Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

THEZAPPA wrote: »
    I think the Irish sense of humour is based too much on sarcasm and people's honest opinions formed into "a laugh" and in fact most people are actually sly ****.

Of course they are.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I enjoyed the Mrs. Brown's Boys movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

THEZAPPA wrote: »
    I think the Irish sense of humour is based too much on sarcasm and people's honest opinions formed into "a laugh" and in fact most people are actually sly ****.
    Can be the case all right that some people use the "I'm only messing" line when they're not - they're being *****.
    Wouldn't say it's the case for most people though.

It's very Australian and British too, as well as Irish.

Irish people overestimate how popular they are with other nations, especially when they've drunkenly misbehaved and expect it to be shrugged off as those fun-lovin' Irish having the craic.

Magaggie wrote: »
    Can be the case all right that some people use the "I'm only messing" line when they're not - they're being *****.

Depends on the situation. My friends and I will slag the **** out of each other all night and that's grand. There's the odd person who joins the circle who just don't feel right to take insults from. :P

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    Irish people overestimate how popular they are with other nations, especially when they've drunkenly misbehaved and expect it to be shrugged off as those fun-lovin' Irish having the craic.

I think that's more annoying drunks than Irish people. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Jerk is an awful movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I think that's more annoying drunks than Irish people. :P

What's the difference? :confused:

*ducks for cover*

Magaggie wrote: »

Quite often, I have to say "I'm only messing" to someone because I 110% was only messing, but they've clearly thought I was being serious. It bugs the **** out of me when people think I'm being serious when I'm messing. You can see it in their face that they're instantly forming an opinion of me that I'm evil. Usually it's hostile tossers who need to get over themselves anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

You don't need to drink alcohol in excess to have a good time.

• Advertisement

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    You don't need to drink alcohol in excess to have a good time.

You definitely don't. Drinking alcohol in excess has only ever lead to a bad time for me.

But there is a stage there in between tipsy and locked that is really fun :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Candie wrote: »

In their county GAA jersey. Gobshytes.

whirlpool wrote: »
    Quite often, I have to say "I'm only messing" to someone because I 110% was only messing, but they've clearly thought I was being serious. It bugs the **** out of me when people think I'm being serious when I'm messing. You can see it in their face that they're instantly forming an opinion of me that I'm evil. Usually it's hostile tossers who need to get over themselves anyway.
    My mates reckon that's what's caused my lack of success with the ladies. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

MJ23 wrote: »
    In their county GAA jersey. Gobshytes.

but of course the rugger crowd would never do that, its only horseplay, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Shakakan wrote: »
    The following should be legalised:

Smoking Cannabis
    Prostitution
    Abortion
    Same Sex Marraige

What about the death penalty, lot of people love the idea of scrambling babies in the womb but have hissy fits at the thought of pedos and murderers getting hanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I like Glee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

kupus wrote: »
    but of course the rugger crowd would never do that, its only horseplay, right?

High jinks is a term often used as well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't get all the obsession with foodies and food tv programs.
    'Celebrity' chefs...what next Celebrity bus drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The USA is a nation of segregated communities and cultures that never really got together. There is no singular identity, except money and materials and guns . Everybody (in particular Old Irish) seems obsessed with the Old World from which they came, but never learned how to build a culture based on NEW traditions.

No wonder there is such disillusionment, mental illness, conspiracy theories and gun shootings. Everybody just picked up indifferent tolerance and retreated into their foxholes.

I used to think that the radio and ads in GTA as a child were a wacky satire of the American Dream, until I realised people do act this.

The country is only a few centuries old (like the height of Ancient Rome, which was the 2nd greatest achievement ever), in a few hundred years it'll be akin Western Europe in terms of it's mentality. It is fascinating. I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion. But I could see a civil breakdown in the USA before the end of the century, easily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Sodeepithurts

My friend wrote this on Facebook and puts it in perspective.

What happens when your friend slide tackles his colleagues?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I thought messers were immune to annoyance, seeing as they're like wasps at a picnic. Good to know. Will shine that mirror of vexation right back in their clownfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

jugger0 wrote: »
    What about the death penalty, lot of people love the idea of scrambling babies in the womb but have hissy fits at the thought of pedos and murderers getting hanged.
    Who "loves" the idea of scrambling babies in the womb?
    And also, the folks who are rabidly anti abortion are often mad keen on the death penalty. And don't have much time for single mothers.
    Weird that.
    Don't get all the obsession with foodies and food tv programs.
    'Celebrity' chefs...what next Celebrity bus drivers?
    I don't understand why there are celebrity chefs either (apart from just a TV show) but cookery can be very creative and interesting to those who are into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Why don't you just stop being offensive rather than trying to excuse it with "just messing"?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The Water Charge and Property Tax are positive achievements of the current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Female Police Officers are completely useless out on the beat and should be made to work administrative jobs only.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Quite often, I have to say "I'm only messing" to someone because I 110% was only messing, but they've clearly thought I was being serious.

You're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Weight Watchers, Unislim and Slimming World are a complete waste of time. All that pint/syn/calorie counting and going to "meetings" designed to be like AA so one can feel a sense of belonging and absolution for their greed. You are not addicts, you just eat too much. Clever marketing makes you spend a fiver on "special" biscuits when you'd be better off buying a bag of apples. You dont need special food and chewy sweets and shakes. You just need to know when to stop eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Weight Watchers, Unislim and Slimming World are a complete waste of time. All that pint/syn/calorie counting and going to "meetings" designed to be like AA so one can feel a sense of belonging and absolution for their greed. You are not addicts, you just eat too much. Clever marketing makes you spend a fiver on "special" biscuits when you'd be better off buying a bag of apples. You dont need special food and chewy sweets and shakes. You just need to know when to stop eating.

Portion control and some light exercise is all you need to lose weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

OldNotWIse wrote: »

lots of those weightwatcher meals and gimmicky items are ridiculous nonsense if you read the ingredients-frequently containing all sorts of ingredients I find questionable such as soya and canola oil while being low in fat but high in sugar (which stimulates the appetite)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Female Police Officers are completely useless out on the beat and should be made to work administrative jobs only.

One of my female friends joined the force when they dropped the height requirement a few years back.

She's 4foot11 and barely has a pick on her. Even an average sized guy could pick her up over his head with one hand. I've done it a few times in the past messing with her when out drinking.

Not sure how she'd deal with some drugged up 6foot something brick ****house going mental if she ever had to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement