognise mongrels so by inference I can determine that if someone is referring to a dog with pedigree they are excluding dogs without that recorded ancestry. When a whole bunch of the posts previously made in this thread have pedigree as a condition of the dog being discussed and non-pedigree being implied to be an undesirable trait I arrive at the conclusion that we're talking about pure breed v mongrel - not unreasonable I would have said.

Mate--you have me lost-totally lost.Ive read your posts a few times and Im confused with what they have to do with this thread.

The thread is about whether or not to purchase a dog from an advertising website.Whether thats a pedigree or not is not the issue.

This thread is not about pedigree versus mongrel.

The pedigree versus mongrel is another thread for a different days discussion.

Evac101 wrote: »
    Honestly, I have no idea why these threads are tolerated here (while admitting that in the past I've participated in them). Not the OP's original enquiry, which was reasonable but the polarizing debate it's become. I appreciate that several of the mods for this (and other) of the forums have strong views on this but the threads always degenerate into these 'pedigree versus everything else' debates which anyone who owns an 'everything else' ends up taking personally since sweeping generalisations (without factual but with anecdotal evidence) get made which hurt feelings. The pedigree faction on the other hand feel that the expenses incurred in ethically breeding a 'pb' dog is warranted and the only way puppies should be produced. In the end this isn't the purpose of the OP's question and it isn't the purpose of the vast majority of the threads.

These threads would be much shorter if people (on both sides) restricted themselves to provable facts (with references) rather then emotion or opinion. It would also be much more pertinent to the OP's query.

To close off - here are our two dogs, one a 'cross/mongrel/whatever' and the other is a pure breed - both are wonderful, willful and entertaining mutts without whom our lives would be poorer ;)

2011-10-07100221.jpg
    Hrm - don't want to get into specifics but...

A variety of the people posting in this thread have made references to things being facts (please feel free to go back through for instances of this), when, in fact, the statements being made are opinions or beliefs, abet with anecdotal evidence but no statistical proof. Beliefs are subject to personal bias, facts (within certain constraints) are not. Beliefs general 'discussions' which escalate, facts are static regardless of whether we like them or not. Basically, many of the posts state "X is a fact, which cannot be denied" when X is the posters belief, not a fact. So, either post things as opinions and have debate or just post facts I guess is my point, don't play mix and match with the two. Many of the forums here remove any post which says 'X is a fact' unless the poster can actually back that up with references, a very responsible attitude and one which I'd love to see adopted here.

Mongrel versus pb - many of the posts refer to pedigree, a history of the dogs lineage, maintained in Ireland by one of two registries. Neither registry recognise mongrels so by inference I can determine that if someone is referring to a dog with pedigree they are excluding dogs without that recorded ancestry. When a whole bunch of the posts previously made in this thread have pedigree as a condition of the dog being discussed and non-pedigree being implied to be an undesirable trait I arrive at the conclusion that we're talking about pure breed v mongrel - not unreasonable I would have said.

I've subsequently reread the thread (not something I'll be attempting a third time). I was way off base with the pb comment - there's only a single example in an otherwise well thought out post which specifically calls it that way. I suspect that following the links to threads from this thread I got confused. I would say that the implication in many of the posts however (rightly or wrongly) is that no-one who's is not engaged in breeding pb's will have had their pets health/hip/etc tested (which seems likely - why go to the expense) and, in a leap of logic which seems unreasonable, will be incapable of producing reliably healthy litters.

On the facts thing I feel even more strongly that many of the posts in this thread introduce as proven many things which are never shown to be true, the authority posting style notwithstanding. I'm not going to post examples, though I had compiled a bunch of what I felt were peaches, as I noticed it was the same 2-3 posters that I was drawing from and I didn't want to feel like I was targeting posters in particular but rather the overall attitude of "Credo propterea verum est"* which was prevalent in the thread. I'm all for reasoned debate, but to have that both sides have to agree what the foundation for debate is and that can't be accomplished when both sides are introducing contradictory 'facts' based on their personal experience.

*I believe it therefore it is true. Sad, sad Catholic school education...

Thats the second post where you are accusing posters of posting something but yet you cant show us the posts which you refer to?:rolleyes:

The two part second post where I say in my third post - my bad on the pb thing, not going to post examples of the first paragraph because it came to my attention that it was the same 2-3 people who kept making statements I felt were either misleading, wrong, unsubstantiated or a case of someone feeling so strongly about a subject that they've presented their beliefs as fait acompli facts and then based their argument on them?

Aye, that's the one, and I'm still not going to post them because now it would seem even more like I was attempting to target specific posters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

The two part second post where I say in my third post - my bad on the pb thing, not going to post examples of the first paragraph because it came to my attention that it was the same 2-3 people who kept making statements I felt were either misleading, wrong, unsubstantiated or a case of someone feeling so strongly about a subject that they've presented their beliefs as fait acompli facts and then based their argument on them?

Aye, that's the one, and I'm still not going to post them because now it would seem even more like I was attempting to target specific posters :)

If you quote the posts you have a problem with maybe the poster can clarify their post for you, you could maybe even discusss them. Other than that I don't see why you are bringing the posts up.

What does the bit in bold even mean:confused:

Please quote the posts so we can see what you are on about, im completely lost:confused: If you arent prepared to do this then we havent a clue who or what you are on about...

andreac wrote: »
    Please quote the posts so we can see what you are on about, im completely lost:confused: If you arent prepared to do this then we havent a clue who or what you are on about...

Please do as Im completely lost aswell.Maybe with some quotes your posts will have meaning but until then myself and Id say most of the posters here are completely stumped.

Thats the second post where you are accusing posters of posting something but yet you cant show us the posts which you refer to?:rolleyes:
    myself wrote:
    Aye, that's the one

Explained I hope?

Each of the posts up until now was, genuinely, if mistakenly in the case of half of the first post, actually trying to reduce the amount of hyperbole being introduced here Irush, at this point I seem to actually stimulating it - the exact opposite of my original aim. By delving into particulars I feel I'd only contribute further so with respect, no. If you're curious please go through a second time (as I did), perhaps you'll view things with a more critical (in terms of provenance) eye or perhaps you'll feel I've misunderstood, or even that I'm just a loon. In any case it's in your hands.

Edit: Sending examples by PM to the three that requested them as a, hopefully, happy median between not obfuscating and equally not being a random a$$hat starting trouble on a thread for fun.

• Advertisement

Explained I hope?

Each of the posts up until now was, genuinely, if mistakenly in the case of half of the first post, actually trying to reduce the amount of hyperbole being introduced here Irush, at this point I seem to actually stimulating it - the exact opposite of my original aim. By delving into particulars I feel I'd only contribute further so with respect, no. If you're curious please go through a second time (as I did), perhaps you'll view things with a more critical (in terms of provenance) eye or perhaps you'll feel I've misunderstood, or even that I'm just a loon. In any case it's in your hands.

Huh???? :confused:

Explained I hope?

Not a hope.

Google translate is not working on this one.Is there any chance you could speak English--thats the language we use here in the Animals and Pets forum.

Now if you dont start to explain what you are on about Im going to go into mod mode as I feel that you are now trolling despite me having asked you on more than one occasion to explain your posts.

This is your final chance to at least throw some light on your posts before I take further action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

myself wrote:
    Aye, that's the one

Explained I hope?

With the greatest respect I can't see the posts through your eyes so you'll have to quote & explained your opinion or else your not making any sense (to me anyway)

Evac, why dont you post what you put in the PM to me on here instead of sending it privately, :rolleyes:

Now if you dont start to explain what you are on about Im going to go into mod mode as I feel that you are now trolling despite me having asked you on more than one occasion to explain your posts.

This is your final chance to at least throw some light on your posts before I take further action.

Posted some brief examples to you via pm since I didn't want this turning into a thing, however, if you feel I'm trolling please take appropriate action. I don't feel that at any point I've been insulting, rude, discriminatory or in any other way inappropriate. It could be argued that I've been vague or even cryptic but I wasn't aware these were against the charter. In summation you seem to be using a very big stick for a very small problem in my view but if it seems to you that it's a proportional response to my posts up to this point then that's your discretion as a mod here.

Evac, why dont you post what you put in the PM to me on here instead of sending it privately, :rolleyes:

Like I said, all the posts I spotted were from the same small bunch of people, I didn't want any of them to take any references as personal attacks - people get funny that way :(

Posted some brief examples to you via pm since I didn't want this turning into a thing,

But it is turning into a thing which I have explained to you via my reply to your pm.
    however, if you feel I'm trolling please take appropriate action.
    You see Im not sure you are--others feel that you are but Im still on the fence.
    I don't feel that at any point I've been insulting, rude, discriminatory or in any other way inappropriate.
    No you havent but you have been
    vague or even cryptic

but I wasn't aware these were against the charter.
    No theyre not in themselves but a mod asking you to explain the posts and prove you are not trolling is which I have asked more than once on this thread.
    In summation you seem to be using a very big stick for a very small problem in my view but if it seems to you that it's a proportional response to my posts up to this point then that's your discretion as a mod here.

More vagueness to be honest.I cant see the so called " problem" because you wont explain it.

This seems to be turning into two different things - one of which is a case where I seem to have prodded the sleeping bear >.<

However, as instructed by HR and feeling that it's unlikely that Andreac will take it the wrong way, the examples I PM'd to the interested were:

Poster1: If you buy from an amature breeder/byb it doesn't automatically mean you'll have health problems futher down the line.
    Poster2: But the chances are very high the dog will or could be sick no reference for this as proof
    Poster2 later: I've seen the results several times over of pups and dogs that were bought from byb's and puppy farmers anedotal, not imperical
    Poster2 again: Of course, anything is possible. I never said all litters. Its not scaremongering, its reality, end of. the thrust of of the discussion at this point was that it was unlikely in the poster opinion to get a healthy dog from the likes of Donedeal etc, once again, based on their personal experience not on any published references. While it may well be true, it's not proven until it's proven

No link or other actual evidence produced to support any of these views. I appreciate that people are very committed to this subject, I get that it's very emotive but opinion != fact. This isn't intended as an attack on anyone or directed at any particular poster - these were the first examples I found dipping in at around page 9 to look for examples to PM.

On the second matter I'm not going to debate it further HR, I didn't intend to troll and if you felt I was, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Any of the old folks on the site who know me in RL will tell you that generally I don't indulge in that type of behaviour - it's fattening and while I enjoy it sometimes I couldn't do it all the time ;)

My post wasnt meant in any type of derogatory manner-Ive explained it already so theres no need for you jump on the band wagon.

No need to be so assumptive & touchy - it wasn't aimed at you. We all use the word Mongrel because there isn't a well understood substitute. Mutt is just as bad. It's just unfortunate that the word can convey a derogatory meaning like "bitch" - why should innocent female dogs be associated with a slang term for women. Even calling a woman a "dog" is an insult yet we all love our dogs.

• Advertisement

Evac 101

I have read all of your posts & I do not have a clue about what you are trying to say.

People will post anecdotally & their posts can be extremely valuable because they may be based on many years of experience. Some of the people on this forum have a huge amount of experience with dogs. Some are even qualified.

This is not an academic forum & even if it were there is often very little real data because, especially in Ireland, the research has never been done. As you are so keen on pure data then why not do a study & follow a hundred owners who buy off websites.

You are correct that nothing can be proved but no one has suggested that it can. All that people have done is express the belief that there is a greater element of risk associated with a Puppy that comes from an irresponsible breeder. This belief is backed up by their experiences & knowledge. It is also backed up by Vets, responsible breeders, the ISPCA & many other animal charities who also have a great deal of experience.

Advertisement