Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Ya I think it was a serious mistake to get rid of the height restriction from the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Sundried tomatoes are crap. Give me fresh tomatoes any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Weight Watchers, Unislim and Slimming World are a complete waste of time. All that pint/syn/calorie counting and going to "meetings" designed to be like AA so one can feel a sense of belonging and absolution for their greed. You are not addicts, you just eat too much. Clever marketing makes you spend a fiver on "special" biscuits when you'd be better off buying a bag of apples. You dont need special food and chewy sweets and shakes. You just need to know when to stop eating.

Isn't doing too much of something potentially destructive the whole meaning of addiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Or as Jim Royle so succinctly put it:

"Weight Watchers?! A room full of fat-arsed women paying a fortune to be told not to shovel food into their gobs!"

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

Rasheed wrote: »
    Ya I think it was a serious mistake to get rid of the height restriction from the guards.

I disagree, you don't need to be 6 foot plus to be able to handle yourself.
    I mean, it certainly helps with the old reach advantage but there are plenty of shorter lads who are no pushover.

That Conor McGregor lad, for example, is only 5'8. I reckon he'd safely knock lumps out of plenty of lads who dwarf him. Yes, he's a professional fighter, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

You are not addicts, you just eat too much.

Not a fan of slimming clubs but they don't tell people they're addicts. :confused:

Though sugar can be considered addictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I know a guy who lost loads of weight when he joined Weightwatchers. If it works, it works.
    Sometimes female cops on the beat are necessary too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I remember seeing a female Garda take down a scummer with a proficiency, a speed and a ferocity that was quite unbelievable. Knee to the neck, handcuffs on, then knee in the back as she lamped him into the back of the squad car.

Most female Gardaí I know would eat most scumbags for breakfast. They are not to be fúcked with. Garda Irongee and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Tarzana wrote: »
    Not a fan of slimming clubs but they don't tell people they're addicts. :confused:

So it seems.

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-sugar-affects-the-brain-nicole-avena

• Registered Users Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not another Google World Cup doodle...yes we get it, the World Cup is on. *yawn*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

cactusgal wrote: »
    Bringing your kids to the Body and Soul festival is weird. All the kids I saw there looked bored and miserable.

It's like bringing kids to Mass...but for non Mass goers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Most people who claim addictions are just lack of will power haven't a clue what addiction,any addiction is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

The cinema.

I just don't get it.....!

It costs a bomb, you have to be quiet for two hours, theres always someone kicking your chair, you always have a near miss experience with sticky sweets or chewing gum and films these days are muck!!!!!

I never understood why couples go there on a sunday night or go on a first date, better off going for a bitta grub n a ride !

Every weekend he asks if I'd like to go to the cinema...

I'm running out of excuses !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

realies wrote: »
    Most people who claim addictions are just lack of will power haven't a clue what addiction,any addiction is all about.
    People like to think it's something that wouldn't happen to them, so they consider addicts weak. Sure it could never happen to them, they have willpower, they can put the bottle/fork/whatever down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Isn't doing too much of something potentially destructive the whole meaning of addiction.

If you have no control over whether or not you do it, as opposed to just...you know, wanting to do it and not being bothered to engage any willpower.

Tarzana wrote: »

I know that :confused:

I was referring to the fact that the meetings are set up to give that impression, that we somewhow need group support and weekly meetings in order to stop eating so much. There are women I know who have been going for years and it hasn't made the slightest difference - in fact I think they are getting bigger all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I know that :confused:

I was referring to the fact that the meetings are set up to give that impression, that we somewhow need group support and weekly meetings in order to stop eating so much. There are women I know who have been going for years and it hasn't made the slightest difference - in fact I think they are getting bigger all the time!

Some people do need help in losing weight and some of these types of groups work for them. Some bloaters are never going to stop sticking pies down their gullets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,113 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

realies wrote: »

That's pretty much what an addiction is...

It's a bit like redefining "wet" as "something that isn't dry"...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Um....no. Do you know anything about the neuroscience behind addiction? It's far more than just wanting another custard cream!

No, you're confusing habit with addiction. Many people have formed bad habits and do things by choice which they can stop with a bit of willpower. A person with an addiction cannot control how they use it and need it to cope with daily life. A person with a full blown addiction will need professional help to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No, you're confusing habit with addiction. Many people have formed bad habits and do things by choice which they can stop with a bit of willpower. A person with an addiction cannot control how they use it and need it to cope with daily life. A person with a full blown addiction will need professional help to stop.

This is all a bit ad-hoc, though. My wife smoked 20-40 a day for more than 10 years, and then quit cold turkey on her very first try.

Does that mean she was not addicted, that it was just a habit?

This is all a bit ad-hoc, though. My wife smoked 20-40 a day for more than 10 years, and then quit cold turkey on her very first try.

Does that mean she was not addicted, that it was just a habit?

I'll be honest, as someone who smoked for over 15 years and who gave up 18 months ago, I think it is only a miniscule amount of people that are truly addicted to nicotine, for the rest of us it is in fact only habit. The physiological effects of nicotine are gone within a couple of days and the rest of the time it's breaking the habits you've formed around smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Don't get all the obsession with foodies and food tv programs.
    'Celebrity' chefs...what next Celebrity bus drivers?
    Chefs become famous because they're good at what they do. Cooking to a high level is an artform. And because most people do it every day, it's easy to relate to.
    Bus drivers drive, motorsport is the highest level of driving, F1 being the top. And that's on telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'll be honest, as someone who smoked for over 15 years and who gave up 18 months ago, I think it is only a miniscule amount of people that are truly addicted to nicotine, for the rest of us it is in fact only habit. The physiological effects of nicotine are gone within a couple of days and the rest of the time it's breaking the habits you've formed around smoking.

A few years back my girlfriend and her mother went to that alan car thing to stop smoking, gf been at it for maybe 15 years her mother for probably 40. I though "fools and their money" Neither one has ever smoked again, not 1 single time even when out drinking and so on. It's one of the few things I've seen that has genuinely amazed me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Is that not what wet actually is?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Tough sh¡t if I am sitting in your favorite spot in 3 Southside pubs I frequent.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

karaokeman wrote: »
    Monica is better looking than Rachel in Friends.

Jennifer Aniston is really plain looking. Same with Julia Roberts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Suas11 wrote: »

I'd do all three personally!!

But yes, I'v always found Courtney Cox to be the prettiest out of the 3 female "Friends".

Just to clarify, I know that Lisa Kudrow is the third one. Just in case anyone suggests that I thought Julia Roberts was!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Suas11 wrote: »

Wrong about Jennifer, right about Julia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement