Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Rasheed wrote: »
    God that's a moronic statement.

Are we to confine people with disabilities to certain areas because it's too much to make places accessible?

Accept their taxes but tell them to F off when they just want to be able to go to the same places as you can without fuss?

What would that money be better spent on?

Definitely one of the oddest posts I've seen on this thread.
    What it means is: "I'm not disabled, disability doesn't affect my life, therefore facilities for the disabled is an inconvenience to me personally, so costs on it should be reduced."
    I don't expect them to come back and address the posts to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I can't speak for the previous poster but I also believe that we over-cater for wheelchair access.
    For instance ALL new houses must by law have a wheelchair accessible toilet on the ground floor. This to me is crazy.

We think by catering for wheelchair bound people we are looking after disabled people.

There are many disabled people not in a wheelchair that are being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

The Croke park residents are awkward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I can't speak for the previous poster but I also believe that we over-cater for wheelchair access.
    For instance ALL new houses must by law have a wheelchair accessible toilet on the ground floor. This to me is crazy.

We think by catering for wheelchair bound people we are looking after disabled people.

There are many disabled people not in a wheelchair that are being ignored.

The reason new houses are being made accessible is that, should the worst happen, and the house holder needs the use of a wheelchair, they will be able to stay in their own home. Thus eliminating the need for major renovation, huge money and fuss.

This is usually what the person what a disability will prefer, will keep them out of nursing homes and will decrease the amount of money needed from the council/ the person themselves to make their home accessible and comfortable.

It has nothing to do with Paddy down the road making demands that he should be able to get into every house.

I think it's s great idea to have things right from day one instead of renovating when/ If the needs occur.

Even if, and hopefully you don't, have need for a wheelchair, what about when you're older and the prostate is kicking up? The knees are giving you gip too and you can't make it up the stairs as quick as you could? Makes sense to have a down stairs loo doesn't it?

What disabilities do you think are being ignored in favour for people who use wheelchairs?

How do the building regs cater for the blind or deaf??

• Advertisement

How do the building regs cater for the blind or deaf??

I'm sure you'll agree that should a resident of a house develop a visual or audible impairment, their house would be easier to make accessible that a person then that suffers a stroke or spinal injury and becomes a wheelchair user.

According to board M regulations, such as the one where every house should have a down stairs toilet, that surely would suit a person with a visual impairment more than an upstairs toilet?

What regulations would you bring in to aid people with a hearing difficulty in private houses?

Nothing!
    Similar to how I'd cater for wheelchair users.
    If you want a downstairs toilet half the size of your ground floor then go ahead and have one. However, I believe I shouldn't have to waste valuable living space on a giant toilet when I probably won't be in the same house when I'm old and possibly need a giant loo.

What percentage of the population are wheelchair bound anyway??
    We don't need ALL houses to have these gargantuan loos.

Nothing!
    Similar to how I'd cater for wheelchair users.
    If you want a downstairs toilet half the size of your ground floor then go ahead and have one. However, I believe I shouldn't have to waste valuable living space on a giant toilet when I probably won't be in the same house when I'm old and possibly need a giant loo.

What percentage of the population are wheelchair bound anyway??
    We don't need ALL houses to have these gargantuan loos.

So it's just private buildings that you have a problem with being accessable? Do you agree that every effort should be made for public building to be accessible for all?

As regarding big toilets, they aren't that big and I have already explained to you the rational in having them there. You mightn't intend to be there when you get older but most don't intend on getting a spinal injury either, which could happen tomorrow. What if every house owner decided they 'probably won't be in the house when they're older' and told the engineer to not bother with a down stairs toilet? And you buy that house with no accessible toilet and have to go to great expense and hassle to change it? Wouldn't it just be easier to have it accessible from day one?

The county councils of the country spend millions every year renovating private houses due to a change in the residents mobility. Sometimes they aren't given grant or not enough and have to go to a nursing home. I've seen dozens of such cases.

Finally, the recommendation of down staires toilets in private homes are not [\I] for present wheelchair users so your questions about the petcentage of persons that use wheelchairs is moot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I wish the internet never evolved beyond an educational and strictly/communication work tool.

As it's only ruined a lot of popular culture that loved and has made all the flaws of it apparent, and I can't help be curious and waste my time reading other peoples opinions, which I shouldn't even care about in the first place. Armageddon was one of my favourite films and Lost In Translation as well, yes there is nuances and things to be appreciated in both. :D Both no they are "TEH WORST MOVIE EVER OR THE BEST"

Nothing is just good enough and enjoyable anymore every thing has to be deconstructed.

Preachy big budget smart movies that get the lucky chance of being made and can't wait to shove a message down your throat as if we're not going to listen/watch to actions, without being told. Nolan's Batman movies. Show don't tell.
    Movies should allow teens to grannys to come way with something different

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Humphrey Bogart wasn't very convincing as Philip Marlowe. *Takes Cover*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

,,,, However, I believe I shouldn't have to waste valuable living space on a giant toilet when I probably won't be in the same house when I'm old and possibly need a giant loo.

When you're old ????

- could happen you tomorrow just crossing the road - Splat - wheelchair

- fall down the stairs - wheelchair

- everyone goes " oh that'll never happen me"

gctest50 wrote: »
    When you're old ????

Thank you for wording it so eloquently! People don't get it though and never will unless they wake up on the spinal unit of the Mater. Then you face the constant agonising battle of planning ahead everywhere you go in case there's steps, grass, gravel, hills, uneven ground, cobbles etc where you intend to go.

Can anyone answer what percentage of the population are in wheelchairs??

And it's not just installing a downstairs toilet - it's a downstairs wheelchair accessible toilet.

It's nanny state making every house comply when only a tiny tiny fraction of the population will need this facility.

gctest50 wrote: »
    When you're old ????

Spare me please.
    Why is the state making everybody put these huge toilets in?
    Does it foresee a time when a significant percentage of the population will be wheelchair bound.

And it's not just installing a downstairs toilet - it's a downstairs wheelchair accessible toilet.

It's nanny state making every house comply when only a tiny tiny fraction of the population will need this facility.

It doesn't matter how many people are using wheelchairs presently, it has zero to do with having every house having an accessible toilet.

For the third time, it is so that a person that suffers a debilitating illness or an elderly person can stay in their homes even if they have it rely on a wheelchair to mobilise.

This is where, for once, the government are using fore sight and recognise that we have an aging population that will need care. It is widely accepted that a person is more comfortable and content in their own homes. Therefore if there are accessible facilities, it leaves it easier for them to stay put. Better for them and eases the cost burden on the state as they won't need to be herded into nursing homes.

And please stop using the term 'wheelchair bound', it's offensive and outdated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 jonah_whale

their is a completely disproportionate number of handicapped parking spaces in shopping centres these days , no way are that many people handicapped in some shape or form , most of them are usually empty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

their is a completely disproportionate number of handicapped parking spaces in shopping centres these days , no way are that many people handicapped in some shape or form , most of them are usually empty
    You'd be surprised. Those spaces are bigger than normal and are a life saver to people with mobility issues. I know people who look perfectly healthy to look at but they need those spaces. Trust me, they would gladly swap the perk of being able to park in disability spaces if they could have full health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 jonah_whale

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. Those spaces are bigger than normal and are a life saver to people with mobility issues. I know people who look perfectly healthy to look at but they need those spaces. Trust me, they would gladly swap the perk of being able to park in disability spaces if they could have full health.

half of them are nearly always empty from what i can see , im not saying that people with disability dont require those spaces , im saying their is a disproportionate number of them in car parks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Magaggie wrote: »
    What it means is: "I'm not disabled, disability doesn't affect my life, therefore facilities for the disabled is an inconvenience to me personally, so costs on it should be reduced."
    I don't expect them to come back and address the posts to them.

It is a thread for unpopular opinions. Not a debating thread.

Although in terms of unpopular opinions the argument against disabled access is winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I've no problem with touts. Even in cases where events sell out.

If you hadn't the know-how or the resources to get a tickets(s) then tough titties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I've no problem with touts. Even in cases where events sell out.

If you hadn't the know-how or the resources to get a tickets(s) then tough titties

Agree. They are just middle men. Like any retailer.

It is a thread for unpopular opinions. Not a debating thread.
    Well throughout it, people are giving counter opinions. If a person truly believes their view, they'd support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

You shouldn't be in danger of prison for making someone cry on the internet.

Happens More in UK haven't heard a lot of it here.

I in no way condone what these idiots do but there's a block button there for a reason.

I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it.

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be in danger of prison for making someone cry on the internet.
    Big time. Especially considering you wouldn't be imprisoned for doing so in real life.
    I in no way condone what these idiots do but there's a block button there for a reason.

I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it.
    Nah I think there should be moderation where possible and that people shouldn't be able to harass people.
    But yeh, prison - miles too far. Banning is enough, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Magaggie wrote: »
    Big time. Especially considering you wouldn't be imprisoned for doing so in real life.

Nah I think there should be moderation where possible and that people shouldn't be able to harass people.
    But yeh, prison - miles too far. Banning is enough, IMO.

I just feel it's a dangerous road to be going down. Where does the line be drawn? I've seen despicable things said to people in public eye for various different reasons on Twitter and there's been sentences given out over them.

Just think it's a very slippery slope and everyone knows the risks of joining a forum such as Twitter. Especially if you're a public figure.

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    I just feel it's a dangerous road to be going down. Where does the line be drawn? I've seen despicable things said to people in public eye for various different reasons on Twitter and there's been sentences given out over them.

Just think it's a very slippery slope and everyone knows the risks of joining a forum such as Twitter. Especially if you're a public figure.
    Yeh I agree with you on prison being stupidly draconian for social media harassment, but I have no problem with people being banned on social media for same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Its not so much emotional blackmail but there is a definite media slant towards "think of the people you will leave behind". Friends lost a daughter to suicide at 23 - the whole family was torn apart, and I swear my mother must have reminded us at least twice a day "I'd die if anything happened to you, please dont ever do that to me and your father" - sometimes when someone is struggling with emotional distress, it just seems like another guilt lumped onto them. I fought with depression in my younger years and many a dark time my mother's voice would pop into my head, and the thought of what suicide would do to her was horrendous - to the point that I nearly resented her! But then, if it deters is it not a good thing?

I agree wrt euthanaisia, but floodgate issue a concern too I suppose.
    In the area I come from, suicide has been a big problem and has pretty much affected everyone in the town to varying degrees. Of course detering it is a good thing but I think we need to do more to get to the root of the problem instead of tackling it when the trouble has already begun.

I think stating it as being purely selfish is a gross oversimplification and merely proves that people aren't empathising with the victim and unbelievably don't even see the person as a victim but a "coward" (Which I have also heard being said).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I believe that state interference is too big in certain areas. Some stuff really smacks of nanny-state. For example:

-extra taxes on fizzy drinks
    -upping and upping the prices of cigarettes making them prohibitively expensive
    -plain cigarette packaging
    -film censorship in general (but within reason; there should be some, but not to the extent that exists now)
    -etc.

I guess I have a pretty libertarian streak in me (if people wanna do something, let them. Once it's not illegal, it's consensual, it's not harming anyone else... have at it).

Extra taxes on sugary and fatty foods/drinks. What's that about? It's a choice. People make a choice. Even the most stupid people know that McDonalds/BurgerKing/etc. is bad for them, ditto with Coke/7UP/Fanta/etc. It is not up to the government to tax the shít out of these items. People are still going to drink/eat these products. It'll just make them resentful.

Cigarettes. Again, same as above. We know it's bad for us, we know about cancer and all that. It's a choice. Tempered by an addiction. The answer is not taxing the shít out of the stuff. It will not stop people smoking. It will drive up the black market for cigarettes. And plain packaging will only make it easier for cigarette smugglers to make cheap, counterfeit knock-off stuff that will net them more money, while the tax revenues from tobacco for the government plummet. James Reilly, you are a stupid motherfúcker. Go back to fondling old men's balls and getting them to cough. Ahem!!!

Film censorship. For sure, there are some things that we don't want young, impressionable people to see. But is clipping out scenes from films (that are usually rated "15" or "18" anyway!!!) going to help that? Where is the line? I believe that any film that is rated "18" (and possibly "15"), be unedited and shown in all its glory. The people watching the film (if it's an "18") are legally adults and do not need to be told what they can and cannot watch by some sexually frustrated guy in the IFCO. Simple.

Anything else I can aim my Penn Jillette like take on life at? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

Sadderday wrote: »
    It's selfish to express an opinion on this subject if you've had no knowledge or experience of it.

Anybody thats going to describe a mentally ill person as selfish is a dirty scumbag and hasn't a clue what they are talking about.

Expressing these opinions is insensitive and is never going to help anyone.

Not useful, Never going to be appreciated by anyone and just should not be said.
    That's why I found his stance unusual. He is from the same town as me where suicide has been a major problem. I think he sees the affect it has had on family and friends and blames the victim for the grief caused. Of course everyone is a victim in some way but but somehow along the way my friend hasn't considered what the victim was going through. What he sees as being selfish, the victim most likely saw as being selfless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Hillary Clinton would've been a far better choice for President than Barack Obama.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement